Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro5 Fest Discussions > 2012 Camaro5 Fest (III)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #51
RaayRaay

 
RaayRaay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT CGM
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010CamaroRS View Post
i blame truck drivers....simple as that...they dont know when to move over out that way....or in Ohio...or in PA...or in NY or in CT...my entire trip to and from was just battling truck drivers....pricks lol
I completely agree... they think they own the road
RaayRaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #52
SilverIceman

 
SilverIceman's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS SIM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 939
And you know those same "born again" truckers that wouldn't get over for you are the ones that most likely radioed the Indiana police. I have never enjoyed traveling on I-70 because of the trucks. Just look how bad the pavements were, trucks do most of the damage.
__________________
Built and tuned by Cincy Speed

SilverIceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #53
pikSkip
 
pikSkip's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 VET, '70 Z28
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS3rd View Post
I was pull over with 3 other Camaro's by ISP on the Dayton to Indy caravan and the LEO said to me that many complaints on the group of cars. I was told that I was over the posted speed of 55, but I seen LEO way before he Blue lighted the Camaro behind me. Other public vehicles were moving at the same flow of traffic, but only Camaro's were target. I'm not upset with the LEO he was doing his job, I'm upset with the process that ONLY one Make/Model was pulled over and not other public vehicles traveling at the same rate of speed.
With all due respect, if that was not 'show force', I'd like the procedure clarified!
pikSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #54
SilverIceman

 
SilverIceman's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS SIM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 939
They had a whole bunch of speed traps set up on 70 through Indianapolis on Sunday as I drove home. (both directions)
__________________
Built and tuned by Cincy Speed

SilverIceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #55
edog


 
edog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: F'BURG VA
Posts: 3,478
Send a message via MSN to edog
Did anyone actually get charged with speeding? I talked to two others that were minor like improper lane changes. To me that is show of force. They should have pulled over the lead vehicle. I would have stopped! I waived at the lady officer, but she would not even look at me. All I could say was "well I never" Rude!
__________________
Doug Thorley Tri-Y LT/HF cat back Xpipe, Ported TB, 160 therm, Tranny cooler, Halltech CAI, Pedders sways, endlinks, Drop Springs, 3.45 rear gears. Tuned by East Coast Supercharging. 371HP/383TQ
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #56
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverIceman View Post
And you know those same "born again" truckers that wouldn't get over for you are the ones that most likely radioed the Indiana police. I have never enjoyed traveling on I-70 because of the trucks. Just look how bad the pavements were, trucks do most of the damage.
I don't disagree, but they will tell you, and correctly so, that they pay HUGE taxes to drive on those roads. That road is in serious need of a widening project.

Rt. 71 between Cleveland and Columbus used to be the same way and the traffic conditions were vastly improved when they widened it.
__________________
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #57
dorfmac
SB XLVII CHAMPS
 
dorfmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaayRaay View Post
Well for the blue car that started the crash to end up underneath the TRANS4MR, he wasn't paying much attention thats for sure, especially when everyone else managed to stop.
Maybe something in the water up there in canada gives you the power of foresight, but when the car in front of you never puts on its break lights and just swerves into the other lane at the last second leaving a car at a dead stop In front of you while traveling at highway speeds it makes it kind of tough...

As many others have said, if you were on the cruise, you know how close the calls were.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #58
markssylver
 
markssylver's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: md
Posts: 332
There was a lot of close calls especially in the construction zone with no shoulder an the traffic going from 70 to 0 in the blink of an eye I almost tapped the person in front of me as to passing on the right and getting back in I did it to get from behind people, that seemed to keep p hitting the brake for no reason why ride behind someone who keeps hitting the brakes if there is a free and clear lane beside you you might have seen me as most people called me by my tag HVYHTTR
__________________
10.56@134mph
ADM BUILT AND TUNED CGM 2SS RS
ADM/LPE 417 with ported heads/inconel vavles gt11 cam
ADM ported maggie with 14 rib rear 10 rib front pulleys
ADM fuel system and race air intake
ADM/LPE ZR1 clutch /pedalreturn spring
ADM billet aluminum valve covers /RPM LEVEL 6 TR6060
LPE HD 241mm diff with 3:45 gears HD axles and d/s
ADM widened wheels with 315nitto nt05s Bogart 17 dragwheels CTS-V front 6 piston brakes
Pedders HD subframe/differential bushings alignment kit 27/32mm sways Supercar coilovers
683RWHP/650RWTQ
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #59
MS3DALE

 
MS3DALE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carmichaels,Pa.
Posts: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Those hazard lights though...wow. Coming from an ex-leo... that was ABSOLUTELY unacceptable. The danger we brought to the high way was outrageous. I witness 3 very near misses including one of my own.

Then when regular motorist got behind some Camaros with the hazards on...that was even worse. I saw many many close calls.

I think this was just a mistake on someones part. They just didn't think of what could happen. I understand. It was probably the IPD.

Agreed,Hazard lights should NOT be used for traveling at highway speeds as everyone was doing during the cruise,they should only be used if your stopped along the road,or traveling at a slow rate of speed on the highway (IE-moving at 30 mph on a highway with a speed limit of 55-60 mph)
__________________

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'07 SILVERADO Z71 1500 Ext.Cab Z71 6.0 "VortecMAX"-GMPP CAI-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #60
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 25,905
Looks like we have two "cruises" we're talking about here.

Can't comment on the mid atl cruise, but I will more than comment on the fest cruise.

Yes...Mike, Joe, and I did talk. Never again. Not on an expressway. Not like that. Our TX crew really knows how to drive (not in any way, shape, or form poking any fingers at anyone else...promise). But seriously, our Texas crew really knows how to drive. We NEVER have close calls. Why? We ALL travel with walkie talkies. We give distance to the guys in front of us. If someone cuts us off, it affects ONE of us....because the others have enough distance behind them that they don't necessarily have to hit the brakes. They just let off the accelerator. Is this type of driving really that difficult to do? Of course not!

This is why I wasn't worried with the fest cruise. "If people use common sense, we'll be okay." Well, .... ....yeah, moving on. Apparently, some folks think they have to ride the guys bumper in front of them.


Valdosta, GA was ALL back roads. SINGLE LANES IS THE KEY. With single lanes, no one can pass....no one can cut in.....it's just you and teh guy in front of you you have to worry about. As long as that guy pays attention to the same rule you do, you'll all be fine. Should we ever do this again, it's going to be like Valdosta....all back roads again.





Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
well i wasnt mch for all the cruise but i liked the beginning and end.
now forthe group rolling in wednesday...
i caught the tx crew in KY and rolled in with them. we made good time averaging pretty good speed...no probs there...it was fun. lol...in a dream i may have saw triple digits playing catch up in traffic a couple times. lol. i thought i was bad then i saw tagurit do a fly by on the tower in the right lane. LMAO. (i was in the white vortec car out of AR)
Notice the bolded red....

And I don't know if I should comment on the last part....

Were you that white blur?


Quote:
Originally Posted by aSSian View Post
Well to be fair, the first 3 cars were stopped with no collision. It was the 4th car that caused the others to get pushed forward.
ah....so this was in the mid atl crash. Dang, man...sorry to hear about that. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Doug, Joe and I talked about the issues that arose... I too felt like I had a death grip on my steering wheel and a dent in my floorboard under my break pedal. I was at the front and we never went faster than 45 MPH but there was a lot of quick slow downs. We all agreeded and we will never do a cruise on the freeway.

On a positive note, the officers informed us that the cruise was over five miles long...
Never again.... I was going NUTS in that cruise. Dana and I didn't talk either. I was WAY too focused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Alright mods, new cruise plan for Camaro5 Fest 4; Line everyone up and just do circles around the hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
I just want to make you aware of two things.

One, it was IPD's idea to turn on the flashers for the cruise.

Two, It was Chevy's mistake for not making the brake lights functional while the flashers are on. There are two lights on each side, one could flash and one could be a brake light. Just an option for the future.

I feel bad because I was one of the ones getting everyone out of the parking lot and asking everyone to turn their flasher and lights on. I was out of breathe and my arms were sore by the end but it was fun watching everyone go by. Had I known the chaos asking folks to turn their flashers on would cause, I would not have done it in hind sight.

However it was hysterical watching a lot of people look to the left to try to turn the flashers on.

T.
FLASHERS. Had it come to mind, I would have told them no. I was yelling for flashers too (since they told me to have everyone put them on along with their lights). Once I figured out the brake light thing, I knew it was too late. Never again... I was literally praying in the drivers seat of my car to let everything run as smoothly as it could. Nope...never again with those darn flashers (and why did GM wire up their brake lights like this in the first place??? That's NUTS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Indy Pace View Post
Being a local - we do a few police escorted caravans to the track each year around the races. Even with 50 cars or less it is quite dangerous on 465 with all the merging traffic and people crossing 5 lanes of traffic .

Once I got to the host hotel and saw all the cars I decided to pass on the cruise. In fact several locals bailed out early on and came back to the hotel after "near death" experiences. We even have police officers in our group that did not feel safe, if that tells you anything! For the record I did post beforehand that I felt cruising 465 would be challenging at best. Flashers on was just beyond stupid.. For the volume of cars there were nowhere near enough IMPD escorts.

And for anybody wondering, IMPD does not do these escorts for free - so props to whoever picked up the cost to pay them
Totally agree. Not enough officers. I'm an officer too and I just knew it could have been handled better.

But let's remember. Never again on the highway. Hey...we learn, right?

And you are correct, they don't do these cruises for free. Just so everyone knows, we paid these guys TWO GRAND to do this. I would MUCH rather put that money towards something else next year....a BBQ pit for the host hotel parking lot, beverages and coolers along with snacks at the autocross, cut down the participation fee for drivers...SOMETHING other than a towards a cruise that was truthfully scaring the crap out of me!

Guys, we live and we learn. The only other experience was a cruise through Valdosta which ran PERFECTLY. No accordion crap...no near death experiences, no rocks flying up on windshields, NO other traffic to merge in. This is the only way we'll do it again. Again, we learn.

for those that enjoyed it,

That's the whole point of the weekend.....FUN!
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #61
Jay_LHD3

 
Jay_LHD3's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SW Georgia
Posts: 1,931
^ I can't comment on this cruise as I wasn't there, but I can agree with Tag that the Valdosta cruise was a BLAST even on back roads. I was in the middle of the pack and the amount of people standing in their front yards waving and cheering was awesome. And the look on all the kids faces seeing a couple hundred new camaros going down the road was priceless!!

__________________
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #62
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 25,905
Exactly.

THIS is what we wanted....and quite frankly, I felt let down. This is the only way we'll ever do it again. I'm sorry guys. I feel like I let a lot of people down. :(
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #63
pikSkip
 
pikSkip's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 VET, '70 Z28
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 69
"Ticket Fees Without Deferral Amount Select
Subtotal of Fee(s) $152.00 :(
Pay now through IndyBiz* $157.08 Select
The pay now option includes the $152.00 that will be remitted to Traffic Court for payment of your ticket(s).

--OR--

Your violation qualifies for the deferral program*. By participating in the program, you will avoid a traffic conviction and any possible points against your license that may increase your insurance premiums. For questions about the traffic deferral program, please e-mail Shanessa Walker at Shanessa.Walker@indy.gov. If you do not have access to a computer, you may call 327-8500 for additional information.
Ticket Fees With Deferral Amount Select

Fee w/Deferral Amount $223.00
Pay now through IndyBiz* $229.50 Select
The pay now option includes the $223.00 that will be remitted to Traffic Court for payment of your ticket(s).

You can mail your ticket to the agency or deliver it in person to Traffic Court, 8115 E. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46219. Please keep in mind there will be an additional cost if you choose to pay your traffic ticket fee using methods other than cash or check over the counter or via mail."

Nice option* and cheaper than a lawyer, but makes me wonder if $$$ is doing some talking here.....

On the other hand, I thought the C5FIII was a great experience. I'll attend another one if I can.
__________________

2010 Black/Beige 2SS/RS A6 SRoof
(Cat-back SLP Loud Mouth II, CAI, Technostalgia Rapid Fire TL) CONO

Last edited by pikSkip; 08-07-2012 at 12:38 PM.
pikSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #64
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man
 
KnightRiderSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Exactly.

THIS is what we wanted....and quite frankly, I felt let down. This is the only way we'll ever do it again. I'm sorry guys. I feel like I let a lot of people down. :(
Don't feel bad...a lot of it had to do with those camaros who couldnt help but to drive like anal pores and weave in and out cutting around us then slamming on their brakes after cutting back in...that was the only close call i had...i gave myself plenty of stopping space from the car in front but kept getting waved on to move faster even though i was already going 10-15 over...flashers didnt help..just glad no one got hurt, especially the motorcycle police
__________________
KnightRiderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #65
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
GM Technician
 
Heaven_is_inferno_orange's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 SS/RS M6, 2002 TA M6, 85' El Cam
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Knox KY
Posts: 1,172
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Exactly.

THIS is what we wanted....and quite frankly, I felt let down. This is the only way we'll ever do it again. I'm sorry guys. I feel like I let a lot of people down. :(
Dont feel bad. You guys put in alot of work to do this for us. I for one enjoyed the cruise.
It was a live and learn experience for sure. What people need to understand is that you can't drive up someone's rear and expect to not have a close call. I drove with several car lengths between me and the car in front of me and never had an issue, I was also lucky enough to have the driver behind doing the same. If you are having to slam your brakes to stop you are driving too close. No reason to think just because youre in a cruise or caravan that you need to be right up there with the guy in front of you.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #66
HINEY1
TRANS4MR
 
HINEY1's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro's & Corvette's
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kingston Ontario Canada
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
Maybe something in the water up there in canada gives you the power of foresight, but when the car in front of you never puts on its break lights and just swerves into the other lane at the last second leaving a car at a dead stop In front of you while traveling at highway speeds it makes it kind of tough...

As many others have said, if you were on the cruise, you know how close the calls were.
I guess it's a question of observation, speed, distance and reaction
Observing what's happening in front of and around you
Speed usually is a factor
The distance between vehicles
Your reaction or ability to control the vehicle
It was obvious that everyone was pushing the limits on all these issues
It pisses me off because most of us don't drive like that but, we were caught up in the excitment
and no one wanted to lag behind (including me)
It really sucks this happened
__________________
HINEY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #67
MS3DALE

 
MS3DALE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carmichaels,Pa.
Posts: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Exactly.

THIS is what we wanted....and quite frankly, I felt let down. This is the only way we'll ever do it again. I'm sorry guys. I feel like I let a lot of people down. :(
No problem Doug.....you did NOTHING wrong,you were just trying to help with what everyone else wanted to do.........cruise.
__________________

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'07 SILVERADO Z71 1500 Ext.Cab Z71 6.0 "VortecMAX"-GMPP CAI-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #68
dorfmac
SB XLVII CHAMPS
 
dorfmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by HINEY1 View Post
I guess it's a question of observation, speed, distance and reaction
Observing what's happening in front of and around you
Speed usually is a factor
The distance between vehicles
Your reaction or ability to control the vehicle
It was obvious that everyone was pushing the limits on all these issues
It pisses me off because most of us don't drive like that but, we were caught up in the excitment
and no one wanted to lag behind (including me)
It really sucks this happened
Bingo. Everyone was caught up in the excitement and like I said, could have been any one of us that ended up in that position. Yours was my favorite one out at the fest so thank goodness it wasn't you!
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #69
strych9
Nice rear end!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS/TF3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,811
I wasn't there, but I have experienced the same "white-knuckle" cruise in a similar environment. TAG is right...if the cruise had taken place on a back road, single-lane roadway all problems are alleviated. The mentality on the freeway is to stick close to the bumper in front of you so that Joe Sixpack doesn't cut into your line. You give him enough of a gap, and he'll shoot it anyway. Then the brakes come on in a hurry.

I'll be participating in a local cruise that promises to be 1500 cars or so. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Also, I do hope to make next year's C5 event.
__________________
475RWHP/427RWTQ via: SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ Offroad Pipes | Flowmaster AT Cat-back | CAI Intake | JRE Scoop | Roto-Fab Washer Relocate | JRE 480RWHP Cam | Comp Cams Springs, Pushrods, Trunnion Upgrade | C5-R T/C | Melling O/P | 3.91 LPE Gears | JRE Posi-Mod | LPW Ultra Pro Diff Cover| BMR Diff Race Bushings| All mechanical work done by me, Tuned by Ted Jannetty @ 93 Octane
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumblebee: the real deal. **1 of 371 total TF3 SS 6-speeds built**
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #70
edog


 
edog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: F'BURG VA
Posts: 3,478
Send a message via MSN to edog
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Exactly.

THIS is what we wanted....and quite frankly, I felt let down. This is the only way we'll ever do it again. I'm sorry guys. I feel like I let a lot of people down. :(
Thanks a lot TAG!

I must say, the cruises if too long and too big become work. I will consider all these post the next time. The size of the highway (lanes) make a big difference. 4 lanes were less of an issue, but two lanes were insane. The cruise home with 7 others was awesome. We worked in sync and made great time.
__________________
Doug Thorley Tri-Y LT/HF cat back Xpipe, Ported TB, 160 therm, Tranny cooler, Halltech CAI, Pedders sways, endlinks, Drop Springs, 3.45 rear gears. Tuned by East Coast Supercharging. 371HP/383TQ
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #71
atma
disco kryptonite
 
atma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Champaign
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Haven't seen a decent rant yet so I'll start.

Loved the idea of the cruise. The Indianapolis PD did a spectacular job.

Those hazard lights though...wow. Coming from an ex-leo... that was ABSOLUTELY unacceptable. The danger we brought to the high way was outrageous. I witness 3 very near misses including one of my own.

I was cruising...I had my lady in the car. I did not say but maybe 10 words to her that entire cruise. I was too focused on the car in front of me. Even at that...I nearly rear ended a ZL1. Someone 2 cars in front of him slammed on their breaks...started a chain reaction...next thing I know I was sideways looking at the median. I was paying full attention the whole time. I made sure I had a nice gap for a bail out on both sides the whole trip.

Then when regular motorist got behind some Camaros with the hazards on...that was even worse. I saw many many close calls.

I think this was just a mistake on someones part. They just didn't think of what could happen. I understand. It was probably the IPD.

Mid-Atlantic Caravan.

Unacceptable. Cruising at a constant 80 mph. Completely dangerous. I am disappointed in how this went (edog...organization was great. You did a spectacular job man). Just because there are 100 of us does not mean we are above the law, as we obviously learned. It took one person calling 9-1-1 and the entire local Indiana State Patrol post started tearing us apart. How many of us were pulled over? 7-10? That accident was great also. From what I heard it sounded like a young driver not paying attention (texting?).

For those of you who did not hear about this. We had someone call the ISP on us and they sent a load of troopers after us and tore the caravan apart. Also in the chaos there was an accident involving 4 Camaros. Just use this as an example when you are cruising with your friends or running with 100 Camaros next fest. Just use your brain. You show off more when you go slow (the speed limits).


OK, OK. I'm just finally firing up the computer and to read a bunch of conjecture and heresay being passed off as reporting is a bit surprising. You were either being presumptuous or you were simply misinformed, but the cruise from Virginia to Indy at absolutely no stretch was doing 80. I was in the front for much of this cruise. I was also in the back. I was one of those people who got in the other lane and passed cars (although I did it quite slowly). I also did it backwards. You know how long it took to get from the front of the line to the back? I had to pull into the right lane and do 50. Fifty! Because the entire cruise was going so slow, I had to do 50 just to allow cars to pass me. Still took about 30 minutes to get all the way to the back. I assure you this, my friend. The cruise was not going 80.In the front of the cruise, edog had 'em a few ticks under the speed limit. In fact, even on the three trips I made from the very back to the very front, I was able to make it all the way up without doing an excessive speed (I never touched 85 the entire way out), although there did seem to be a consistent gap in the middle of the pack where trucks would get in and widen the line. for those stuck behind the gapper (it was the same person the whole time, but I won't name names), I don't understand why none of you passed him. Perhaps before you chastise Ernie in a public forum for leading the cruise at too high a rate of speed, you should check your facts. Especially considering that the accident happened in a construction zone where traffic was already bogged down and it was physically impossible for any of the cars to be speeding. It was stop and go traffic conditions. How were they going 80? Perhaps an apology is in order.

The simple fact is, whatever went wrong was not caused by speeding and it was not caused by people changing lanes. In fact, when you're part of a cruise, driving like you normally would on the highway, including making lane changes (with proper signalling) and dealing with other motorists does not make the cruise less safe. It actually accomplishes quite the opposite and makes it more safe. It's the false sense of safety created by feeling like you're part of a group, the highway hypnosis that sets in when you've stared at the back of the same car for 5 hours straight, and the increasing reactions (and decreasing reaction times) to any outside stimulus that gets passed down the line in the cruise that combine to make cruises less safe. As the group grows in size, these problems only become exacerbated. Throw in the problems any construction zone creates on any highway and you can see how things get dicey. Now, I'm not saying that these are insurmountable problems (obviously most of the cars got through without being damaged, yet despite my pretty decent amount of knowledge of the intimate details of the situation, all I can still say is I couldn't tell you exactly why it happened. Was it a young person? yes, you got one right. was he not paying attention? I wasn't there, were you? Yet somehow you know all the reasons it happened, and you even threw in texting with a question mark to show everyone just how clever you can be . Congratulations. You win the CSI/Encyclopedia Brown Award for not only figuring out all the missing pieces, but for hammering in a few made up ones as well.

Moving on, let's talk about Indiana's State Police Force and the 7-10 cars that got pulled over. I don't know about 6-9 of them, but one of them was me. The officer had good reason to pull me over and was quite cordial. He explained to me that some Camaros were observed racing each other. he did not specify if this was by a Trooper or a private citizen. I do know that I certainly did not get pulled over because someone called 911. I got pulled over because I broke the law. From what I understand, the officers did not "tear the cruise apart." They did, however, pick out a few people who they observed driving in a dangerous manner. Again, this reflects poorly on no one but the individuals involved. Not Edog, not the Indiana State Police and not the good citizens commuting on I-70 that day. Despite all of this, I never felt like the cruise was terrifying or even any more nerve-wracking than any other time I'm on an unfamiliar roadway and need to be extra alert.

That being said, I absolutely 100% period point blank agree with you that the Camaro5 Fest III Opening Cruise was as dangerous as it was because of the use of the hazards while the vehicles were being operated. No brake lights, no turn signals. I used them to stage at the beginning of the cruise, but turned them off before I got onto the highway. The gentleman in front of me turned his off immediately follwing the incident where I was within inches of hitting his rear end because he was within inches of hitting someone else's rear end. The car behind me was able to take evasive maneuvers and bypass the accident because he saw my brake lights and could react earlier than anyone else was able to. Lesson learned.


to end this rant, I'm going to just go ahead and apologize now if i was a little harsh here, Adam. I just don't see the point in pouring water on a drowning man. I'm guessin' the guy felt about as bad as he could over the whole situation. this thread seemed a bit in poor taste. You took it as an opportunity to point out just how bad he messed up (as if the evidence wasn;t already there), then trumped up your argument with wild guesses and information garnered from that old stalwart of reliable sources "from what I heard." I'm thinkin' your whole rant would've been equally effective had you just done some editing. But, if I was a jerk in any way to you, I was probably just passing that along. I should know better than that and be the bigger person, so I'm sorry.
__________________

Last edited by atma; 08-07-2012 at 06:31 PM.
atma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #72
AdamZ
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfield, OH
Posts: 17,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
OK, OK. I'm just finally firing up the computer and to read a bunch of conjecture and heresay being passed off as reporting is a bit surprising.
Cutting your quote down because it was a book (but I did read it all )

First, I in no way said anything against edog. He did a spectacular job. I can't wait to see him take it on next year.

6, (I counted 6) if not more, state troopers don't show up all in the same place and start pulling Camaros over unless someone called and complained. From this comment...apparently multiple people called and complained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS3rd View Post
I was pull over with 3 other Camaro's by ISP on the Dayton to Indy caravan and the LEO said to me that many complaints on the group of cars.
With this quote and the next it shows that we were consistently over the posted speed limits. Now the front of the caravan could have been going 55. I don't know I wasn't there. I know there was long periods of speeding...and I had a lot of people on my phone walkie complaining of high speeds. Also before I met up with the caravan I asked my friend (who was in the caravan most of the time) how great it was and she complained that they were struggling to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
There was a lot of close calls especially in the construction zone with no shoulder an the traffic going from 70 to 0 in the blink of an eye I almost tapped the person in front of me as to passing on the right and getting back in I did it to get from behind people, that seemed to keep p hitting the brake for no reason why ride behind someone who keeps hitting the brakes if there is a free and clear lane beside you you might have seen me as most people called me by my tag HVYHTTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I'm not complaining, just offering some info here... I was the very last car in the Atlantic caravan when we left Dayton. (I was driving my truck and didn't want to break up the line of Camaros) I was right behind the car in front of me as we got on the on ramp in Dayton and I immediately had to go 90 mph to try to catch him on the ramp. I couldn't. I said "screw this" and slowed down to a still-not-even-close-to-legal speed. It took me 20 miles to catch the caravan. Then it was just like everyone said... high speeds followed by sudden braking.

I saw no fewer than 4 Camaros pulled over for speeding in both Ohio and Indiana. I went by the 4-car crash. I feel especially bad for that last blue car's owner. It was in a construction zone with tons of semis and no shoulder. It was an accident waiting to happen.

I eventually gave up trying to stay with the group. It was impossible. I just drove to the hotel and got off the expressway ramp right behind the Camaros in the caravan. I caught up in the end.

It was just too fast for that much traffic. Maybe the leaders weren't going that fast, but it was insane at the back of the pack.

The Fest cruise around Indy was a piece of cake compared to that. Especially because I was riding in the back of a friend's convertible (thanks to Chris and Susan!) and I didn't have to drive.

I agree with others. Cruising in a caravan with that many car on a busy expressway is just not a good idea.


Now, with the accident. My friend was in it. She explained to me that she, and the other 2 camaros, were all completely stopped because traffic was stopped...then the collision began because the person, obviously not paying attention, hit the transformer which was pushed into the next car which was pushed into the next (now remember, this was stopped traffic, so the 3 camaros all had their foots on the breaks. To hit a car and push it into 2 cars in front of them, you need to be going very fast). Now, if he was paying attention, he would have stopped for stopped traffic. Also, I don't he was painting his nails. I would be willing to bet he was on his phone.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #73
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl
 
CamaroSkooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,439
You have to realize that if the lead car has their vehicle set on cruise at or near the speed limit, the total caravan will be fine UNTIL a non-caravan'er pulls into the caravan going slower than that set cruise speed. Depending on how much slower they are going than the cruise speed, this can put a decent sized gap in the caravan.

In order for those stuck caravan'ers to catch up, they have to exceed the cruise speed to get back with the pack and resume the line of the caravan.

This should be pretty well understood physics. It should also be well understood that the longer the caravan is and the more people you have cutting in and out slowing down groups, you will easily see the back of the pack reaching excessive speeds to catch up.

I was the lead vehicle for the Texas caravan for the majority of the trip. And I can tell you, without a doubt, that there are times when you can tell it's not dangerous at all to air it out a little, and there are other times when you know that slower is better. The single biggest thing that helps coordinate a caravan more than anything else - Walkie Talkies!

The lead car (like me) should have a radar detector (a good one, not a Wal-Mart special) and should be constantly radio-ing back pertinent information. Not just whether or not there's an officer ahead, or radar going off, but also any potential dangers like road debris or construction zone signs indicating lane closures. The walkie-talkies make all of this information sharing exceedingly easier and makes the caravan exponentially safer. Our biggest problem was that, towards the end of the day, the batteries were dying because we'd been on the road so long

We did have one close call on our caravan on the way up there. I had given the vehicle in front of me about 5 car lengths going through a construction area. Earlier in the day, the left two lanes had been shut down due to some kind of accident. But as we were coming through, they were literally JUST opening those lanes up. Traffic was slow going, so I was only moving about 45mph. Behind me was Chris (Atti2de) and behind him was a non-caravan'er in a white chevy truck riding his backside. Suddenly the vehicle in front of me slammed on his brakes. I could have easily stopped my vehicle behind that vehicle, but I knew that the truck would have just plowed Chris right into me. I moved onto the shoulder and pulled up along side the vehicle that had been in front of me. That gave Chris an extra car length to keep the truck out of his back seat and we drove away completely unscathed. All this story proves is that situational awareness will always trump perfectly acceptable driving habits.

All that being said, if you don't want to speed, you don't have to. No one is holding a gun to your head and telling you to mash the gas. If you don't feel safe, you have the destination addresses readily available to you - go at your own speed.

The flip side of that coin: don't speed if you can't afford the consequences. And that's all I'm going to say there.
__________________

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #74
jewel25



 
jewel25's Avatar
 
Drives: Jewel
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vegas
Posts: 33,195
I would like to take this moment to ask anyone bashing the ABM driver to please stop. Was he not paying attention, yes. Was he going to fast, double yes. I know if that was me and i caused the 4 Camaro pile-up I would feel like crap. I wouldnt want to be blasted online after finding out my Camaro was just total. Which I know for a fact because I just got off the phone with the adjuster a few hours ago.

Let's just be happy that no one got hurt. Camaros will be fixed. I am grateful that the transformer was not flipped on top of my car. The ABM went under the TF and lifted it off the ground.

Let's use this as a lesson for future events.

Edog, you did a wonderful job the cruise from MD to Dayton was amazing.
__________________
jewel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #75
sugar'n'spice


 
Drives: .
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: .
Posts: 19,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Cutting your quote down because it was a book (but I did read it all )

First, I in no way said anything against edog. He did a spectacular job. I can't wait to see him take it on next year.

6, (I counted 6) if not more, state troopers don't show up all in the same place and start pulling Camaros over unless someone called and complained. From this comment...apparently multiple people called and complained.



With this quote and the next it shows that we were consistently over the posted speed limits. Now the front of the caravan could have been going 55. I don't know I wasn't there. I know there was long periods of speeding...and I had a lot of people on my phone walkie complaining of high speeds. Also before I met up with the caravan I asked my friend (who was in the caravan most of the time) how great it was and she complained that they were struggling to keep up.








Now, with the accident. My friend was in it. She explained to me that she, and the other 2 camaros, were all completely stopped because traffic was stopped...then the collision began because the person, obviously not paying attention, hit the transformer which was pushed into the next car which was pushed into the next (now remember, this was stopped traffic, so the 3 camaros all had their foots on the breaks. To hit a car and push it into 2 cars in front of them, you need to be going very fast). Now, if he was paying attention, he would have stopped for stopped traffic. Also, I don't he was painting his nails. I would be willing to bet he was on his phone.
Funny how we hear many different versions of this said accident...like almost the 'broken telephone' game. In any case...this accident happened way behind us..and it included 2 of our Canadian crew and yes..one of my friends as well...so far as I heard it...the last one..was going too fast. As for being on the phone..I don't know..I wasn't there...but I have seen many that drove and talked on the phone while on the road. For us..at home it's illegal ...I don't know about it there. I had hear some rumors..but those were cleared.
I'm still not going to talk about what really happened...I'm not going to stir anything...not my thing....Just was very happy that no one was hurt...
sugar'n'spice is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.