Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

View Poll Results: Are you happy witht he design of the temp/audio controls
Yes I love them, wouldnt change a thing 44 25.58%
They are a bit wierd, but I can live with it 64 37.21%
No, I hope that they are changed before the car is released 49 28.49%
A real man dosent need a radio, all we need is a gas petal, and a steering wheel 15 8.72%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #51
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
going back to the audi thing...

my dad has always been a porsche guy, he has had 9 over the years and as many as 3 at one time. last year he had a Carrera 4S and GT2 when he bought an Audi S8.

he hasnt driven the porsche since (except when he taught me how to drive stick)

audi pwns.

And anyone who DOESNT like Audi interiors... has probaly never been in one.

not a good one anyways.
very much agreed my friend.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #52
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Oh...it has a radio...that's cool. Does it work? Good.

oops wrong site, I thought this was Camaro5 not oddie

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #53
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
my biggest gripe about this car is the audio/temp controls. Is it me or do the temp controls look like a video game controler!?! Its freakin disgusting, i cant believe they made such a great looking car and have ruined it with the interior. I pray they change it or im going to have to spend lots of money ditching that junk.

I mean you look at this car and it says; edgy stealty technology but the guts of a HHR or something.
Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #54
Tomash

Drives: (black 2SS Camaro), Suzuki SX4
These controllers look weird. As far as I can accept the futuristic clocks, the controllers shown in OP just don't make it for me.

And I'd hate to not have an option to put other-than-stock radio unit. I'm not into CD swappers and stuff like that -- give me a decent radio (good sound quality!) with USB port, support for better lossy formats than MP3 (ogg would be nice) and I'm good to go
Tomash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #55
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Of course im referring to the spy shots of lately, im just really surprised they didnt keep the theme going of the F-117 look.

Please GM...at least put in Bose speakers to make up for this.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #56
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Personally, I like the Audi's interiors.
same
Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #57
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
The controls really aren't that important to me. Just as long as I can buy it with the cheapest (standard) stereo and replace the deck with a better one for 1/4 the price of what the factory would charge, I'm ok with it =D.
- Xanthos
Old 06-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #58
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Honestly I'd like to see something similar to the CTS's interior. I'm all for the retro look, but I agree that there also needs to be a modern interior, because that's what today's consumers want. I'd like to be able to set a temperature and have the car switch heat/air conditioning on only when needed, or turn it off altogether. I love the idea of the slide-up screen in the CTS, because I think that could keep the whole retro look intact, while the screen is down, but when you want to adjust the temperature, change the disc that's playing (if there's a changer), XM radio controls, navigation, or any of those features that may or may not be there, you can use the screen, and you can put it right back down when you want optimal viewing of the 'stang in your rear-view mirror.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #59
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Honestly when I get this car I probably won't even touch the stereo for a month. All I want to hear is that Engine growl. And seriously, no offense intended, but if one small thing like a radio knob turns you from buying this car, you never really wanted it in the first place. It's about the heritage of the Camaro, the friendships owners make with other enthusiasts, about owning a vehicle of the bloodline that has smacked down rivals time after time.

But that's just my opinion.
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #60
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Tired of looking at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
Honestly when I get this car I probably won't even touch the stereo for a month. All I want to hear is that Engine growl. And seriously, no offense intended, but if one small thing like a radio knob turns you from buying this car, you never really wanted it in the first place. It's about the heritage of the Camaro, the friendships owners make with other enthusiasts, about owning a vehicle of the bloodline that has smacked down rivals time after time.

But that's just my opinion.
you are probably right. The car is getting old already, im tired of reading about it for the past 2 years and still have to wait another 7 to 8 months before we see them on the road. Other cars are starting to appeal to me more and more as the weeks go by, like the cts-v and the GT-R. But by the time comes that these cars are available gas will more than likely be around $5 a gallon, so the Chevy Beat may be more of a reality.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #61
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley78 View Post
you are probably right. The car is getting old already, im tired of reading about it for the past 2 years and still have to wait another 7 to 8 months before we see them on the road.
I am sorry, but if that is the case you really aren't interested in the Camaro. I have seen pictures of the Camaro for a long time, but thats much different than seeing it in person, owning it, and driving it. Am I upset they showed it so early? Yes. Do I still want it? Absolutely. I love the CTS also, the GT-R meh. However, these vehicles are in a different league than the Camaro. The Camaro is affordable performance, the CTS-V and GT-R are more luxury/expensive cars.
PA FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #62
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley78 View Post
you are probably right. The car is getting old already, im tired of reading about it for the past 2 years and still have to wait another 7 to 8 months before we see them on the road. Other cars are starting to appeal to me more and more as the weeks go by, like the cts-v and the GT-R. But by the time comes that these cars are available gas will more than likely be around $5 a gallon, so the Chevy Beat may be more of a reality.

While looking at pics of the Camaro may not excite me like it did the first year and a half or two, my desire for one hasn't lessened a bit. I want to look at MY Camaro now, not the pictures anymore...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #63
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
You know I dont mind waiting. Let GM take its time. The Camaros been gone for a long time, and personaly I'd rather wait a little longer so that its perfect. Not like ford did with the mustang in '05, bad wiring, poor performance, ect. And it's not like GM isnt listening to us. I've seen alot of changes based on consumer opinions.
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #64
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
You know I dont mind waiting. Let GM take its time. The Camaros been gone for a long time, and personaly I'd rather wait a little longer so that its perfect. Not like ford did with the mustang in '05, bad wiring, poor performance, ect. And it's not like GM isnt listening to us. I've seen alot of changes based on consumer opinions.
I concur, I rather wait longer and have a reliable/high quality car. I plan on keeping this car a long time, those area's are important to me.
PA FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #65
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
I LOVE this car and the interior is overall, pretty nice looking. But the radio / heater / AC controls are the worst part of the car.

First, why does EVERYTHING have to attempt to look retro? This part ended up looking clunky and as others have said, like a Playstation controller. That doesn't seem like a smart way to appeal to a mass market.

Are the heater/ac controls all going to be manual controls? Is there no automatic electronic control where you set the temperature and the car does the rest ?

In a car that needs to be successful, why would GM make something like this totally proprietary to the Camaro? The Corvette was done very nicely using a standard double dinn head unit with optional navigation. Heater AC controls are also very nicely done on the Corvette. Why not borrow from that already proven design, make some minor cosmetic changes and save money by making reuse of existing parts?

If Chevy adds true navigation after 2010, it looks like they'll need yet another proprietary design for the Camaro and can't reuse a unit from another car.

I really dislike the radio / heater / ac section of the Camaro. It looks odd and appears to be nearly impossible to change in the aftermarket. To me, it's the only negative aspect of the whole car. I can live with it but I don't like it.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #66
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
I LOVE this car and the interior is overall, pretty nice looking. But the radio / heater / AC controls are the worst part of the car.

First, why does EVERYTHING have to attempt to look retro? This part ended up looking clunky and as others have said, like a Playstation controller. That doesn't seem like a smart way to appeal to a mass market.

Are the heater/ac controls all going to be manual controls? Is there no automatic electronic control where you set the temperature and the car does the rest ?

In a car that needs to be successful, why would GM make something like this totally proprietary to the Camaro? The Corvette was done very nicely using a standard double dinn head unit with optional navigation. Heater AC controls are also very nicely done on the Corvette. Why not borrow from that already proven design, make some minor cosmetic changes and save money by making reuse of existing parts?

If Chevy adds true navigation after 2010, it looks like they'll need yet another proprietary design for the Camaro and can't reuse a unit from another car.

I really dislike the radio / heater / ac section of the Camaro. It looks odd and appears to be nearly impossible to change in the aftermarket. To me, it's the only negative aspect of the whole car. I can live with it but I don't like it.
I agree, I am hoping the SS will have the automatic climate controls and optional navigation system. From what I heard the car will offer an in dash navigation system, but I don't think it will be available at launch.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #67
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
yea i doubt the nav will be available at launch. probably around the time the 'vert comes out it will come out and as for the climate controls and such i don't hate them but i don't like them either. they could be better but im not complaining.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #68
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1ove3 View Post
yea i doubt the nav will be available at launch. probably around the time the 'vert comes out it will come out and as for the climate controls and such i don't hate them but i don't like them either. they could be better but im not complaining.
Those climate controls are only so-so. For a SS I think automatic dual-zone should be standard, the base models will be fine with the climate controls shown in the Camaro so far.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #69
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
My God. Look that is the same interior that was used on the 2006 camaro coup concept. That is not the production Camaro interior. If you are going to start a thread then show the right info.
Attached Images

13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #70
ucla1ove3

yea i knew that ^^ just too lazy to go find a picture lol.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #71
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Either I just found a time machine or we have a zombie thread from the dead.

Everything isn't retro. I wouldn't categorize an HID option or the GMPP ground effects kit we've seen as a product of the past. Chevrolet has taken cues from past Camaros, especially the first generation, and brought about a new Camaro. Even the badges aren't classic. We won't be getting cursive Chevrolet badges or even the old, round SS badges with which we are familiar. It is a modern car with a classic heritage.

The possibility of a future navigation system is pretty real, but OnStar can give turn-by-turn directions if that's really important. You can always get a Garmin.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #72
ucla1ove3

i like nav systems. just not on sports cars and muscle cars, especially not on an american classic like the Camaro. I like it more on like cars like the Lincoln MKX. that cars tech. is pretty legit and works for it.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #73
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Everything isn't retro.
The only excuse I can come up with for that radio / HVAC control center is RETRO. Otherwise, I can't see any designer / engineer making it look like that.

The exterior of this car could not possibly be more beautiful. They 100% nailed it. It should appeal to a huge number of people. To keep that appeal satisfying to a mass market, the interior needs to hold up it's part of the deal and it has a LOT of competition in the market. There are a lot of car manufacturers that have figured out how to make very appealing interiors. Even Chevy has done it with the Malibu. I don't know why they felt like the radio / HVAC controls in the Camaro needed to look like that. People are comfortable with a typical double-dinn head unit, which Chevrolet already offers in the Corvette and it looks great. Why reinvent that wheel ?
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #74
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
The only excuse I can come up with for that radio / HVAC control center is RETRO. Otherwise, I can't see any designer / engineer making it look like that.

The exterior of this car could not possibly be more beautiful. They 100% nailed it. It should appeal to a huge number of people. To keep that appeal satisfying to a mass market, the interior needs to hold up it's part of the deal and it has a LOT of competition in the market. There are a lot of car manufacturers that have figured out how to make very appealing interiors. Even Chevy has done it with the Malibu. I don't know why they felt like the radio / HVAC controls in the Camaro needed to look like that. People are comfortable with a typical double-dinn head unit, which Chevrolet already offers in the Corvette and it looks great. Why reinvent that wheel ?
I think, mostly...there was a quest for uniquness. For instance, me personally: Though I love the Malibu, and the G8 interiors...I want something different. The Camaro's interior, by taking cues from "then" (gauge pods, and 4-pack) and translating them into "now", is VERY different. And to me; very appealing.

but the radio HVAC...where do you sense retro? Besides the '67 having two knobs...that's where all similarities end, imo.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #75
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The possibility of a future navigation system is pretty real, but OnStar can give turn-by-turn directions if that's really important. You can always get a Garmin.
That might work for some people, but not everyone wants to pay $300 a year for a navigation system without a screen. Or want a small/tacky clip on deal. If you can't afford it thats one thing, but to expect everyone to have the same mentality is another.