Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery All Camaro related pictures, videos and other assorted media.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #201
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman
 
Myka's Avatar
 
Drives: nothing now
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MO
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by acscamarochick06 View Post
Maybe they'll put the gas cap behind the rear license plate like older cars... haha!
I think that would be awesome. Unfortunately, I think that would put the gas tank too far towards the rear. Therefore, it would be unsafe. If you take a look at the frame of older Vettes(where the gas cap is on the rear), you will see that the gas tank is right in front of the rear bumber!

IMO, it's in the perfect spot on the concept. Maybe the V6 will have a traditional one and the V8's will have the concept one. I know that's a long shot. But it would keep the "suits" happy and the enthusiasts happy.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #202
Silverado
GM Guy For Life
 
Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
“Toe-fingers” I can handle, it's those dam Barney Rubble feet that creep me out...
"She has man hands"
- Seinfeld

I always liked that episode....lol.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #203
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,817
Gas caps behind the license plate aren't that great. The nozzles tend to not attach firmly to the fill neck so you have to hold them there. Very annoying. I say give me the same cap as the concept and let those who would spill gas use it as motivation to learn how to leave the nozzle in for 2 extra seconds to prevent drippage.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #204
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,413
I had the gas filler behind the back plate...it was no fun. Not on this Camaro...not for me. Leave it where it is, please. Yes, I know the masses will have problems doing something as simple as filling a gas tank and not spilling anything. Hopefully, GM will do it anyway and provide a handout (piece of paper) explaining how to properly fill the gas tank. You could go so far as to explain this as a non-warranty related issue...kinda like the tires. Then, when people jack up the paint, which they will, GM can say sorry....your loss.

And...if they don't cut out those vents, I'll probably see about giving it a go myself. The only thing is doing the finishing touches to make it look right. I'd rather have some inserts to put in there after cutting out the metal, sealing it properly so it doesn't rust....and then pop in a custom made insert to keep it looking clean... Then again, the insert itself would probably take away from the look.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #205
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The Vents aren't going to be functional. I'll find the video. It's to be an affordable car, folks - you really think they're going to spend time, and money with ducting to make them functional? That's not to say I wouldn't want them to be - I think it'd be cool.

As for cutting them out - IF I'm not mistaken...the first gens' were cut out, the scond gens had those vents on the sides for "engine heat" - those weren't functional, but they were cut out, the concepts were cut out....
Why not these? You really think they'd pull a Mustang, and not cut them out to at least look functional? Please. The prototypr pics/angles aren't good enough to see anything, anyways. Plus, who's to say that perhaps it was just an added step, that GM decided wasn't needed to be taken for a prototype vehicle?
On first gens. the vents in front of the rear wheel were not cut out, they came as either the plain indentations like you see on the current white prototype or with chrome and black trim on them with the exterior appearence package, but neither was cut out.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #206
Eisenhower
I drank what?
 
Eisenhower's Avatar
 
Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Join Date: May 2007
Location: check your back seat...
Posts: 416
Hey wait, did I miss something? Are they NOT going to put the filler lid on top of the right rear quarter panel? I don't see it on the pre-prod model photo...:(



If not, curse you GM!!! If so, sorry about all that.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #207
balonywolf
 
balonywolf's Avatar
 
Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 369
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
One thing I am happy with is the rear view mirrors. They're body colored and still attached to the body panel and not the window.

balonywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #208
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
On first gens. the vents in front of the rear wheel were not cut out, they came as either the plain indentations like you see on the current white prototype or with chrome and black trim on them with the exterior appearence package, but neither was cut out.
Clyde
My bad. I always thought they were.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #209
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,194
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
Hey wait, did I miss something? Are they NOT going to put the filler lid on top of the right rear quarter panel? I don't see it on the pre-prod model photo...:(



If not, curse you GM!!! If so, sorry about all that.
I don't see any gas filling location, anywhere. Perhaps the new Camaro is all electric
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #210
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast
 
acscamarochick06's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Posts: 807
Maybe it won't even NEED gas!!! How awesome would that be?! LOL
__________________
acscamarochick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 AM   #211
Eisenhower
I drank what?
 
Eisenhower's Avatar
 
Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Join Date: May 2007
Location: check your back seat...
Posts: 416
Well, as long as I don't have to throw logs into it...
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #212
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,413
Wait!!! They are building an all electric Camaro?!?!?!





Actually, I'd buy a hybrid....I said it before and I'll say it again. As long as the go pedal makes it LOUD AND FAST, I'd take one.

BTW, I have a good feeling that pic was doctored before being released by GM. I recall something being said, or hinted to rather, a while back by Scott about the gas cap. We were complaining about the b-pillar and I had mentioned moving on to the gas cap...somehow...and in some way, I was told not to worry about it. I have a good feeling it could stay put...maybe they doctored the pic to keep it a suprise?

Dragon, I'm pretty sure you remember something about this, right?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 AM   #213
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,194
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I remember it, it was something like "who said the gas cap has been moved"
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:18 AM   #214
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,413
Yeah...I know it was said...or something to that effect. And, I could swear it was Scott. I'm going to have to do some digging...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:02 AM   #215
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD
 
KILLER74Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 5,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
"She has man hands"
- Seinfeld

I always liked that episode....lol.
I was gonna post that too...
__________________

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #216
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Yeah...I know it was said...or something to that effect. And, I could swear it was Scott. I'm going to have to do some digging...
It was. I believe it was from another site, though. He didn't say yey, or ney...just that "Who says it was moved?" I remember that.

I figure it's a 50/50 chance the gas cap stays where it was on the concept. It's not this is a brand-new idea. Cars have had them at 45 deg angles...they have them on slants in the body lines. Hell - I've seen one where a body crease went right through it.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #217
Eisenhower
I drank what?
 
Eisenhower's Avatar
 
Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Join Date: May 2007
Location: check your back seat...
Posts: 416
The only problem I see with a rear quarter panel mounted filler lid is the possibility of rain water, snow or ice getting into the tank. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and think it ought to stay; the lid should just be flush with the body so to speak. I would hate to stand there and use all the paper towels at 7-11 just to soak up rain water.

Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #218
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast
 
acscamarochick06's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
The only problem I see with a rear quarter panel mounted filler lid is the possibility of rain water, snow or ice getting into the tank. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and think it ought to stay; the lid should just be flush with the body so to speak. I would hate to stand there and use all the paper towels at 7-11 just to soak up rain water.

Good point!
__________________
acscamarochick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #219
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 18,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The Vents aren't going to be functional. I'll find the video. It's to be an affordable car, folks - you really think they're going to spend time, and money with ducting to make them functional? That's not to say I wouldn't want them to be - I think it'd be cool.

As for cutting them out - IF I'm not mistaken...the first gens' were cut out, the scond gens had those vents on the sides for "engine heat" - those weren't functional, but they were cut out, the concepts were cut out....
Why not these? You really think they'd pull a Mustang, and not cut them out to at least look functional? Please. The prototypr pics/angles aren't good enough to see anything, anyways. Plus, who's to say that perhaps it was just an added step, that GM decided wasn't needed to be taken for a prototype vehicle?
just look at the picture I posted right before your post, the 69 Camaro does not have cutout vents. Starting in 78 and going through 81 the vents located on the front fenders of Z-28's were functional to exhaust the heat from the engine compartment like the Pontiac T/A
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-31-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #220
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Starting in 78 and going through 81 the vents located on the front fenders of Z-28's were functional to exhaust the heat from the engine compartment like the Pontiac T/A
Well...maybe a little...but they weren't 'functional' on my Dad's '79 Z...they open into a cavity between the engine compartment wall, and the body panel. There's no direct route to the underhood air that I can see....So, I suppose some heat could escape - but not nearly enough where I would consider them functional.

But, yeah - my bad on the '69s. I always thought they were fake...but cut-out.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #221
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 18,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Well...maybe a little...but they weren't 'functional' on my Dad's '79 Z...they open into a cavity between the engine compartment wall, and the body panel. There's no direct route to the underhood air that I can see....So, I suppose some heat could escape - but not nearly enough where I would consider them functional.

But, yeah - my bad on the '69s. I always thought they were fake...but cut-out.
I had a 79 also, and there were channels for are to escape from under the hood into the space you are talking about, and at speed there was a vacuum effect to help pull the heated air through.
still more functional than the 69 was.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-31-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #222
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by acscamarochick06 View Post
Good point!
Hey! You stole the words right outta my mouth!

Yeah...I wouldn't want a pool of water sitting in the gas cap location either when I try to go to filler up. Better yet, why in the world not just tap a hole on the side of the gas cap to allow the water to drain. I'm sure GM has thought of something like that. Just build it in a way where the water can drain into/under the panel. It'll still work fine.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #223
mikeyram
SSR / Camaro Fanatic
 
mikeyram's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Chevy SSR
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 8
The SSR concept went through several changes also. Mirrors were added from the Vette, gas cap location was moved, interior was changed quite a bit. The concept's body was wider and lower to the ground. The production SSR, not so much. Rear lights and tailgate changed. All in all I love the new Camaro and it would look awesome sitting next to my SSR in the garage. In orange!
__________________
"1 Badd Ride" #2231.
mikeyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #224
85convertibleZ28
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs cgm M6
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Hey! You stole the words right outta my mouth!

Yeah...I wouldn't want a pool of water sitting in the gas cap location either when I try to go to filler up. Better yet, why in the world not just tap a hole on the side of the gas cap to allow the water to drain. I'm sure GM has thought of something like that. Just build it in a way where the water can drain into/under the panel. It'll still work fine.
I thought the corvette had the filler cap on the back lid sometime ago, what was the trick then.
85convertibleZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #225
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85convertibleZ28 View Post
I thought the corvette had the filler cap on the back lid sometime ago, what was the trick then.
not quite the same recessed style, though...
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 07:10 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 08:05 PM
Camaro (concept) Press Release!! Pencil.Fight 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 4 07-21-2008 04:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.