Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
H1Chester
Bowties forever

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2014 Subaru Izzy WRX
Any problems with your Barton Short Throw?

I just ordered a Hurst Monday night and it is supposed to show up today. Since I saw the posts about the Hursts having issues, I am considering not even opening the Hurst, and returning it for a Barton.

Have any of you had any isses with your Barton?

Or should I just order a set of Hurst bushings from NH-SS?
5% Window Tint, AC red interior overhead LED, AC red interior footwell lighting, AC white license plate LEDs, AC red behind the grill lighting, AC red engine bay lighting, Roto-Fab Intake, BBK Chrome Shorties, Flowmaster Cat-Back, Gary's Custom painted black badges bowties and tail light bezels, Painted black Heritage Grille with "SS", T3 Ports with LEDs, Painted black T3 Splitter with radiator cooler, TSW Nurburgring wheels black powdercoat, NITTO Invo rubber, Hurst Short Throw Shifter with "NH-SS" Bushings, Big Worm Graphix Carbon Fiber GS Hash Marks
H1Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
RichGreene
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Green 1993 Custom Eldo
I havent had any problems with my aftermarket Hurst after over a year.
RichGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Most people will not notice the Hurst issue, mine has been fine, bushings are fine. I have a set of the new bushings at home, but have not put them in. I will soon just for the hell of it, but not because it needs it yet.

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
This is one of the first mods I did to my SS in early 2010. zero issues with the Barton, and have no complaints. I'm really happy with my Barton shifter.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
H1Chester
Bowties forever

Thanks for the input fellas. Makes it a hard decision to send the Hurst back for a Barton, or keep the Hurst for now and just get a set of bushings if I need them! I'm going to wait to see if anyone else posts here till tomorrow morning and then decide!
5% Window Tint, AC red interior overhead LED, AC red interior footwell lighting, AC white license plate LEDs, AC red behind the grill lighting, AC red engine bay lighting, Roto-Fab Intake, BBK Chrome Shorties, Flowmaster Cat-Back, Gary's Custom painted black badges bowties and tail light bezels, Painted black Heritage Grille with "SS", T3 Ports with LEDs, Painted black T3 Splitter with radiator cooler, TSW Nurburgring wheels black powdercoat, NITTO Invo rubber, Hurst Short Throw Shifter with "NH-SS" Bushings, Big Worm Graphix Carbon Fiber GS Hash Marks
Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
H1Chester
Bowties forever

Going to go with the Hurst for now, thanks for everyone's input!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Burnt_RS

Drives: '10 1LT/RS
Love the Barton shifter in mine! I went that route instead of the Hurst for saving some $ (not paying for the Hurst name) and a product that has no negative comments. I wasn't about to pay more money for something that wasn't going to be up to my expectations. The car rattles enough; I don't need noise from the shifter too.
Burnt_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
I picked up a Barton flat stick billet shifter at Camaro5fest III, and just installed it today. I love the way it feels and shifts, and the throws are a HUGE difference over the stock shifter. A quality product, and highly recommended.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
pistolgripcopo1
pistolgripcopo1

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Carbon fiber gray
Barton much better quality then the hurst thats why you see so meany posts about hurst problems.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Mine is great!!
TVS2300 ,Hendrix Street Slayer Twin Carbon Clutch, Dana 60 3.73, DSS 1400HP Axles,JRe cam & LaMotta Performance tuned,LPE Fuel, AI Super Chiller,MT ET Streets
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Barton..!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
kevin1106

Drives: 2014 3LT-Z51 Vert
I'm not sure what to think of my Barton STS... I just installed it last night and I love the feel.... But it rattles... All the time.... My MTI shifter did not rattle at all! I'm really thinking about removing it and returning it... I can't stand the rattles..

I'm gonna try to put a peice of dynamat on the connecting joint. Hopefully that will fix it cause I like the feel of it.... Just rattles.... :(
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #13
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I have had mine well over a year and it's great. If yours is rattling I'm thinking you need to check some thing. I've never here of a Barton making rattle noises.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
kevin1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
I have had mine well over a year and it's great. If yours is rattling I'm thinking you need to check some thing. I've never here of a Barton making rattle noises.
Well the install is pretty simple. I don't see how I could not install it right. One thing I noticed is my mti shifter had ball bearing and metal/ aluminum bushings vs the plastic ones in my Barton. The MTI bushings won't fit in my Barton shifter and the ball bearings won't fit either.

Think I'm gonna go to lowes tomorrow and see if I can't find anything that might tighten things up. As for now... I'm not to happy with it. The mti shifter seems to have better quality material. Just sucks though cause the Barton shifter feels better, but I can't take the rattles.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
pistolgripcopo1
pistolgripcopo1

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Carbon fiber gray
30 day money back gerentee notify barton.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
Barton Industries

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Kevin1106- Some cars make more noise than others, this is out of our control. The looser the tolerances are on GM's side the more drivetrain noise will transmit through the shifter. This is why some have noise and some dont, with ANY shifter.
If you had no noise with the MTI shifter its because you were using the factory knob or a different style knob than the shift ball that comes with our flat stick. If you use our OEM type stick so you can use the factory knob. You will have no noise at all.
With the flat stick and ball, you have no rubber isolation between the handle and the knob. If you apply some teflon tape to the upper threads and put the ball back on, it should quiet it down. If for some reason you still have noise, make sure the rubber boot inside the car is pulled back up on to the handle and not sitting below it. The boot on the bottom of the car may also not be properly seated all the way. Also, did you make sure the "D" on the bottom of the shifter was to the drivers side?
If everything is correct, than shoot me an email with your address and I will send you an OEM type stick so you can use the factory knob, to eliminate the noise. Free of charge.
As far as material quality, we use 304 stainless steel and 6061 T6 billet aluminum. Yes, our bushings are not roller bearings like the MTI, but there are no need for bearings on a linkage. The shifter linkage is applied through linear force not a rotational direction. You might get 1/10 of a rotation in the pivot pin but bearings are designed for rotating not applying pressure. Same reason you use bushings on control arms and not roller bearings.
Thanks,
Dave
Barton Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
kevin1106

PM sent...
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Brandon@LSRPerformance

Drives: N/A
Check out our Tri-Ax shifter:

1. 20%-33% reduced throw
  2. Durable delrin linkage insert
  3. Long lasting billet steel and aluminum construction
  4. Will not corrode, nickel plated
  5. Made in America
  6. Lifetime warranty - We make it, we guarantee it!

Let me know if I can help you with that.
Brandon@LSRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
kevin1106

Sent a pm to Barton's. 8 days later, no reply's and no shifter. Pulling it out tomorrow and sending it back. Going with MGW.....Before my 30 days is up.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
kevin1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon@LSRPerformance View Post
Check out our Tri-Ax shifter:

1. 20%-33% reduced throw
  2. Durable delrin linkage insert
  3. Long lasting billet steel and aluminum construction
  4. Will not corrode, nickel plated
  5. Made in America
  6. Lifetime warranty - We make it, we guarantee it!

Let me know if I can help you with that.
Pm me a price please....
Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
Brandon@LSRPerformance

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
Pm me a price please....
PM sent.
Brandon@LSRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
kevin1106

pm replied....
Old 09-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #23
kevin1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barton Industries View Post
Kevin1106- Some cars make more noise than others, this is out of our control. The looser the tolerances are on GM's side the more drivetrain noise will transmit through the shifter. This is why some have noise and some dont, with ANY shifter.
If you had no noise with the MTI shifter its because you were using the factory knob or a different style knob than the shift ball that comes with our flat stick. If you use our OEM type stick so you can use the factory knob. You will have no noise at all.
With the flat stick and ball, you have no rubber isolation between the handle and the knob. If you apply some teflon tape to the upper threads and put the ball back on, it should quiet it down. If for some reason you still have noise, make sure the rubber boot inside the car is pulled back up on to the handle and not sitting below it. The boot on the bottom of the car may also not be properly seated all the way. Also, did you make sure the "D" on the bottom of the shifter was to the drivers side?
If everything is correct, than shoot me an email with your address and I will send you an OEM type stick so you can use the factory knob, to eliminate the noise. Free of charge.
As far as material quality, we use 304 stainless steel and 6061 T6 billet aluminum. Yes, our bushings are not roller bearings like the MTI, but there are no need for bearings on a linkage. The shifter linkage is applied through linear force not a rotational direction. You might get 1/10 of a rotation in the pivot pin but bearings are designed for rotating not applying pressure. Same reason you use bushings on control arms and not roller bearings.
Thanks,
Dave
Just figured I'd give an update.... As of today, still no reply from my pm and of course no shifter....guess I won't be getting my free shifter after all. Almost 3weeks
Old 09-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #24
TRIPWIRE
Chillin Like a Villain

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss Aqua Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
Just figured I'd give an update.... As of today, still no reply from my pm and of course no shifter....guess I won't be getting my free shifter after all. Almost 3weeks
dude he said to email him go to the site and find the email you gotta get that free shifter lol
Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #25
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
I dont why people pm. Call them. If you cant speak with a live person then why do business with them imo.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barton, hurst