Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #51
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
So I've been looking at springs today.

Always felt like the ZL1 has the perfect ride height for me. Less gap, but the gap is still there. Some lowering springs...even ones advertised as 1.25" drop seem to put the tire pretty close to the wheel well which is a look I do not like.

OP I knew your car was lowered but had no idea it was on ZL1 springs. Do you or anyone happen to know what the spring rates on the ZL1 springs are?

So far I think my top pick would have been Pfadt V6 lowering springs which are advertised to drop at 1" to 1.25", but honestly they look to be a tad lower than these ZL1 springs from the pictures I've been eyeballing.

If the rates on the ZL1 springs aren't too harsh, I may just consider them, as they are likely cheaper especially if I can find a used set.

EDIT: OK so I found this:

Quote:
The ZL1 uses solid 25mm front and 28mm rear stabilizer bars, along with a variable rate 70 N/mm to 45 N/mm spring in the rear; the front 27 N/mm spring rate is the same as an SS.
So it sounds like the rear spring is progressive? I'm seeing that the V6 rate is 25 N/mm front and 55 N/mm rear.

How much different would you say ride is compared to stock V6 ride honestly?
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!

Last edited by KMPrenger; 05-27-2013 at 06:54 PM.
KMPrenger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #52
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
I had mine checked when I did my wheels the dealership told me to bring it back they will check it no charge for me. I do not expect anything to change it still drives strait as an arrow so far. I take it in Wednesday so they can have a look on the digital alignment rack.
When you lower these cars the front gains more toe out setting. You need to have your car realigned.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #53
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
When you lower these cars the front gains more toe out setting. You need to have your car realigned.
He did. Everything looked good...I just brought back an older thread to ask some questions.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #54
tangyiomss

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
So how much drop in the SS with ZL1 springs?
tangyiomss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #55
KMPrenger

OK, shot in the dark but I was talking with a member here about buying their ZL1 springs, and now I have accidentally deleted our PMs and I can't remember the screen name!

If that person happens to see this please get in contact with me!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #56
KMPrenger

So I just returned from my parents place where I did the ZL1 springs install with my dad's help. My dad has a huge shop with air tools and all that so I just decided to go there instead of wrenching it in my garage. Really just need a 2nd person to help lift or hold things in place while you screw in a bolt and stuff like that....otherwise it was pretty simple stuff. All in all, I'd say it took us around 4 hours in total. But heck, if I had all the tools laid out first, now I think I could do it in 2 or 3 hours.

No pictures yet, but I'm pretty happy with the results. Going to get the bushings timed and an alignment this week. Then I'll probably get some pictures after that.

The drop isn't as much as the typical aftermarket drop. I'd say I lost 3/4" to 1"....which for me is perfect. I wanted a stance just like a ZL1, and now I have it with the ZL1 springs. I was worried about the ride quality, but after driving home all my worries are gone. It rides great. Very close to stock when your just cruising. The ONLY very minor difference I've noticed was on the highway I felt a tad bit more movement, but honestly that's only b/c I was paying attention to it. It soaks up the bumps just fine, and although I didn't push it in turns, the handling feels better. (It should lol) Maybe once I have the bushings timed and an alignment it will be even better as far as the stuff I felt on the highway.

I wish I had done this a long time ago.

Will get pictures as soon as I have some decent ones.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #57
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
I put the ZL1 rear springs on my 1LE drop the back of the car 1/2 inch check the car before and after with a full tank of gas.
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #58
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
So I just returned from my parents place where I did the ZL1 springs install with my dad's help. My dad has a huge shop with air tools and all that so I just decided to go there instead of wrenching it in my garage. Really just need a 2nd person to help lift or hold things in place while you screw in a bolt and stuff like that....otherwise it was pretty simple stuff. All in all, I'd say it took us around 4 hours in total. But heck, if I had all the tools laid out first, now I think I could do it in 2 or 3 hours.

No pictures yet, but I'm pretty happy with the results. Going to get the bushings timed and an alignment this week. Then I'll probably get some pictures after that.

The drop isn't as much as the typical aftermarket drop. I'd say I lost 3/4" to 1"....which for me is perfect. I wanted a stance just like a ZL1, and now I have it with the ZL1 springs. I was worried about the ride quality, but after driving home all my worries are gone. It rides great. Very close to stock when your just cruising. The ONLY very minor difference I've noticed was on the highway I felt a tad bit more movement, but honestly that's only b/c I was paying attention to it. It soaks up the bumps just fine, and although I didn't push it in turns, the handling feels better. (It should lol) Maybe once I have the bushings timed and an alignment it will be even better as far as the stuff I felt on the highway.

I wish I had done this a long time ago.

Will get pictures as soon as I have some decent ones.
Glad you got them done I am over 10k on mine no issues
Old 06-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #59
X-Factor
Camaro Chick

Drives: 2011 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS
Awesome! Thanks for the info and posting about this. I was looking into BMR springs, but this looks more economic for me. Is there a difference between 1LE springs vs ZL1 springs? Also, i was going to go with the 1LE sway bars.... I have a 2LT/RS. Thanks!

Sent from my Phablet using Tapatalk!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #60
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
The 1LE rear spring should be the same as a SS rear spring ( but the back of the 1LE seem to sit higher in the air than a stock SS) . The 1LE rear spring is a linear rate spring and the ZL1 is a progressive rate spring. On my car the ZL1 rear spring drop the back of the car a 1/2 inch.
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #61
X-Factor
Camaro Chick

Drives: 2011 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS
Awesome! Thanks so much for the info!

Sent from my Phablet using Tapatalk!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #62
69supersport396
Rick

Drives: 2012 IBM RS 'Vert
I've read elsewhere on this site the V6 struts/shocks have more travel and the V8 springs will come "unseated" if the car is raised on a lift or it the strut/shock is fully extended. Doesn't sound like you have this problem. I have a set of SS springs that I haven't installed yet.

I can do the changeover myself, but I don't want to deal with any issues after it is completed.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #63
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69supersport396 View Post
I've read elsewhere on this site the V6 struts/shocks have more travel and the V8 springs will come "unseated" if the car is raised on a lift or it the strut/shock is fully extended. Doesn't sound like you have this problem. I have a set of SS springs that I haven't installed yet.

I can do the changeover myself, but I don't want to deal with any issues after it is completed.
I have over 10k on my ZL1 springs and they have been installed on the car for 10 months so far no issues. I have had the car on the lift several times, up in the air changing rims and cleaning no issues to date.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #64
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
Just a heads up on the ss springs supersport, I have them on my car and got some lift in the front and so has another member here. It may be different since you have a convertible. The rear does sit at a nice height now though.
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote