Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
P 0171 and P 0174 Codes and Stalling at idle

Ok hopefully someone can give me some ideas on what is causing this. 2010 LS 3 LT headers, Vararam intake, Jannetty tune. Within the last couple of weeks I've noticed the car starting to idle lower in RPM than usual, now Sunday it actually stalled a couple of times at idle so I checked the codes and it's throwing the P 0171 an 0174 codes which are lean fuel trims for bank 1 and bank 2. Can anybody give me some ideas of what causes this. The car has run fine all summer up till about 2 weeks ago when I started noticing the drop in idle RPM.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
do you have a catch can? the drain valve could open
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
DandD

Yes I do, I'll check that while I'm checking for a vacuum leak, in the vacuum lines.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Also, if you have a breather, make sure the OEM air tube was deleted and capped, and the RX breather has an integrated flow controlling checkvalve to keep fuel trims within acceptable parameters...open breather will allow exess unmetered air in and cause the issue your seeing.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Nessal

Drives: Lotus Exige
I had this same problem...same codes....turns out that the seals for the intake manifold on the #8 runner was melted. Don't know how the hell that happened but it was introducing unmetered air through that side of the manifold causing the car to run lean. Incidentally, this is the same cylinder that had a valve spring break 8 months prior. A smoke test of the manifold proved this to be true. After replacing the manifold with a new one, everything is good.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
DandD

Hey thanks for all the help guys, problem solved, I started looking for vacuum leaks and checked the catch can too everything is working great there Tracey, and Nessal mine was on the same lines as yours but I think I got ya beat. The catch can was working fine and the drain was closed and there were no obvious vacuum leaks that I could see. So I took the engine cover off and looked at my Vararam intake and I'll be damned if the bottom of the high temp silicon tube wasn't disconnected, obviously the clamp wasn't tight enough from the initial install. I put it back on and TIGHTENED everything properly and it runs great again. I can't wait to get my hands on that a$$hole that installed it....oh wait a minute that was me...DOHHHHHH.......anyways as usual thanks a lot guys!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
DandD

The scary thing about this is, I've felt this coming on over the last 2 weeks or so, and even with that leak the car ran a 12.56 @ 112 with a 1.86 60' on Sunday before it really started idling rough and stalled once so I took it home.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
I had the same problem shortly after installing my MPD Hood and K&N Typhoon, mostly happened when I was behind a big truck. When we did the tune no problem, then it happened again. Someone suggested it may be turbulence under the hood caused by the open air box and air induction. You installed a Vararam, same principle as my hood, sounds similar to what you had, I was able to baffle the hood air, and the problem went away. When I converted to the ZL1 front end I removed the baffle and no problem...
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote