Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #301
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market
 
Drives: Mercedes
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcplus14 View Post
Does this mean we'll be going through our stock clutches quicker now?
no.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #302
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,209
sweet
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #303
dcplus14
 
dcplus14's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
no.
Well that explains much. It seems that if the frequency of me shifting gears goes up the more likely I'll be using the clutch more frequently as well.

I'm guessing that the clutch is the same in the 1LE option, so in the long run, it may only be a minimal difference in clutch wear.
__________________
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS: Black on Black, Hurst
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #304
pouncer72
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 374
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
Total install cost for the 3.91s for me was $159.50 at the local diff/trans shop plus the cost of an axle seal. I brought them the pumpkin. Hell of a deal if you ask me. Cant wait to get it back in the car
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #305
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
Total install cost for the 3.91s for me was $159.50 at the local diff/trans shop plus the cost of an axle seal. I brought them the pumpkin. Hell of a deal if you ask me. Cant wait to get it back in the car
That's awesome!!! That was my plan too...to just bring them the pumpkin. Did you install the posi-fix or billet caps?
__________________
ARH 1-7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats, Stainless Works 3" Retro-Chambered Cat Back, New Era OTR CAI, AAM 3.91 R&P, Eaton TrueTrac Posi,
JRE Billet Caps, LPW Diff Cover, BMR Drag Race Suspension Package (DRP007), BMR Toe Rods (TR004), BMR Xtreme Drag Bar (XSB004),
BMR Sway Bar End Links (ELK004), BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop (DSL014), Farks No-Hop UCA Bushings, Pfadt Solid Subframe Bushings,
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #306
pouncer72
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 374
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
No, I don't believe either are necessary with an automatic. 6 speed cars break a lot more parts though, the caps would be very beneficial for a 6sp.
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #307
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
No, I don't believe either are necessary with an automatic. 6 speed cars break a lot more parts though, the caps would be very beneficial for a 6sp.
True....True. I have the manual, and definitely plan on beefing up the rear end a little bit when I change the gears. But I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to just put in the posi-fix, or change out the entire posi-unit for that Eaton Tru-Trac. I seriously doubt I'll ever be over like 580hp or so, so I'm thinking the posi-fix will probably be enough.
__________________
ARH 1-7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats, Stainless Works 3" Retro-Chambered Cat Back, New Era OTR CAI, AAM 3.91 R&P, Eaton TrueTrac Posi,
JRE Billet Caps, LPW Diff Cover, BMR Drag Race Suspension Package (DRP007), BMR Toe Rods (TR004), BMR Xtreme Drag Bar (XSB004),
BMR Sway Bar End Links (ELK004), BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop (DSL014), Farks No-Hop UCA Bushings, Pfadt Solid Subframe Bushings,
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #308
Kent2010
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
Total install cost for the 3.91s for me was $159.50 at the local diff/trans shop plus the cost of an axle seal. I brought them the pumpkin. Hell of a deal if you ask me. Cant wait to get it back in the car
How is everyone accounting for the new gear ratio? A tune? Can it be changed via a Tech2 by a dealer?

I'd love to have the 3.91's but I don't want to risk my entire 100k mile drivetrain warranty by adding a tune. I am hoping there is another option.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #309
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent2010 View Post
How is everyone accounting for the new gear ratio? A tune? Can it be changed via a Tech2 by a dealer?

I'd love to have the 3.91's but I don't want to risk my entire 100k mile drivetrain warranty by adding a tune. I am hoping there is another option.
Auto or stick?

I know the auto requires a tune. I don't know about stick.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #310
pouncer72
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 374
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
Tune.
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #311
pouncer72
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 374
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
True....True. I have the manual, and definitely plan on beefing up the rear end a little bit when I change the gears. But I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to just put in the posi-fix, or change out the entire posi-unit for that Eaton Tru-Trac. I seriously doubt I'll ever be over like 580hp or so, so I'm thinking the posi-fix will probably be enough.
The posi fix helps the one wheel peel, and the billet caps help the gears, but the weak point is the posi unit's spider gears themselves. They will die, no matter what you do under a large shock load (M6 clutch dump + traction). Best bet to keeping the 8.6 alive is to go to an eaton/auburn helical type posi, now that one is available. If I destroy another set of spiders, one will end up in my car.
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #312
khislop007
ZEUSS
 
khislop007's Avatar
 
Drives: Hard!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 2,575
What else comes with the gear set? Do you have to buy the install kit separate?
__________________
khislop007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #313
camarostar2010
 
Drives: 2011 SS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: new jersey
Posts: 324
I just destroyed my spider set...recommendations from the best "DSS, GFORCE, etc..." is a 9 bolt rear with eaton trutrac or wavetrac. Cost big bucks, but they are bullet proof...for anything doing 600 rwhp or over its a must do. I got 10k out of my rear without one track day and spirited driving only, then on a good shift with maybe 60 percent throttle she went to bits.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #314
SLO RYDE
SLO RYDE
 
SLO RYDE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS 400hp+ / K&N CAI./
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winter Spings, FL
Posts: 355
Re 3.91 gears
This the best news I've read in a while.
__________________
2011 2SS/RS IOM. / K&N CAI./ V Max Throtle Body / Pypes Headers & Pype Bomb exhaust. / Texas Speed 231/236 112 Ls3 cam/ RX Catch Can/ SLP Under Drive Pulley/ American Racing Torque M Wheels painted. / CBD Rear Wing, SunCoast Creations Bumbble Bee Hood, Heritage Grill/ SLP "SS" Badges and tuned by "TampaTuning.com" & Next Level Performance
SLO RYDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #315
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
How do the wheels work? The 1LE wears 20x10 on all four corners right? Are they unique rear 20x10s with a different offset or are the 20x11s with 285s mounted?
both 10's and 11's are wrapped in 285s
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #316
pouncer72
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 374
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
What else comes with the gear set? Do you have to buy the install kit separate?
It comes with a pinion crush washer, pinion nut, and new ring gear bolts. All you should need are shims for the pinion, you shouldn't need a full install kit unless you want to swap your current bearings for new ones, or something is wrong with the ones you have. Most driveline shops will stock the necessary shims, or you can order just a shim kit from Yukon gear for relatively cheap.
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #317
khislop007
ZEUSS
 
khislop007's Avatar
 
Drives: Hard!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
It comes with a pinion crush washer, pinion nut, and new ring gear bolts. All you should need are shims for the pinion, you shouldn't need a full install kit unless you want to swap your current bearings for new ones, or something is wrong with the ones you have. Most driveline shops will stock the necessary shims, or you can order just a shim kit from Yukon gear for relatively cheap.
Sweet! Oh man I can't wait to get this done.
__________________
khislop007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #318
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
Total install cost for the 3.91s for me was $159.50 at the local diff/trans shop plus the cost of an axle seal. I brought them the pumpkin. Hell of a deal if you ask me. Cant wait to get it back in the car
Was that $159 for just the install?

Assuming even worst case of $300 for gears and then $160 for install....freakin' smoking deal. To me that's more realistic of a gear swap than the $1,400 bend over I had to take.

Love the 3.91 gears though. I can't look back now. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they stay together for a long, long time.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #319
Smkymts
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 115
All this info is great for the DIY mechanics. But in the end, the proof is in the ETA! If you have a 2SS M6, what is a realistic gain in 60' times, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times over the stock rear gears, with everything else being equal. Just trying to figure out the true bang for the buck verses the hype. Especially if your running a M6 and have to shift an extra gear with the 3.91 before the 1/4 mile finish line. What is everyone hoping to gain by doing this swap? I'm not a mechanic, so not real schooled in technical side.
Smkymts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #320
Avalnch

 
Avalnch's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 826
They Fit!

Now just need to break them in. Will be picking the car up tomorrow. Note the Pfadt diff bushings?
Name:  inhousing.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  179.2 KB
__________________
C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook
Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter
Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms & differential bushings.
BMR adjustable toe-rods. Pedders ZL1 barz, rear cradle inserts, radius arm & steering rack bushings.
Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace (minus tunnel cross-over piece for SCCA rules)
1LE 3.91 gearzzz. Drive Shaft Shop Road Race Axle Upgrade. TurnOne power steering pump.
Forgeline GA3-R 19x11 + Hoosier R6 315/30R19
426 HP @ 5550 RPM / 427 TQ @ 4700 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #321
ackeight

 
ackeight's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smkymts View Post
All this info is great for the DIY mechanics. But in the end, the proof is in the ETA! If you have a 2SS M6, what is a realistic gain in 60' times, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times over the stock rear gears, with everything else being equal. Just trying to figure out the true bang for the buck verses the hype. Especially if your running a M6 and have to shift an extra gear with the 3.91 before the 1/4 mile finish line. What is everyone hoping to gain by doing this swap? I'm not a mechanic, so not real schooled in technical side.
I can imagine this swap is more of a benefit to road racing than straight line. Great deal regardless. I'm adding this to my list of things to do. Everyone I've talked to besides supercharged guys say this is there favorite mod.
__________________
ADM tuned 412HP/407RWTQ. Kooks 2" headers w/ cats, ADM race intake, Vmax TB, Pedders XA coilovers and ZL1 sways. 1le clone
ackeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #322
Big C CamaroSS

 
Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,149
I have been reading about the 3.91/1LE gears being a big improvement on the stock gears (2010 Camaro SS). And I think its a mod that is worth doing, but doing RIGHT!!! With the rear end dropped for the gears install, what Pedders bushings should I install for even more improvement?

I searched, but I'm really walking in a fog on this one. Can anyone help me out?
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #323
pouncer72
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 374
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Was that $159 for just the install?

Assuming even worst case of $300 for gears and then $160 for install....freakin' smoking deal. To me that's more realistic of a gear swap than the $1,400 bend over I had to take.

Love the 3.91 gears though. I can't look back now. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they stay together for a long, long time.
Yep. Paid $260 for gears, $159 for install, and $52 for a new axle seal since I tore mine. Can't beat it with a stick
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #324
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
The posi fix helps the one wheel peel, and the billet caps help the gears, but the weak point is the posi unit's spider gears themselves. They will die, no matter what you do under a large shock load (M6 clutch dump + traction). Best bet to keeping the 8.6 alive is to go to an eaton/auburn helical type posi, now that one is available. If I destroy another set of spiders, one will end up in my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
I just destroyed my spider set...recommendations from the best "DSS, GFORCE, etc..." is a 9 bolt rear with eaton trutrac or wavetrac. Cost big bucks, but they are bullet proof...for anything doing 600 rwhp or over its a must do. I got 10k out of my rear without one track day and spirited driving only, then on a good shift with maybe 60 percent throttle she went to bits.
I think you guys just convinced me to spend the extra money and go with the Eaton TruTrac Posi unit instead of just the Jannetty Posi-Fix. Thanks for making me spend an extra $350!!!
__________________
ARH 1-7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats, Stainless Works 3" Retro-Chambered Cat Back, New Era OTR CAI, AAM 3.91 R&P, Eaton TrueTrac Posi,
JRE Billet Caps, LPW Diff Cover, BMR Drag Race Suspension Package (DRP007), BMR Toe Rods (TR004), BMR Xtreme Drag Bar (XSB004),
BMR Sway Bar End Links (ELK004), BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop (DSL014), Farks No-Hop UCA Bushings, Pfadt Solid Subframe Bushings,
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.

Last edited by blazzin1; 09-12-2012 at 11:09 AM.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #325
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
I have been reading about the 3.91/1LE gears being a big improvement on the stock gears (2010 Camaro SS). And I think its a mod that is worth doing, but doing RIGHT!!! With the rear end dropped for the gears install, what Pedders bushings should I install for even more improvement?

I searched, but I'm really walking in a fog on this one. Can anyone help me out?
Yes, this is a really good time to replace the differential bushings and the rear sub-frame (cradle) bushings. I'll be doing both. With the differential bushings, each manufacturer usually has a "street" and a "race" version, basically one is a little softer than the other. With the Cradle bushings, in addition to a "street" and "race" version, there is usually a "insert" that is easier to install than the full bushing, but isn't quite as effective as the full bushing. Basically, the harder the bushing, the more NVH (Noise-Vibration-Harshness) you will have. Although....Pfadt claims that their solid aluminum bushings do not increase NVH any more than any other manufacturer. So....believe what you want. I'll be going with the solid bushings.
__________________
ARH 1-7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats, Stainless Works 3" Retro-Chambered Cat Back, New Era OTR CAI, AAM 3.91 R&P, Eaton TrueTrac Posi,
JRE Billet Caps, LPW Diff Cover, BMR Drag Race Suspension Package (DRP007), BMR Toe Rods (TR004), BMR Xtreme Drag Bar (XSB004),
BMR Sway Bar End Links (ELK004), BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop (DSL014), Farks No-Hop UCA Bushings, Pfadt Solid Subframe Bushings,
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.

Last edited by blazzin1; 09-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.