Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 11-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

Drives: 2014 SS
V6 guys...

I know it's been discussed before, however, it's back on the drawing board here at Monster Clutch Co.

I've had a couple of guys asking about them lately and I'm just curious as a business owner, before I make the investment, of the following questions.
  • How many are actually interested in a decent clutch for their V6 Camaro?
  • What pricing would you guys like to see? (loaded question, I know)
  • What power levels are you guys seeing?

If we go to production we'll offer one unit, a twin disc capable of 650 rwhp/tq and will drive like stock. If we need to bump that for some we'll be able to without issue. We'll remove the dual mass flywheel and will put something in there that will actually take abuse.

By all means we're open to the consumers wants, so, if I'm missing something put it out there. I've got a factory clutch/flywheel/hydraulics on my desk, so now's the time!

The floor is open...
Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
rgrmoreira13

Drives: Tumbler
Well it would be a good idea. There are so many things for the SS so why not for the V6 ? And unless the setup is insanely powerful 650 rwhp should do it.

Performance- Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Cosmetics - Eagle Eye Headlghts with 8K HID bulbs, CCFL Foglights with stage 3 LED bulbs, Carbon Fiber Bowtie, 20x8.5 by 20x10.5 XO Berlin Wheels, Gloss Black ZL1 spoiler, ZL1 Manual steering wheel, Leather shift knob with red stitching, Suede shift boot with red stitching, 4 pack auxilary Guages, Elite Catch Can more coming soon....
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
Well it would be a good idea. There are so many things for the SS so why not for the V6 ? And unless the setup is insanely powerful 650 rwhp should do it.
That's what I was thinking as far as power.

I don't mind spending the money to build a production unit, I just don't want to waste the money.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
It seems that a lot of guys want a twin disc clutch, myself included...
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, Custom 2.5"/3" Magnaflow Exhaust

Next: Wheels / Tires, or boost.

DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS, 04 Turbo Busa
Why not see real interest by getting a small deposit from everybody who is serious that wants one, BEFORE production. If you get enough initial interest and deposits to build than you would have some seed money to continue forward also. I'm an auto trans but have seen other companies try this method to get real interest results. Good Luck.
CAI intake, RX catch can, Nitrous Outlet Plate system, RX Ported Throttle body, APEX air scoop, SOLO HFCs, JacFab ported intake manifold and upper intake isolator, Solo cat back Mach X system, SS diff 3.91 gears, Weld RT-S 17x10 & 17x5 W/M&H DRs.
TUNING BY: HP Tuners /MATT@FSP
( 1.63 60' / 12.03@109.22 11/14/2014 )
** 2015 CHANGES COMING **
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
terry_b

Drives: 2010 Synergy Special Edition
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I'd be interested... I'm not really looking for crazy high power, turbo might be in the cards eventually, but really a *better* option than OEM or a *cheaper* option than the current ones available would be great. If I didn't have to spend so much, I'd already have an aftermarket clutch.

On a side note - what exactly is the deal with the dual mass flywheel? Why is it used?
Old 11-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
It seems that a lot of guys want a twin disc clutch, myself included...
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etmx183 View Post
Why not see real interest by getting a small deposit from everybody who is serious that wants one, BEFORE production. If you get enough initial interest and deposits to build than you would have some seed money to continue forward also. I'm an auto trans but have seen other companies try this method to get real interest results. Good Luck.
I've tried that before and it wound up being a disaster, I will take guys money when the clutches are ready and production is done. Thanks for the ideas though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
I'd be interested... I'm not really looking for crazy high power, turbo might be in the cards eventually, but really a *better* option than OEM or a *cheaper* option than the current ones available would be great. If I didn't have to spend so much, I'd already have an aftermarket clutch.

On a side note - what exactly is the deal with the dual mass flywheel? Why is it used?
What pricing are you guys wanting to see?

My cost on a factory clutch from GM is around $500, list is more of course. The clutch I'm talking about will be about $1,000 depending.

Dual mass flywheels are designed to reduce NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness), they're terrible for performance cars in numerous ways. Namely weight, these things are NOT light by any means at all.

Keep the responses to this thread and the pm's coming guys!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
I've had a few V6 guys ask about clutches so I know the interest is there, how much interest is the big question..
www.Gforce1320.com 316-260-8433
MONSTER CLUTCH DEALER

GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

I'm going to need more than a handful of people on this...
Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I'll throw my .02 in just because I can... I don't think the NEED for a v6 clutch to hold 650hp/tq is there, if you dig deep on the forums here, I think there is only one car that's pulling numbers that big and it's an auto... Most of the NA cars don't break 300, and most of the FI cars are just creeping over 400 whp, with a handful under 450...

I guess my big question to you is, can you make a clutch that's good to say 450 whp/tq for less money than one that's good to 650? I think if you can it may open you up to a wider spectrum of customers that may be interested in an upgraded aftermarket clutch... Because I would guesstimate that 90% of the v6 owners you want to sell something to, will never come close to 650 whp/tq let alone 400, in their wildest dreams, so in my mind it's doubtful they will want to spend $1000 on a clutch/flywheel kit. If there is any kind of decent difference between manufacturing a clutch good to 650 vs 450, and you can drop the price, you might get some attention.

Another scenario, simply manufacture a flywheel that's not a dual mass that accepts the stock clutch, just to lighten the load...

Just thinking out loud. Good luck!

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I'll throw my .02 in just because I can... I don't think the NEED for a v6 clutch to hold 650hp/tq is there, if you dig deep on the forums here, I think there is only one car that's pulling numbers that big and it's an auto... Most of the NA cars don't break 300, and most of the FI cars are just creeping over 400 whp, with a handful under 450...

I guess my big question to you is, can you make a clutch that's good to say 450 whp/tq for less money than one that's good to 650? I think if you can it may open you up to a wider spectrum of customers that may be interested in an upgraded aftermarket clutch... Because I would guesstimate that 90% of the v6 owners you want to sell something to, will never come close to 650 whp/tq let alone 400, in their wildest dreams, so in my mind it's doubtful they will want to spend $1000 on a clutch/flywheel kit. If there is any kind of decent difference between manufacturing a clutch good to 650 vs 450, and you can drop the price, you might get some attention.

Another scenario, simply manufacture a flywheel that's not a dual mass that accepts the stock clutch, just to lighten the load...

Just thinking out loud. Good luck!
I would agree with this, here's the issue I've got.

To hold less it would be a single disc, the issue is the size of the clutch. In order for a single to hold that torque and be easy to drive/smooth it really needs to be closer to a 11" or 12" unit. You can't fit that inside the V6 bellhousing. This is why I said a twin disc.

It's going to be close to $1,000 - The reason for that is the elimination of the dual mass flywheel. In order to do this you have to use a rather large chunk of aluminum or steel and machine it down. That is where all the cost is on this particular unit.

I'm going to make one and work with my machinist on time to see if we can get it right where pricing is concerned.

In the interim you guys keep providing feedback!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
terry_b

Drives: 2010 Synergy Special Edition
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I think RacnJsn95 hit the nail on the head there. I find it really hard to justify the $1000 hit on a clutch that's a bit more than I need. All I want is something that's going to feel sportier than stock, just a but firmer and 450 at the crank is probably a decent number to aim for. Otherwise, for the money, I'm better off with OEM and taking my chances on machining the flywheel.

I replaced a perfectly fine clutch in my last car, a mustang, because I actually could justify it with the fact that it only cost $500 for new clutch and flywheel together.

Give me a fairly sporty option for around $500 and I'm sold for sure

Sent from my sweet windows phone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

As I stated before, $500 for a clutch/flywheel package is going to be difficult. We'll look into the singles.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #14
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I want to get rid of this dual mass fly wheel crap and get a nice clutch with out dropping a grand. V8 guys get all the nice things cheap.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch View Post
As I stated before, $500 for a clutch/flywheel package is going to be difficult. We'll look into the singles.
it may be hard but its doable! You make a full clutch kit for 500-600 bucks you will sell a ton! and have to price go from there for more clamping force.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_camaro View Post
it may be hard but its doable! You make a full clutch kit for 500-600 bucks you will sell a ton! and have to price go from there for more clamping force.
The problem is I sell 10's of thousands of those and have for many years, the V6 stuff uses smaller, less common components. That mixed with the lack of demand is what's going to make it hard.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to try, but do not expect a $500 clutch that will drive like stock and be a single disc + hold 600 rwhp.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
I know in this life you often get what you pay for, so I'm willing to pay more than a factory price for a clutch that performs as smoothly as OE but is able to withstand more power and abuse.

Having the benefit of improve performance with a lighter flywheel provides even more justification of price.

You build it, price it fairly and we will buy it.
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
hawkfe

Drives: 2014 Stingray 3LT
Be nice to have some options when it's time to replace.
hawkfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
I also agree that RacnJsn above got it right when he said most N/A guys with bolt ons are going to be between 330 - 360 crank horsepower, while the SC forced induction guys are going to be around 400 at the wheels. Its the twin turbo V6 guys that will be pushing 450+ wheel horsepower and there are some of them out there. There is only one very serious V6 TT build that is pushing 650+ rwhp right now.

So this could be a hard sell at that price point...but I can't say for sure.

I would say if you want to get more feed back on this, post this up in the V6 area...maybe the V6 forced induction area and then provide a link in the post back to this thread. It will get more visibility that way.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #20
V6 LS Supercar
I hate the AY6

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro
I would love the option of a better clutch when I get the money for FI but one issue I am concerned with is the tranny it self. It already gives shifting issues stock and I think its only rated for 350 tq per aisin specs. So the clutch would hold but I am wondering on the tranny it self.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 LS Supercar View Post
I would love the option of a better clutch when I get the money for FI but one issue I am concerned with is the tranny it self. It already gives shifting issues stock and I think its only rated for 350 tq per aisin specs. So the clutch would hold but I am wondering on the tranny it self.
The shifting issues are not caused by the transmission trying to "protect itself", it's because the clutch isn't releasing at higher rpm/more strain. You reduce those rpm's and the clutch functions properly, IE, you can shift it.

The T56 is only rated at 700 ftlbs, but, I've put a lot more through them and so has others...
Old 12-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #22
ArmyEOD17

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
I think that 650whp would be a good idea because although they arent pushing near that power why not have that buffer zone? Turbo's and S/C's are only going to around 450 yes but theres always the possibility for a serious builder to keep going. $1,000.00 for a twin disc I would buy it, and I feel there would be a pretty good following for it too since really we have very few options..
Old 12-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD17 View Post
I think that 650whp would be a good idea because although they arent pushing near that power why not have that buffer zone? Turbo's and S/C's are only going to around 450 yes but theres always the possibility for a serious builder to keep going. $1,000.00 for a twin disc I would buy it, and I feel there would be a pretty good following for it too since really we have very few options..
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
Indykid

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT Convertible
What would be the life expectancy of the new unit vs stock? If it lasts longer it would make the in crested cost easier to accept. Also how much could be reused if you had to replace it again?
Indykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indykid View Post
What would be the life expectancy of the new unit vs stock? If it lasts longer it would make the in crested cost easier to accept. Also how much could be reused if you had to replace it again?
That vastly depends on the driver, usage, and horsepower. Being fully maximized and having a decent driver it should see ~70k miles give or take. Not being fully maximized you could see easily over 100k miles.

The replacement/rebuild is less than $500, I can't post the actual pricing because of the forum rules.