Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

DJ Grilles
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Are the Alpine and the Scosche kit the same.

Are the Alpine and the Scosche kit made by th same company?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
As far as I'm aware, they are not made from the same manufacturer.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Johng57
Mid-Wife Crisis

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS / RS
I have been told they are by my radio guy.
Johng57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
Squiffy

Drives: 2011 RS 2SS CGM S/C
The only difference is that the Alpine kit is designed to fit the slants of a Alpine radio. If you get an Alpine radio, get the Alpine kit so it will look seamless. Other than that, go for the Scosche. I've seen an Alpine radio installed with the Scosche kit and it looks like crap. The bottom half of the radio bezel sticks out. Beware of that.
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
The only difference is that the Alpine kit is designed to fit the slants of a Alpine radio. If you get an Alpine radio, get the Alpine kit so it will look seamless. Other than that, go for the Scosche. I've seen an Alpine radio installed with the Scosche kit and it looks like crap. The bottom half of the radio bezel sticks out. Beware of that.
I was pretty sure that it was the same company that made them. I have a Scosche kit now that I bought in February. It is at Oxnard now for a replacement for the 3rd time. They have had it now for about 12 days and I do not know when I'll will be getting it back. They supposedly going to replace the LCD. onstar unit and the wiring harness. So far it been 8 working day to get the Harness. The place that have the harness is only a couple of blocks away.
If I do not have by next Friday I guess I'll be buying a Metra kit
Old 07-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Squiffy

Drives: 2011 RS 2SS CGM S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
I was pretty sure that it was the same company that made them. I have a Scosche kit now that I bought in February. It is at Oxnard now for a replacement for the 3rd time. They have had it now for about 12 days and I do not know when I'll will be getting it back. They supposedly going to replace the LCD. onstar unit and the wiring harness. So far it been 8 working day to get the Harness. The place that have the harness is only a couple of blocks away.
Damn. I got mine Alpine kit last week. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I believe they are made by the same manufacturer as well. Reason I didn't get the Metra kit is because it didn't look as nice as the others.
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
I guess the same company could make both behind the scenes, we all know how that goes sometimes. But the Alpine kit does come into our warehouse with an Alpine part number attached to it as if they manufactured it themselves.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Wait what? they didnt just do a return/replace the first time? Much less the third?

Or are you saying they did and youve had three bad units in a row?
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Wait what? they didnt just do a return/replace the first time? Much less the third?

Or are you saying they did and youve had three bad units in a row?
Yes I have gotten 3 in a row. If when ever I get this one and it is bad I will get the Metra kit.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Yes I have gotten 3 in a row. If when ever I get this one and it is bad I will get the Metra kit.
I'd hate for that to happen. I have the Metra kit because it was the only one available when I did my install. I've hated it since day one. It looks bad, the buttons are awful, fitment is "meh", and that LCD is on borrowed time the day you put it in. I'll be swapping it out for the Alpine soon.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I'd hate for that to happen. I have the Metra kit because it was the only one available when I did my install. I've hated it since day one. It looks bad, the buttons are awful, fitment is "meh", and that LCD is on borrowed time the day you put it in. I'll be swapping it out for the Alpine soon.
At least it worked ok
Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Metra may not be the best looking, but it works.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Ajmalian

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, '11 GMC Denali
I have personally spoken to the guys at Scosche and yes they are the ones producing the Alpine kit for Alpine. I've got my Alpine kit coupled with a Kenwood DNX9990HD equivalent and it works just fine. I have no issues with fitment and the changes in the angle of the screen too don't tamper with the Alpine frame/kit. The only thing is, if you do decide to go for the Alpine dash kit with a stereo other than Alpine, then be prepared to invest in a PAC SWI-RC steering wheel interface module because there is a very high chance your steering wheel controls may not work. Under such circumstances, many here on the forum will tell you that you need to connect a red wire in the 24 pin connector to the a light blue/yellow wire in the same connector using a 10k resistor...well guess what? Alpine's kit has a slightly different wire arrangement. This blue/yellow wire doesn't exist in the Alpine while it does in the Scosche. This is why I strongly suggest you go with the PAC SWI-RC interface. I recommend you get in touch with Dennis from Double D Mods....he'll set your audio problems straight.
Ajmalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmalian View Post
I have personally spoken to the guys at Scosche and yes they are the ones producing the Alpine kit for Alpine. I've got my Alpine kit coupled with a Kenwood DNX9990HD equivalent and it works just fine. I have no issues with fitment and the changes in the angle of the screen too don't tamper with the Alpine frame/kit. The only thing is, if you do decide to go for the Alpine dash kit with a stereo other than Alpine, then be prepared to invest in a PAC SWI-RC steering wheel interface module because there is a very high chance your steering wheel controls may not work. Under such circumstances, many here on the forum will tell you that you need to connect a red wire in the 24 pin connector to the a light blue/yellow wire in the same connector using a 10k resistor...well guess what? Alpine's kit has a slightly different wire arrangement. This blue/yellow wire doesn't exist in the Alpine while it does in the Scosche. This is why I strongly suggest you go with the PAC SWI-RC interface. I recommend you get in touch with Dennis from Double D Mods....he'll set your audio problems straight.
It will very doubtful that I'll buy a another Scosche kit or a Alpine since the same company makes them.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
Ajmalian

Well honestly, nothing's wrong with the Alpine kit. It seems to work perfectly, so I strongly recommend the Alpine kit or if you can, then best option is to go for the MyLink from Chevy that is in the 2013 models. I don't know as yet if it will work with your car but I guess time will tell/show.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Caddyroger

Quote:
Well honestly, nothing's wrong with the Alpine kit. It seems to work perfectly, so I strongly recommend the Alpine kit or if you can, then best option is to go for the MyLink from Chevy that is in the 2013 models. I don't know as yet if it will work with your car but I guess time will tell/show.

Good luck with your decision.
The only problem is the alpine is made by and is identical to the scosche kit. If and when I get this one it will the 4 th one that I have received.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Ajmalian

Well thats what I said earlier right, they're not EXACTLY the same. The wiring is different. However you are free to go for whatever you feel is suitable for you. I would just say or rather suggest that you give Alpine a shot b4 you pass your judgement.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
Caddyroger

Quote:
Well thats what I said earlier right, they're not EXACTLY the same. The wiring is different. However you are free to go for whatever you feel is suitable for you. I would just say or rather suggest that you give Alpine a shot b4 you pass your judgement.
I called them yesterday They are going to send me a new lcd screen and Onstar module but sending me back the old wiring harness. They will not be getting the new harness in until the middle of Aug.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
Caddyroger

Guess what I got the new lcd and Onstar module today and it does not work. I do not think it the led unit or the Onstar module. I still used the old wiring harness. We believe It may be the wiring harness. He going try and get one for me before the middle of the month.

Last edited by Caddyroger; 03-03-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
Ajmalian

Good luck with that bro!!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Drives: Blac on Blaq on Blak 2012 Camaro LS
I just order an Alpine kit. Hope it works I got 60 days to test it

Adjustments: 20% tint all around, Emblem Pros Dash plaque, Rockford Fosgate P-300/12
Oneflyenyceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #22
wrkcar

Drives: 68 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneflyenyceguy View Post
I just order an Alpine kit. Hope it works I got 60 days to test it
Where did you order it from?
wrkcar is offline   Reply With Quote