Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
pruettfan
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 333
2SS Camaro vs 1lt Corvette C6

This is kinda crazy but I can get a 2009 1lt Corvette with Z51 for $39,500 or a 2SS for about 36k. I am pretty split. I have a long history with the Camaro and love the connectivity, styling and history of the Camaro but the Vette is calling pretty loudly.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Phenix
 
Drives: 2006 DB 350z, 2007 LB S2000
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 63
What do you want out of the car? Performance or practicality? The 2 aren't really in the same league. Corvette = faster, better handling, sportier. Camaro = back seat, bigger 'wow factor' (for now at least...). Do you want a sports car or a muscle car? I'm in just about the same position, but I need a backseat, got a baby on the way.
Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10
 
TaylorRyanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,919
CAMARO!
__________________

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
zman302
DZ 302 4spd
 
zman302's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Z/28
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
This is kinda crazy but I can get a 2009 1lt Corvette with Z51 for $39,500 or a 2SS for about 36k. I am pretty split. I have a long history with the Camaro and love the connectivity, styling and history of the Camaro but the Vette is calling pretty loudly.
I know what your saying, there is one like that here, 38000 for a 07 vette with 3000 on it. Little faster car that handles better and no waiting on it. But at the end of the day its just an ordinary Vette, Right now the Camaro is the "it" Car.
__________________
1969 RS Z/28 DZ302 4spd
1986 Fiero GT
1984 Fiero 2m4
1993 Indy Pace Truck
zman302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
GTengineer
 
GTengineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Z06
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman302 View Post
I know what your saying, there is one like that here, 38000 for a 07 vette with 3000 on it. Little faster car that handles better and no waiting on it. But at the end of the day its just an ordinary Vette, Right now the Camaro is the "it" Car.
ordinary vette

To the OP. It really depends on what you need out of it. You can go with a car that compromises on some things and makes it better all around. Or go all out performance and have a more impractical car.

I was in somewhat of a similar position, I ended up keeping my POS 3.8L Camaro for daily driving (paid off) which has excellent MPG and get a bar-non, no compromise performance for playing on the weekends (C5 Z06).
__________________
2004 Corvette Z06
1996 Camaro 3.8L (M5)
GTengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
jpsuperman81
That's Right 478whp450tq!
 
jpsuperman81's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 2,334
I considered the vette too, but i wanted a slightly more everyday car. Also I wanted a fully loaded camaro and not a base model vette. And basically because I grew up loving first gen camaro's. Only vette for me would be a fully loaded ZO6 and thats what 75 or 80 brand new which is double my camaro. Assuming of course the ZR1 will always be out of my price range even though technically it would be the top line.
__________________
I would like to apoligize ahead of time if any of my posts bother you, I am quite a large smartass and very expressive of my opinion!
I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum!
Ordered Feb. 13 2009: 2SS/RS/M6/Sunroof/ Rally Yellow built 8/7 Vin# 33534, Delivered 8/26/09!
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,770
If you don't need back seats at all, I say it is a no brainer .. grab the C6 !!

Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,194
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The majority of people here will tell you to get the Camaro. I'm one of them. As others have said, it will be a more practical car. But if you are looking for a sports car, well the Camaro can't compete with the Corvette.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,435
Neither is practical. Both kick ass. Good luck with your decision. But in performance, the vette wins, but in attitude CAMARO all the way!!
__________________
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
TomServo
 
Drives: 2007 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Swansea IL
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman302 View Post
But at the end of the day its just an ordinary Vette
That's funny.... And I thought we all appreciated a well balanced high performance car built by Amarican's for American's.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
delius
David Hayter
 
delius's Avatar
 
Drives: F-body
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greensboro
Posts: 195
Well....the Camaro is gonna be badass ...the vette...has always been badass...but...its been on the market FOREVER.

The camaro has the explosive styling versus the similair vette styling we've seen for the past 30 years.
And I'm sure its a little less expensive to insure a Camaro vs the Vette.

Of course I am gonna say Camaro though...i ordered one.

But why not the obvious choice and buy....BOTH!!!

seeing how obama killed performance cars by 2016...not much time to get one of these beasts.
__________________


I want my camaro....NOOOOOOOOOOW!!! /turn yellow
delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Redvet1
Members Member
 
Redvet1's Avatar
 
Drives: 75 Vette, 07 Sierra, 08 vette
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
I considered the vette too, but i wanted a slightly more everyday car. Also I wanted a fully loaded camaro and not a base model vette. And basically because I grew up loving first gen camaro's. Only vette for me would be a fully loaded ZO6 and thats what 75 or 80 brand new which is double my camaro. Assuming of course the ZR1 will always be out of my price range even though technically it would be the top line.
The wife and I had been contemplating getting a new vette for years and had planned on getting one this year. Even when we saw the first Camaro in 2006 at a car show we weren't sure we would wait for it. Then we started crunching numbers on the price for performance. Practicality of 2 seats vice 4was not in the discussion. Then she said she kind of liked the mustang and wouldn't you know it the only model she really liked was the GT500 top of the line one. I said of course, but if we are going to spend 48K or more then we are going with the vette and she agreed so we had no argument there. Then we decided to just wait for the camaro, she used to have an 81 firebird that she owned and loved for 13 years until her son wrecked it and since the 69 is pretty much my all time favorite camaro we ended up just having to order the new one and are impatiently waiting for it now. I am with some of the other posters in that I did not want a base vette but probably a z06 and of course they are much pricier than the camaro. Even though I have an older vette and love them all, gotta have the camaro. My eyes are drawn to every vette I see on the road pretty much every time I see one regardless of year. Except for some of those ugly 80's ones. Lets just call those the dark years for vette's.
Redvet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
GMRULZ

 
GMRULZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
This is kinda crazy but I can get a 2009 1lt Corvette with Z51 for $39,500 or a 2SS for about 36k. I am pretty split. I have a long history with the Camaro and love the connectivity, styling and history of the Camaro but the Vette is calling pretty loudly.
Unless you need or may need the back seat, the Vette. Hate to say it as I was an Fbody guy since 1986 but, I`ve owned 2 vettes now and well they are all around a better performer. Thats why I`m keeping my Vette and getting a 2SS to cart the wife and 2 little ones around in when not rollin in the SUV...
__________________
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 AM   #14
Rock36
I just like V8s
 
Rock36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 919
I'm torn by this myself. You would never ever go wrong with getting a Vette, but the Camaro is the "it" thing right now. I myself am leaning towards a vette right now however, especially if I stumble across a great deal on a 06-07 Z06.

FWIW plenty of people use Vettes as daily drivers.
__________________
"Anyone know who sells the driver mods?"

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #15
willisit
 
Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waterlooville, UK
Posts: 312
This is a fair argument I think. I'm now looking at the Corvette as we're getting all of 100 Camaros next year. I know this makes it very exclusive but it also makes it almost as expensive!

Personally I'm thinking that the Corvette is the right choice. It's smaller and lighter (and easier on the gas) and it's a toy (I don't need the rear seats) so it makes good sense... the Camaro has something though; I just can't put my finger on it.
__________________
Dan
2005 Monaro VXR. Sport pac - Road Response Pac - Ripshifter
2004 BMW 320cd M Sport
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:18 AM   #16
songsj
 
Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: MPLS
Posts: 590
I've probably said this before but at 38k I'm into a gently used 'Vette. At 28k, I'm into a gently used 2SS when they are around and I believe they will be.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:26 AM   #17
upheval
All over the planet
 
upheval's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Highlands, Texas
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Unless you need or may need the back seat, the Vette. Hate to say it as I was an Fbody guy since 1986 but, I`ve owned 2 vettes now and well they are all around a better performer. Thats why I`m keeping my Vette and getting a 2SS to cart the wife and 2 little ones around in when not rollin in the SUV...
I agree. I am doing the exact same thing.
__________________
2007 Corvette C6 M6 Victory Red
Mods Edelbrock E Force, Headers, Cats, Corsa Extreme Exhaust, Dyno'd Tuned 552RWHP 512RWTQ
2009 Pontiac G8GT
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #18
ColoCamaro
 
Drives: Nissan 350z
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Roxborough, Colorado
Posts: 5
I jumped in the new Camaro, then ran over to the next dealer that had a nice 2008 Z51 about 10 minutes away. Camaro won, seemed much more modern inside, but retro out side. Then ran down to the ford dealer and jumped in a used Shelby mustang...hrmm now that was closer.....still debating what I will get.
ColoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #19
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...
 
CoolestCamaro873's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 567
If you don't need the back seat than its a no brainer no matter what the peopel on this board say. Get the Corvette. In no way shape or form is the camaro superior to the Vette except space. The Corvette is a supercar at a bargain price. I've had 4 Vettes and I loved them all. A GT500 shouldn't be a choice no matter what anyone here says, they are nice but lets be real that car could have 600HP it is never going to be a Vette let alone beat it. Plus the Vette is a true icon around the world not just the states. My best friend dates a Swedish girl and had no idea what a Camaro was, I said Corvette her eyes lit up and she knew exactly what I was talking about!

No need for rear seats get the Vette hands down! Plus when you go to get rid of it you'll get a reasonable amount of money back for it. I dread the day someone goes to trade the SS after 4-5 years and gets pitiful money! And, the insurance doesn't have to be more for the Vette, your record of accidents, your age, and the average driver age of the car are all factors towards how much it will cost.

My 350Z insurance cost me more than my Vette when I was 19 years old. More 19 year olds own a 350Z than a Vette which actually caused my Z insurance to go up. A Vette is an old man's car for the msot part, not because they are for older people just usually they are the only one's that can afford them. Just my 2 cents!
__________________
CoolestCamaro873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
Rock36
I just like V8s
 
Rock36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post
If you don't need the back seat than its a no brainer no matter what the peopel on this board say. Get the Corvette. In no way shape or form is the camaro superior to the Vette except space. The Corvette is a supercar at a bargain price. I've had 4 Vettes and I loved them all. A GT500 shouldn't be a choice no matter what anyone here says, they are nice but lets be real that car could have 600HP it is never going to be a Vette let alone beat it. Plus the Vette is a true icon around the world not just the states. My best friend dates a Swedish girl and had no idea what a Camaro was, I said Corvette her eyes lit up and she knew exactly what I was talking about!

No need for rear seats get the Vette hands down! Plus when you go to get rid of it you'll get a reasonable amount of money back for it. I dread the day someone goes to trade the SS after 4-5 years and gets pitiful money! And, the insurance doesn't have to be more for the Vette, your record of accidents, your age, and the average driver age of the car are all factors towards how much it will cost.

My 350Z insurance cost me more than my Vette when I was 19 years old. More 19 year olds own a 350Z than a Vette which actually caused my Z insurance to go up. A Vette is an old man's car for the msot part, not because they are for older people just usually they are the only one's that can afford them. Just my 2 cents!
Yeah I've priced insurance and the Vette was surprisingly low....lower than my Mustang in fact. That is because the average Vette driver has more maturity, driving experience, and takes more care of their car than the average Mustang driver....or in your case the 350Z.... I would not be surprised if Vette insurance would be lower than a Camaro SS.
__________________
"Anyone know who sells the driver mods?"

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #21
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...
 
CoolestCamaro873's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Yeah I've priced insurance and the Vette was surprisingly low....lower than my Mustang in fact. That is because the average Vette driver has more maturity, driving experience, and takes more care of their car than the average Mustang driver....or in your case the 350Z.... I would not be surprised if Vette insurance would be lower than a Camaro SS.

Thank goodness someone else who knows what I'm talking about! You would'nt believe how many people look at me like I have three heads when I tell them how the Vette insurance is the cheapest insurance I've ever paid on any of my cars!
__________________
CoolestCamaro873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #22
Indpowr
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Corvette C6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,028
I agree with a lot of the comments. Having had a Corvette and Camaros at the same time it is a lot of fun. The C6 is my toy and the 2SS will be the wifes.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
Analogy
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 184
As mentioned by others Corvette if you do not need the backseat. I have a 16 month old son, so I had to go with the Camaro. Now if you do not have any kids, no brainer get the Corvette.
__________________


Ordered 1SS/RS 3-2-09 1100
2000 4-24-09
2500 4-29-09
3000 4-30-09
3300 5-22-09
Analogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #24
Mark25
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette, 2006 Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 135
I love my '01 C5 Vette (with 17K miles on her) which sees only sunny days and weekends on the road...my '06 Stang GT is for daily driving...thought the new Camaro is beautiful, retro, etc., it's still not a Vette...drive them both and then compare...
Mark25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #25
bluman
 
bluman's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Corvette GS/'13 Mustang
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark25 View Post
I love my '01 C5 Vette (with 17K miles on her) which sees only sunny days and weekends on the road...my '06 Stang GT is for daily driving...thought the new Camaro is beautiful, retro, etc., it's still not a Vette...drive them both and then compare...
__________________
2010 Camaro SIM/CGM RS/2LT VIN #310 SOLD


2010 Corvette Grand Sport
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SEMA Camaro: Yellow Camaro Concept Tran Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 45 09-01-2011 03:19 PM
3rd Annual Corvette Open House at MacMulkin Chevrolet-WELCOMES the ALL NEW CAMARO!! MacMulkin USA - New England 10 06-09-2009 05:14 PM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 05:38 PM
UPCOMING CAMARO IMPORTANT DATES CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 125 01-11-2009 01:31 AM
Q&A with fbodfather (Scott Settlemire) regarding upcoming Camaro JustinZS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 22 05-20-2008 08:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.