Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Full System with Stock Head Unit

In the next couple of weeks I'll be having new speakers, two amps, a subwoofer, and a processor installed. I'll be keeping the stock head unit though because I can't afford it right now.

My question is simply how will it sound? I know the weak link is going to be the stock head unit and it WILL be an inferior sound compared to an aftermarket one, but would it be enough of a difference to warrant waiting a while to save up another $1500? Or will the processor help enough for now?
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I think that the processor will help for now. I've been running with the stock head unit and am comfortably fine with the sound in my car. I have all Alpine Type-R speakers, 2 JL Audio amps, and a 12" JL Audio sub.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Don't expect miracles. It's like beefing up the suspension and drivetrain to withstand 1000 horsepower, and running the stock engine. Doesn't mean it's not improved, but you won't see the potential realized until you get the main unit.

Now, if you CAN get all that stuff to work and all you'd have left is to plug-n-play the head unit, I say go ahead and start. If you have to do a lot of work to swap out the head unit even after the rest of the system, then I say wait. You'll be that much more motivated to save in the meantime.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
the processor will definately help. I have aftermarket head unit and still want a sound processor.. so go figure.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
darkrider01
Deaf Audiophile

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
If that processor is a JBL MS-8, then it will really fix most of the problems that the head unit / factory amp produces. Do you have the Boston system, or the basic system?

Also, if you think that you'll want to replace the factory head unit no matter what, be sure to go ahead and run the RCA's now. The number of RCA's is dependent on which processor you go with.
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
If that processor is a JBL MS-8, then it will really fix most of the problems that the head unit / factory amp produces. Do you have the Boston system, or the basic system?

Also, if you think that you'll want to replace the factory head unit no matter what, be sure to go ahead and run the RCA's now. The number of RCA's is dependent on which processor you go with.
To be honest, I'm not really sure what processor is going in. The head unit was in the original plan, but I realized I couldn't swing it and my installer suggested a processor in the meantime. I just know the one being used is in the $200 range.

I have the BA system as well.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
darkrider01
Deaf Audiophile

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
To be honest, I'm not really sure what processor is going in. The head unit was in the original plan, but I realized I couldn't swing it and my installer suggested a processor in the meantime. I just know the one being used is in the $200 range.

I have the BA system as well.
For around $200 it must be a JL Audio CleanSweep or maybe an Alpine Imprint.

Either should help. Best of luck!
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote