Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
yzark99
 
yzark99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Silver Ice 1LT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Yunkjun Zity, UrEgun
Posts: 354
LFX Ported Throttle Body Test

I got this on Thursday. It had the wrong last name on the shipping address. I wonder if they used that same wrong name to charge my credit card. No harm done.


2012 Camaro V6 LFX auto trans
1850 miles total, 10 months old
Green Filter on stock intake for increased flow
Solo cat-back exhaust

Stock throttle body

August 10, 12:20 pm, 75 degrees

From dead stop

Pedal: half-way down

Drive: below 35 was usual hesitation, pulled really strong from 35-60.
Sport: Not any quicker than D, seemed slower from 35-60, not impressed, will not use.


Ported throttle body

August 10, 6:30 pm, 80 degrees

On the way to test area, I thought I felt a small improvement. Same exact test area, same exact distances.

From dead stop

Pedal: half-way down

Drive: pulled really strong from 0-60, impressive
Sport: Not any quicker than D

I left it in S and took it on a 15 mile test drive. I got into a situation where I had to turn quickly to get out of another car's way. I was at a stop sign. Usually, when I floor it, the RPMs go to redline and the car hesitates for a few seconds. This is my experience with the dead spot, and it has nearly caused me to be rear-ended a few times.

NOT THIS TIME!

I put the pedal down about 3/4 of the way, and the car leapt forward and rapidly accelerated out of danger. The other car rapidly receded in the rear-view mirror. It felt like a V8 Camaro - when you stomp on them, they go. I tested this a few more times when merging onto highways, without the near miss.

The dead spot is gone at low speeds!

I also believe that this has increased the noise from my Solo exhaust by about 25% more, which is a bonus. (my windows were up)

I will be trying an extended test tomorrow in both modes.

Well worth $180 IMHO. ($150 + shipping both ways)

Thank you VMax and RX!

I disconnected my battery for the install, why chance a CEL? My old TB is going back to RX tomorrow, so one of you will get yours soon.
__________________
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
jameslk55

 
jameslk55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,168
Cool, thanks for the write-up.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Now all you need is a manual trans and you will be set!! :-)
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
ecko04
 
Drives: Too many to list
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Coast Runner
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Now all you need is a manual trans and you will be set!! :-)
__________________
In My Garage

'12 Volkswagen Jetta SE
'12 Chevrolet Camaro
'11 Harley Fat Bob
'11 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L
'05 Mercedes E500 W211
'01 BMW 328xi
'89 Chevrolet Suburban
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
awfarley

 
awfarley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,034
Autos are faster. (dear god here we go)
Nice write-up.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 6,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
I put the pedal down about 3/4 of the way, and the car leapt forward and rapidly accelerated out of danger. The other car rapidly receded in the rear-view mirror. It felt like a V8 Camaro - when you stomp on them, they go. I tested this a few more times when merging onto highways, without the near miss.
"Merging" into faster moving traffic is a skill that most drivers these days seem to lack. It really doesn't matter how many HP you have - if you don't know how to do it, you (figuratively speaking) are a hazzard on the road. Chances are, any "near misses" are the merging driver's fault. Main traffic has the right of way.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
yzark99
 
yzark99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Silver Ice 1LT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Yunkjun Zity, UrEgun
Posts: 354
Thanks for your comments, officer. I don't know how I got through 30 years of driving without you.

You try merging on a 50 foot on-ramp on a blind curve, designed by a city that hates car owners. Anyone else have un-banked cloverleafs?
__________________
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
yzark99
 
yzark99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Silver Ice 1LT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Yunkjun Zity, UrEgun
Posts: 354
Here's what I think of manual transmissions:
Attached Images
 
__________________
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
ecko04
 
Drives: Too many to list
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Coast Runner
Posts: 318
Driving school on an online forum...yep...that's what we're here for...
__________________
In My Garage

'12 Volkswagen Jetta SE
'12 Chevrolet Camaro
'11 Harley Fat Bob
'11 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L
'05 Mercedes E500 W211
'01 BMW 328xi
'89 Chevrolet Suburban
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
Thanks for the write up. Ignore the trolls that feel the urge to detour the point of the thread by giving their off topic opinions about manuals or merging into traffic. I installed the ported TB on Thursday and then drove to my parent's house to drop my car off with them for a week while I drove a company car. I'm really excited to pick my Camaro up tonight and be able to really enjoy the ported TB - my dad has been telling me non stop how much better the car drives since the ported TB was installed, now he wants to add it to his 2012 LFX A6.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Tozy
 
Tozy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
I got this on Thursday. It had the wrong last name on the shipping address. I wonder if they used that same wrong name to charge my credit card. No harm done.


2012 Camaro V6 LFX auto trans
1850 miles total, 10 months old
Green Filter on stock intake for increased flow
Solo cat-back exhaust

Stock throttle body

August 10, 12:20 pm, 75 degrees

From dead stop

Pedal: half-way down

Drive: below 35 was usual hesitation, pulled really strong from 35-60.
Sport: Not any quicker than D, seemed slower from 35-60, not impressed, will not use.


Ported throttle body

August 10, 6:30 pm, 80 degrees

On the way to test area, I thought I felt a small improvement. Same exact test area, same exact distances.

From dead stop

Pedal: half-way down

Drive: pulled really strong from 0-60, impressive
Sport: Not any quicker than D

I left it in S and took it on a 15 mile test drive. I got into a situation where I had to turn quickly to get out of another car's way. I was at a stop sign. Usually, when I floor it, the RPMs go to redline and the car hesitates for a few seconds. This is my experience with the dead spot, and it has nearly caused me to be rear-ended a few times.

NOT THIS TIME!

I put the pedal down about 3/4 of the way, and the car leapt forward and rapidly accelerated out of danger. The other car rapidly receded in the rear-view mirror. It felt like a V8 Camaro - when you stomp on them, they go. I tested this a few more times when merging onto highways, without the near miss.

The dead spot is gone at low speeds!

I also believe that this has increased the noise from my Solo exhaust by about 25% more, which is a bonus. (my windows were up)

I will be trying an extended test tomorrow in both modes.

Well worth $180 IMHO. ($150 + shipping both ways)

Thank you VMax and RX!

I disconnected my battery for the install, why chance a CEL? My old TB is going back to RX tomorrow, so one of you will get yours soon.
can you send the link for your throttle body please
Tozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
RatRacer
SWFL Token Truck Owner
 
RatRacer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Synergy Green LS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozy View Post
can you send the link for your throttle body please
http://www.apex-speed.com/vmax-cnc-s...fx-camaro.html
RatRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.