Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
camarozzzz

 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 1,083
Trunk Speakers

I noticed recently that the trunk speakers inside the trunk are virtually 100% exposed...they have no bottom cover on them or any protective shielding? This seems kind of like lazy production on Chevy's part...you can see the magnetic parts, wires, everything just sitting there in the trunk...

Now whenever I put in objects into the trunk I have to make sure that if they are tall enough to touch the speakers they won't - or else I risk damaging them or snapping a component part. Anyone have this problem too?

I really don't feel like building a custom box to protect them - you guys think that they will be okay?
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
babytiger
it's hers...
 
babytiger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: katy, tx
Posts: 1,206
I've had several new vehicles with this same set up. As far back as 2000. It will be fine, just be mindful of it if you plan on stuffing the trunk full.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
camarozzzz

 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger View Post
I've had several new vehicles with this same set up. As far back as 2000. It will be fine, just be mindful of it if you plan on stuffing the trunk full.
Ya...I generally have a very full trunk and I never really noticed them sitting there like that so I just wanted to check in here with you guys if this was normal - just asking because my last car a Honda 1998 had them in a separate slot.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
tomlink
 
tomlink's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to tomlink Send a message via MSN to tomlink Send a message via Yahoo to tomlink Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
From a pure sound standpoint the trunk is a speaker enclosure. You really don't want anything below (like guards or baffles) to affect the sound.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
camarozzzz

 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
From a pure sound standpoint the trunk is a speaker enclosure. You really don't want anything below (like guards or baffles) to affect the sound.
That is very very true. Don't want to cut air supplies, and muffle the sounds.

I just generally always worry that something I have in there will snag the speakers or ruin them..
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
tomlink
 
tomlink's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to tomlink Send a message via MSN to tomlink Send a message via Yahoo to tomlink Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
snag the speakers or ruin them.
I have crammed my trunk a few times right to the limit and no damage.

So far.

We'll see.

Your mileage may vary.

tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
camarozzzz

 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
I have crammed my trunk a few times right to the limit and no damage.

So far.

We'll see.

Your mileage may vary.

That is very true! I love to drive "spirited" though, and sometimes I fear cornering too fast or items shifting will just ruin something back there. Well so far so good though@!
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
tomlink
 
tomlink's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to tomlink Send a message via MSN to tomlink Send a message via Yahoo to tomlink Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
I fear cornering too fast or items shifting will just ruin something
Two words: Cargo Net

I transfered mine from my last car, but Chevy has one dedicated to the car. My wife's Saturn had an even better idea, a built in cargo box you could expand to stop movement.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
camarozzzz

 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 1,083
Is the cargo net as worth while as people say it is? I have been on the fence of getting this for a year!
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
1BADLS3

 
1BADLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 1,899
Hehehe.... This is an old-school and very effective way to mount speakers. As said, the trunk acts as a giant enclosure and the sound reverberates very nicely.

My first car...a 1990 Lumina...had the crappy Delco brick radio and a 4-speaker setup. Horrible sound, but with the stock paper 6x9's mounted like they are in the 5th gen Camaro, that thing could really make some good bass. 6x9's are good at that anyway, but the enclosure really makes the speaker. A trunk is perfect.

Just remember they're there when piling stuff high.

Cargo nets and the like are great. I've got a bag that weighs about 30lbs with a bunch of emergency and roadside gear in it. I want that sucker to be strapped down on the passenger side to slightly offset my weight on the driver's side, but it just slides around right now.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Streetbobrob
 
Drives: 2011 IBM SS 6M
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fort Mcmurray Alberta
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
I noticed recently that the trunk speakers inside the trunk are virtually 100% exposed...they have no bottom cover on them or any protective shielding? This seems kind of like lazy production on Chevy's part...you can see the magnetic parts, wires, everything just sitting there in the trunk...

Now whenever I put in objects into the trunk I have to make sure that if they are tall enough to touch the speakers they won't - or else I risk damaging them or snapping a component part. Anyone have this problem too?

I really don't feel like building a custom box to protect them - you guys think that they will be okay?

hmmmmmm........ try duct tape?
Streetbobrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
camarozzzz

 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetbobrob View Post
hmmmmmm........ try duct tape?
With all due respect...I am not going to duct tape my speakers....
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.