Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
Sanjay Collins

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT
Cystom "Flowtie"

Cystom? Thanks, phone. So, I have a 2014 1LT, and as we all know you can't really remove the bowtie. The grille insert doesn't work because of the landing pad on the 2014 and 2015 non-RS models, so the only other option is another grille. Which I originally wanted to get the Z/28 grille with no bowtie but I don't want to spend $300 and tear apart my bumper just for that. So, I just painted the bowtie black with Plasti Dip when I bought the car. But today I decided to be bold. I yanked the bowtie from the landing pad, grabbed a kitchen knife and a lighter, and cut out the center of the landing pad. It was easy to follow the bowtie shape since the original bowtie left a line around the outside of the landing strip. Now, I was originally going to cut out the center of the bowtie itself and 3M it back on to the landing pad since all the clips and holes were gone, but I actually really liked the look of it the way it was. Looks kind of like the ZL1 grille but the landing pad is recessed a little. Tomorrow I'm going to take my Dremel and smooth out the border where the knife cut and then I'll post some pictures. So, stay tuned.
IPF Tuning PowerTune™ - Roto-Fab cold air intake - VMAX Motorsports CNC spiral ported throttle body - Elite Engineering catch can - American Racing Headers catless downpipes - MagnaFlow Exhaust resonated x-pipe - custom muffler deletes - Vitesse Motorsports throttle controller - Speedhut SST-MAX OBDII shift light - BMR Suspension strut tower brace.
Sanjay Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
you sure? coz I bought a 2014 SS grille for my conversion and it looks like you can pop them off but I just dremel it to make it quicker,theyre not going back on anyways.

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
Sanjay Collins

Yeah, I know mine for sure doesn't come off. The bowtie does but the landing strip behind it is molded to the grille. I'm pretty sure all of the non-RS grilles have the up and down bars and the bar from left to right accross the center. The RS and 1LE doesn't seem to have the left and right bar across the center, all of the badges look to be held on by a backing plate or something.

Non-RS
Name:  ca1225_1.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  58.8 KB

RS
Name:  Tom Henry BBQ 045.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  152.7 KB
IPF Tuning PowerTune™ - Roto-Fab cold air intake - VMAX Motorsports CNC spiral ported throttle body - Elite Engineering catch can - American Racing Headers catless downpipes - MagnaFlow Exhaust resonated x-pipe - custom muffler deletes - Vitesse Motorsports throttle controller - Speedhut SST-MAX OBDII shift light - BMR Suspension strut tower brace.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Sanjay Collins

Before.
Name:  Screenshot_2015-07-21-20-10-59.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  88.8 KB

After, just needs to be smoothed out.
Name:  20150721_200855.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  125.9 KB
Old 07-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #5
Dyk-NO

Yeah I just dremeled around it and sand it a bit and painted the whole thing black.

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #6
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Drives: Camaro
Not bad!! Looks real good.

__________________________________________________ _________

This is what is behind the bowtie on the RS's.
Attached Images

hzisfrom1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Sanjay Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzisfrom1994 View Post
Not bad!! Looks real good.

__________________________________________________ _________

This is what is behind the bowtie on the RS's.
Thanks! See, THAT grille would have been so much more easier to deal with, just cut out it completely. I'm about to start sanding the inside edges.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

I think I understand now how can I get the flowtie with my grill.

Thanks for the idea!!

Very clever!!

How do you exactly "cut" it, like fire it up a little bit the plastic, and use the knife to cut the "semi-melted" plastic?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
Sanjay Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzisfrom1994 View Post
I think I understand now how can I get the flowtie with my grill.

Thanks for the idea!!

Very clever!!

How do you exactly "cut" it, like fire it up a little bit the plastic, and use the knife to cut the "semi-melted" plastic?
I just grabbed the smallest and sharpest kitchen knife I had and one of those BIC lighters with the trigger, held the blade in the flame until I felt it was hot enough and just pushed it into the plastic. I only had to use a little bit of force and it went right through, and I just worked my way around. I had to reheat it for every section and it's not completely straight all around, but that's what I'm using my Dremel for. I'll take some closer pictures when I'm finished.

I was originally going to do the same with the bowtie, cut out the center and 3M it back onto the pad since all the clips and holes were gone, but I actually like the recessed look instead of it protruding out past the grille. So I just tossed it into my glove box for now.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay Collins View Post
I just grabbed the smallest and sharpest kitchen knife I had and one of those BIC lighters with the trigger, held the blade in the flame until I felt it was hot enough and just pushed it into the plastic. I only had to use a little bit of force and it went right through, and I just worked my way around. I had to reheat it for every section and it's not completely straight all around, but that's what I'm using my Dremel for. I'll take some closer pictures when I'm finished.

I was originally going to do the same with the bowtie, cut out the center and 3M it back onto the pad since all the clips and holes were gone, but I actually like the recessed look instead of it protruding out past the grille. So I just tossed it into my glove box for now.
Thank you for the info sir!! =)
Old 07-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
Sanjay Collins

About as good as I can get it. I might do the actual bowtie itself later and if it comes out well I might 3M it pack on to the landing pad. We'll see.

Name:  Flowtie.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  Flowtie2.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  111.8 KB
Old 07-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #12
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:18 PM   #13
Dyk-NO

I cut it from the insides with a Dremel with different bits to fit weird angles and spaces and just sanded edges for a cleaner look and then boom instant flow tie.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #14
Sanjay Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
I cut it from the insides with a Dremel with different bits to fit weird angles and spaces and just sanded edges for a cleaner look and then boom instant flow tie.
It definitely looks a lot better than just plasti dipping it. I really don't like the grainy texture on the original bowtie, shows through the plasti dip as well. I just tossed the whole thing in the trash.