Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro5 Fest Discussions > 2012 Camaro5 Fest (III)

Old 08-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #51
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Good thing I bought the detailer or it would have been "I went to Camarofest, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"
Ok, now that shit was funny right there.

Thing about the fest is that it's just as much getting to hang with fellow members as anything else. Including the racing. We need the vendors to 'pay the bills' so to speak. Get the track and such. Heck, I for one hope it never really becomes any more commercial than it absolutely has to be.

As for seeing the cars. It's free to just go to the host hotel and walk around the lot. It's like a super big car show out there.

I do see your point. And it's kinda funny. I ended up with T-Shirts and an Adams porter cable disk.

I planned to do one of those billet door handles but 300.00 was WAY to high right now.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #52
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Ok, now that shit was funny right there.

Thing about the fest is that it's just as much getting to hang with fellow members as anything else. Including the racing. We need the vendors to 'pay the bills' so to speak. Get the track and such. Heck, I for one hope it never really becomes any more commercial than it absolutely has to be.

As for seeing the cars. It's free to just go to the host hotel and walk around the lot. It's like a super big car show out there.

I do see your point. And it's kinda funny. I ended up with T-Shirts and an Adams porter cable disk.

I planned to do one of those billet door handles but 300.00 was WAY to high right now.
Hotel parking lot party is 51% of the whole deal.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #53
Zeus95

Drives: IOM 2010 - 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deere Boy View Post
I was pretty impressed by the vendor turnout...and Chevrolet's display was fantastic!
+ 1 Great Time !! Tons of Camaro's !! Vendors were all Great !!
2010 2SS/RS IOM Upgrades: Fastlane CAI / SLP II Loudmouth axle back / V Max Ported TB / Kook's Step Long Tube Headers / High flow cats / Straightline Tune / BMR front & rear sway bars / Hotchkin End Links / Hurst Short Throw. LG ZR28 Wheels 1 of 2 sets made. Pfadt trailing arms / Diff Bushings & Sub Frame bushings / 1LE Axle & Hubs.
Zeus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #54
Hwystr
GM Millwright

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6, Lingenfelter
To be honest, if the fest wasn't so close I probably wouldn't have attended. That being said I think the vendors did a great job, Pfadt, Lingenfelter, Roto-Fab, Apex just to name a few. I talked for a bit with the Pfadt guys and even though I have their stuff on my car already, I wouldn't hesitate to give them repeat business (through Apex of course). I did wish they had some of the supercharger manufactures there like KB and Whipple, but overall I had a good time.
LPE dual fuel pump
ARH Long tubes/Flowmaster AT
LPE Max-CX ZR1 dual disk clutch
LPE 1400hp shafts/LPE 3.91 gears
MGW short throw/ retro handle
Pfadt stage 4 w/ racing sways
BMR subframe connect w/ tunnel brace
DBA 5000/ 4000 w/ Hawk PC's
Forgeline DE3S matte black
Nitto Invo 315-275
Hwystr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #55
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Indy was my 2nd Fest, I also attended the first in Valdosta GA. in 2010. Didn't attend Phoenix as it was further than I was willing to travel. I have no empirical data to back this up but I honestly feel there were more cars, people, foot traffic in vendor area and more track time in Valdosta than Indy. The hotel parking lots in Valdosta seemed to have more "action" going on in the evening than Indy. I stayed at the host hotel for both events so I was in the middle of it all. The current format of basically a C5 member event appears to have matured quickly. Local advertisement, inviting dealerships and local car clubs within X miles radius of the event, radio and maybe even local TV advertisement most likely would have brought in more folks which I'm sure the vendors would have liked. Unless you were a C5 member, you really had no way of knowing about the event. Not everyone driving a 5th gen is a C5 member so we lost out on their participation. As important the location for the 4th event is, looking at the direction the event should take needs be looked at also. From the vendor and coordinators standpoint the event has to be run as a business with a reasonable expectation for at least a break even for the vendors otherwise I fear they may have to rethink their participation or at least level of participation in the future. I enjoyed both Fest's I attended but felt Indy left a lot on the table. Just my opinion.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, Hawk HPS Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredstein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, GM SS Fender & LS3 Emblems.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #56
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '13 Jeep Wrangler 4WD
i gotta say...driving 14 hours to and 14 hours from Indiana...the part that made the trip worth it...was meeting the people who made our cars possible...what an incredibly humble bunch of people with 6 figure paychecks....u wouldnt know it by the conversations....if i would change anything...it would be the autocross....that needs to be put on by the local SCCA where its being held...i only go to SCCA autocross here back home...and its tremendously more organized and runs much smoother...not to mention its cheaper :-P

the vendors were very nice...i really wish Phastek was there though since they carry pretty much every part imaginable for our cars....surprised GM Performance didnt have a booth too....i think Oracle was the place to be...they must have made a killing....too bad they didnt have their firewall length LED strip or they woulda got more green from my pocket lol

The Few, The Proud, The Aqua Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #57
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
This was my 1st fest but sure won't be my last.

I did not go just to browse the vendors or to buy things, I went to enjoy the entire experiance, from the hotel parking lot(s), to all the wonderrful cars at the raceway (especially the AWD Camaro and GM cars), the drag racing (didn't have a chance to watch the autocross), etc, etc, etc.

One big attraction I thought was that some of the vendors were not just selling their products, but they were also offering to install them for you sometimes at no cost.

I wouldn't care if they charged for the installation. The conveniance of being able to buy the product and having it installed right then and there was wonderful.

We had one club member that grenaded her rear end (the cars) Thursday, and people and vendors (THANK YOU RPM) stepped right up to help out and ended up installing a used rear end in her car so she would be able to drive home. When I asked how much we owed them for all the help, all they asked for was a very minimum amount to cover their time, they were just helping out another racer.

Perhaps the Fest wasn't what everyone was hoping for, and that'll happen no matter what.

I'm here to tell you that it was awesome for me, and I can't wait for next year.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #58
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post
A question for those who've been to all of them: Is the fest getting larger, smaller, or about the same?
Fest I was a surprise hit. we really had no idea how good it was going to be until they had a hundreds of camaros trying to get in...

But based on the numbers I've been given by the guys, it looks like the attendance was about the same for Fest II and III. Which is more than twice as many as Fest I.

So we may be able to reliably predict about 1000 cars and 1500 or so people when you include vendors and attendees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
My thought is Camaro5fest is not bloomington gold, or anything like that. It is essentially a forum meet and greet with some track stuff added. For what it is, it is huge. Not many forums can get over 1000 people attend an event.

Lastly, the thread below shows why from a performance parts perspective, you will not see a lot on display. I know over half the vendor midway was companies who sold or manufactured exhaust or intakes. Places with trailors full of the stuff. Yet the thread shows that people were more interested in lighting, appearance stuff, and shirts than performance. Now the hope is people call you and buy after the show..but that is difficult to quantify. If you start to see a change more towards less vendors showing up, or when they do show up, bringing less stuff, this is why.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241807
to echo what maryland speed is saying.

The track rental is a part of the fest and it is meant to be informal. give people a chance to race show and talk to the guys on the leading edge of camaro products.

We want to give the attendees the opportunity to do as many of these things as possible in one location.

We don't expect to ever be as big as Camaro's at Carlisle or the camaro nationals or Super Chevy.

We are a forum show that really is an opportunity for our members to meet once a year and have some fun.

We try and keep the cost down in order to encourage as many vendors as possible to attend for the reasons they all mention. I'd guess that even as much business as AAC did, they may have broke even considering the travel expenses for all their people...

The idea is to have a social gathering as much as an opportunity to race and see some of the baddest camaro's on the planet put on a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
As another vendor in attendance I completely agree with Maryland Speed's comments above. There are many variables and logistical considerations besides just bringing a lot of staff and inventory and making a lot of money. Initially we did not plan on bringing inventory at all but in the last few days before we left we received so many phone calls and emails asking about specific items that we decided to bring what we could. We ended up having pretty strong sales (thanks in part to actually having inventory and the manufacturers in attendance sending customers to us for their purchases) but not enough that the profit covered all of our expenses. We never expected that because, like Maryland Speed mentioned, that isn't a completely realistic expectation and not really the reason you go to these things.

On Friday the traffic at our booth came in big waves starting about 30 minutes after the gates opened. We would be slammed for 10 or 20 minutes and then dead for 10 or 20. Went on all day like that. Saturday morning was DEAD. We figured that after the heat on Friday, the hard partying that night in the hotel parking lot, and the car show starting later in the day that a lot of folks were just taking their time getting out. That turned out to be pretty accurate from our perspective. About half way through the morning things picked up and we stayed covered up until the storms rolled in that afternoon. Sales were very strong on Saturday. We even had people buying things as we were trying to load them on the truck.

There are a few critiques I would offer to the organizers but nothing huge. We had fun, got to see a lot of our customers again and meet many of them for the first time, and got to spend some good face-to-face time with the manufacturers we represent. All in all we are pretty happy.
Chase, I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend. You were on my hit list of first time sponsors I wanted to meet.

I'd like to hear your ideas on how to improve the vendor experience. Thanks for commenting in this thread.

If people expect the fest to be run like a NASCAR event with information booths and Assistants standing around to help, we just can't do that.

We hope that the attendees will be patient as we do our best to coordinate all the moving parts. We expect to have some breakdowns and some frustrations. Please know that we are truly concerned with the experience for everyone in attendance. And we pour over the criticism to try and fix what we can. Hopefully we don't make the same mistake twice.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #59
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Fest I was a surprise hit. we really had no idea how good it was going to be until they had a hundreds of camaros trying to get in...

But based on the numbers I've been given by the guys, it looks like the attendance was about the same for Fest II and III. Which is more than twice as many as Fest I.

So we may be able to reliably predict about 1000 cars and 1500 or so people when you include vendors and attendees.
Interesting to me to hear that the numbers for Fest II and III were not significantly different, since having the Fest in the MidWest where so many more people reside was anticipated to be much bigger than the one in AZ.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #60
MarylandSpeed

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
One last bit...

In terms of the aftermarket..April is our busiest time of the year..so it is great to do a show like this then. Customers are looking for their mods in the spring, and are just getting their tax returns or whatever. Because of that, paying for the trip, and buying mods this time of year is easier.

When you move it to August, that creates several issues. August is the hottest time of the year in most areas. Valdosta was comfortable in April. It was unseasonably hot in Phoenix during April last year, but manageable because of the dry heat. In Indy, it seemed to be mid 90's with humidity neaer 100%...which is uncomfortable and kills these cars at the track. Also, most customers plan their normal vacations around this time already, and are also starting to save money for back to school stuff, or whatever. Aftermarket wise, sales tail off starting in August/September because people have less money for discretionary stuff.

Long and short, I would REALLY like to see it moved back to April.

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #61
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Interesting to me to hear that the numbers for Fest II and III were not significantly different, since having the Fest in the MidWest where so many more people reside was anticipated to be much bigger than the one in AZ.
This doesn't surprise me at all. By volume, TX and CA lead. Here is an incomplete distribution chart by state for 2011 top, 2010 bottom. In AZ, Fest II pulled a large contingency from both of those states. Moving it out to the mid-west likely left a lot of people from CA sitting at home this time around. US population distribution does not equal 5th Gen owners distribution....

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #62
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

rolnslo,it's more all the chatter from the east/midwest about how much larger the Camaro5Fest would be out there versus the West or Texas, so to hear that it was similar attendance closer to a greater population density of many states, negates the argument that superior numbers would show there...And yes they lost the majority of California Camaros, everyone went to local events instead...middle of the country sounds like the best choice, so Texas next year?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #63
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
...middle of the country sounds like the best choice, so Texas next year?

I can only hope.

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #64
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Time to pick a spot and leave it.

Most of the problems will be negated if we do. We'll know where to go for info. We'll know in advance how it's set up.

We'll ALL be familiar with it.

We can all be on the same sheet of music.

Surely there is a good location.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #65
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
I was thinking pick two spots and rotate them..... One spot would be a lot easier though.
ShnOmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #66
nmcajeff

Drives: 07 Trailblazer SS
Just a little input from a person that has been in event promotions for a long time. The vendor participation for this event was AWESOME bigger than most NHRA National events even the one held here and it's the biggest in the world. The only events that would have more are the events at Carlile PA. or the NMCA/NMRA Super Bowl event in Joliet IL every year. Trust me you guys were blessed with a great vendor midway.
nmcajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #67
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:

Most of the problems will be negated if we do. We'll know where to go for info. We'll know in advance how it's set up.

I heard from someone that was autographing my car that he heard there are talks of having it in Indy again and maybe from now on....

Sent from my Galaxy Note
Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #68
DevilsReject97
Shadowboxin

Drives: 2011 1SS 6MT GHS
Quote:
rolnslo,it's more all the chatter from the east/midwest about how much larger the Camaro5Fest would be out there versus the West or Texas, so to hear that it was similar attendance closer to a greater population density of many states, negates the argument that superior numbers would show there...And yes they lost the majority of California Camaros, everyone went to local events instead...middle of the country sounds like the best choice, so Texas next year?
Not to be a dick, but when people bail because it's not in their backyard, it screws up everything else. I could understand if someone said Fest was going to be in Washington every year, but sweet hell man.....

Also, Fest this year was also later than the past 2, which I'm sure screwed with people's vacations, schools, etc.... Lastly, TX and CA are the two largest states by population anyhow....doesn't surprise me that there would be more cars there, but that doesn't mean you'll get more cars there....

Fest was in Indiana this year, and I can tell you for a fact that the state itself represented close to about 60 or so cars...most from the Central Indiana Camaro Club and Ind5thGen...

My .02 - Put it in the Kansas area, which was nominated for the 3rd Fest, has a great track, and it's centrally located in the middle of the US....

DevilsReject97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #69
chriSStine

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedes View Post
Question: Why not attempt to turn this into something bigger like Bloomington. It's great to see all of the cars and vendors from this site but WHAT IF it turned into a multiple forum festival? Heck, why not multi-generation camaro meeting. Can you imagine the action at the dragstrip and autocross track then? Hey, get the SPEED channel to help sponser it and film PINKS there on the final day. (stop me if I'm getting carried away).

You are getting carried away, unless you plan to actively participate in making it happen.
chriSStine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #70
DevilsReject97
Shadowboxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcajeff View Post
Just a little input from a person that has been in event promotions for a long time. The vendor participation for this event was AWESOME bigger than most NHRA National events even the one held here and it's the biggest in the world. The only events that would have more are the events at Carlile PA. or the NMCA/NMRA Super Bowl event in Joliet IL every year. Trust me you guys were blessed with a great vendor midway.
Vendor turn out was better for Fest than last year's NMCA LSX Shoot Out, which was a great event too!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #71
MarylandSpeed

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

I agree. I always thought it was hard on the staff starting from scratch every year.

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #72
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Not to be a dick, but when people bail because it's not in their backyard, it screws up everything else. I could understand if someone said Fest was going to be in Washington every year, but sweet hell man.....

So says the guy with it in his backyard? Where you in AZ for the Fest? Distance is an issue for most....
Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #73
DevilsReject97
Shadowboxin

Quote:
So says the guy with it in his backyard? Where you in AZ for the Fest? Distance is an issue for most....
No, I was not in AZ for Fest II, but that's only because I got my car literally before Fest II and didn't know about it until it was too late.

My point was exactly what you said, distance is an issue for most anyways. The fact that some people would show up in mass because it's in PHX and then complain because it's 1500 miles instead of 500 miles... it's like give me a break.

I've done 500+ mile trips for low rider shows, bike rallys, and various other shows. Half a dozen of our club drove from Indy to to Camaro Rally in Sturgis in June. The point of these things is to meet good friends and have a good time on a long road trip, not the drag racing or autoX..

Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #74
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
No, I was not in AZ for Fest II, but that's only because I got my car literally before Fest II and didn't know about it until it was too late.

My point was exactly what you said, distance is an issue for most anyways. The fact that some people would show up in mass because it's in PHX and then complain because it's 1500 miles instead of 500 miles... it's like give me a break.

I've done 500+ mile trips for low rider shows, bike rallys, and various other shows. Half a dozen of our club drove from Indy to to Camaro Rally in Sturgis in June. The point of these things is to meet good friends and have a good time on a long road trip, not the drag racing or autoX..
You're talking at some one who does the Hot Rod Power Tour for the last 3 years driving roughly 6,000 miles in 17 days each time...I'm only pointing out that by all the discussion on the fourm that there would be lots more people if they held it further north and east than out west, those predictions did not reflect reality based on the posts. I think anywhere they hold it will be about the same amount of people there...I'm voting for Texas next year, hopefully at a cooler time of year...
Old 08-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #75
DevilsReject97
Shadowboxin

Quote:
You're talking at some one who does the Hot Rod Power Tour for the last 3 years driving roughly 6,000 miles in 17 days each time...I'm only pointing out that by all the discussion on the fourm that there would be lots more people if they held it further north and east than out west, those predictions did not reflect reality based on the posts. I think anywhere they hold it will be about the same amount of people there...I'm voting for Texas next year, hopefully at a cooler time of year...
That's cool man, nothing I said was meant personally or towards you directly. I just get so tired of hearing people complain about things like this. I agree that no matter where you hold it, you'll have people who won't show because of the distance or the location. I also do believe that the time of year played a big factor too.

Granted, an annual central location to the masses would be a better solution for all...