Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
ColoCamaro
 
Drives: Nissan 350z
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Roxborough, Colorado
Posts: 5
5 Speed Mustang Automatic vs 6 speed Camaro Automatic

I am debating a 2010 Mustang or 2010 Camaro. This time around I am doing an automatic. I owned a 2001 Mustang Automatic, but kept thinking how a real car guy would get a stick, so now I have a Nissan 350z manual now. It is great for speeding around but when your in hilly traffic I just assume have the automatic. I have read the automatic times of the Camaro are close to the manual. Huge plus, since I hate the idea of speed limiter but like the idea of easy driver.

My question is....

What is the difference between the 5 speed automatic on the Mustang and the 6 speed on the Camaro. I am not car wise enough to know how the translates into real driving. Any help would be appreciated.
ColoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 10,525
the camaro gears will be a little closer together which is a little better for keeping the car in the power band when you step on it. it also means the transmission will shift more than most people are used to.

one note, though... if you get the V6 camaro, you won't have the LSD. i don't know about the mustang's rear
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
KJS

 
KJS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cut Throat, NY
Posts: 1,695
I own the V6 with Auto. This is a great combo, don't know about the Mustang manual though. The good thing about the Camaro Auto is that when you put it in the "M" mode (AND DON'T DO THE "PADDLE SHIFT") it is acutally a "sport shift mode" meaning it's still an automatic but holds each gear a bit longer and is more fun to drive.
Once you do the paddle shifting then you shift it through each gear.
So actually you have 3 modes: 1- Regular Automatic, 2- Sport Shift Automatic, and 3-Paddle/Manual.
__________________
"As ye sow, so shall ye reap" - Me

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
CamaroDan
 
CamaroDan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 dodge charger
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 73
Im thinking about getting the auto 2ss. Ive tested the v6 2times with tapshift and it mooooooves. I had a guy at the dealer give me a ride in his ss and it was fast. The auto does not shift untill you hit the tapshift that is the awsome part about the auto. If you do a slight tune and put a nice airintake in it it will be about 420hp or so add an exhaust and you got a 430hp kick some ass camaro. You also have to think about value the camaro will hold its value if you choose to sell later on down the road.Also you get a suspension system close to the corvette and may be able to interchange parts.There isalot about the camaro that alot of people dont look at.To me this car is going to smoke the ponys. :headb ang:



CamaroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
Mrbobcat
 
Drives: 2004 Nissan Sentra Spec-V
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 105
Oh wow, I did'nt know the auto had paddle shifters too. I thought it just had the same sport shift mode in the gear selector like the G8. I may have to drive down and check one out tomorrow. I was waiting on a manual, but would'nt hurt to at least take a look and keep telling myself "I can't afford to buy it today".
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
FordDave
 
Drives: 2010 Mustang V6 Pony
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 45
If you have the ability to wait, next year might be a better year to buy a mustang -- rumours of an ecoboost engine for the V6 and confirmation of the coyote V8 will make the mustang much more competitive performance wise.

and conversely, alot of these launch problems your seeing with the camaro will (hopefully) be sorted out by then. mustang has the lead on quality right now, camaros have the better engines...next year it should be a much closer comparison on both fronts.

my $0.02.
FordDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDave View Post
If you have the ability to wait, next year might be a better year to buy a mustang -- rumours of an ecoboost engine for the V6 and confirmation of the coyote V8 will make the mustang much more competitive performance wise.

and conversely, alot of these launch problems your seeing with the camaro will (hopefully) be sorted out by then. mustang has the lead on quality right now, camaros have the better engines...next year it should be a much closer comparison on both fronts.

my $0.02.
I beg to differ on Ford having the overall higher quality. I've owned two Mustangs and both have had rattles and wind noise showing up after a few years of owning them. Taking the car back to the dealer and replacing weather stripping and tighning some interior panels doesn't last long either.. I've had much better luck with the GM vehicles I've had when it comes to build quality after a few years. Not trying to start a war here but I have to say this based on experience.
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Boss330
 
Boss330's Avatar
 
Drives: Mustang
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I beg to differ on Ford having the overall higher quality. I've owned two Mustangs and both have had rattles and wind noise showing up after a few years of owning them. Taking the car back to the dealer and replacing weather stripping and tighning some interior panels doesn't last long either.. I've had much better luck with the GM vehicles I've had when it comes to build quality after a few years. Not trying to start a war here but I have to say this based on experience.
The key is the quality of the 2010+, not previous models...
Boss330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Vash


 
Drives: 00 Blazer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,104
Both of the automatics are fine. There is really no issue with either tranny as far as I know.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:28 AM   #10
fdjizm
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I beg to differ on Ford having the overall higher quality. I've owned two Mustangs and both have had rattles and wind noise showing up after a few years of owning them. Taking the car back to the dealer and replacing weather stripping and tighning some interior panels doesn't last long either.. I've had much better luck with the GM vehicles I've had when it comes to build quality after a few years. Not trying to start a war here but I have to say this based on experience.

Ford upped the quality of the 2010 mustang, which is the vehicle we are talking about here.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The key is the quality of the 2010+, not previous models...
Those issues I'm talking about appear after a few years.. You cannot know for sure how the 2010 Mustang's panels and stripping will hold up.. So you cannot make a statement that Ford has higher quality than Chevy when history is against you and the current model is that new. The 2010 Camaro has a very rigid body construction by having the read being all one big stamped out metal piece. The 2010 Mustang still has the same divided rear which is more susceptible to torsion. I hope both cars remain like new longer than a few years as that will make all of us buyers very happy..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #12
fdjizm
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Those issues I'm talking about appear after a few years.. You cannot know for sure how the 2010 Mustang's panels and stripping will hold up.. So you cannot make a statement that Ford has higher quality than Chevy when history is against you and the current model is that new. The 2010 Camaro has a very rigid body construction by having the read being all one big stamped out metal piece. The 2010 Mustang still has the same divided rear which is more susceptible to torsion. I hope both cars remain like new longer than a few years as that will make all of us buyers very happy..
That divided rear end is there for crashes, it is called uni-body construction. have you ever heard of uni-body construction or why it exists and why it's a good thing? please dont make uninformed comments and try to force people to think they are reality.

the truth is YOU dont know how anything on the 2010 mustang will hold up and neither do i about any new car that includes the camaro, so please dont act like you do. what makes you think that you know how the camaro will hold up?
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
hollywoodGU
 
Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Monmouth, OR
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
That divided rear end is there for crashes, it is called uni-body construction. have you ever heard of uni-body construction or why it exists and why it's a good thing? please dont make uninformed comments and try to force people to think they are reality.

the truth is YOU dont know how anything on the 2010 mustang will hold up and neither do i about any new car that includes the camaro, so please dont act like you do. what makes you think that you know how the camaro will hold up?
if you are smart enough to know what the sentences he used mean then by now you would be informed that he has admited no one really knows about the quality of either car 5 years down the line so it it not fair to say the Stang is better when no one, include you, knows. If you read his statements you would also find out that he has sited his own past experiences of the quality of fords vs GM cars and although that does not mean it will continue the same pattern, the past is the best information any of us have at this point.

PS Why are you trolling on our forums Ford boy?
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
0235th
Lol wut
 
0235th's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Cobalt LS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hattiesburg MS
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
if you are smart enough to know what the sentences he used mean then by now you would be informed that he has admited no one really knows about the quality of either car 5 years down the line so it it not fair to say the Stang is better when no one, include you, knows. If you read his statements you would also find out that he has sited his own past experiences of the quality of fords vs GM cars and although that does not mean it will continue the same pattern, the past is the best information any of us have at this point.

PS Why are you trolling on our forums Ford boy?
DO NOT feed the troll
__________________
Current vehicles
2010 Cobalt 2 door 5 speed
2002 Camaro V6 blown engine :(
0235th is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why aren't there any Aqua Blues yet? txcamarogirl 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 40 08-20-2009 10:05 AM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 04:38 PM
EVO - UK - Camaro vs Mustang camaro5 Chevy Camaro vs... 9 01-13-2009 05:34 PM
Mustang Premium Pricing Revealed Croathlete General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 56 11-24-2008 01:22 AM
Car and Driver drives V6 Camaro! Xanthos 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 63 08-26-2008 09:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.