Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #69
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Try to prove me that there wasn't an SS that had a bigger engine and better performance then the Z28 in any of the Generations?
The Z/28 was not an entry level V8 model. It was set up for Trans Am racing with the 5 liter displacement cap so the Z/28 came with the 302. Just because there are other cars with bigger engines, doesn't mean the Z/28 was entry level.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #70
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: a 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the birth land of the Gen4 Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Z/28 was not an entry level V8 model. It was set up for Trans Am racing with the 5 liter displacement cap so the Z/28 came with the 302. Just because there are other cars with bigger engines, doesn't mean the Z/28 was entry level.
Yes, absolutely. Trans AM was an entry level racing I should of said. (Entry level meant Money wise)
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #71
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 1,026
Yes, correct, 1LE is a package..The Z/28 was also a package that became a car. Difference is everyone recognizes a badge and will buy because of the badge. This is a hell of a deal for any package with the changes it has included. The smart buyers(AKA camaro5 users and enthusiasts) will purchase this package and little to no one else because they don't have the knowledge of it and you can't depend on dealers to have that info. That was the only reason for me saying it was a waste of a name. ME? Yes of course I am thinking about trading up, then buying headers and cam and I'll have my little slice of heaven..or maybe I will wait just a tad longer and keep praying that I can just have that same car but with a warranty..Z/28
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #72
hightower
LS3 Black Widow
 
hightower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Madison, GA
Posts: 4,560
Yes!
__________________
hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #73
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: a 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the birth land of the Gen4 Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
Yes, correct, 1LE is a package..The Z/28 was also a package that became a car. Difference is everyone recognizes a badge and will buy because of the badge. This is a hell of a deal for any package with the changes it has included. The smart buyers(AKA camaro5 users and enthusiasts) will purchase this package and little to no one else because they don't have the knowledge of it and you can't depend on dealers to have that info. That was the only reason for me saying it was a waste of a name. ME? Yes of course I am thinking about trading up, then buying headers and cam and I'll have my little slice of heaven..or maybe I will wait just a tad longer and keep praying that I can just have that same car but with a warranty..Z/28
True.
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #74
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: a 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the birth land of the Gen4 Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 2,034
anyway...who wants to buy my 2010 SS? I need to trade up.
It only has 37,700Km so its even less for you guys south of the border... 23,560 miles! lol
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #75
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Nice driving. That Charger should have moved out the way a little sooner. Looks like everybody was having fun. Where is that track? California? Can see why you would want a 1LE now.
Circuit Mont Tremblant is NE of Ottawa, across the border in Quebec (about 100 mi. N of where Gen-4 F-cars were assembled). Formerly known as St. Jovite, in the old days, when it hosted Can Am and Trans Am. Great technical track with elevation changes indicative of the ski country its carved from.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #76
Jimmy Superfly
 
Jimmy Superfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IBM 1SS L99/A6
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUONCRS View Post
2010 Camaro SS - 3:09.50
2012 Camaro 1LE - 2:58.34
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 2:52.38

Yeah, I'd say the 1LE package is worth $3500....
The improved FE4 suspension on the '12 and '13 SS could probably shave a little time off that 3:09.50 but yes the 1LE appears to be one hell of a deal!!

__________________
Ontario Camaro Club member

2012 IBM 1SS L99/A6 - JDP DASILVA Motorsports
APEX - Brembo Ridetech BMR Pfadt Prothane Spohn Hawk LG CAI Michelin American Racing Wheels
Jimmy Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #77
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: a 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the birth land of the Gen4 Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Circuit Mont Tremblant is NE of Ottawa, across the border in Quebec. Formerly known as St. Jovite, in the old days, when it hosted Can Am and Trans Am. Great technical track with elevation changes indicative of the ski country its carved from.
Ya, those where the good old days when my dad used to go watch these crazy drivers:
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #78
PistonsFan
 
Drives: 08 CTS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
Hold on a sec. I seem to remember the ZL1 beating a LS Boss by 2.45 seconds in the Motortrend test. That was by a pro driver under the same conditions. You're telling me the 1LE can beat it by four on VIR. Please! Looking forward to running into one of these on the track. Don't buy into hero runs or you'll be seriously disappointed at the track.

I will admit that was some great driving in the video. Look forward to a test by Motortrend with Randy driving.
That's half the track.

ZL1............ 1:41.3
Boss 302..... 1:43.7

A 3 minute lap is almost twice the track. That 2.4 second lap difference could be more like 4 seconds @ VIR. (I understand every track will be different)

I'll agree that the gap is probably smaller than 4 seconds, but from what we can see so far, the 1LE is no slouch! Hard to believe considering the power-to-weight ratios.
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #79
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,008
From top speed:

Quote:
Chevrolet Camaro is about to receive some major updates for the 2014 model year, but until then, the 2013 model will be getting a series of improvements to prep it for the following year. The major addition will be a new race-spec 1LE package, which will be joined by an updated interior with a new 7 inch color screen
What major updates is the camaro going to get in 2014? I didn't think the redesign was until 2015?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #80
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 480
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
That's half the track.

ZL1............ 1:41.3
Boss 302..... 1:43.7

A 3 minute lap is almost twice the track. That 2.4 second lap difference could be more like 4 seconds @ VIR. (I understand every track will be different)

I'll agree that the gap is probably smaller than 4 seconds, but from what we can see so far, the 1LE is no slouch! Hard to believe considering the power-to-weight ratios.
It's probably no gap at all. You can't compare lightning laps to GM hero runs. It was a nice run but lets get a third party with a pro driver to duke it out.

This will do one of two things. Show the 1LE is a heck of a performer and making the ZL1 look bad from a value perspective or not be as fast as the Boss 302 but close which would make sense looking at power to weight with no magnetic ride control.
__________________
2014 GT500
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #81
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,675
Now we need a F-41 suspension package available for the V6 models. All they would need to do is put the SS suspension, wheels and tires, and brembo brakes. I think people would buy it.
Thanks for the info Becky, another great reason to buy from you. You are always on top of new information.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #82
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
What major updates is the camaro going to get in 2014?
That is ZEE $45,000 question...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #83
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
That is ZEE $45,000 question...
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #84
Jimmy Superfly
 
Jimmy Superfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IBM 1SS L99/A6
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Now we need a F-41 suspension package available for the V6 models. All they would need to do is put the SS suspension, wheels and tires, and brembo brakes. I think people would buy it.
Thanks for the info Becky, another great reason to buy from you. You are always on top of new information.
A V6 "track pack" with suspension, wheels, tires and brakes from the SS would be pretty cool.
__________________
Ontario Camaro Club member

2012 IBM 1SS L99/A6 - JDP DASILVA Motorsports
APEX - Brembo Ridetech BMR Pfadt Prothane Spohn Hawk LG CAI Michelin American Racing Wheels
Jimmy Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #85
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Ya, those where the good old days when my dad used to go watch these crazy drivers:
You'll notice the race sponsor was Player's...the same folks that underwrote the GM/Player's Challenge Series 20 years later that begat the 1LE...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.