Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Top Replacement on Tramtwo's 2011 2SS Vert

Turned car in on Monday to have the top replaced. I have had rub mark problems and deep wrinkles (top was down for three months on showroom floor) with the top documented since the car was about two months old. The marks continued to worsen despite the dealer performing all enchantments. My top is 11 months old and has 20k miles on it. Many of the marks have begun fraying. The service manager made the call about 2 months ago to replace the top and we have waited for parts ever since.The installation is being outsourced to a local trim shop.

I have been reluctant to have the top replaced because we all know the real problem is in the frame mechanism. Also with this top there has been no water leaking or excessive wind noise. I am sure that this local trim shop has not done a fifth gen car before. I just hope that their 50 years of experience gets the job done right the first time.

Rub marks are one thing, a top that has frayed in less than a year is something different. This is my dealers fifth bite at the apple. 1 more than the trigger to lemon the car in Louisiana. I am really hoping for the best as I have over 7k in mods invested in my car and don't want to start that process all over again.

tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Turned car in on Monday to have the top replaced. I have had rub mark problems and deep wrinkles (top was down for three months on showroom floor) with the top documented since the car was about two months old. The marks continued to worsen despite the dealer performing all enchantments. My top is 11 months old and has 20k miles on it. Many of the marks have begun fraying. The service manager made the call about 2 months ago to replace the top and we have waited for parts ever since.The installation is being outsourced to a local trim shop.

I have been reluctant to have the top replaced because we all know the real problem is in the frame mechanism. Also with this top there has been no water leaking or excessive wind noise. I am sure that this local trim shop has not done a fifth gen car before. I just hope that their 50 years of experience gets the job done right the first time.

Rub marks are one thing, a top that has frayed in less than a year is something different. This is my dealers fifth bite at the apple. 1 more than the trigger to lemon the car in Louisiana. I am really hoping for the best as I have over 7k in mods invested in my car and don't want to start that process all over again.

I am sorry for the inconveniences you may be experiencing. Do you have an existing case with GM customer service? If not, I would like to set one up for you and do some more research regarding this concern. Please send me your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage and involved dealership.

I look forward to your correspondence.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I am sorry for the inconveniences you may be experiencing. Do you have an existing case with GM customer service? If not, I would like to set one up for you and do some more research regarding this concern. Please send me your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage and involved dealership.

I look forward to your correspondence.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Let's get the car back first and see if the problem has been fixed. Thanks for your offer.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
cactuseater

Drives: .
Customer Service and case numbers only do one thing, they call the dealership incessantly and tell you the same thing the dealer service manager just told you a few minutes before. Just a bunch of phone calls by some call center somewhere. Total waste of time, but it does help with documenting the problem.

Replacing the entire defective design flawed mechanism with the new design is the step they should take, but Chevy is arrogant in their resistance to repair these vehicles correctly. It also seems that the fixes are inconsistent from dealer to dealer and especially from state to state. Demand the new mechanism and see what happens, the animal will show it's real stripes at that point, and you'll know what your're dealing with.

I am on the receiving end of that BS game as well. Also way past the statute requirements in my state as well, over 100 days out of service since January 2012.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Customer Service and case numbers only do one thing, they call the dealership incessantly and tell you the same thing the dealer service manager just told you a few minutes before. Just a bunch of phone calls by some call center somewhere. Total waste of time, but it does help with documenting the problem.

Replacing the entire defective design flawed mechanism with the new design is the step they should take, but Chevy is arrogant in their resistance to repair these vehicles correctly. It also seems that the fixes are inconsistent from dealer to dealer and especially from state to state. Demand the new mechanism and see what happens, the animal will show it's real stripes at that point, and you'll know what your're dealing with.

I am on the receiving end of that BS game as well. Also way past the statute requirements in my state as well, over 100 days out of service since January 2012.

Replacing the entire mechanism with a new one is not going to happen right away.I have been saying all along the been counters are in control at GM.so they attempt to fix A, then A+B, then A+B+C and when they have exhausted all attempts they might consider putting on a new top mechanism or they will just let you lemon law it.
Hell, I couldn't even get GM Canada to approve new carpeting when I had the finding nemo effect(flood in backseat floor area caused by water management bag failure).So I spent $45K on a car to have flood ravaged carpeting in it.I must say though my dealer did an excellent job cleaning it up(no musty smell at all).Aside from the obvious problem of design flaw/top problems, the dealers ability to repair such , varies from dealer to dealer.If a dealer has top experience then you have a good chance at a repair(may no solve the rub marks since they are a design flaw) but could have other issues fixed ie broken 5th bow.I have had both my 5th bow replaced and my water management bag replaced at 2 different times as GM Canada would not approve the water management bag replacement at the time the 5th bow was being replaced.Sure enough at 6-7 weeks after 5th bow replaced, I was back in for the finding nemo effect.It has been 2 months since and knock on wood, all seems to be holding together right now.How long the repairs will last is anyones guess.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
That almost looked like I was watching a video of my roof, except your wrinkles are worse. good luck, keep good documentation and start researching your state's lemon law.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
tramtwo

Got the car back today. And the first impressions are... great!

The fit of the top while up is perfect. No wrinkles or waves and it doesn't appear to be overly tight.

This new top sits in the well much different than the old. This one folds up more compact. There are no parts of the top that touch the well. It does seem to ride a tad higher.

The interior sound level in the car was good with the old top it is much quieter now. I never checked over my shoulder once to see if the back window was down.

I know GM paid $1,400 to the trim shop to install this top. I looked over everything and can find no defects.

I will post up some photos soon and I will also perform the lotion rub test to see if I am still going to be susceptible to the classic rub marks.

I never believed the tops could look this good. Now if I can just keep it this way.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
cactuseater

Drives: .
Sending good vibes your way man. Hoping mine comes back just as good in the next few days....
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
tramtwo

See below. I am very happy with the top. There seems to be one wrinkle above the drivers door.. I am assured this is an easy fix.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #10
tramtwo

PHOTOS

Attached Images

Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
THIS looks good. Now lets ALL hope the new tops/fix stay that way.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Looks great tramtwo...fingers crossed...good luck!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
dannykay

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Looks like your windows are tinted.....is the dealership going to compensate you for the back window to get it re-tinted?
dannykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykay View Post
Looks like your windows are tinted.....is the dealership going to compensate you for the back window to get it re-tinted?
free oil change

Tags
fraying, marks, replacement, top, wrinkles