Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
RADREVX

Drives: 2012 SS
ethanol free gas - what a difference in performance

put ethanol free gas in my camaro, did a fuse pull, im not sure which one made the huge difference though. mine is auto. i was at a light, started making a left hand turn, and just before i was exiting the corner i mashed the gas and the rear tires broke loose alittle. then the traction control kicked in. wow, is this do to the ethanol free gas? im scared to take the traction control off now lol
RADREVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
What brand of gas did you use?
moserbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Neto1978

Drives: 2011 camaro ss victory red
ethanol should give more power down here we use E-20...
ethanol free is more efficient tough...
Neto1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
RADREVX

im not really sure what the brand was. it was 91 oct though
Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
strych9
Nice rear end!

Drives: Not a Camaro
93 octane w/ 10% ethanol blend will make more power than 91 octane ethanol-free gas. You can't argue with science.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Ethanol-free definitely makes more power but the fuse pull was probably what you notice

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neto1978 View Post
How ya figure? Ethanol has less energy then gas, if both are 93 octane then the pure gas will make more power and be more efficient.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
TheNewCzar

Drives: 2011 SS Rally Yellow Vert, 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
93 octane w/ 10% ethanol blend will make more power than 91 octane ethanol-free gas. You can't argue with science.
Which would make more power, 93 octane ethanol free or 93 octane with 10% ethanol?

Honest question, I can get both near me. More specifically, is it worth the 25 cent upcharge for ethanol free?
TheNewCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewCzar View Post
Which would make more power, 93 octane ethanol free or 93 octane with 10% ethanol?

Honest question, I can get both near me. More specifically, is it worth the 25 cent upcharge for ethanol free?
There was a big fight about this on C5 a few weeks ago and I got banned after it but I'll be as succinct as possible and say that ethanol-free fuel should technically make more power than ethanol-added fuel, but probably not enough for you to notice a difference. I always use non-ethanol fuel (well, whenever possible) because it's better for your engine to do so (this is what I was taught, anyway).

Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
RADREVX

you get better mpg with it also

i would think 91 free would give more power than 93 with 10% but its only a guess. who knows????? plus it seems to run better but i have to proof of that.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
NoSloSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neto1978 View Post
Not true. Ethanol does not burn as hot or as well as standard gasoline. A quick bit of research on the net will give you more information than you need on the subject.

I compared 10% ethanol gas (93 Octant) to non-ethanol gas (91 octane) over the course of a month and I found not only more power from the non-ethanol gas, but better gas mileage (.5 mile per gallon).

Ethanol has been used as a alternative fuel additive to keep the cost of gasoline down and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. If we really wanted to go "Green" we would look torwards Biodeisel (made from Vegetable oil) as an alternative fuel. These will never perform the way we are used to in our V-8 engines, but for daily commuting the options are endless for the use of biodeisel engines.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
strych9
Nice rear end!

Drives: Not a Camaro
I was involved in that fight

All things equal, 91 octane E10 makes the same power as 91 octane non-E10, but the engine has to consume more E10 to make that power, hence the reduction in fuel economy.

The advantage comes with the octane. 93 octane anything makes more power than 91 octane. To my knowledge, you cannot buy 93 octane pump gas without it being E10. If you can, non-E10 would be the better choice for a better balance of power and economy.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
There was a big fight about this on C5 a few weeks ago and I got banned after it but I'll be as succinct as possible and say that ethanol-free fuel should technically make more power than ethanol-added fuel, but probably not enough for you to notice a difference. I always use non-ethanol fuel (well, whenever possible) because it's better for your engine to do so (this is what I was taught, anyway).
Belle got banned?!?!?

You are starting to act like me lol. I got banned for making a joke that apparently someone didn't understand...

As for the gas debate, ethanol doesn't make anywhere near as much power as normal gas. That's simple fact. Sorry to those that don't believe it. Ethanol was added to gas so that lower octanes of gas could be run at higher knock ratings.

And to the OP, it was probably just the fuse pull that helped you out.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
tramtwo

Drives: 2013 1LE
I want to get banned. Where do I point this finger?
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
Belle got banned?!?!?

You are starting to act like me lol. I got banned for making a joke that apparently someone didn't understand...

As for the gas debate, ethanol doesn't make anywhere near as much power as normal gas. That's simple fact. Sorry to those that don't believe it. Ethanol was added to gas so that lower octanes of gas could be run at higher knock ratings.

And to the OP, it was probably just the fuse pull that helped you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
I want to get banned. Where do I point this finger?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Okay, just to throw in the little I know, which doesn't seem to be a barrier to entry....

Regardless if one gives better mileage or not, in regards to how it burns, but that WOULD be the factor in MPG.......if it takes 10% more ethanol enhanced gas to produce the same power as non-ethanol, then that would be where the extra or less MPG would be.......

As for octane rating, once you have satisfied the minimum octane rating, any extra is just a waste in what you paid extra for the higher octane.

BTW there BowtieBelle, your ban was a travesty on justice. One regular did succinctly state "She knew better but kept going"............. I will try to remember that when I debate you on something, lest we both be banned. I am a regular "smart a$s at times so it is tough......

Best.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
bluebox

Drives: '12 1SS LS3 IBM/SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
Belle got banned?!?!?
You didn't know?!? The lack of Belle posts created a dead spot in the forum noticeable by all... Just don't take an argument into the oil patch again, k?

Now: Invo's on Nurburgs | Ext. Eng. catch can | heritage grille
Next: a few Pedders bits, tighten it up | better sways | drop coils, maybe | CAI, exhaust, JRE tune
Then I'm done, I swear.

bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Anyone know what Sunoco and Shell carry? I was using Shell 93 but recently switched to Sunoco 93, just to change things up a bit.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
Ethanol doesn't burn as hot or as fast as gasoline, therefore is less efficient. The bottom line is that forcing us to use 10% EtOH drives up the price of gas, making us less likely to buy as much, supposedly using less fossil fuels. The next step would be to keep raising it until the average Joe (or Belle) won't be able to afford to drive such vehicles as we choose, relegating us to the econo-sedan or bio-diesel crowd.

Those of us who aren't already might want to think about getting into motorsports. At least they can still make horsepower somewhere.

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post

BTW there BowtieBelle, your ban was a travesty on justice. One regular did succinctly state "She knew better but kept going"............. I will try to remember that when I debate you on something, lest we both be banned. I am a regular "smart a$s at times so it is tough......

Best.
Actually, a guy kept calling me an idiot, so I finally had enough and told him to quit being a jerk-- and the "d-word". THEN I got banned. But. Yeah. I should have just let him continue to call me an idiot, I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox View Post
You didn't know?!? The lack of Belle posts created a dead spot in the forum noticeable by all... Just don't take an argument into the oil patch again, k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Anyone know what Sunoco and Shell carry? I was using Shell 93 but recently switched to Sunoco 93, just to change things up a bit.
Look for a sticker on the pump. It'll say it has 10% ethanol (it's a law).

Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Actually, a guy kept calling me an idiot, so I finally had enough and told him to quit being a jerk-- and the "d-word". THEN I got banned. But. Yeah. I should have just let him continue to call me an idiot, I suppose

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. Apparently the mods here don't like people to defend themselves but if someone sits back and hurls insults at them its alright, just don't say anything back lol. Worst part about what I said back to the guy, I said in a very much joking manner. I even put in a smiley. Lol and I got two weeks for it. Gotta love it.

And I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a poo flinging competition yet too...
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
Quote:

Did you watch the ALMS race over the weekend?
Very competitive!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #23
Brutal SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Yesterday on the news it was stated that some politicians are considering a suspension on the ethanol standard because of how the drought has affected corn crops and it's overall impact on the cost of food.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:20 AM   #24
CPCNY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, VR ext/Blk Int
If it wasn't for goverment subsidy the free market would not support ethanols use.
CPCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #25
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Varies from state to state... for example here in Michigan:

"Gas stations in Michigan are not required to label E10 dispensing pumps, but are required to label higher ethanol gasoline blends such as E85"

http://www.michigan.gov/mdcd/0,1607,...3812--,00.html
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote