Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #43
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,079
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Maybe on his birthday.
Awww.

Did you get my text? Phone might be being dumb, not sure.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #44
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Awww.

Did you get my text? Phone might be being dumb, not sure.
Yeah, I just responded.
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #45
Caddyroger

 
Caddyroger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Washington state
Posts: 1,861
Thanks overflow for linking the film again. This is the first time i have watched anythnig this long. It was very interesting.
__________________
Caddy
Caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #46
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
Thanks overflow for linking the film again. This is the first time i have watched anythnig this long. It was very interesting.
No problem! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Its a great documentary.
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #47
Warhead
 
Warhead's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Syracuse, Utah
Posts: 268
Question for Overflow:

Was the Cape the only planned launch sight for the shuttle?
Warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #48
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
Question for Overflow:

Was the Cape the only planned launch sight for the shuttle?
Actually, it wasnt. Shortly before the Challenger disaster, NASA was planning on permanently sending Space Shuttle Discovery to launch from VAFB, which is why they had a Shuttle launch facility there (I'm not quite sure of it's still there.) But after the Challenger disaster, they decided against it. Florida remains the best place to launch because of the following reasons..

1. Florida is close to the equator. Where linear velocity is at it's greatest, making it easier for the spacecraft to escape Earth's atmosphere.

2. When KSC was built, there was really nothing out at Cape Canaveral, which was good for earlier launches.

3. The shuttle needs to be launched on the east coast, over the Atlantic. Just in case debris falls or stuff explodes. They didn't want the shuttle over land if that happened, so it wouldnt hit people. Now why didn't they launch from California, and go west over the Pacific? Simple. When you're heading west, you're going against the rotation of the Earth, which is much like going against the wind. Which is why more powerful rockets are launched heading west.
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #49
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...
 
BowtieBelle's Avatar
 
Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 13,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Actually, it wasnt. Shortly before the Challenger disaster, NASA was planning on permanently sending Space Shuttle Discovery to launch from VAFB, which is why they had a Shuttle launch facility there (I'm not quite sure of it's still there.) But after the Challenger disaster, they decided against it. Florida remains the best place to launch because of the following reasons..

1. Florida is close to the equator. Where linear velocity is at it's greatest, making it easier for the spacecraft to escape Earth's atmosphere.

2. When KSC was built, there was really nothing out at Cape Canaveral, which was good for earlier launches.

3. The shuttle needs to be launched on the east coast, over the Atlantic. Just in case debris falls or stuff explodes. They didn't want the shuttle over land if that happened, so it wouldnt hit people. Now why didn't they launch from California, and go west over the Pacific? Simple. When you're heading west, you're going against the rotation of the Earth, which is much like going against the wind. Which is why more powerful rockets are launched heading west.
__________________
"Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff." -CamaroSpike

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #50
Mysteek
Lounge Gangsta!!
 
Mysteek's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NM
Posts: 12,824
I have a feeling I'm gonna learn a lot from this thread!!
Mysteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #51
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 111,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteek View Post
I have a feeling I'm gonna learn a lot from this thread!!
Do you want me to take you to the moon
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #52
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,079
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Jordy's so smart.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #53
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck
 
Drew10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,801
http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...obs/56234378/1

It's space shuttle related. I read this in U.S.A. Today and found it interesting.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #54
Mysteek
Lounge Gangsta!!
 
Mysteek's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NM
Posts: 12,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Do you want me to take you to the moon
And leave me there?? SURE!!! I would enjoy life without bills, chaos, work, and enjoy life until my oxygen tank ran outta air and then die cruelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Jordy's so smart.
She knows her stuff!!
Mysteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #55
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 111,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteek View Post
And leave me there?? SURE!!! I would enjoy life without bills, chaos, work, and enjoy life until my oxygen tank ran outta air and then die cruelly.
I would never leave you there
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #56
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl
 
CamaroSkooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteek View Post
I have a feeling I'm gonna learn a lot from this thread!!
I have a feeling I'm going to lose a lot of productivity in this thread...
__________________

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.