Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

DJ Grilles
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
FINALLY! GM puts the big V-8 in the Tahoes

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/26/c...-gets-6-2l-v8/

It's still only 380HP, not the same 403 as in the Denalis and the Escalades, but the extra horses should really help the Tahoe.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Definitely good news...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
neo2227

Drives: 2007 Chevy Tahoe sittin on 22'
Heck yes but of course this is done after I bought mine. It needs more cojones! She is way lazy! I am going through some mods to improve mine.
neo2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Very cool! That will help w/ sales.
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
They really should make the only options either a massive V8 or the hybrid system, so maybe all the people using SUVs just to commute their single butts to work every day will buy something smarter, and the people who really need SUV capabilities will have a vehicle with the guts to handle the task.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
They really should make the only options either a massive V8 or the hybrid system, so maybe all the people using SUVs just to commute their single butts to work every day will buy something smarter, and the people who really need SUV capabilities will have a vehicle with the guts to handle the task.
Just one problem with that mentality...it'd force the folks that NEED an SUV (which is a large amount) to either pay premium bucks for the hybrid system (who really wouldn't want one?!?!)...or deal with an even bigger gas-guzzler than they would with a smaller, probably-more-sized-to-their-needs engine...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:09 AM   #7
stovt001

OK, maybe my logic was flawed. I'm not an SUV guy at all, never saw the appeal, but I figured the people who really used an SUV, like Boaters, people who tow, go camping, etc, would want the biggest possible engine anyway. If that's not the case, just disregard my argument.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Just one problem with that mentality...it'd force the folks that NEED an SUV (which is a large amount) to either pay premium bucks for the hybrid system (who really wouldn't want one?!?!)...or deal with an even bigger gas-guzzler than they would with a smaller, probably-more-sized-to-their-needs engine...
Can you seriously say there are "a large amount" of people that "NEED" an SUV? I'm not trying to belittle your argument or get off topic, but most people buy SUV's to show their status. Like buying a viper, they're basically pointless, but man that guy must be rich! There is a couple that lives down the road from my parents that have two little little girls. Yet, they have two monsterous SUV's. They are so big that they don't park them in their two car garage! I don't see a boat and their SUV's are always spick and span clean. That is some message to send to the oil companies: "Raise the price on gasoline unnecessarily? We'll buy more!" Status.

But yeah, 380hp is nice when the thing weighs 5 or 6 thousand lbs.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Can you seriously say there are "a large amount" of people that "NEED" an SUV? I'm not trying to belittle your argument or get off topic, but most people buy SUV's to show their status. Like buying a viper, they're basically pointless, but man that guy must be rich! There is a couple that lives down the road from my parents that have two little little girls. Yet, they have two monsterous SUV's. They are so big that they don't park them in their two car garage! I don't see a boat and their SUV's are always spick and span clean. That is some message to send to the oil companies: "Raise the price on gasoline unnecessarily? We'll buy more!" Status.

But yeah, 380hp is nice when the thing weighs 5 or 6 thousand lbs.
We have a crew cab truck that suits us fine and will probably be enough when we have our second child. But, we could use the size of a suburban at least 6-7 times a month. Whether we want to go somewhere with my Brother in law and their two kids or with friends and thier kids. As it is right now if we have people over for dinner and we want to go out for ice cream, we'd have to take two cars. When my kids are old enough to start youth sports or whatever we will probably need to swap the truck for a tahoe just to have the room for all the stuff. I think most people really do need the SUV they own. Lets not forget professionals that want to be able to transport customers and clients.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Some people don't really have many options. Definitely not as many as you might think.

We have the Tahoe and have had for awhile. We didn't need an SUV this big when we got it, but we got a great deal on it and it gave us room to grow. If we had something smaller back then, when we added our 3rd child, we would have had to trade up and it would have stretched our money a little thin.

Now, we are looking at trading in the Tahoe and because we can, we're looking to go slightly smaller to get better gas mileage. Until recently, we didn't have many options. The smaller SUV's couldn't fit 3 car seats across the back seat. Even the Trailblazer and the Grand Cherokee didn't work because one of the car seats was still rear-facing and there isn't enough room behind the front seats to do that (both of these get worse gas mileage than our current Tahoe anyway). Now, that isn't a problem. The Durango could handle the car seats, but I never liked them, and the gas mileage is again, worse than our Tahoe.

So after trying them all out, we are in the process of negotiating on an Enclave. Smaller than the Tahoe, more fuel efficient, but still with enough room that if we have to haul a couple extra friends or stuff around we can.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

We need an SUV. There's two kids and both need car seats. On top of that, when we go to the grocery store, we neeeeed the extra room to carry groceries and the stroller. I suppose we could have purchased a station wagon or a mini-van....

Sorry...but we are not the station wagon or mini-van family type. There's nothing wrong w/ them, but we'd rather have an SUV. SUV's are made for more passenger room and more cargo room, IMO. You can't get that in a Dodge Magnum (only wagon I can think of now) or any other regular 4dr car. SUV's are a necessity for a lot of families and sure as heck is for ours. Sometimes, there's not enough room for us and all our stuff....then it goes on the roof!
The build of THRSS #2
Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

I'm with you Tag. We need it too. And, I can't stand any of the wagons or the minivans. I briefly looked at the Impreza Wagon when we got the Tahoe, but I just couldn't get myself to buy it. Just so happens something finally became available that would fill our needs and still allow us to go smaller and be more efficient.

However, the only thing(s) I have ever put on the roof of the Tahoe were things like ladders and 2x4's. Anytime there has been a luggage issue and we end up with "too much", I make my wife leave some of hers at home....lol. If I ever need to carry that much stuff, I take the Silverado. It still has room for all of the car seats and the stroller. If I had a fiberglass lid on the bed of the truck, I would be more willing to take it on any driving vacations we take as well.

But, the SUV thing is what works for us because it fills our needs. It just doesn't fill all of our wants. You've got to take care of the necessities (room for the kids, room for strollers, groceries, etc) first, niceties (great fuel economy, lower cost, etc) second.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
But, the SUV thing is what works for us because it fills our needs. It just doesn't fill all of our wants. You've got to take care of the necessities (room for the kids, room for strollers, groceries, etc) first, niceties (great fuel economy, lower cost, etc) second.

It's rare that we ever use the roof...very rare. Let's see...the bed went up there for the move to moms house. And, the Christmas tree (fake from Sams) had to go up there for the drive home. The roof has the rack installed on it and I always carry rope just in case. But, we didn't want a huge SUV (too large and poorer gas mileage). Actually, my wife didn't want the larger SUV (Tahoe), but I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

It all worked out. Midsize SUV is doing us fine...and is a necessity.
The build of THRSS #2
Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
stovt001

SUVs are just excessive for 99% of the people who buy them. Tag, if you have two kids in two car seats, those could easily fit in the back of even a compact car (as long as it has 4 doors). The trunk of my Cobalt could easily hold enough groceries to feed a family of 4 for a week or two. Heck you could even throw in a Target trip and pack a picnic lunch in there as well. When my aunt and uncle had their first child, they bought a minivan because they "needed" the room. How do you need 3 rows of seats for just three people? 8 years later they had one more child. You could easily fit the entire family in a Cobalt sedan, but they need more more more room. Only in America do you need twice as many seats than the number of passengers you carry, and need two or three cupholders per person. In Europe very few people drive SUVs, yet do they not have children too? Do they not also have groceries?

My family drove around in compacts until my parents had their third child. Since my sister and I were already older children, we got a little cramped with the car seat between us. After a while we upgraded to a minivan, which also allowed us to drive my grandparents around. So if we can do it, why can't every other small family do it?

Of course there are people who really do need the capabilities of an SUV. My friend has a Tahoe, and goes boating, jet skiing, hunting, camping, bouldering, kayaking, etc all the time, and the Tahoe is the perfect tool to do that. In fact he couldn't do those things if he was driving a Civic. So if you need to tow or haul major loads, or go off road, or heck even camp out in it (throw a sleeping bag in the back and you have yourself an RV if you ask me) then a full size SUV is the proper vehicle for you. Just have to drive a kid or two around? Stop fooling yourself, you don't need one.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
They're being bought...so either that 99% of buyers are utter fools, or they do have a use for them. Do you not think that everybody would like to pay less for gas? Yet SUV's are still being bought. I'd say that earns a need factor for them.
And, for the record, I don't know a single soul that bought an SUV with the intentions of driving one person around daily; that's where all my arguments are stemming from.

I don't know what else to say really... apparently SUV's touch a nerve with you, stovt: Not a problem, Hell - far more minor things touch my nerves.............

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #16
stovt001

As an economist, I always have to think about what is the benefit people are paying for. What is their motivation? And what I come up with is the arms race concept. It kinda has two parts: One, once SUVs became common, people felt unsafe in their little cars sharing the road with these massive cars, so of course they bought the tanks to be safe too, so then there were more SUVs, so more people in small cars felt unsafe, so they bought more SUVs, and so on and so on. Two, its the same thing, just with image. As I said, in America we default to the assumption that bigger is better, so if you don't have the biggest vehicle you can possibly afford, then you're not as good as the guy who does. So you have to get one bigger than the Joneses next door. So everyone is ignoring the best economic decision making tools for buying a car and instead are buying into the economics of fear and jealousy. That is what annoys me.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:32 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Just have to drive a kid or two around? Stop fooling yourself, you don't need one.
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! Are you actually telling me I'm fooling myself??????

Have you ever tried (being 6'3") sitting in a drivers seat w/ a child seat facing the rear behind you in a 4dr sedan? Well...if you're tall like me, you can't sit w/ the seat all the way back keeping your knees off of the dash. Add another car seat on the other side. 2dr coupes won't cut this. You've already mentioned that this is not going to work....and I've tried it in my wifes old Mustang...NOPE. Waaaay too darn difficult to get the kiddoes in and out and definately not enough room...for them or us. This is a safety factor as well...knees on the dash are a no go in my driving book.

Safety. I know...I read your last post. The bigger the better, right? Nope...not in my case. If I wanted huge SUV, I would have gotten us into a Tahoe or a Suburban. Instead, we took the midsize SUV...w/ side curtain airbags to save us in a side impact. Yes, we are higher off the ground too. This does have a factor in it as well.

Room. Well, this kinda goes back to my first point. But, can your Cobalt hold the two kiddoes in the back, a two seater stroller (yes,it's big), diaper bags, and groceries for four?...I'm talking going to SAMS groceries...flats of sodas, X3 milk containers, X2 large applejuice containers, X2 grape juice containers, one large box of size 3 diapers, one large box of size 5 pull up diapers, one large box of wipes, (we haven't gotten to the food part yet) ...basically everything in bulk...meaning this stuff takes up the entire back of our SUV. ...no I'm not taking 2 or 3 trips in my sedan to get all of our groceries. That is rediculous and a waste of time...time that I do not have to spare. I'm sure you wouldn't like that either.

Does your Cobalt have a roof rack to carry luggage as well? Mine does. So when we go to the coast on our roadtrip, we have that extra room up top to tie down luggage, fishing poles, ice chests, etc, if need be. Can't do that on a regluar old roof...unless you don't care about your paint...or losing your stuff on the highway along the way.

I know where you are coming from when you say there's a lot of people who don't need an SUV. True. There are a lot who buy it simply for the status. But, to say 99% don't need it is a stretch. If it was a status thing for me, I would have gotten into a Suburban. Midsize SUV's are still SUV's. We own an SUV and we NEED one.
The build of THRSS #2
Old 12-29-2007, 01:50 AM   #18
stovt001

Well my family did all of the above (two kids and everything, pretty much identical) first in a compact Cavalier, then a compact Saturn. It just wasn't an issue. 4 people just don't have that much stuff. I mean, even with 3 kids our Costco trips would fit into the back of the Cobalt I have now. Of course, we didn't need nearly that much stuff to feed ourselves, and I have never been wanting. I guess we're just a very simple family. It works for me. I do agree 100% that a two door coupe won't work. I've helped put in enough child seats to know that its difficult enough with help in a 4 door. Couldn't imagine a two door. But even if you can't fit in a compact, 4 people can easily fit in a mid-size. Heck, splurge on a full size and you'll have plenty of room, still take up less space, car costs less, and you use far less gas. I wouldn't be saying this if we hadn't done it for years, but really, it can be done, and quite easily at that. Its not just me. Millions of families throughout the rest of the world get on quite fine too.

Now I'm not saying we should regulate SUVs or anything like that. I'm always against government regulation. Its just that so many people assume that you need an SUV if you have a family, and I just want to say you don't.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:17 AM   #19
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

What did your Cobalt cost?

What kind of MPG does it get?

Does it have side curtain airbags?

http://www.elepent.com/review.php?nr=329
Here's what we got. IMO, we needed the SUV. It was the leather, sunroof, and butt warmers that weren't a necessity. But, I got them to make the wife happy...so when it comes time for me to get my Camaro, I can get what I want...not what I need.

What's so bad about owning an SUV anyway? That's like me saying you don't have to own a Cobalt. Technically, you can ride the bus....millions of people have been doing it for years, ya know? ...and I'm sure they are getting by just fine too...
The build of THRSS #2
Old 12-29-2007, 03:54 AM   #20
stovt001

Right under $18K out the door (tax, fees, everything)

In traffic, 27 mpg. In normal highway, at least 32 mpg.

Yup, side airbags also cam bundled with ABS and TC. I researched beforehand and saw that it got nearly perfect crash test scores with the side airbag, but poor crash tests without. The entire package cost a few hundred bucks, cheap insurance if you ask me. It also made the fiance (at that time girlfriend) happy, and as you point out that's always a big concern when buying cars.

I just think it is absurd when I see my dad, my aunt's friend, so many people, buying SUVs and the only thing they ever do with them is use them to commute by themselves to work. Same situation with my aunt and uncle getting a minivan to drive one child around. Its like using an M1 tank to go quail hunting. My dad's Envoy did come in handy when I moved apartments, but I could have just as easily used my previously mentioned friends' Tahoe.

Well I guess this is just my upbringing. I was never pushed around in one of those urban assault strollers. My family never drank pallets of coke (my dad did, and his failing health is enough to vindicate that decision a million times over). When we had our numerous road trips (we rarely flew) my sister and I sat in the back of these tiny little cars, made a wall out of our luggage and books between us (later we just used sister #2 and her car seat) and read or enjoyed the scenery (also why I don't understand DVD players in cars). So really, I was just always raised on less "stuff" than the average kid, so I just never see the point in excess. I never felt slighted or that my family was cheap, just sensible. Actually, until I reflect on it now, I never realized there was anything exceptional about us. Sure tons of families at my school had Suburbans, but I just assumed they were the clans, the families big enough to form their own school district (we had tons of those at our school). I've just never been one to think in the "bigger is better" mentality that is so common in America, so I think we just come from different viewpoints.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #21
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
What's so bad about owning an SUV anyway? That's like me saying you don't have to own a Cobalt. Technically, you can ride the bus....millions of people have been doing it for years, ya know? ...and I'm sure they are getting by just fine too...

This is the heart of the argument. As americans we don't have the same appricieation for what we need vs what we want as other countries. I'd be willing to bet none of us need the 5th Gen. But we all want it. I'm sure it couldn't replace all the funtionality of a cobalt....

Please keep this in mind... The statement above goes for everyone else....

I NEEEEEEEEHHEEEEEEED my 5thGen
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
My cousin just got an Acura MDX in the spring, it sits beside her husbands Cadilac CTS. They have been married for 10-15 years and have no kids and i dont think they ever will. The reason they got it is because it is big and nifty gizmos. Thats pretty much what she said when she was talking to me about it. And after owning it for a month, she still couldn't operate the nav system it came with. These are the people that never, by any line of reasoning, need an SUV.

The basic argument for most people not needing SUV's, even people like TAG, is that north americians have done with not having them for decades. or at least not having too many of them. How many of us grew up with a couple siblings and no SUV? I have 2 brothers and we never needed one, or a minivan, or a wagon. And so, either things have changed dramatically in the last 10 years, or people have found excuses for buying SUVs

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #23
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
My outlook on the "is a SUV a necessity" issue is that, it varies from family to family. For Tag apparently the Kia mid size SUV is a must considering he wants to provide a safe ride for his kids, and needs room for groceries. Theres so many times in life you need a truck or SUV. Thats why I have a truck, trucks and SUV's aren't my personal favorites. Just without one of the two we wouldn't be able to do a lot of things we do.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Stovt, I know exactly where you are coming from...I do. I grew up like you. We didn't have much. My parents divorced when I was 7. My older brother was 10. We had the station wagon to lug us around. The trips to see the grandparents were also the same as you. We played in the back of the wagon (no belts on...never going to happen w/ my kids now!), built walls in a sense too, read books, didn't have DVD players or gameboys. It was a ride. And...it took longer to get from point A to point B...speed limits were lower.

We didn't have money to get nice stuff. Our cars weren't 5 star crash rated as they are now. For us, times changed. I got a pretty good paying job and I'm able to somewhat afford those "upgrades." We have the DVD players over the head rests given to us by my in laws. By no means to we need them. But, I'm sure you can agree that a TV show or movie can surely occupy a kids attention very well on long road trips. Basically, we were able to occupy our time, but we'd get tired of the same old stuff. Now, the kids are occupied the entire time...just change out the movie. It makes the trip for the youngster go by that much faster. And now...we don't hear the "are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" It's one less stress reliever to have DVD players....BELIEVE ME!!! lol

Some of these things we just don't need. My main concern here is the safety and interior room. Part of my safety factor is ride height. The lower you are, the lower you put your kids to the bumper of the car that hits you. Sure, the higher you get, the more chance of a roll over. But, we feel safer and my kids safety goes beyond any want in my book. It's a need.

I'd like to say we were very smart in our purchase of our Kia. I know, I know...it's a Kia. But, it's got a whole hell of a lot more than all the other SUV's we looked at...and we looked. The price was great for a fully loaded SUV...right at $25K...compare that to a fully loaded...well any other SUV. And, compare safety ratings. We did our homework. It wasn't a status thing for us. Like I said, if it was status, we'd be in a Lexus, Infinity, BMW, Merc, etc SUV or a larger SUV...Tahoe, Suburban, etc. This fit our needs...and I am very pleased w/ the price, the gas mileage, and more importantly, the safety.
The build of THRSS #2