Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

1st & 2nd Generation Camaros 1967-1969 Camaros / 1970-1981 Camaro

Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
Johnbotz

Drives: 2000 Silver Camaro SS Convertible
Cool 1981 Camaro Z28 Headliner restoration

My friend and I are currently working on a 1981 Z28 camaro which has only 9362 miles on it and has been sitting for about 20 years. A couple days ago we got it started right up and registered and on the road and now we are ready to fix the headliner any tips or tricks on how to restore the falling headliner? What is the best way to remove the vinyl liner around the car in order for us to move the liner back into place? Are there certain types of glue we should use what is the best?
Johnbotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
MLL67RSSS

Drives: 67 Indy Pace Car
Had to do this on my '84 Monte SS. I was unsure of my abilities to remove/prep/re-apply the fabric nice and wrinkle free with no glue seep through/messes without damaging the cardboard/foam like backing form board. Also didn't think spray cans of contact glue would work well. The entire backing form board and fabric must have enough but not too much contact glue sprayed on them and you get one-shot to try and lay the fabric down. I removed the headliner and took it to an upholstery shop and had them do the fabric and sunvisors, was about $125 or so. You can also buy a new board with fabric for just under $200.

(Example: http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/a...evy_camaro.htm)

You have to pop off and remove all the trim around the headliner; at windshield, rear window, over doors, a pillar covers, c pillar covers, sealtbelt anchors, domelight etc. It should then drop right out. If the seats don't recline/lay back they may need to be removed as well. As they say on Wheelers Dealers, it can be a bit fidgety. Just need to make sure you don't fold/break the flimsy backing form for the headliner. I think the shop wanted about $350 to do it all.
MLL67RSSS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
1981 headliner z28 fix glue