Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #1225
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,311
And to have the link work? Try it.
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #1226
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I like your style!

The gas pedal is impossible to miss in this car
Whoa it took me to one of Killer's posts from 2007..
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #1227
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,311
Uhuh
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #1228
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 111,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Hi Joe!
Hi Jordy
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #1229
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716



Quote:
Feb. 21, 2013 — NASA's final space shuttle to return from Earth orbit will be exhibited to the public in a facility that bears simply the retired orbiter's name, the Florida visitor center that has been entrusted with space shuttle Atlantis' display announced on Thursday (Feb. 21).

NASA's Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Florida also revealed the logo for its new 90,000 square-foot, $100 million "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit, which will be used on monument signage at the entrance and on a variety of retail merchandise, marketing and promotional materials when the building opens to the public on June 29.

"Although the ["Space Shuttle Atlantis"] multimillion-dollar interactive exhibit encompasses much, much more than the display of Atlantis, there is no denying, she is truly the star of the show," Bill Moore, chief operating officer of the visitor complex, said.

NASA retired its veteran shuttle fleet in July 2011, after Atlantis flew the 30-year shuttle program's 135th and final mission. The space agency then awarded the orbiters to museums and science centers in Virginia, New York and California, but decided to keep Atlantis for its own Florida spaceport public attraction.


NASA and Delaware North Companies Parks and Resorts, the company contracted by the space agency to operate the visitor complex at no taxpayer expense, worked with the St. Louis design firm PGAV Destinations to develop the name and logo for Atlantis' display.

Hundreds of name combinations were considered but the parties agreed that the name needed to convey "emotion, fun, excitement and inspiration," and should be easy for adults and children to understand, repeat and remember. Ultimately, the partners chose to go with a simple name that they felt resonated the most powerfully with guests.

"Space Shuttle Atlantis"

"We know that this majestic beauty, which safely ferried men and women to space and back on 33 successful missions, is the real reason that our guests will travel thousands of miles, across oceans and across continents to visit Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex to see her in all her glory," Moore said of Atlantis.

"There are no words to accurately describe the emotions and insights guests will gain when this attraction opens this summer, for there has truly never been anything like it before. Therefore, we decided to be true to the heart and soul of the exhibit and name it simply and reverently, 'Space Shuttle Atlantis,'" he said.


According to Mike Konzen with PGAV Destinations, the exhibit's logo was created using a gradient of fiery oranges to represent the space shuttle's launch and re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere. These symbolic colors were also used in the metallic "swish" to represent the re-entry of the shuttle on the outside of the orbiter's new building.

The light-to-dark range in the logo's lettering is meant to convey the excitement and drama of the shuttle program while the iconic silhouette of the orbiter, or shuttle, is used to represent the "A" in Atlantis. The NASA insignia — or, as it is affectionately referred to, the "meatball" — serves as a reminder in the logo of the "pride and patriotism" in America's space program, while "Kennedy Space Center" pays tribute to the birthplace of the United States' space flight efforts and the launch site for each of the shuttle program's 135 missions.

Milestones moving forward

The visitor complex broke ground for the "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit in January 2012. Atlantis itself was rolled the short distance from its former Kennedy Space Center processing facilities to its display facility 11 months later.


Thursday's reveal of the name and logo, as well as the opening date, marked the latest milestone since Atlantis arrived in the six-story building, was raised off the ground on its display pedestals and then was wrapped in plastic to protect it from gathering dust as the final construction of the building and exhibit continued.

The next milestone is scheduled to begin next month, with the installation of full-scale replicas of the shuttle external fuel tank and twin solid rocket boosters at the entry to the "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit. These components of the space shuttle "stack" will serve as a gateway, with guests walking beneath the massive orange tank, which will be suspended 24 feet (7 meters) above the ground and will be mounted between the two white rocket boosters that reach 185 feet (56 meters) into the air.

Installation of the entryway structure will be completed by June.


Construction continues on schedule inside the exhibit as well. In May, Atlantis will be uncovered from its protective shrink wrap. The orbiter's cargo bay doors will be opened and a full-scale model of the Hubble Space Telescope will be installed inside the building along with some 60 other exhibits and artifacts.

Atlantis' replica Canadarm robotic manipulator, or arm, will also be extended and suspended from the 115-foot tall (35 meter) ceiling.

The "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit presents the shuttle at a tilt of 43.21 degrees, showcasing Atlantis as if it were in space. Guests will view Atlantis as only the astronauts from its 33 missions have previously had a chance to see it from aboard the International Space Station.
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #1230
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716



Quote:
Feb. 21, 2013 — NASA's final space shuttle to return from Earth orbit will be exhibited to the public in a facility that bears simply the retired orbiter's name, the Florida visitor center that has been entrusted with space shuttle Atlantis' display announced on Thursday (Feb. 21).

NASA's Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Florida also revealed the logo for its new 90,000 square-foot, $100 million "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit, which will be used on monument signage at the entrance and on a variety of retail merchandise, marketing and promotional materials when the building opens to the public on June 29.

"Although the ["Space Shuttle Atlantis"] multimillion-dollar interactive exhibit encompasses much, much more than the display of Atlantis, there is no denying, she is truly the star of the show," Bill Moore, chief operating officer of the visitor complex, said.

NASA retired its veteran shuttle fleet in July 2011, after Atlantis flew the 30-year shuttle program's 135th and final mission. The space agency then awarded the orbiters to museums and science centers in Virginia, New York and California, but decided to keep Atlantis for its own Florida spaceport public attraction.


NASA and Delaware North Companies Parks and Resorts, the company contracted by the space agency to operate the visitor complex at no taxpayer expense, worked with the St. Louis design firm PGAV Destinations to develop the name and logo for Atlantis' display.

Hundreds of name combinations were considered but the parties agreed that the name needed to convey "emotion, fun, excitement and inspiration," and should be easy for adults and children to understand, repeat and remember. Ultimately, the partners chose to go with a simple name that they felt resonated the most powerfully with guests.

"Space Shuttle Atlantis"

"We know that this majestic beauty, which safely ferried men and women to space and back on 33 successful missions, is the real reason that our guests will travel thousands of miles, across oceans and across continents to visit Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex to see her in all her glory," Moore said of Atlantis.

"There are no words to accurately describe the emotions and insights guests will gain when this attraction opens this summer, for there has truly never been anything like it before. Therefore, we decided to be true to the heart and soul of the exhibit and name it simply and reverently, 'Space Shuttle Atlantis,'" he said.


According to Mike Konzen with PGAV Destinations, the exhibit's logo was created using a gradient of fiery oranges to represent the space shuttle's launch and re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere. These symbolic colors were also used in the metallic "swish" to represent the re-entry of the shuttle on the outside of the orbiter's new building.

The light-to-dark range in the logo's lettering is meant to convey the excitement and drama of the shuttle program while the iconic silhouette of the orbiter, or shuttle, is used to represent the "A" in Atlantis. The NASA insignia — or, as it is affectionately referred to, the "meatball" — serves as a reminder in the logo of the "pride and patriotism" in America's space program, while "Kennedy Space Center" pays tribute to the birthplace of the United States' space flight efforts and the launch site for each of the shuttle program's 135 missions.

Milestones moving forward

The visitor complex broke ground for the "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit in January 2012. Atlantis itself was rolled the short distance from its former Kennedy Space Center processing facilities to its display facility 11 months later.


Thursday's reveal of the name and logo, as well as the opening date, marked the latest milestone since Atlantis arrived in the six-story building, was raised off the ground on its display pedestals and then was wrapped in plastic to protect it from gathering dust as the final construction of the building and exhibit continued.

The next milestone is scheduled to begin next month, with the installation of full-scale replicas of the shuttle external fuel tank and twin solid rocket boosters at the entry to the "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit. These components of the space shuttle "stack" will serve as a gateway, with guests walking beneath the massive orange tank, which will be suspended 24 feet (7 meters) above the ground and will be mounted between the two white rocket boosters that reach 185 feet (56 meters) into the air.

Installation of the entryway structure will be completed by June.


Construction continues on schedule inside the exhibit as well. In May, Atlantis will be uncovered from its protective shrink wrap. The orbiter's cargo bay doors will be opened and a full-scale model of the Hubble Space Telescope will be installed inside the building along with some 60 other exhibits and artifacts.

Atlantis' replica Canadarm robotic manipulator, or arm, will also be extended and suspended from the 115-foot tall (35 meter) ceiling.

The "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit presents the shuttle at a tilt of 43.21 degrees, showcasing Atlantis as if it were in space. Guests will view Atlantis as only the astronauts from its 33 missions have previously had a chance to see it from aboard the International Space Station.
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #1231
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
Today in space history: 1996: STS-75 launches the Tethered Satellite System to study the electrodynamics of the ionsphere.










__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #1232
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur
 
Dznts's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 21,971
__________________
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #1233
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
Hey D!
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #1234
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur
 
Dznts's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 21,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Hey D!
hello there. how are you doing?
__________________
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #1235
atma
disco kryptonite
 
atma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Champaign
Posts: 1,110
__________________
atma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #1236
Vengeance Graphix


 
Vengeance Graphix's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 10,607
Found this clip on youtube and had to post it here. Maybe or maybe you havent seen this but i thought it was awesome.. If you have a really good pair of headphones like beats by dr. dre i recommend using those or really good computer speakers be sure to turn the volume up!.. makes you feel like youre one the shuttle with all the bass!

every time i watch this somehow i can feel the vibration through my body.. weird lol
Vengeance Graphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #1237
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur
 
Dznts's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 21,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVengeancex28 View Post
Found this clip on youtube and had to post it here. Maybe or maybe you havent seen this but i thought it was awesome.. If you have a really good pair of headphones like beats by dr. dre i recommend using those or really good computer speakers be sure to turn the volume up!.. makes you feel like youre one the shuttle with all the bass!

every time i watch this somehow i can feel the vibration through my body.. weird lol
thats awesome!
__________________
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #1238
Vengeance Graphix


 
Vengeance Graphix's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 10,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
thats awesome!

it makes me want to close my eyes, take my chair and place it facing the ceiling
Vengeance Graphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #1239
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur
 
Dznts's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 21,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVengeancex28 View Post

it makes me want to close my eyes, take my chair and place it facing the ceiling
__________________
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #1240
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07, AudiQ53.0T
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Camano Island, WA
Posts: 8,996
OK, some of you might find this interesting.

Steam just announced some new "games", and one of them is this simulation called "Kerbal Space Program". It's actually pretty cool and delves into orbital mechanics, etc.

It's not a complete game/simulation yet, however it's even pretty cool as is.

__________________
Audi Q5 S-Line 3.0T
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Steve Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #1241
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
The new home for Space Shuttle Atlantis is getting closer and closer to it's opening date of June 29th, 2013.

__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.