Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
anti-ricer
 
Drives: '13 Camaro SS, in the near future
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 26
Max V6 RWHP Without Super/Turbocharger?

Hey guys, I got to thinking about how impractical an SS would be for an every day city car, and it looks like an LS or LT is the way to go. Especially since it will be my first car. I was wondering how much rear wheel horsepower a V6 could get without super or turbo charging it. So just with simple/easy modifications. Thanks!
anti-ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
SpkCamaro12
 
SpkCamaro12's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM 2LT RS - Traded In
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 367
Base 323 + CAI 15 + Trifecta Tune 13-17 = Anywhere between 351 - 355

Give or take. Not sure if Exhaust will help RWHP same with High Flow cats.
Headers I believe will but we got integrated ones :-/ :(
__________________
TRADED IN - 2012 2LT RS - VMAX Throttle Body - MRT V1 - CAI - Trifecta Tune - Matching Interior Lightning (Footwells and Dome) - Sequential Taillights - Blacked out Front n Back Bowties - 228VX Train Horn

Traded for 2011 Corvette

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7428/sig2gx.jpg
SpkCamaro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpkCamaro12 View Post
Base 323 + CAI 15 + Trifecta Tune 13-17 = Anywhere between 351 - 355

Give or take. Not sure if Exhaust will help RWHP same with High Flow cats.
Headers I believe will but we got integrated ones :-/ :(
no way in hell those are WHP numbers. maybe BHP
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
Taintedveins
Shark attack!
 
Taintedveins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
no way in hell those are WHP numbers. maybe BHP
And those numbers are a little high to be honest. 323 and trifecta tune with CAI would be more like 345 max I don't think the CAI wouldn't be as effective once you tune.
__________________
Taintedveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
spyderbuddy


 
spyderbuddy's Avatar
 
Drives: v6 rs inferno orange/inferno orange
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: albany, ga
Posts: 2,610
He asked RWHP Guys, not at the crank. I think the most anybody got to the rear wheels was 287 -295, just shy of 300. And that was with pretty much all of the mods you can do:
Long Tube Headers
Throttle Body
CAI
Tune
Intake to head Spacers
85 Ethanol tune

ect...
__________________

Heritage Grill, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, Led Lighting, MBRP Exhaust tips, CNC Trottle Body, Trifecta Tune, Vararam Intake/Green Filter, Chevorlet door Sills, Trunk Black out and RX Catch Can/Breather Kit
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
MediumLabowski
Doesn't use Facebook
 
MediumLabowski's Avatar
 
Drives: EVO X, LFX Long gone
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phila burbs
Posts: 122
Ya, <300. In the "LLT" bolt on section (dyno sticky) there are a few cars that are brushing elbows with 290. I'm sure they are above $2k in mods, next step up without FI would be N2O.
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
Lil' Nasty's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged V6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,104
Like said above you cannot just add or combine hp/tq gains
__________________
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
SpkCamaro12
 
SpkCamaro12's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM 2LT RS - Traded In
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 367
Those are just the numbers stated on the sites lol.
__________________
TRADED IN - 2012 2LT RS - VMAX Throttle Body - MRT V1 - CAI - Trifecta Tune - Matching Interior Lightning (Footwells and Dome) - Sequential Taillights - Blacked out Front n Back Bowties - 228VX Train Horn

Traded for 2011 Corvette

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7428/sig2gx.jpg
SpkCamaro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
MediumLabowski
Doesn't use Facebook
 
MediumLabowski's Avatar
 
Drives: EVO X, LFX Long gone
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phila burbs
Posts: 122


SpkCamaro, is that train horn fun? I wouldnt be able to handle it, i would be blasting mo-fo's constantly.
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
He asked RWHP Guys, not at the crank. I think the most anybody got to the rear wheels was 287 -295, just shy of 300. And that was with pretty much all of the mods you can do:
Long Tube Headers
Throttle Body
CAI
Tune
Intake to head Spacers
85 Ethanol tune

ect...
Depends if he buys new or used, that may apply to the old LLT but not the new LFX.
No headers on the LFX motors remember. There is only one exhaust port per side.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,742
I'm still trying to figure out why an SS would be an impractical daily driver, but yet a V6 would be a practical one?

Honestly, i'm the LAST person that would start V8 vs V6 bash-fest... But the OP is seriously inviting it, with that comment, especially since he's asking about modding a V6 also... I mean I'm a die hard V6 guy and hate the V8 vs V6 thing... but SS impractical but modding a V6 is practical? That's a pretty huge stretch even in my warped mind...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
AKA-22

 
AKA-22's Avatar
 
Drives: ELLE-1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Farmington ,mo
Posts: 1,118
my v-6 ,,,,31.8 MPG....my v-8 ,18 MPG tops.... would not be practical for me to drive my usual round trip 60 miles a day in my v-8.......So i want my v-6 to run at its top performance......its not a v-6 v-8 thing its just logical fact of those two cars,in a practical sense...
__________________
AKA-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
MediumLabowski
Doesn't use Facebook
 
MediumLabowski's Avatar
 
Drives: EVO X, LFX Long gone
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phila burbs
Posts: 122
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why an SS would be an impractical daily driver, but yet a V6 would be a practical one?

Honestly, i'm the LAST person that would start V8 vs V6 bash-fest... But the OP is seriously inviting it, with that comment, especially since he's asking about modding a V6 also... I mean I'm a die hard V6 guy and hate the V8 vs V6 thing... but SS impractical but modding a V6 is practical? That's a pretty huge stretch even in my warped mind...
I agree if you are planning of modding for more power anyway all the reasons for buying the V6 in the first place are gone. As soon as you spend 6 or 7 thousand in mods to the V 6 you have lost the price difference and probably still be short of the 426HP of the SS. Plus you get better suspension with the SS.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
AdamChoudhry
 
AdamChoudhry's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why an SS would be an impractical daily driver, but yet a V6 would be a practical one?

Honestly, i'm the LAST person that would start V8 vs V6 bash-fest... But the OP is seriously inviting it, with that comment, especially since he's asking about modding a V6 also... I mean I'm a die hard V6 guy and hate the V8 vs V6 thing... but SS impractical but modding a V6 is practical? That's a pretty huge stretch even in my warped mind...
I have to disagree. I'm paying less than half the insurance every month, spent much less on mods than I would have spent if I opted for the SS, and I'm averaging 35 mpg.
AdamChoudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChoudhry View Post
I have to disagree. I'm paying less than half the insurance every month, spent much less on mods than I would have spent if I opted for the SS, and I'm averaging 35 mpg.
Since I owned a 2010 V6, for some reason I have a very hard time believing either one of your claims.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
AdamChoudhry
 
AdamChoudhry's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 63
I'm a 20 year old male driving a car with full coverage. My estimate for the SS was 8200 a year and the V6 is 3800 a year which is with a discount for being a deans list college student. Also, I live in rural NJ where my drive to school, work etc. is flat open roads with no traffic or lights.
AdamChoudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #18
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChoudhry View Post
I'm a 20 year old male driving a car with full coverage. My estimate for the SS was 8200 a year and the V6 is 3800 a year which is with a discount for being a deans list college student. Also, I live in rural NJ where my drive to school, work etc. is flat open roads with no traffic or lights.
sorry to get personal. but its a lot easier to put the car under your parents insurance. i give you a lot of respect if you are paying 100% of it though.
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
AdamChoudhry
 
AdamChoudhry's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
sorry to get personal. but its a lot easier to put the car under your parents insurance. i give you a lot of respect if you are paying 100% of it though.
Yeah I am aware but I'm trying to build my credit history and going on my parents insurance policy wasn't really an option.
AdamChoudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,742
sorry I don't always equate impractical with unaffordable... my bad...

when someone says impractical i think baby seats and hauling plywood... LOL
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
AdamChoudhry
 
AdamChoudhry's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
sorry I don't always equate impractical with unaffordable... my bad...

when someone says impractical i think baby seats and hauling plywood... LOL
Gotcha
AdamChoudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #22
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I agree if you are planning of modding for more power anyway all the reasons for buying the V6 in the first place are gone. As soon as you spend 6 or 7 thousand in mods to the V 6 you have lost the price difference and probably still be short of the 426HP of the SS. Plus you get better suspension with the SS.

$6k in SC exceeds the SS hp by close to 50 hp with the V6......not in anyway a cut to the SS, as for the same $$ we make the SS 600 plus.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #23
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,363
Back to your original post.

Off the top of my head, here is what you can do that isn't too costly and is easy to install for the LFX V6:

Air intake
Ported TB
Tune
exhaust

A stock automatic LFX should dyno around 255rwhp stock. After these mods, you should have a gain of around 20 or so rwhp. Off peak you should gain a bit more than that.

The LLT engine in the 2010 and 2011s has a few more basic bolt ons like manifold insulator and ported manifold that do no apply to the LFX engine so if you hear about them, you can disregard them. You will also want a catch can.

Beyond that there isn't much else besides forced induction. You could cut off the rear cats to pick up a little more horsepower, or wait for SOLO to finish up their high flow cats + resonator for the LFX which would probably net you an additional 10rwhp.

MACE is also finishing up cams for the LLT. Not sure if these would work on an LFX, but I don't see why not either. This looks like it could be worth 40 to 50 hp gains....but of course this is a MUCH more involved and costly mod.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #24
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
$6k in SC exceeds the SS hp by close to 50 hp with the V6......not in anyway a cut to the SS, as for the same $$ we make the SS 600 plus.

But that 6K still does not get you the SS suspension or Brakes.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90
 
67 GTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SE Pa.
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-ricer View Post
Hey guys, I got to thinking about how impractical an SS would be for an every day city car, and it looks like an LS or LT is the way to go. Especially since it will be my first car. I was wondering how much rear wheel horsepower a V6 could get without super or turbo charging it. So just with simple/easy modifications. Thanks!
A SS is certainly not impractical as a DD unless initial price, insurance and if a little extra fuel costs are a concern.

My bolt-on V6 is plenty fast for me. It would have cost me $7.5K more for a SS at the time, cash money that I just didn't want to spend then. I have about $3k in performance mods now spread out over 3 years and installed when funds became available.

My bolt-on car will never reach the performance level of a stock SS but I can hang with them now and again.

I think some V6 folks just like their car especially after doing many cosmetic mods and going a little faster is a bonus.

Same can be said for the the V6 folks who are going FI now. Maybe they just like being different and unique.

Getting the mouse motor to go fast is a challenge and rewarding for some of us.

Cars come and go for me and perhaps my next one will be my dream Vette.

Oh and sorry, I have no clue how much rwhp you can gain with bolt-ons.
__________________


GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned

Last edited by 67 GTO; 07-22-2012 at 03:56 PM.
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.