Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

The Sports Lounge Sports talk

Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Penn State Hammered by NCAA

It could have been worse but don't know how much.....60 mil fine, loss of bowls for 4 years and loss of scholarships.......

The reglatory stuff they have to comply with will be harder than they think because so many eyes are upon them....

Don't know if they can ever recover from this.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Pretty harsh punishment but deserved.
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

They have said that the Big 10 will announce their punishments at 11:00 est in addition to the NCAA penalties.

The money is not that big of deal...they have 5 years to pay for that and boosters will suck up alot of that cost......The scholarship reduction to 65 total for 4 years will hurt a bit but the bowl ban for 4 years is really going to hurt. It will hurt in revenue, recruiting and television revenue.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedes View Post
Pretty harsh punishment but deserved.

X1,000,000
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

But Like Emmert said - no punishment can ever take the place of what the victims have been through.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 4000 h.p. yellow beasts
Not enough!!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Too bad that anyone involved in the incidents at Penn State are already gone and down the road...this destroys the futures of kids who had NOTHING to do with anything that happened there.

Who gets the $60 Million? The NCAA going to give that money to the victims - after all, that is who we are out to take care of now, right? (I bet it does not...pressure should be put on the NCAA to donate ALL $60 Million in fines to the victims or a child protection fund).

As a Penn State grad, this hurts in a lot of ways. Doesn't make much sense to punish the kids who had nothing to do with any of this, but I know that the NCAA is setting a precedent here. (just like at Ohio State - the kids that broke the rules are already out of the program...their actions hurt the team AFTER the fact) I was actually hoping they would just terminate the program all together to be honest.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
A statement has been made......listen up everybody!!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
Too bad that anyone involved in the incidents at Penn State are already gone and down the road...this destroys the futures of kids who had NOTHING to do with anything that happened there.

Who gets the $60 Million? The NCAA going to give that money to the victims - after all, that is who we are out to take care of now, right? (I bet it does not...pressure should be put on the NCAA to donate ALL $60 Million in fines to the victims or a child protection fund).

As a Penn State grad, this hurts in a lot of ways. Doesn't make much sense to punish the kids who had nothing to do with any of this, but I know that the NCAA is setting a precedent here. (just like at Ohio State - the kids that broke the rules are already out of the program...their actions hurt the team AFTER the fact) I was actually hoping they would just terminate the program all together to be honest.
There in lies my BIGGESTcomplaint with this whole mess.....it is affecting people who had NOTHING to do with it.

While I understand that punishment had to be given in all honesty there really is no punishment.....60 mil over 5 years the equla to one football seasons revenue....The vacating of wins...who cares...the games were won on the field, JoePa is gone so what a book says he had to vacate them.....The loss of scholarships will in reality sve the university money.....20 scholarships times 4 years can't be cheap.

No bowl for 4 years is only hurting the students now.

I totally understand their intent in why they did this, still does not make it feel any better.

My personal opinion is they are blaming someone who can't defend himself since he is now gone. I have always had a lot of respect for Penn St. Alabama had some epic battles on the field.

Just one comment on teh whole ordeal....In 1998 a parent went to the police about Sandusky, they did an investigation, child services did an investigation and even the DA said that no crime was committed...How is this Joe Paterno's fault? Unless they are implying that Joe had control over the D/A, the police Department, Child services....and to me that is just a little far fetched. JMHO
Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I think the punishments by the NCAA are, for the most part, utter BS.

I don't have a problem with the fine. But to strip wins from student athletes who EARNED them? To deny current student athletes scholarships, postseason or even the chance to play? To basically destroy a football program? I mean why not just terminate it? Because what they are doing makes no sense. Why punish the students for what Paterno and the administration did? I mean, how is ANY of this punishing the administration, really? Paterno's dead, and I can assure you that he does not care. The rest of the administration that allowed this to happen has been fired and is hated worldwide. So what exactly is the point of the NCAA doing this?

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

The Big 10 conference has also stated that Penn St can not share in revenue from bowl games while under the bowl ban for 4 years......
Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Peeps! You are not reading the message here. A STATEMENT had to be made by the NCAA, which by the way is famous for punishments after the fact, and hopefully the STATEMENT was received by people that coach and run athletic programs that you can't ruin children's lives in the name of money and power and get by with it! I'm deeply concerned that anyone would even question this penalty in the light of what was done, it reflects poorly on one's character.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
Mr. Unassailable

Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
It seems most of C5 is on the same page on this one so far. I did not go to Penn state nor have I ever been a fan. I am a born and raised Texan. No bias here. This punishment is complete BS though.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
Mr. Unassailable

Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpackers View Post
Peeps! You are not reading the message here. A STATEMENT had to be made by the NCAA, which by the way is famous for punishments after the fact, and hopefully the STATEMENT was received by people that coach and run athletic programs that you can't ruin children's lives in the name of money and power and get by with it! I'm deeply concerned that anyone would even question this penalty in the light of what was done, it reflects poorly on one's character.
Yeah totally. Hey even though you were just at the movie and didn't shoot anyone, you can go to jail with the batman shooter. You know just for not stopping something that you didn't know was going on. Oh, btw your kids will also suffer because you didn't stop something you had no control over. Oh, and they are coming for you now. Even thought the criminal is already behind bars.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
Honestly, should be an indefinite Bowl Ban/Scholarship ban. And same should have happened to OSU. Kill the programs and go back to what really matters at a University: Learning.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
We all think there should be punishment...what we are saying is that what they received is not punishement.. Joe Pa is gone so he doesn't care, kids who are there can transfer so they can get away if they want....you vacate wins, no bowl games...BIG DEAL...of 60 mil in fines over 5 years...big whoop Penn State makes that a year....so there is no revenue sharing from bowl games...OK Scholarship reduction.....saves them money and out of 85 scholarships realistically 50 play....just look at game stats of who plays.....

Nothing they could do would ever make up for the crimes......NOTHING but it does appear that more should have been done to the institution that allowed this to go on...How bout no more state funds or federal funds? How bout changing something.

We all know boosters will pay the fine so in reality nothing has been done...oh they took down a statue but left his name on the library...why didn't the remove it from there....Maybe because they would have to pay the money back.....

The whole thing makes me sick.

But the sad thing is the dead guy is being blamed for everything...how convienent.......
Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 14 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, AudiQ53.0T
I understand this affects future students that had nothing to do with this. I'm just not sure what else they could have done in this situation.

The INSTITUTION of Penn state is what failed here. It wasn't just the 4 people named in the Freeh report. It was all the boosters, fans and other people that put JoePa and the football program on a pedestal above everything else. This "worship" of the football team made it so that those in power such as JoePa considered it OK to not go right to the police because of the damage it could do to "their" football program.

Just like the Catholic church, it was apparently better to sweep it under the rug and hope it went away.

So, I do not buy the fact that the INSTITUTION of Penn State shouldn't be punished. This INSTITUTION led to the CONTINUED sodomization and rape of children. This worship of a coach and team made it so that the coaches and leaders would ignore simple human goodness and ignore CHILD RAPE. What Sandusky did is absolutely unforgivable. What Paterno and the other leaders did to ignore and keep this under a lid is also unforgivable.

The Penn State football team was the only important thing here to many, including people now. People still try to defend Joe Paterno, saying it was wrong to remove the statue outside the stadium (though it may remain in the stadium???). JoePa's family still is trying to assert that he did nothing wrong.

Does all the good that he did go away because of this? No, but it definately is tainted now...for good or bad.

Integrity is what matters here, and Penn State failed when it came to integrity and protecting children. Hopefully, the penalties issued so far will help hammer home how much more important real life is than a simple game. Because that's what happened here. People in power felt a game that makes their university a lot of money was more important than a child's welfare. And that...is unforgivable.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
earn88hardt

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro SS
Quote:
I'm right with ya on this...............
earn88hardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I understand this affects future students that had nothing to do with this. I'm just not sure what else they could have done in this situation.

The INSTITUTION of Penn state is what failed here. It wasn't just the 4 people named in the Freeh report. It was all the boosters, fans and other people that put JoePa and the football program on a pedestal above everything else. This "worship" of the football team made it so that those in power such as JoePa considered it OK to not go right to the police because of the damage it could do to "their" football program.

Just like the Catholic church, it was apparently better to sweep it under the rug and hope it went away.

So, I do not buy the fact that the INSTITUTION of Penn State shouldn't be punished. This INSTITUTION led to the CONTINUED sodomization and rape of children. This worship of a coach and team made it so that the coaches and leaders would ignore simple human goodness and ignore CHILD RAPE. What Sandusky did is absolutely unforgivable. What Paterno and the other leaders did to ignore and keep this under a lid is also unforgivable.

The Penn State football team was the only important thing here to many, including people now. People still try to defend Joe Paterno, saying it was wrong to remove the statue outside the stadium (though it may remain in the stadium???). JoePa's family still is trying to assert that he did nothing wrong.

Does all the good that he did go away because of this? No, but it definately is tainted now...for good or bad.

Integrity is what matters here, and Penn State failed when it came to integrity and protecting children. Hopefully, the penalties issued so far will help hammer home how much more important real life is than a simple game. Because that's what happened here. People in power felt a game that makes their university a lot of money was more important than a child's welfare. And that...is unforgivable.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I think the anger and frustration felt by myself and many other alumni, fans, and family is that the actions taken today were based not on courtroom findings, not on due process, but on a report from a Single source: a report put together by a man hired by some of the very people who maintained the cover up of a disgusting man. A report that came together rather quickly (in my opinion) using e-mails and handwritten notes found on a rather touchy topic that were from 1998-2001. Now, ask yourself if you keep a handwritten note our email that implicates you to covering for a child molester for 14 years. You keep that in a safe place in a file marked "Sandusky cover up"? Maybe print the e mails out as well? Is out common for an institution the size of Penn State to keep e-mails around for so long? Further, Joe hated technology...so I am quite certain he sent a lot of e-mails about this topic rather than picking up the phone. No, the report does not sit with a lot of people due to it's expediency and questions about the sources that were so quickly found.

Now, with that said, I do not condone what happened at my university and I wish the penalties included the dismissal of all members of the board of trustees as well. I also feel that the NCAA overstepped their authority by going after the current football program when no academic or sporting rules were broken by the students who are being affected by this without any reason. The entire staff is gone, the administrators in jail. The fine doesn't bother me and I feel it should have been levied not at the program but at the University that failed the victims.

Lastly, I would like somebody to point out one D1 team that does not have a rabid fan base like the Nittany Lions, yet we are being singled out as putting football above all else including young kids. Anyone who knew Joe and knew what he stood for knows that isn't true...that is why his biggest monument is what he cared for the most, his library that he paid a sizable chunk of money for.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
I didn't read every post but they will nvr drop the football program cause it makes the NCAA money, I honestly don't kno if the punishments fits here but like someone said in '98 everything was investigated nd nothing was found but yet JoPa is still being held accountable.. rly? The man lived by tht program no this shud not b his legacy, it shud b about how much he loved nd did for college football
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

I sat, watched the news coverage of this, and reflected last night about this.......and it is so much BS it stinks to high heaven.........

Emmert says that the focus is to bring cultural change to college football and athletics in general and it main focus was to bring back the importance of education over sports....hmmmmmmmm YEAH RIGHT......TOTAL BS.....

Two points I will make....In 1998 the original child's mother filed a report with the POLICE Dept...not campus security....Child Services was contacted and BOTH did an investigation and took it all to the D/A and the District Attorney's office DECLINED to prosecute.......The police actually was sitting in another room listening to the Mother and Sandusky talk.

How is this Penn St's fault, more so Joe Paterno? Is it the Mother's fault as well since she did not press more, did she not do enough? See where I am going with this....If they are trying to make me believe that Joe Pa had power over the police dept, child services and the D/A's office that is something I will never buy.

Now to Emmert's statement about returning the focus to education over athletics..........Then why are we pimping out the National Championship Game to the highest bidder when the playoffs begin? Because of MONEY...not to do right by the fans, the university, the community but becuase of greed and money.

College football generates alot of money for the school, the state, the surrounding communities in revenue...it is all about money....Just think about how much money is made on just T-Shirts and hats or for that fact Parking at games.....

Just seems hypocritical to me and what they said.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
Warhead

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
I think the anger and frustration felt by myself and many other alumni, fans, and family is that the actions taken today were based not on courtroom findings, not on due process, but on a report from a Single source: a report put together by a man hired by some of the very people who maintained the cover up of a disgusting man. A report that came together rather quickly (in my opinion) using e-mails and handwritten notes found on a rather touchy topic that were from 1998-2001. Now, ask yourself if you keep a handwritten note our email that implicates you to covering for a child molester for 14 years. You keep that in a safe place in a file marked "Sandusky cover up"? Maybe print the e mails out as well? Is out common for an institution the size of Penn State to keep e-mails around for so long? Further, Joe hated technology...so I am quite certain he sent a lot of e-mails about this topic rather than picking up the phone. No, the report does not sit with a lot of people due to it's expediency and questions about the sources that were so quickly found.

Now, with that said, I do not condone what happened at my university and I wish the penalties included the dismissal of all members of the board of trustees as well. I also feel that the NCAA overstepped their authority by going after the current football program when no academic or sporting rules were broken by the students who are being affected by this without any reason. The entire staff is gone, the administrators in jail. The fine doesn't bother me and I feel it should have been levied not at the program but at the University that failed the victims.

Lastly, I would like somebody to point out one D1 team that does not have a rabid fan base like the Nittany Lions, yet we are being singled out as putting football above all else including young kids. Anyone who knew Joe and knew what he stood for knows that isn't true...that is why his biggest monument is what he cared for the most, his library that he paid a sizable chunk of money for.

I did not read the eniter Freeh report but what I did read is vague in Paterno's total involvement.

Do I feel there was a lack of concern for the children involved, yes.
Do I feel people failed to do the right thing and report to the proper authority, yes.

One thing the bothers me is Mike Mcqueary wittnessed an incedent in 2001, he did not go to the proper authority but do you hear his name mentioned?
Warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post

I did not read the eniter Freeh report but what I did read is vague in Paterno's total involvement.

Do I feel there was a lack of concern for the children involved, yes.
Do I feel people failed to do the right thing and report to the proper authority, yes.

One thing the bothers me is Mike Mcqueary wittnessed an incedent in 2001, he did not go to the proper authority but do you hear his name mentioned?

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

McQueary should have taken the child with him immeediately and called the police first and foremost...the same with the janitors in 1998 and then it would have been nipped in the bud.