Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?
 
SSGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some where in So Cal
Posts: 3,928
Onstar App and Navigation???

Question: ive seen some members coment that you can use or send directions to ur vehicle with out the navigation plan. For example having just the safe and sound(cheapest plan) you can send directions to your vehicle. If that is correct can some advise how that is possible. I wanna use thia on my car
__________________
AAC Plasma DRL's,Plug n play harness,Elite CC,Tint: 35% & 5%, LED Dome light, Show-N-Go Plate Holder, Flowmaster AT, C.A.I. Intake, VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!
 
Obzen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,158
Last I heard they updated it so you can no longer use it without directions and connections. I emailed onstar and pleaded to have them add a cheaper package for those of us that just want the app functionality. I'm sure it won't happen though.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Wabbit
 
Wabbit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2LT/RS SIM/Grey lnt/Sun/Nav
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In my car as much as I can
Posts: 735
You are supposed to be able to do it with the standard plan, but only if you have the GM navigation system.
__________________
Rally Stripes - Check
Hockey Stripes - Check
Gills - Check
Ambient Lighting - Saving my $$$ now
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?
 
SSGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some where in So Cal
Posts: 3,928
That sux. Well i really dont need it so whatever.
__________________
AAC Plasma DRL's,Plug n play harness,Elite CC,Tint: 35% & 5%, LED Dome light, Show-N-Go Plate Holder, Flowmaster AT, C.A.I. Intake, VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
TJR1952
 
TJR1952's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2LT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: WEST COVINA,CA
Posts: 279
I have had several vehicles with on-star. Never used it , even during the free trail. I always thought they wanted to hook you , then you pay the large yearly fee. I would much rather have nav and a cell phone.
TJR1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!
 
Obzen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR1952 View Post
I have had several vehicles with on-star. Never used it , even during the free trail. I always thought they wanted to hook you , then you pay the large yearly fee. I would much rather have nav and a cell phone.
That's exactly what the onstar app is. You search the address on your phone then Hit send. Directions pop up on your car. It's awesome. However it's not $28 a month awesome.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
ExCrystal
 
ExCrystal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2lt
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 83
For Apple iPhone users, iOS6 will have turn-by-turn built in with the Google Maps. I don't know if you're an iPhone user, but it seems like a great feature and will save you money versus OnStar Turn-by-turn.

I always use the (Google) Maps app on my iPhone and it's awesome.
ExCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
J_GuidoSS
 
J_GuidoSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011, summit-white/stripes
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Jose, ca
Posts: 98
if you only want direction then turn on your bluetooth, go to your stereo settings, add device(gives you defferent options for devices) choose navigation, and pair it! once your are done you will have navigation directions on your car!
__________________
2011 L99, Borla axle-back/ x-pipe
J_GuidoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
DeAdMiKe187
 
Drives: Black 2012 2LT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_GuidoSS View Post
if you only want direction then turn on your bluetooth, go to your stereo settings, add device(gives you defferent options for devices) choose navigation, and pair it! once your are done you will have navigation directions on your car!
What kind of devices can you add? Regular standalone GPS devices that are bluetooth capable? Would be nice if you could pair Google Maps through your phone.
DeAdMiKe187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Wabbit
 
Wabbit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2LT/RS SIM/Grey lnt/Sun/Nav
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In my car as much as I can
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCrystal View Post
For Apple iPhone users, iOS6 will have turn-by-turn built in with the Google Maps. I don't know if you're an iPhone user, but it seems like a great feature and will save you money versus OnStar Turn-by-turn.

I always use the (Google) Maps app on my iPhone and it's awesome.
Apple is dumping Google maps on the next version for their own in-house maps.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/11/r...-app-in-ios-6/
__________________
Rally Stripes - Check
Hockey Stripes - Check
Gills - Check
Ambient Lighting - Saving my $$$ now
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
Alan11
 
Alan11's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 78
I use Waze for my I-phone it is available for Android phones too. It provides real time traffic and weather info and it is free. Saved me a 3 hour wait in traffic last month when I was in Richmond, gave me a 15 minute heads up on an accident on I-64 and planned me an alternate route to get to Williamsburg.
__________________
Alan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Jameg1011
 
Jameg1011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 730
I use MapQuest on my iPhone, works just fine and its free.
Jameg1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
J_GuidoSS
 
J_GuidoSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011, summit-white/stripes
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Jose, ca
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAdMiKe187 View Post
What kind of devices can you add? Regular standalone GPS devices that are bluetooth capable? Would be nice if you could pair Google Maps through your phone.
any type of GPS, regular or phone. i have my PHONE google maps gps . Just make sure you have it on prior to pair it with your camaro's bluetooth!
hope it helps!!!
__________________
2011 L99, Borla axle-back/ x-pipe
J_GuidoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
DeAdMiKe187
 
Drives: Black 2012 2LT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_GuidoSS View Post
any type of GPS, regular or phone. i have my PHONE google maps gps . Just make sure you have it on prior to pair it with your camaro's bluetooth!
hope it helps!!!
Thanks for the info. I remember reading some OLD threads that said that this feature was disabled. When you pair it with a GPS, do the turns show up on the DIC/HUD the same way the OnStar directions do, or it is just audio directions or something?
DeAdMiKe187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!
 
Obzen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAdMiKe187 View Post
Thanks for the info. I remember reading some OLD threads that said that this feature was disabled. When you pair it with a GPS, do the turns show up on the DIC/HUD the same way the OnStar directions do, or it is just audio directions or something?
Its just audio. If you use a dedicated GPS to do it, you won't be able to listen to music. If you want music and directions, then you need to play them both from the same source. That's the bad part. Unless you don't listen to music.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac
 
Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Last I heard they updated it so you can no longer use it without directions and connections. I emailed onstar and pleaded to have them add a cheaper package for those of us that just want the app functionality. I'm sure it won't happen though.
When was the update? I was able to send directions to my Mom's Terrain less than 2 weeks ago and she doesn't have the Nav package.
__________________
Ringo64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!
 
Obzen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
When was the update? I was able to send directions to my Mom's Terrain less than 2 weeks ago and she doesn't have the Nav package.
I'm not sure. I read it recently in another thread.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
DeAdMiKe187
 
Drives: Black 2012 2LT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Its just audio. If you use a dedicated GPS to do it, you won't be able to listen to music. If you want music and directions, then you need to play them both from the same source. That's the bad part. Unless you don't listen to music.
Ahhhhhhhh that sucks.
DeAdMiKe187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?
 
SSGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some where in So Cal
Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_GuidoSS View Post
any type of GPS, regular or phone. i have my PHONE google maps gps . Just make sure you have it on prior to pair it with your camaro's bluetooth!
hope it helps!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Its just audio. If you use a dedicated GPS to do it, you won't be able to listen to music. If you want music and directions, then you need to play them both from the same source. That's the bad part. Unless you don't listen to music.
I will try this. Hopefully it works. Thanks.
__________________
AAC Plasma DRL's,Plug n play harness,Elite CC,Tint: 35% & 5%, LED Dome light, Show-N-Go Plate Holder, Flowmaster AT, C.A.I. Intake, VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Last I heard they updated it so you can no longer use it without directions and connections.
I just checked the maps on Google.com and sure enough this has been changed to only work if you have the Directions and Connections package. When this feature came out, it would work if you just had the Safe and Sound package because I've used it before but not anymore.

I do not have a smartphone so I can't check the apps.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
Waste
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT M6
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 114
Does anyone know if Onstar offers discounted rates if you hold out on renewing your service like XM? i just got a letter in the mail for the Directions and Connections Plan and its 319.93/yr or 30.92/mo. I have another month on my free trial service.
Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
DeAdMiKe187
 
Drives: Black 2012 2LT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waste View Post
Does anyone know if Onstar offers discounted rates if you hold out on renewing your service like XM? i just got a letter in the mail for the Directions and Connections Plan and its 319.93/yr or 30.92/mo. I have another month on my free trial service.
$319.93 a year for Directions and Connections? Their website has it listed as being $299 a year and $28 per month!
DeAdMiKe187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
jeffny09


 
jeffny09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 5,715
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
umm i pay 12 a month for it...
__________________
top 10 reason why real men drive stick.

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #24
DeAdMiKe187
 
Drives: Black 2012 2LT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 210
I just want to let you guys know that for the last month or so, I had been having some problems with the RemoteLink Android app. It either wasn't sending directions to the car, or not Remote Starting the car, or updating the stats, or whatever. And when it would do a Remote Start, it would take like, 45 seconds to a minute to work.

So, I called OnStar and told them that I was having all of these problems. They said that they can push an update to my car to change some OnStar settings. It fixed everything. No more problems with anything, and commands like Remote Start take about 10 seconds now.

So, I highly recommend you guys let OnStar know if you are experiencing any weird problems like that. They should be able to send an update out to you to fix it. My car is a 2012 that was built less than 5 months ago, and it still needed to get updated. Keep that in mind!
DeAdMiKe187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #25
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!
 
Obzen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
umm i pay 12 a month for it...
You pay $12 for both onstar services? If so how did you manage that?
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.