Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #324
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
The posi fix helps the one wheel peel, and the billet caps help the gears, but the weak point is the posi unit's spider gears themselves. They will die, no matter what you do under a large shock load (M6 clutch dump + traction). Best bet to keeping the 8.6 alive is to go to an eaton/auburn helical type posi, now that one is available. If I destroy another set of spiders, one will end up in my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
I just destroyed my spider set...recommendations from the best "DSS, GFORCE, etc..." is a 9 bolt rear with eaton trutrac or wavetrac. Cost big bucks, but they are bullet proof...for anything doing 600 rwhp or over its a must do. I got 10k out of my rear without one track day and spirited driving only, then on a good shift with maybe 60 percent throttle she went to bits.
I think you guys just convinced me to spend the extra money and go with the Eaton TruTrac Posi unit instead of just the Jannetty Posi-Fix. Thanks for making me spend an extra $350!!!

Last edited by blazzin1; 09-12-2012 at 12:09 PM.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #325
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
I have been reading about the 3.91/1LE gears being a big improvement on the stock gears (2010 Camaro SS). And I think its a mod that is worth doing, but doing RIGHT!!! With the rear end dropped for the gears install, what Pedders bushings should I install for even more improvement?

I searched, but I'm really walking in a fog on this one. Can anyone help me out?
Yes, this is a really good time to replace the differential bushings and the rear sub-frame (cradle) bushings. I'll be doing both. With the differential bushings, each manufacturer usually has a "street" and a "race" version, basically one is a little softer than the other. With the Cradle bushings, in addition to a "street" and "race" version, there is usually a "insert" that is easier to install than the full bushing, but isn't quite as effective as the full bushing. Basically, the harder the bushing, the more NVH (Noise-Vibration-Harshness) you will have. Although....Pfadt claims that their solid aluminum bushings do not increase NVH any more than any other manufacturer. So....believe what you want. I'll be going with the solid bushings.

Last edited by blazzin1; 09-12-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #326
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
For those that have been able to purchase the 3.91s from the dealer...What VIN # are you using? Can you share it with me (via PM if you like)? I visited my local dealer on Monday and they were willing to sell the gears to me at wholesale ($248)...but to even place the order, they need a valid 1LE VIN to associate with the order. Not sure if the guy was BS'n me (he seemed to be playing it straight with me...even commented what an awesome price that was)...but said he was helpless without a VIN#.

Any help on this is appreciated!!

2010 Camaro SS: TSP 231/236 cam, Kooks LTs, Magnaflow 16580 catback, Airaid CAI, U/D pulley, Pfadt-Stage 3, MTI shifter, MPD1 spoiler, S-S Splitter, 22" Nurburgrings

Ebbsnflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #327
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post
For those that have been able to purchase the 3.91s from the dealer...What VIN # are you using? Can you share it with me (via PM if you like)? I visited my local dealer on Monday and they were willing to sell the gears to me at wholesale ($248)...but to even place the order, they need a valid 1LE VIN to associate with the order. Not sure if the guy was BS'n me (he seemed to be playing it straight with me...even commented what an awesome price that was)...but said he was helpless without a VIN#.

Any help on this is appreciated!!
I ordered from Maureen from Rodgers Chevrolet.....(well, I asked to be put on her waiting list). She never asked for any VIN #, and I know she has already sold her available stock to other folks too. Not sure why your dealer needs a VIN #.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #328
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Thanks blazzin1
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #329
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Are the 1LE axles better than the SS, or are they still the same tapered ones?
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #330
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Are the 1LE axles better than the SS, or are they still the same tapered ones?
According to the "Official" 1LE thread....it's supposed to have:

"Higher-capacity rear-axle half shafts to cope with increased levels of traction".

Now how exactly they are higher capacity....I don't know....maybe larger diameter?, better material?, improved CV joints? I can't answer that one yet....but yes, somehow, they are supposed to be better.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #331
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Yep. Paid $260 for gears, $159 for install, and $52 for a new axle seal since I tore mine. Can't beat it with a stick
You're going to have to excuse my ignorance, but what did you mean when you said that you brought them the pumpkin? So if I order the gears for $260, and show up at a dealer asking them to install it, they'll have everything needed?
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #332
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabamaro View Post
You're going to have to excuse my ignorance, but what did you mean when you said that you brought them the pumpkin? So if I order the gears for $260, and show up at a dealer asking them to install it, they'll have everything needed?
I took the differential itself out and brought it to the shop, out of the car. The diff is often called the chunk, or pumpkin. Removing it is ~60% of the labor a shop would charge, so it saved me some money by doing that part myself.
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #333
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Just got back from first drive, dear god these gears are awesome. My car is no slouch (low 10s all day) and these changed the manner of the car entirely. No more low speed lugging, or fighting the torque converter at part throttle. Car drives 10 times better, and has so much more SNAP on the go. No doubt it will go faster as soon as I can get back to the track. 9.99 n/a?

If you're on the fence, don't be. These gears are awesome (and whisper quiet)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #334
blazzin1

Quote:
Just got back from first drive, dear god these gears are awesome. My car is no slouch (low 10s all day) and these changed the manner of the car entirely. No more low speed lugging, or fighting the torque converter at part throttle. Car drives 10 times better, and has so much more SNAP on the go. No doubt it will go faster as soon as I can get back to the track. 9.99 n/a?

If you're on the fence, don't be. These gears are awesome (and whisper quiet)
Congratulations!!! I can't wait!!!! My only hesitation is deciding if I should just pay the extra $200 and get 4.11's instead???? Oh well, I've got time to figure it out.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #335
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Did my first round-town 30 km breakin session today after work. The car drives completely different. I'm cruising around in 4th gear a lot more and can putter off in 3rd when stuck in traffic. Driving off the line is a lot easier too. The car does not hesitate and wants to jump forward. Got the revs up too and it pulls strong now through 4th. There's so much more get up and go that at one point when I was in fourth, I thought it was in 3rd so I blithely shifted out of gear only to realize that I was already in 4th.
Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods.
Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace
1LE 3.91 gearzzz. Drive Shaft Shop Road Race Axle Upgrade. TurnOne power steering pump.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #336
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Help, can't set speedo with Diablosport Predator

It appears that my Diablosport Predator tuner can only set the speedo via tire size entries. I went through the parameters and can't find anywhere to enter the new gear ratio.

What tool will do this?

Whoops! My car's an M6, does it need recalibrating??
Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods.
Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace
1LE 3.91 gearzzz. Drive Shaft Shop Road Race Axle Upgrade. TurnOne power steering pump.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #337
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Drives: 2014 C7; 2015 2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
It appears that my Diablosport Predator tuner can only set the speedo via tire size entries. I went through the parameters and can't find anywhere to enter the new gear ratio.

What tool will do this?

may need a laptop style tune.... never used handhelds.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #338
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Quote:

What tool will do this?

You can probably spoof the tire size to make it work, or at least close, but you need a real tune (not a handheld) to adjust the ratio
Old 09-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #339
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:

What tool will do this?

If the M6 needs adjustment -- Tell the predator you have a 25.3" tire. That will get you very close.

If my math is correct -- Its just ratios --- 28.68" tire is to a 3.45 gear as a 25.3" is to 3.91 gear.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #340
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
It's great to hear all this good news...and happy installers.

Going to see about ordering my set tomorrow.

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote