Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
jshaf


 
jshaf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Masontown, WV
Posts: 3,303
how much speaker wire

having door speakers installed and want to purchase the materials before hand. having wires running from the amp which is installed right behind the rear seat to the doors, how much wire for two doors, any particular awg rating?
__________________
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle
 
darkrider01's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 673
I personally wouldn't go smaller than 16ga. You could probably get by with 30 feet or so, but I'd go with 50 to be 100% sure. If it's just for one speaker in each door, 30 feet would probably do.
__________________
My amplifier pop/click/thump solution thread
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
CWI
Helping Build America
 
CWI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nationwide
Posts: 3,735
I've always been told the OEM wire is enough unless you get into some extreme wattage. What gauge wire is stock, I don't even know.

Look at this.http://www.audioholics.com/education...er-cable-gauge
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
CrutchfieldBrooke
 
CrutchfieldBrooke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 333
I pretty much tell my customers at work the same thing that darkrider suggested yo you as far as gauge and length goes.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
jeepguy_1980

 
jeepguy_1980's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Newport News
Posts: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
I've always been told the OEM wire is enough unless you get into some extreme wattage. What gauge wire is stock, I don't even know.

Look at this.http://www.audioholics.com/education...er-cable-gauge
The stock wire is about 20awg.


I see you have a 1LT, which means that the suggestion of just using the stock wiring isn't an option. But you have two options:
1) Run wire from your amp into each door. This will be a massive pain. You will have to drill your door and door jamb, or drill your wiring harness to make room for the new/larger wiring.
2) Run the wire from the amp to behind your dash, use an aftermarket harness and splice the speaker wires from the amp into the front door speaker wires on the harness. I suggest buying a PAC AA-GM44 and use the wiring harness included. The downside to this option is you are running through some of the stock wiring.
Regardless of the route you choose, the best option for wiring the rear speakers is to go directly from the amp. To wire the doors as in option one, I would recommend 25' per side, 50' total. For option 2, I would recommend 20 feet per side, 40 feet total. For the trunk speakers, I would say 25 feet total.

The harness I used:


To do option one, here is a video of using the stock harness. If you do not use the harness option and decide to drill the door, the doors have to be removed and then re-installed and aligned by a body shop.
jeepguy_1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
jshaf


 
jshaf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Masontown, WV
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
The stock wire is about 20awg.


I see you have a 1LT, which means that the suggestion of just using the stock wiring isn't an option. But you have two options:
1) Run wire from your amp into each door. This will be a massive pain. You will have to drill your door and door jamb, or drill your wiring harness to make room for the new/larger wiring.
2) Run the wire from the amp to behind your dash, use an aftermarket harness and splice the speaker wires from the amp into the front door speaker wires on the harness. I suggest buying a PAC AA-GM44 and use the wiring harness included. The downside to this option is you are running through some of the stock wiring.
Regardless of the route you choose, the best option for wiring the rear speakers is to go directly from the amp. To wire the doors as in option one, I would recommend 25' per side, 50' total. For option 2, I would recommend 20 feet per side, 40 feet total. For the trunk speakers, I would say 25 feet total.

The harness I used:


To do option one, here is a video of using the stock harness. If you do not use the harness option and decide to drill the door, the doors have to be removed and then re-installed and aligned by a body shop.
got with the installer and we are doing option 2, thanks for the info. he was out of a couple items so will have to wait til later next week to get it installed but he discribed your option #2 almost exactly.
__________________
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
CWI
Helping Build America
 
CWI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nationwide
Posts: 3,735
I am using the factory wiring to the doors to Focals with 150 watts per channel. Guess i'll have to check the resistance of the speakers vs. the speakers and wire to see if the wiring is choking the signal. I'm thinking the factory wire is at least 16 ga though.
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
jeepguy_1980

 
jeepguy_1980's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Newport News
Posts: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
I am using the factory wiring to the doors to Focals with 150 watts per channel. Guess i'll have to check the resistance of the speakers vs. the speakers and wire to see if the wiring is choking the signal. I'm thinking the factory wire is at least 16 ga though.
It's not 16 gauge. It's 20.
jeepguy_1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America
 
CWI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nationwide
Posts: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
It's not 16 gauge. It's 20.
I'll definately have to measure the resistance next weekend when I install my new MS-8. Time to optimize the system.
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
The 2010 Sin
CorkTulsa.com
 
The 2010 Sin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS BLK, 2013 2SS CRT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,851
If you're going to run new wire to your doors remember you're going to have to drill a hole as a wire doesnt like to go through a molex plug! :-P
__________________
The 2010 Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.