Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
C-redfly

 
C-redfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 844
Anyone added 3.55's to thier LFX?

Trying to see what kind of difference it will make to go from the 2ls 2.92's to the 3.55's. Share some results if any.
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,111
2LS ratio to the 3.55s would probably yield some pretty noticeable results.

But the 3.27s on the rest of the cars to the 3.55s isn't much of a jump...but still an improvement. I'd rather have 3.55s on mine than the 3.27s, but at the same time there is no way I'd pay that much for that small of a gain. 3.73s would be nice if available, but at that point the cruising rpms will start to go up a bit high...probably between 2,300 and 2,500 rpm. 4.10s great for the strip in an automatic, but I'd never consider it for my car.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
C-redfly

 
C-redfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 844
Yea exactly. I got those 2.92's so I'm yearning for some 3.73's. I read in the ss a6 with 3.73's, you cruise at 2,050 and with 4.11's 2,250. Not sure how true it is but 2,050 is smooth on the highway with our LFX's. So I'm gonna do a rear swap soon to get the 3.73's
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
etmx183

 
etmx183's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS, 04 Turbo Busa
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 1,036
Is your car an Automatic? If so let me know what you are doing for the swap out. My understanding that there is no easy swap out for the automatics due to the A6 driveshaft couplings Vs differential pinion flanges on the M6/SS rear. Thanks for any feedback.


Quote:
Originally Posted by C-redfly View Post
Yea exactly. I got those 2.92's so I'm yearning for some 3.73's. I read in the ss a6 with 3.73's, you cruise at 2,050 and with 4.11's 2,250. Not sure how true it is but 2,050 is smooth on the highway with our LFX's. So I'm gonna do a rear swap soon to get the 3.73's
__________________
CAI intake, RX catch can, NYTREX Nitrous,RX Ported Throttle body, APEX air scoop & washer relocation kit,, BMR diff bushings, cradle bushings, driveshaft loop and tunnel brace, trailing arms, toe arms, Hurst Roll control, Flex-a-lite transmission cooler, SOLO HFCs, M/T 20" D/Rs, FTI 3400 stall converter, JacFab ported intake manifold and upper intake isolator (12/13) Solo cat back Mach X system (2/14), SS diff 3.91 gears (11/2013) Weld RT-S 17x10 & 17x5 (4/2014)
TUNING BY: HP Tuners /MATT@FSP
( 1.63 60' / 12.238@107.62 10/25/2013 )
Refusing to grow older, I just go faster.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
C-redfly

 
C-redfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 844
I'm gonna look into it to get more details but ppl have definitely already completed the swap.
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
butters
It's not the batmobile!
 
butters's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,086
3.73 for sure!
__________________
butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #7
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,794
If the LFX is very different in the rear from the LLT then no one has attempted it. But if its the same, many have already swapped out their rear for the M6 from an SS. The person I remember doing it is member Asanti. He has a thread on how he did it and what parts he had to buy. If I remember right, he spent like 2000 dollars in parts. He did all the work himself so it might be more if a shop does it for you.
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread

Last edited by lscamaro; 09-13-2013 at 12:31 AM.
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
The richmond 3.55 ring and pinion did not fit my LFX rear!!!! Ring gear is 1/4 inch thinner than stock and they don't make a shim kit to correct this.. I have a feeling it is a different series carrier. Jegs is taking everything back. Richmond called today but I was busy and missed the call. I should know something tomorrow. I went ahead and bit the bullet on the ss rear stuff for the swap. Meanwhile my wallet is 500 dollars lighter for getting my old gears put back in. Not happy with having to pay for the installation of a defective product. I bet they probably did not even look at a lfx differential before slapping a 2010 and up label on it. I feel I should get my money back for tthe mechanics bill..
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,794
The 3.55 wouldn't even have made a difference. I would of just have done the ss rear swap from the beginning.

Btw, damn a year old thread!
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

 
Jason@JacFab's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Point, OR
Posts: 3,451
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
The richmond 3.55 ring and pinion did not fit my LFX rear!!!! Ring gear is 1/4 inch thinner than stock and they don't make a shim kit to correct this.. I have a feeling it is a different series carrier. Jegs is taking everything back. Richmond called today but I was busy and missed the call. I should know something tomorrow. I went ahead and bit the bullet on the ss rear stuff for the swap. Meanwhile my wallet is 500 dollars lighter for getting my old gears put back in. Not happy with having to pay for the installation of a defective product. I bet they probably did not even look at a lfx differential before slapping a 2010 and up label on it. I feel I should get my money back for tthe mechanics bill..
That's very interesting... I wasn't aware of this as I had also purchased a set of Richmond 3.55 (which I currently have listed in the classifieds as I am changing directions, and bought them prematurely)... I am not aware of any difference in the GM 7.6" IRS rear end from 10-11 to 12-14. I purchased a 2011 3.27 rear from an LLT car to swap into my car (w/ the 3.55's), but now... wtf?

I'll report back on what I find once I jerk the stock 2ls rear out. Would be a shame if the 3.27 geared 2011 LLT rear end didn't fit for some reason.

Perhaps I will pull the cover off the back of the LLT rear and hold the 3.55 ring gear up to it for pictures. LFX rear comparison? That may have to wait a bit.

However, thinking back (not too far mind you)... You can/could purchase ring gear spacers for the old chevy 10/12 bolt rear ends. If the Richmond ring gear is indeed shorter than the LFX ring gear, for whatever reason, I would imagine a ring gear spacer may fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
The 3.55 wouldn't even have made a difference. I would of just have done the ss rear swap from the beginning.

Btw, damn a year old thread!
It's worth reviving if there is some difference between the LLT and LFX rear that doesn't allow THE ONLY aftermarket "performance" gear that was made for the a6 v6 rear end that will allow it to work for one, but not the other. I bought the 3.55 thinking it would work... If it won't, but yet it's advertised EVERYWHERE that it does... That's kind of a problem.
__________________

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 09-14-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
I am positive there is a carrier break and that they are two series. When they switch to the 2.92 on the A6 v6 they changed carriers as well. THis is from GM, and Richmond(Richmond just found this out yesterday. I am sure they are a decent product for 2010-2011, but why would you change from a 3.27 to a 3.55? Anyway the guy at Richmond hung up on me when I asked about being reimbursed for labor...called back voicemail...I'll pick ths up again monday...

ON A GOOD NOTE!!!!!! EVERTHING ORDERED FOR THE SS LSD REAR SWAP
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
The richmond 3.55 ring and pinion did not fit my LFX rear!!!! Ring gear is 1/4 inch thinner than stock and they don't make a shim kit to correct this.. I have a feeling it is a different series carrier. Jegs is taking everything back. Richmond called today but I was busy and missed the call. I should know something tomorrow. I went ahead and bit the bullet on the ss rear stuff for the swap. Meanwhile my wallet is 500 dollars lighter for getting my old gears put back in. Not happy with having to pay for the installation of a defective product. I bet they probably did not even look at a lfx differential before slapping a 2010 and up label on it. I feel I should get my money back for tthe mechanics bill..
2.92 TO A 3.55 will make a small difference. 2012 a6 have 2.92 to help get 30mpg rating
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
That's very interesting... I wasn't aware of this as I had also purchased a set of Richmond 3.55 (which I currently have listed in the classifieds as I am changing directions, and bought them prematurely)... I am not aware of any difference in the GM 7.6" IRS rear end from 10-11 to 12-14. I purchased a 2011 3.27 rear from an LLT car to swap into my car (w/ the 3.55's), but now... wtf?

I'll report back on what I find once I jerk the stock 2ls rear out. Would be a shame if the 3.27 geared 2011 LLT rear end didn't fit for some reason.

Perhaps I will pull the cover off the back of the LLT rear and hold the 3.5 ring gear up to it for pictures. LFX rear comparison? That may have to wait a bit.

However, thinking back (not too far mind you)... You can/could purchase ring gear spacers for the old chevy 10/12 bolt rear ends. If the Richmond ring gear is indeed shorter than the LFX ring gear, for whatever reason, I would imagine a ring gear spacer may fix the problem.



It's worth reviving if there is some difference between the LLT and LFX rear that doesn't allow THE ONLY aftermarket "performance" gear that was made for the a6 v6 rear end that will allow it to work for one, but not the other. I bought the 3.55 thinking it would work... If it won't, but yet it's advertised EVERYWHERE that it does... That's kind of a problem.
Ring gear is 1/4 inch thinner than stock gear, Richmond does not have a solution...yet to this problem, because they only found out about it thursday....Not happy with Richmond.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
Ring gear is 1/4 inch thinner than stock gear, Richmond does not have a solution...yet to this problem, because they only found out about it thursday....Not happy with Richmond.
Works on the 3.27 carrier only. so 10-11's should be fine....
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
That's very interesting... I wasn't aware of this as I had also purchased a set of Richmond 3.55 (which I currently have listed in the classifieds as I am changing directions, and bought them prematurely)... I am not aware of any difference in the GM 7.6" IRS rear end from 10-11 to 12-14. I purchased a 2011 3.27 rear from an LLT car to swap into my car (w/ the 3.55's), but now... wtf?

I'll report back on what I find once I jerk the stock 2ls rear out. Would be a shame if the 3.27 geared 2011 LLT rear end didn't fit for some reason.

Perhaps I will pull the cover off the back of the LLT rear and hold the 3.5 ring gear up to it for pictures. LFX rear comparison? That may have to wait a bit.

However, thinking back (not too far mind you)... You can/could purchase ring gear spacers for the old chevy 10/12 bolt rear ends. If the Richmond ring gear is indeed shorter than the LFX ring gear, for whatever reason, I would imagine a ring gear spacer may fix the problem.



It's worth reviving if there is some difference between the LLT and LFX rear that doesn't allow THE ONLY aftermarket "performance" gear that was made for the a6 v6 rear end that will allow it to work for one, but not the other. I bought the 3.55 thinking it would work... If it won't, but yet it's advertised EVERYWHERE that it does... That's kind of a problem.
I am pretty angry about this because of all the advertising says it will work...Even richmonds site says 2010-up...Obviously they did not do the r and d on the 2012 lfx model and I am out 500 dollars to have my old gears taken out and put right back in for no reason..

These gears should work on 10-11's 12's went to a 2.92 for a better mpg rating. SS REAR PARTS ON THE WAY. I wanted to change that wimpy open diff anyway.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
i think jegs changed their description of these gears......


2010 Camaro V6 Gears
Ratio: 3.55
Teeth: 39-11
GM 7.6" IRS
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

 
Jason@JacFab's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Point, OR
Posts: 3,451
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
2 series carrier vs 3 series carrier... Makes sense. Wonder if thats actually the case?
__________________

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
darcycook
 
Drives: 2013 v6 auto 1LT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30
3.55 gears

so the 3.55 gears will work on 2012-13 LFX LT with 3.27 carrier right?
darcycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
2012-13 automatics have a 7.6IRS rear differential with a 2.92 gear ratio. All 2012 and 2013 automatics have the 2 series carrier that does not work with the richmond ring and pinion set. I was informed of a 2 and a 3 series carrier that fits the 7.6 IRS. So if you are referring to the 3 series carrier for the 7.6 IRS I would say yes. If you are referring to the 2012-2013 model manual transmission then NO, it has a totally different rear end.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
2 series carrier vs 3 series carrier... Makes sense. Wonder if thats actually the case?
That's what I was told. Not sure what models GM uses the 3 series on, but def. not 2012-2013 V6 A6 Camaro.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
Richmond is sending me a new gear set and the right carrier, but I have already changed the rear to the ss LSD with 3.45's. Might have some parts to sell....I requested the lsd carrier we will see what the do
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #22
darcycook
 
Drives: 2013 v6 auto 1LT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30
2ls 1lt 2lt

ok the 2012-13 2ls is a auto tran. with 2.92 the 2012-13 1lt auto tran is 3.27 right
darcycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #23
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcycook View Post
ok the 2012-13 2ls is a auto tran. with 2.92 the 2012-13 1lt auto tran is 3.27 right
You are correct. The 2LS is the only 5th Gen that comes with 2.92's. All other V6's are 3.27, whether they're autos or manuals.
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- RX Catch Can
Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
The richmond 3.55 ring and pinion did not fit my LFX rear!!!! I bet they probably did not even look at a lfx differential before slapping a 2010 and up label on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
I am positive there is a carrier break and that they are two series. When they switch to the 2.92 on the A6 v6 they changed carriers as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
2012 a6 have 2.92 to help get 30mpg rating
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
Obviously they did not do the r and d on the 2012 lfx model and I am out 500 dollars to have my old gears taken out and put right back in for no reason..

These gears should work on 10-11's 12's went to a 2.92 for a better mpg rating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
2012-13 automatics have a 7.6IRS rear differential with a 2.92 gear ratio. All 2012 and 2013 automatics have the 2 series carrier that does not work with the richmond ring and pinion set.
I think some clarification is in order here.

I don't know anything about carriers, but the 2.92 gears are NOT in EVERY 2012+ V6 automatic. They are only in the 2LS.

2.92 gearing has nothing to do with the car having an LFX motor or being a 2012 or newer model year. It has to do with it being a 2LS, which is a trim level that was introduced late in the 2011 model year run.

Again, I don't know if the carrier issue is 2LS specific, or if they changed the carrier on all 2012 and newer automatics, but the 2.92 gearing is specific to the 2LS, which has been available since the 2011 model year, when the car still had the LLT engine.

If it can be determined that the 2LS has a change to its carrier that affects the compatibility with aftermarket gears, that's something I'd like to add to the 2LS sticky: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307690
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- RX Catch Can
Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
BlackoutLFX
 
BlackoutLFX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
I think some clarification is in order here.

I don't know anything about carriers, but the 2.92 gears are NOT in EVERY 2012+ V6 automatic. They are only in the 2LS.

2.92 gearing has nothing to do with the car having an LFX motor or being a 2012 or newer model year. It has to do with it being a 2LS, which is a trim level that was introduced late in the 2011 model year run.

Again, I don't know if the carrier issue is 2LS specific, or if they changed the carrier on all 2012 and newer automatics, but the 2.92 gearing is specific to the 2LS, which has been available since the 2011 model year, when the car still had the LLT engine.

If it can be determined that the 2LS has a change to its carrier that affects the compatibility with aftermarket gears, that's something I'd like to add to the 2LS sticky: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307690
Bottom line the richmond 3.55 ring and pinion set for 7.6IRS open 2.92 rear differential does not work. So whatever model has that 7.6irs open 2.92 rear differential in it the gears will not work.

Sporting a SS rear now so its all good.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.