Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
ZL1LEGEND
ZL1 - The Legend Returns!
 
ZL1LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 265
18" Drag radials on the ZL1

For those who are using 18" drag radials on thier ZL1 which wheels are you using? Vette wheels? Size and tire choice also?

Thanks
ZL1LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,826
The rear brakes look to be the same as on the SS, so you should have all the same wheel choices.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
ZL1LEGEND
ZL1 - The Legend Returns!
 
ZL1LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 265
Thanks. Looking to buy a spare set of wheels to house 305 rear tires. Looking for recommendation on what others have done.
ZL1LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,826
The cheapest would be any of the 18x9.5 vette wheels everybody runs. Even the ZL1 engineers have run them.

SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Bolt-onC6
 
Drives: 08 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
The cheapest would be any of the 18x9.5 vette wheels everybody runs. Even the ZL1 engineers have run them.
Yes, and have two wheels narrowed to 6 1/2" wide for the front as a semi-skinny that looks the same.

And with 186 mph rating you can drive this tire on the street or strip. It actually looks much better than in the picture. http://www.performanceplustire.com/t...05_SLASH_45-18
Bolt-onC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt-onC6 View Post
Yes, and have two wheels narrowed to 6 1/2" wide for the front as a semi-skinny that looks the same.

And with 186 mph rating you can drive this tire on the street or strip. It actually looks much better than in the picture. http://www.performanceplustire.com/t...05_SLASH_45-18
Honestly the $$ you would spend on narrowing is not worth the minimal weight savings.

For about the same $$ you could buy actual skinnies with radial fronts that weigh in at 33 lbs each.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Bolt-onC6
 
Drives: 08 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Honestly the $$ you would spend on narrowing is not worth the minimal weight savings.

For about the same $$ you could buy actual skinnies with radial fronts that weigh in at 33 lbs each.
I paid $200 each for my two narrowed and $89 each for tires plus actual shipping of course. Yes a little cheaper for actual skinnies up front but will look much better with matching wheels. And you don't have to change out four wheels with each track visit. Run Mickeys in the back all the time and don't have to change either. Just don't drive 70 mph on wet roads with Mickey's in the back.

A factory wheel on the front with a Z06 in back doesn't look terribly good on a $60K car, IMO!
Bolt-onC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt-onC6 View Post
I paid $200 each for my two narrowed and $89 each for tires plus actual shipping of course. Yes a little cheaper for actual skinnies up front but will look much better with matching wheels. And you don't have to change out four wheels with each track visit. Run Mickeys in the back all the time and don't have to change either. Just don't drive 70 mph on wet roads with Mickey's in the back.

A factory wheel on the front with a Z06 in back doesn't look terribly good on a $60K car, IMO!
Those tires are 25.3" tall. Most guys around here run 305/45 18 drag tires, which are 28.8' tall. The stock tires are 28.4" tall. I don't think any ZL1 owners are gonna neuter their cars handling by driving around on short/skinny fronts all the time, LOL.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Bolt-onC6
 
Drives: 08 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Those tires are 25.3" tall. Most guys around here run 305/45 18 drag tires, which are 28.8' tall. The stock tires are 28.4" tall. I don't think any ZL1 owners are gonna neuter their cars handling by driving around on short/skinny fronts all the time, LOL.
Obviously you have to select the correct rear diameter for the ZL1s offsets.
Bolt-onC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
ZL1LEGEND
ZL1 - The Legend Returns!
 
ZL1LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 265
So from what I've seen and read a stock 9.5" Z06 wheel will fit the rear of the ZL1 with a 285(?) drag radial? This would be the front wheel from a stock C6 Z06 correct?
ZL1LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
xjer22x

 
xjer22x's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hoffman estates, il
Posts: 913
That is correct. The main reason for the front is the offset.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC
 
2012ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,701
I ordered the black Z06 9.5" wheels for the rear. Got them on ebay for 100 bux each.
__________________
2012 ZL1
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
ZL1LEGEND
ZL1 - The Legend Returns!
 
ZL1LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 265
What size tires are you running on the 9.5" wheels?
ZL1LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #14
xjer22x

 
xjer22x's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hoffman estates, il
Posts: 913
305/45/18 nitto DR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.