Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

View Poll Results: What are your powertrain warranty plans?
Keep it 21 53.85%
Get rid of it ASAP 2 5.13%
Wait a while longer 16 41.03%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
Warranty: Keep it or lose it.

You play, you pay!
I’m curious how many LFX’er are planning to keep, or mod up and lose their powertrain warranty. Who has already said screw it to the powertrain warranty?

Everyone is looking for more power from there engine, yet there has been a lot of “will this void my warranty” questions lately.

I enjoy buying mods and the price doesn’t bother me really because it’s fun and it’s always something that I want. But when something breaks, it’s not so much fun and I don’t want to be responsible to pay for it. I’d rather point a finger at someone else and say it’s their problem.

I personally want more power from my engine (tune, cams, FI, etc) and I know more engine mods or coming out which makes everything more tempting. But I’ve already had the torque converter issue covered under warranty. It was so nice not to have to pull out my wallet for once.

I have to hand to the guys that just throw warranties away, it’s a tough decision. The LFX is only a year old now. Maybe at two years old I’ll feel less attached to the powertrain warranty and more attached to the back of my seat with a nice SC or TT.

Also no need to hear “should have got a V-8”

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
I got the v-8 and held out for two years thinking I didnt want to void my warranty. well I dropped it of on monday for a turbo install. so, I guess my vote is to make sure nothing else is going to take a crap, (I'd say two years would be penty) then modd the crap out of it.
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
My advise is to take care of your supporting mods first and then move on to the more serious power upgrades that could jeopardize your drivetrain warranty. That gives you some time to let any existing issues present themselves and decreases the likelihood of the performance upgrades causing a problem.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2000 MCSS, 2013 1LS & 68 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to ChibiBlackSheep
Definitely keep the warranty with just small bolt-ons.

2013 Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Show Car
2000 Monte Carlo SS - Procharged Project Car
ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Jameg1011

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary
I would say keep the warranty as long as possible so you don't get screwed for lack of a better word.
Jameg1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
IPF has sent me their Supercharger package, will be installing soon. 4K miles- Bye Bye warranty....However for a little extra I still have a powertrain warranty with IPF.

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
strych9
Gone Euro!

Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
There isn't anything on these cars that would break my bank to fix, and I can fix it myself. In that respect, I don't really care about that aspect.

As I've said in other posts, my concern is the devaluation of the car should I trade or sell it while it's still within the warranty period. Some would argue that the mods would add back some of that value, but I don't agree. I keep all of my pull-offs so I can put the car back to stock in the event I couldn't find the right buyer that would want the mods, and pay what their worth.

That's my opinion.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
My advise is to take care of your supporting mods first and then move on to the more serious power upgrades that could jeopardize your drivetrain warranty. That gives you some time to let any existing issues present themselves and decreases the likelihood of the performance upgrades causing a problem.
This.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
shadycamaro
Imperial Stunner

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS (IBM)
Unfortunately, I've had 2 prior GM vehicles that were 1gen releases (G6 & CTS) both didn't make it outside of 10,000 miles before having "major" warranty repairs & multiple visits (time) to truly diagnosis/repair.

So, I'm with the others... drop in a hi-flow filter/CAI, cut your lousy factory mufflers off, any other bolt ons you fancy... then sit back, save your cash & drop in a real power-plant upgrade once everyone else has done the leg work (R&D) , adjustments, trial & error, etc.

Make informed decisions
shadycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
There isn't anything on these cars that would break my bank to fix, and I can fix it myself. In that respect, I don't really care about that aspect.

As I've said in other posts, my concern is the devaluation of the car should I trade or sell it while it's still within the warranty period. Some would argue that the mods would add back some of that value, but I don't agree. I keep all of my pull-offs so I can put the car back to stock in the event I couldn't find the right buyer that would want the mods, and pay what their worth.

That's my opinion.
+1 I did the same thing to my 1LT V6. I only had it 3 months before trading up to a 1SS but when i did i took off my body kit, sequential tail lights, C.A.I., Exhaust etc. and traded it in back to stock condition. I told that to the salesman when doing the trade. I would rather do that and sell my parts/add them to the new car instead of the dealer taking them and giving me pennies on the dollar for what i paid for.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadycamaro View Post
upgrade once everyone else has done the leg work (R&D)
Good idea.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS, 04 Turbo Busa
Let's see my mods: Trifecta Tune, CAI, Nytrex-nytrous, GMPP mufflers and the drag strip as often as I can. At 51 years old my warranty may be up before the car's is. I got it to have fun with, it is not my DD. Speed costs, time, money and warranties. Now get me a posi setup and gears for this automatic V6 so I can put some big jets in the spray and kick some V* A$$. I am the CEO of an automotive repair center. They (dealers/after market warranty companies ) can and will find something if they really want to void a warranty. So enjoy your ride in what ever way fits your needs.
CAI intake, RX catch can, NYTREX Nitrous,RX Ported Throttle body, APEX air scoop & washer relocation kit,, BMR diff bushings, cradle bushings, driveshaft loop and tunnel brace, trailing arms, toe arms, Hurst Roll control, Flex-a-lite transmission cooler, SOLO HFCs, M/T 20" D/Rs, FTI 3400 stall converter, JacFab ported intake manifold and upper intake isolator (12/13) Solo cat back Mach X system (2/14), SS diff 3.91 gears (11/2013) Weld RT-S 17x10 & 17x5 (4/2014)
TUNING BY: HP Tuners /MATT@FSP
( 1.63 60' / 12.238@107.62 10/25/2013 )
Refusing to grow older, I just go faster.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
IPF has sent me their Supercharger package, will be installing soon. 4K miles- Bye Bye warranty....However for a little extra I still have a powertrain warranty with IPF.
That would be my future plan. Let me know how it goes.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Some would argue that the mods would add back some of that value, but I don't agree.
I'm not sure who would think that, I would stay as far away from a modded used car as I can possibly get.

Sure, there may be a modded car for sale that has always been babied, but most have been driven hard.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
you seem like the kind of person who wants his warrnety. personally this will probably be my last car i void the warrnety. its just to much stress on me. i would rather drop my car off and say fix it. and get on with my life. maybe later in life i will mod again.

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
you seem like the kind of person who wants his warrnety. personally this will probably be my last car i void the warrnety. its just to much stress on me. i would rather drop my car off and say fix it. and get on with my life. maybe later in life i will mod again.
Trust me, modding is a hard disease to cure. I have had vehicles in the past that were very very modded (blown, gears, suspension, etc...) and swore I was done. I have been good with the Camaro for the last 2 years, and only did a few cosmetic upgrades, besides the electric cutouts I installed on day 2. Then I did the stereo. And this week I ordered cats, intake, and will probably order ARH shorties this weekend (I want to not click submit, but can only keep my finger off the trigger for so long.).

So yes, I want to keep my 100,000 mile warranty, and great streetability. So I am trying to stay away from anything that will almost certainly void my warranty. At least when I've installed all the intake and exhaust pieces, I know I'm done, unless I choose to give up the warranty.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote