Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
jims2SSL99
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L-99
Diablo sport in-tune I1000 Questions?????

I just bought a diablo sport in-tune I1000 & updated it already on the computer but I haven't plugged it in to my 2011 camaro 2ss/rs yet cause I've been reading that no matter what it will void my warranty! I bought this thing cause I thought that you could tune your car then tune it back when u go to the dealer & you wouldn't void your warranty. plus I have concerns on if my original tune will be keeped on my in-tune devise cause I've read on here other people lost ther original tune & had to go back to the dealer looking dumb & they voided the engine/ powertrain warranty! Does anybody have a diablo sport in-tune I 1000 & how do they like it????
jims2SSL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Jetcop20
Jetcop20

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
Geeeeezzzzzz

Yes I have one.....haven't even wondered/bothered to be concerned about my 100k warranty shiit..I'll probably never hit 20k on odometer..it works as advertised..so far only using 91 octane tiune (550 miles on it) DOD disabled..Top speed shut-off..double tap stabilitrak button ( in 1 sec its showing both lights and the DIC confirms that its OFF and in Sport Mode) I'll up it to the DIABLO SPORT TUNE after the CAI set-up, 3.70 gear and some exhaust work (probably the Borls S cat back with x pipe...) if you don't know a KOOL dealer then you can sweat-it out...F the flash counter..if something goes south in trans or engine I'll get it fixed NO PROBLEM I'm lucky if any of my vehicles get to 10k before they are traded in on the next BEST one..enjoy the damn thing
Jetcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
b.mears
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss 2009 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims2SSL99 View Post
I just bought a diablo sport in-tune I1000 & updated it already on the computer but I haven't plugged it in to my 2011 camaro 2ss/rs yet cause I've been reading that no matter what it will void my warranty! I bought this thing cause I thought that you could tune your car then tune it back when u go to the dealer & you wouldn't void your warranty. plus I have concerns on if my original tune will be keeped on my in-tune devise cause I've read on here other people lost ther original tune & had to go back to the dealer looking dumb & they voided the engine/ powertrain warranty! Does anybody have a diablo sport in-tune I 1000 & how do they like it????
NOT TRUE ABOUT VOIDING THE WARRANTY. I OWN A 2009 corvette also besides my 2012 camaro. I have used the diablo predator and the my intune on both cars. I never lost my factory tunes nor had any warranty issues. As long as you return the car to the stock tune before going to the dealership you will be fine. The issue with lost original tunes was due to a glitch in some update. I always look on the diablo forum to see if there are any updates. If there are I return my car to stock just to be on the safe side and then do the update. Also I am almost 100% sure diablosport can return your car back to the stock tune if you did loose your tune without going back to the dealer
b.mears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
L99BEN

Drives: 2012 Mustang 5.0 Brembo
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.mears View Post
NOT TRUE ABOUT VOIDING THE WARRANTY. I OWN A 2009 corvette also besides my 2012 camaro. I have used the diablo predator and the my intune on both cars. I never lost my factory tunes nor had any warranty issues. As long as you return the car to the stock tune before going to the dealership you will be fine. The issue with lost original tunes was due to a glitch in some update. I always look on the diablo forum to see if there are any updates. If there are I return my car to stock just to be on the safe side and then do the update. Also I am almost 100% sure diablosport can return your car back to the stock tune if you did loose your tune without going back to the dealer
Sweet!
Ive never heard a warranty horror story about this tune anywhere.
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims2SSL99 View Post
I've asked Diablo about their "In-Tune" not voiding your OEM warranty, and that it was untraceable by GM. When I asked then to show me in writing that using their In-Tune would NOT void my warranty they couldn't produce anything.

It's a sales-gimmick that it won't void your warranty. There is no way around the GM flash counter. If you tune your SS you lose your power train warranty. Simple as that.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
L99BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I've asked Diablo about their "In-Tune" not voiding your OEM warranty, and that it was untraceable by GM. When I asked then to show me in writing that using their In-Tune would NOT void my warranty they couldn't produce anything.

It's a sales-gimmick that it won't void your warranty. There is no way around the GM flash counter. If you tune your SS you lose your power train warranty. Simple as that.
Ive never read one story on the internet anywhere where someone had there warranty voided while using the Intune and I've been looking for a while.
As far as the flash counter can't you just say you disconnected your battery?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
Ive never read one story on the internet anywhere where someone had there warranty voided while using the Intune and I've been looking for a while.
No you can't disconnect your battery. It doesn't work like that. And that's fine that you can't find one story on the Internets about In-Tune voiding a warranty, but I'd that was the case why won't Diablo back up their claim with a warranty, in writing?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
Jetcop20
Jetcop20

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
Baaah Humbug

Enjoy it for what it was intended to do.got rid of the F'n AFM. The rest was icing on the cake....smoke the tires at will and that is that.....HO HO HO
Jetcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
L99BEN

Quote:
No you can't disconnect your battery. It doesn't work like that. And that's fine that you can't find one story on the Internets about In-Tune voiding a warranty, but I'd that was the case why won't Diablo back up their claim with a warranty, in writing?
Bama covers the cylinder 8 thing for the 5.0's and Ford Racing has their supplemental warranty. Would be nice but I wouldn't expect them to back it up in writhing. The customer may leave the tune on when going to the dealer and then expect Diablo to cover what the dealer didn't, too much grey area...
Anyway where are the horror stories of warranties voided while having the Intune??

It's not that I'm unethical but I don't want to have a powertrain defect issue completely unrelated to the tune and not be covered under warranty just because i have the tune...
Old 12-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
Quote:
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
L99BEN

Quote:
On the 5.0 the counter shows the same code disconnecting the battery and flashing the ecu. Are we talking about something different or is the Camaro different? Please advise if you're so knowledgeable...
Old 12-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
The Stig

Quote:
On the 5.0 the counter shows the same code disconnecting the battery and flashing the ecu. Are we talking about something different or is the Camaro different? Please advise if you're so knowledgeable...
The camaro counts how many times the ECM has been flashed. It records the date and time, unplugging the battery doesn't do anything to this counter. What GM looks for is date/times that are recorded in the ECM that they don't have a record of. Make sense?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
L99BEN

Quote:
The camaro counts how many times the ECM has been flashed. It records the date and time, unplugging the battery doesn't do anything to this counter. What GM looks for is date/times that are recorded in the ECM that they don't have a record of. Make sense?
I hear what you're saying. I'm assuming Diablo doesn't leave a trace of this. If it did people would be losing their warranty left and right.
I'll ask Diablo or a vendor about this. They may tell me what I want to hear but if what they say makes sense I'll report back.
I have a feeling you're going to be very closed minded on the subject no matter what unless there is something in writing.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Devilfish
US Navy Chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true. Now if you guys will excuse me I have a date with a Victoria's Secret model.

NONE OF THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE TRUE.
Devilfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
The Stig

Quote:
I hear what you're saying. I'm assuming Diablo doesn't leave a trace of this. If it did people would be losing their warranty left and right.
I'll ask Diablo or a vendor about this. They may tell me what I want to hear but if what they say makes sense I'll report back.
I have a feeling you're going to be very closed minded on the subject no matter what unless there is something in writing.
It's not that I'm closed minded. I just know that unless you have it in writing it doesn't mean anything. So until I see in writing that Diablo is guaranteeing the In-Tune I just see it as a marketing tactic.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Here's the deal. Any vendor can say what ever they want about any product and lack of evidence is not in it of it's self evidence. There are several vendors on here that have been tuning these engines for a long time. Sure you can revert the engine to stock, but if you break something and a dealer or GM wants to dig deep enough they will see the flash counter has increased not once but twice and that's enough of a red flag.

Quite frankly it's because of untrained tuners from long ago making hack tunes that they rightfully wont warranty a tuned engine and had to use a flash counter in the first place. People would get there vette tuned and blow the damn thing up and GM footed the bill. It's not fair. Those newbs ruined a good thing.

We all have to face it. "you gotta pay to play". I'm confident that a tune from Diablo or Ted or any of the other well known vendors most likely wouldn't damage anything, but the fact is you have to realize that no matter what your warranty (power train) is gone once you tune. I held off for almost three years before I did the dead and it was well worth it. I had the balance of the powertrain still left when I did it. If you need your warranty then sell it on here. I'm sure someone will bite. Or save it till you are ready to use it.

(you should just use it! )

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
Devilfish
US Navy Chief

Agreed. Vendors, dealers, and manufacturers can and will say anything you want to hear to make a sale. The Chevy dealer service tech may not notice it right away (minor warranty work) but if something major breaks, you better believe they will find it when they start digging deep. If you want to try it, that's up to you but don't go crying to diablo sport if Chevy denies work because they aren't going to help you pay for it.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
This is why you by an aftermarket warranty such as vehicle one, then your covered.
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #19
Illwill79

Drives: Silver 2011 Camaro 1SS/ RS
What if you had "legit" minor work done by a non-GM tech like Pep boy? Wouldn't that show a flash? I would never let anyone do warranty work on my car besides GM. Just playing devil's advocate.
Illwill79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
L99BEN

A place like Vehicle One could be used as a back up if the off chance you actually have a powertrain failure, the tune is discovered and you're wrongfully denied warranty coverage when your failure was actually caused by a defect and not the tune.
I've heard 3rd part warranty company's can be scammy though...
Obviously if the tune was the obvious cause the fix should be out of my pocket.

Last edited by L99BEN; 12-28-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
Devilfish
US Navy Chief

The way GM views it is that they tuned the car the way they did for a reason. If you tune, you are changing the safe parameters of the factory tune, which are done the way they were to get a good balance of performance and reliability. When you change those parameters who's to say that it wasn't the cause of premature failure of any parts. This is why they will not warranty an aftermarket tuned vehicle. Call their denials wrong if you want, but they are protecting themselves. If you were to modify a peice of electronic equipment (ipod, iphone, computer) to improve on something you think it doesnt do well enough, do you think that Apple or whoever is still going to honor their warranty? Nope. You have to pay if you want to play.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #22
MrGs SS

Drives: 2013 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilfish View Post
They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true. Now if you guys will excuse me I have a date with a Victoria's Secret model.
I have a date with a french model, met her on the internet.. her name is.. wait.. BOB?????
Change of plans.......................

NONE OF THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE TRUE.
MrGs SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #23
the barber

Drives: 13' Sw 2ss Ls3
I read you can't put any thing that isn't true on the internet... off the internet
the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #24
bbart427

Drives: 2001 SS camaro
Factory warranty voided?

What if one buys a used 2011 SS camaro and wants to keep the factory warranty, how do they know if the vehicle has already been flash tuned??
bbart427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #25
Bolt-onC6

Drives: 08 Corvette
http://www.diablosport.com/products/intune.html See question #13 under the FAQs tab - They say inTune in the question and then Trinity in the answer? Typo I suppose???

13. Does the inTune void my vehicle's warranty?
No- the Trinity does not leave any traces in your vehicle when you restore the original settings.
Bolt-onC6 is offline   Reply With Quote