Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #26
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 2,675
You'd never notice a 5mm difference in front vs rear offsets without measuring equipment or strings unless you knew precisely what to look for and exactly the viewpoint required.

It appears that with a 1" difference in front vs rear wheel widths - starting at the SS level - they're holding the front and rear track widths equal at 63.7".

In the LS/LT, they're calling out only one wheel offset and letting the rear track "float" just a little (up to 64.1"). If appearance entered into the decision process for utilizing different wheel offsets at all, it would most likely have been here.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Does anyone know why? Does a staggered offset have any advantages or is it just for looks?
In this case mostly looks. However wider rear tires do add traction.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #28
DanSS24

 
DanSS24's Avatar
 
Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 808
Posts: 896
hey...did anyone notice the emblem on the trunk of the white 1LE? It did not look like the SS emblem.



I tried to blow it up but it pixilated

__________________
I'd rather chase speeders and bad guys with a Z/28 than my R/T Charger
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
In this case mostly looks. However wider rear tires do add traction.
I hope not. The staggered setup is a PITA on multiple levels. If the only thing that it gave me was looks I would be furious.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #30
5thGenCamaroKid
No fat chix, car scrapes.
 
Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
hey...did anyone notice the emblem on the trunk of the white 1LE? It did not look like the SS emblem.



I tried to blow it up but it pixilated

It is the SS emblem. See here - photo 4, expanded view. I can't download the high resolution file, or I'd post it here sharpened and cropped.
5thGenCamaroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #31
DanSS24

 
DanSS24's Avatar
 
Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 808
Posts: 896
yeah...you're correct...shadow played tricks when trying to enlarge photo
__________________
I'd rather chase speeders and bad guys with a Z/28 than my R/T Charger
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #32
L99CAMA2011


 
L99CAMA2011's Avatar
 
Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Masachusetts
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
This guy has it correct. You can look at the brochure for confirmation if you need it.
They already have a brochure for 1LE.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #33
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
They already have a brochure for 1LE.
At dealerships? I didn't see one there about 3 weeks ago.
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #34
L99CAMA2011


 
L99CAMA2011's Avatar
 
Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Masachusetts
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Does anyone know why? Does a staggered offset have any advantages or is it just for looks?
Helps prevent oversteer during harsh cornering, a car with squared setup is more likely to oversteer more dangerous.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #35
1LEE
 
1LEE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
At dealerships? I didn't see one there about 3 weeks ago.
I think he means the 2013 Camaro brochure with the 1LE in it.

I picked one up a month ago, just to have it
__________________
1LEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #36
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Helps prevent oversteer during harsh cornering, a car with squared setup is more likely to oversteer more dangerous.
True, however you usually see oversteer issues in rear (Porsche) and mid engine (Lamborghini) configurations as it's not much of a problem with front engine vehicles. The Camaro responds best to a well set up square configuration. A staggered set up can be used however there will need to be changes in spring, shock and swaybar configuration.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 2,675
At some power to weight (torque x gearing to weight?) point, having a little tire or wheel stagger is probably good "insurance" for all those drivers who have never autocrossed and had to learn throttle modulation. Ditto if the suspension tuning is otherwise inherently more neutral than average.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 4,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEE View Post
I think he means the 2013 Camaro brochure with the 1LE in it.

I picked one up a month ago, just to have it
Yep. For those that haven't seen it. Very informative, performance numbers included. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237050
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #39
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
At some power to weight (torque x gearing to weight?) point, having a little tire or wheel stagger is probably good "insurance" for all those drivers who have never autocrossed and had to learn throttle modulation. Ditto if the suspension tuning is otherwise inherently more neutral than average.


Norm

Cheaper to make a rear sway bar change.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #40
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 3,108
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
"The car does have more understeer than the ZL1, especially in the faster turns, and I wish the brakes were updated and not just painted. They just don't live up to the incredible handling available, but it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. The gearbox ratios are tuned for the racetrack and the throw is short and tight. For the price, its performance is not that far from that of its big brother."
Other reports say with better fluids the brakes are very good and also say understeer is gone. Not sure if I believe no understeer. Further in depth reviews should help clear this up.
__________________
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #41
68vert
 
68vert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 734
What would the effect be by switching to the ZL1 size 305 on the rear of the 1LE?
__________________
2010 SIM SS/RS see garage for mods
68vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #42
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,296
Understeer.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #43
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
What would the effect be by switching to the ZL1 size 305 on the rear of the 1LE?
Quite sure they wont fit. The 285s are already "stretched" on as GM and Al Oppenheimer have stated.
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #44
Mgizzle
 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 602
Why would they not fit? Same body and rim as zl1. You can use 305s. GM didnt do it because of balance and wanting to cure understeer. Zl1 has more mass and all that torque needs a wider tire.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #45
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Quite sure they wont fit. The 285s are already "stretched" on as GM and Al Oppenheimer have stated.
That's because instead of putting a 20 x 10" rear which would be proper fit for the 285's they still used teh 20 x 11" rear so they had to "stretch" the tires.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #46
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
That's because instead of putting a 20 x 10" rear which would be proper fit for the 285's they still used teh 20 x 11" rear so they had to "stretch" the tires.
Exactly...that's why I was saying above that the 305's someone mentioned would not fit due to that.
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #47
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,296
The 305's will fit the back 20X11 rims, just as they do on the ZL1. They will add understeer to the 1LE. GM went square on the 1LE for a more neutral handling car.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #48
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Exactly...that's why I was saying above that the 305's someone mentioned would not fit due to that.
305's are a wider tire. The reason the 285 is stretched because they are fitting it over an 11" rim in the rear instead of the 10" in the front. Thus there would be no problem fitting a 305 on the 11" rim. I'm sure you can go as high as a 315. but that would only be for show. Anything above the 285 would induce understeer at a road course track.
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #49
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
305's are a wider tire. The reason the 285 is stretched because they are fitting it over an 11" rim in the rear instead of the 10" in the front. Thus there would be no problem fitting a 305 on the 11" rim. I'm sure you can go as high as a 315. but that would only be for show. Anything above the 285 would induce understeer at a road course track.
HOLY F*DGE. Total brain fart. My brain keeps thinking about the smaller fronts as maxed out on the wheels or something but I KNOW anything over 285 is bigger. LOL Not sure where my head was there for a minute. Ha I had to re read my last couple posts to try and figure out what the hell I was thinking and why the hell I would have said that. Maybe I was somehow thinking of a bigger WHEEL and not the tire?
I've settled on the conclusion that I'm RETARDED. ha Back to reality
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #50
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
HOLY F*DGE. Total brain fart. My brain keeps thinking about the smaller fronts as maxed out on the wheels or something but I KNOW anything over 285 is bigger. LOL Not sure where my head was there for a minute. Ha I had to re read my last couple posts to try and figure out what the hell I was thinking and why the hell I would have said that. Maybe I was somehow thinking of a bigger WHEEL and not the tire?
I've settled on the conclusion that I'm RETARDED. ha Back to reality
No worries there soldier, we all experience brain farts. That's what we're here for, there's going to be somebody who's going to straighten us out when we have our momentary lapses of reasoning. Carry on!
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.