Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Cliffjumper

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Black
Help me?

Delete thread please wrong area Hopefully I'm doing this right

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 07-19-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Delete thread
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
You have a lot of questions there. Adding power is easy but first you should now how an engine works. Check out this link.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Read up on that. Once you have a good idea of how an engine works a lot of the other stuff makes more sense.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Cliffjumper

Well I know how the engine works and can successfully explain it to I just I don't know what's in the engine to mod or differences or how you can replace a part with something that looks the exact same can boost performance ie camshaft
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Cliffjumper

I guess better said I know how it all works I just don't know what makes it all work
Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
IMO, best N/A mods for power to this engine are headers, cam, gears and tune. Just focus on those 4 upgrades and you'll be good to go
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED BBK 95MM TB, INTAKE MANIFOLD PORTED TO 95MM, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA) & DYNO TUNED BY TORQ (WWW.GETTORQ.COM), 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - MUSTANG DYNO RESULTS: 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
AIR IN & AIR OUT

1. AIR
1. FUEL
1. SPARK

those are the 3 primary things you need to make power. its finding ways to increase AIR getting to the combustion chamber where it can mix with the fuel. more AIR = more FUEL = more power.

CAI allows more air to flow. a ported throttle body increases the velocity rate at which air enters the intake manifold. the manifold volume helps with the distribution of air to each cylinder and/or aid in throttle response. head work can increase the volume of the cylinder allowing room for more air and fuel mixture. the cam can increase or decrease the duration and lift of the valves also affecting air flow not only in but out also. aftermarket headers help remove burned gases out of the cylinder to create room for fresh air. there is also science behind headers that the velocity of exhaust gas moving out of they cylinder quicker helps to facilitate the compression of more air into the cylinder due to velocity. high flow cats remove a lot of the restriction in the exhaust system that hinder the scavaging of exhaust from the engine.

you may have the basics understanding of HOW it works. but you have to look at breaking everything down and how that effects everything else. if you want to know how a particular component increases or decreases HP...don't be afraid to google it or use wikipedia to get some basic theory. it'll start to come together the more you research and the more specific your questions will become. just gonna take some time.

try this link:

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid...w=1024&bih=653

modding can simply be looked at as improving the basic function of how an engine works. so if you understand that...the rest will make sense, sometimes. not sure what your background is, but if you buy a computer and 2yrs later its having a hard time keeping up with the 20 search bars you installed on your web browser and 5,000,000 widgets on your desktop, along with the little dancing stripper...you don't just buy a new computer, you upgrade your RAM. OR...you can clean it up a little bit, get rid of shyt that doesn't need to be there so it runs nice and smooth (kinda like a TUNE). OR BOTH!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Well, for one, there is a search feature here. When you see something you want info on, type it in the box..........or, Google it.
Most of us here have no issue answering your questions, no matter how dumb they may seem to you. We all had to learn this stuff (and are still learnng)...and we all asked questions and researched.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Cliffjumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Well, for one, there is a search feature here. When you see something you want info on, type it in the box..........or, Google it.
Most of us here have no issue answering your questions, no matter how dumb they may seem to you. We all had to learn this stuff (and are still learnng)...and we all asked questions and researched.
I know this I tell people all the time the same thing. But like I already said I don't exactly know what I'm wanting to know much less what to search for. I always say everyone know everything
Old 07-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Cliffjumper

Plus I would like advice tips and help from my fellow c5ers
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Cliffjumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
AIR IN & AIR OUT

1. AIR
1. FUEL
1. SPARK

those are the 3 primary things you need to make power. its finding ways to increase AIR getting to the combustion chamber where it can mix with the fuel. more AIR = more FUEL = more power.

CAI allows more air to flow. a ported throttle body increases the velocity rate at which air enters the intake manifold. the manifold volume helps with the distribution of air to each cylinder and/or aid in throttle response. head work can increase the volume of the cylinder allowing room for more air and fuel mixture. the cam can increase or decrease the duration and lift of the valves also affecting air flow not only in but out also. aftermarket headers help remove burned gases out of the cylinder to create room for fresh air. there is also science behind headers that the velocity of exhaust gas moving out of they cylinder quicker helps to facilitate the compression of more air into the cylinder due to velocity. high flow cats remove a lot of the restriction in the exhaust system that hinder the scavaging of exhaust from the engine.

you may have the basics understanding of HOW it works. but you have to look at breaking everything down and how that effects everything else. if you want to know how a particular component increases or decreases HP...don't be afraid to google it or use wikipedia to get some basic theory. it'll start to come together the more you research and the more specific your questions will become. just gonna take some time.

try this link:

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid...w=1024&bih=653

modding can simply be looked at as improving the basic function of how an engine works. so if you understand that...the rest will make sense, sometimes. not sure what your background is, but if you buy a computer and 2yrs later its having a hard time keeping up with the 20 search bars you installed on your web browser and 5,000,000 widgets on your desktop, along with the little dancing stripper...you don't just buy a new computer, you upgrade your RAM. OR...you can clean it up a little bit, get rid of shyt that doesn't need to be there so it runs nice and smooth (kinda like a TUNE). OR BOTH!
Thanks this is what I'm looking for. Thank you. And my background is in computers I actually repair mobile devices I am technical I just never really got past changing an alternator or a water pump that's as far as I've gone into the motor
Old 07-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
TheNewCzar

Drives: 2011 SS Rally Yellow Vert, 2000 WS6
Better air flow is a key. Plus the temp of the air coming into the engine, the colder the better (NOS is really really cold).

Cold Air Intake, CAI scoop, washer bottle relocate, and ported Throttle Body helps get more (and cooler) air into the engine

Headers, hiflow cats, and better cat back or axle back exhaust helps get air out.

A good tune ties it all together and tweaks your cars computer to run the engine and transmission more efficiently for power.

And stickers, don't forget the stickers that come with your new stuff.

Stickers are cool.

So are fezs and bowties.
TheNewCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
NDC123
The Machinist

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 IBM silver rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshehring View Post
I really want to learn and I feel like I'm going to get crap for not know but I want to understand a lot of these threads about engines. Cause I want to boost my Hp but I feel like I'm reading Greek What are these different engines that are stock in the Camaro. And then what are well known engines and what makes then so unique. What is it when y'all re talking about rear wheel Hp or something like that What are easy thing to add to my engine to get boost in Hp and wth are all the other things other than Hp I have a basic knowledge of what you can see when you look at a car and can completely maintain one my self fluids brakes tire rotations. But I want to learn. So gear head lay on the knowledge. Cause I can't look it up cause I don't know what to look up

Thanks and sorry for the runons
Remember there are no stupid questions...just stupid people.
American Racing Headers w/high-flow cats and x-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-back mufflers, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI intake, ADM race scoop, RX Catch Can, PEDDERS Street Z package-ZL1 sways-XA Coilovers, PFADT trailing arms-toe rods, RPM 3:91 gears, RPM Stage V Trans, ADM diff bushings, tune by ADM, and still bustin' knuckles!
NDC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Cliffjumper

What's a ported throttle body
Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Cliffjumper

What about turbos. Are they worth that money. And I was wanting to get a k&n air thing. Dont know what it's called
Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
NDC123
The Machinist

Quote:
What's a ported throttle body
Ported throttle body takes the step out of the stock TB and smooths out the airflow making the airflow faster into the intake manifold.
American Racing Headers w/high-flow cats and x-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-back mufflers, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI intake, ADM race scoop, RX Catch Can, PEDDERS Street Z package-ZL1 sways-XA Coilovers, PFADT trailing arms-toe rods, RPM 3:91 gears, RPM Stage V Trans, ADM diff bushings, tune by ADM, and still bustin' knuckles!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
Cliffjumper

Where is that located
Old 07-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
Cliffjumper

I'm guess before the intake manifold lol
Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
Cliffjumper

What's a good set of exhaust that will make my Camaro noticeable but not overbearing and isn't to expensive. Sorry I'm going to be asking alot
Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
Cliffjumper

Ok tb is what the gas pedal is attached to
Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
NDC123
The Machinist

Quote:
What about turbos. Are they worth that money. And I was wanting to get a k&n air thing. Dont know what it's called
Turbochargers compress air and fuel into the cylinder making more powerful explosions when ignited.

K&N is a brand of CAI (cold air intake). Cooler air into your engine means more expansion upon igniting. Hotter air doesn't have as much expansion when ignited as cold air hence more power. This is because everything as it heats it expands. So, the engine compartment air has already been expanded further than cold air by the temperature of the engine. High flow air systems like CAIs allow the air to flow in fast enough it doesn't have time for the engine compartment to heat it up. HTH.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
not to be a dick...but you asked...instead of just bombarding questions about everything, take a second or maybe a few minutes and search. you've got questions about stuff...so search those questions before you hit "post". i promise you, you will amaze yourself at what you can find. its time consuming but you will learn more that way. if you want to go FI...then start your research around FI. it appears that you want the most HP you can get. but just a reminder, your a V6 asking in a V8 section. so the setups, builds, and tunes are slightly different. instead of just asking an open question like "are turbos worth the money?" find out what a turbo is first...only you can decide if its worth YOUR money. you've got a bit more research to do just for your own knowledge base before you go throwing parts at your car. if you just throw mod after mod at it, next you'll be on here flaming us for your motor grenading. nothing wrong with being eager to learn, take your time, and invest some interest in it instead of looking for somebody to hand you the answers and build your car for you. your gonna have 50 different answers to 1 question and 1,000,001 ways to build your car up. there is an exhaust sticky in the V6 section which should give you a good idea of the sound your looking for...start there.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #22
Cliffjumper

I started doing that after I posted it all sorry I click in a little late lol
Old 07-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #23
Cliffjumper

I'm just overwelmed with the stuff I've learned in the past week on here and I'm getting to excited about it all
Old 07-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
NDC123
The Machinist

I will answer any questions I can and i dont mind doing it. I won't build your car for you . All I can provide you is info the decision is always yours.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
Cliffjumper

I really appreciate it I do need to "study up" before I ask a lot Now that i have some knowledge cause I will eventually wear my touch screen out with all the questions I have lol

Tags
engine