Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
RIFFKY9
 
Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 9
Unhappy Broke down already..

Just bought a brand new 2013 2LT/RS on Monday night.. drove a whopping total of 200 miles exactly until this morning on the way to work.

Driving down a 7 lane road going 45 mph the car just stalled and then completely died on me, leaving me stranded for an hour until OnStar could get someone to come tow me to the nearest dealer.

Had to be driven to work and missed out of pay because of it, so needless to say I'm beyond pissed right now..

OnStar's diagnostics check of course didn't help whatsoever, go figure. All the lights, gauges and everything seem to be on and functioning, battery turns over but doesn't start the engine. Everything under the hood seemed relatively normal, but then again I was trying not to die in rush hour traffic so I couldn't investigate too thoroughly.. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the service guys whenever they "figure out" what's wrong with it.


This is just sad. I was so happy to finally earn a new car and now I feel like I just saved up for a year to buy a big shiny new turd.
RIFFKY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
strych9
Nice rear end!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: Not a Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,988
Any new car could do this. A loose ground, loose connection, or something basic I would guess.They'll fix it, all better!
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
RIFFKY9
 
Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 9
Yeahhhh well they finally called me back...

Something in the engine exploded and blew up a ton of pieces, some of which are missing, others are lodged somewhere in the engine itself.

This is just absolutely ridiculous. 200 miles into a car's life and it's already trashed. They are offering to replace the engine, which is going to take at least a week, and then just send me on my merry way.

They better be prepared for a fight because there's no way I'm accepting damaged goods like that that I just paid 30k for.
RIFFKY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
VenomInside
Just Grazing
 
VenomInside's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 EB Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 644
Sorry to hear :(

I would be very pissed off as well.
__________________
2003 Corvette Z06
1984 Mustang GT350 - 1 of 670 Made (current)
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS 6MT (Sold)
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert 6MT (Lemon-Sold)
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 458rwhp/458rwtq (Sold)
1996 Mystic Cobra 455rwhp/400rwtq (sold)
1999 BGC T/A 377rwhp/360rwtq (sold)
2004 Silver Cobra 600rwhp/540rwtq (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
2012 zl1... the new 99 cobra?
VenomInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
strych9
Nice rear end!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: Not a Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFFKY9 View Post
Yeahhhh well they finally called me back...

Something in the engine exploded and blew up a ton of pieces, some of which are missing, others are lodged somewhere in the engine itself.

This is just absolutely ridiculous. 200 miles into a car's life and it's already trashed. They are offering to replace the engine, which is going to take at least a week, and then just send me on my merry way.

They better be prepared for a fight because there's no way I'm accepting damaged goods like that that I just paid 30k for.
I wish you luck. They are required to repair the vehicle they sold you, and they will. They don't owe you anything beyond that.

It's an inconvenience and disappointment, for sure. Doesn't matter if it cost $1000, $10k, or $1M dollars: man-made machinery breaks. Period.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Nvincent4708
Former 2011 LSX/SS Owner
 
Nvincent4708's Avatar
 
Drives: '94 Z28 / LSX Swapped
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Earleville, MD
Posts: 24,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
I wish you luck. They are required to repair the vehicle they sold you, and they will. They don't owe you anything beyond that.

It's an inconvenience and disappointment, for sure. Doesn't matter if it cost $1000, $10k, or $1M dollars: man-made machinery breaks. Period.
This


and they are replacing the whole engine instead of attempting a rebuild or anything.

Things that come off an assembly line just have bad odds to have a bad part here and there

look at my engine.. i had it fail because of a lifter blew apart and such.

You'll have your car back in a week or so, with an engine that has 0 miles. And i'm sure it'll be good from there.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
7thmaro
 
7thmaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1LTRS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 26
Like strych9 mentioned, they are only required to repair the car. If I where you I would look it over with a fine tooth comb before you take it back! I have read some REAL HORROR stories on here about the so-called dealership mechanics and the fine jobs they have done for other folks. Best of luck.
7thmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
RIFFKY9
 
Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 9
Yes but it's the idea that I literally just bought a new car and there's already a substantial mechanical issue and service record on that car now. Even if I wanted to drive it there's always the possibility that one of those "pieces that are unaccounted for," as the mechanic stated, happen to just be elsewhere under the hood and could cause problems down the road.

I'm sorry but I just don't accept the fact that I paid 30 grand for a product and it immediately is broken. If you buy a huge tv and it breaks due to a faulty part the store will not repair it, they'll ALWAYS give you a new one and take the old busted one back.. Now why shouldn't that concept apply to a substantially larger purchase??

They're already lucky it didn't cause an accident or they'd be up shit creek..
RIFFKY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Nvincent4708
Former 2011 LSX/SS Owner
 
Nvincent4708's Avatar
 
Drives: '94 Z28 / LSX Swapped
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Earleville, MD
Posts: 24,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFFKY9 View Post
Yes but it's the idea that I literally just bought a new car and there's already a substantial mechanical issue and service record on that car now. Even if I wanted to drive it there's always the possibility that one of those "pieces that are unaccounted for," as the mechanic stated, happen to just be elsewhere under the hood and could cause problems down the road.

I'm sorry but I just don't accept the fact that I paid 30 grand for a product and it immediately is broken. If you buy a huge tv and it breaks due to a faulty part the store will not repair it, they'll ALWAYS give you a new one and take the old busted one back.. Now why shouldn't that concept apply to a substantially larger purchase??

They're already lucky it didn't cause an accident or they'd be up shit creek..



They are replacing the engine as a whole.

Which means.. fresh sealed engine.

You cannot have broken metal parts from your old engine in your new engine.

And most likely it blew up inside of the block.. so I'm not sure how a part would cause an issue later anyway.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
STINGER BEE

 
STINGER BEE's Avatar
 
Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Great White North*****
Posts: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFFKY9 View Post
Yeahhhh well they finally called me back...

Something in the engine exploded and blew up a ton of pieces, some of which are missing, others are lodged somewhere in the engine itself.

This is just absolutely ridiculous. 200 miles into a car's life and it's already trashed. They are offering to replace the engine, which is going to take at least a week, and then just send me on my merry way.

They better be prepared for a fight because there's no way I'm accepting damaged goods like that that I just paid 30k for.

Tell them you want a new car. with only 200 miles on it.
__________________
RUMBLE BEE
STINGER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFFKY9 View Post
Just bought a brand new 2013 2LT/RS on Monday night.. drove a whopping total of 200 miles exactly until this morning on the way to work.

Driving down a 7 lane road going 45 mph the car just stalled and then completely died on me, leaving me stranded for an hour until OnStar could get someone to come tow me to the nearest dealer.

Had to be driven to work and missed out of pay because of it, so needless to say I'm beyond pissed right now..

OnStar's diagnostics check of course didn't help whatsoever, go figure. All the lights, gauges and everything seem to be on and functioning, battery turns over but doesn't start the engine. Everything under the hood seemed relatively normal, but then again I was trying not to die in rush hour traffic so I couldn't investigate too thoroughly.. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the service guys whenever they "figure out" what's wrong with it.


This is just sad. I was so happy to finally earn a new car and now I feel like I just saved up for a year to buy a big shiny new turd.
We apologize for the frustrations and inconveniences! Was the dealership able to diagnose the issue you experienced? Please let us know!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...
 
BowtieBelle's Avatar
 
Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 14,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvincent4708 View Post
This


and they are replacing the whole engine instead of attempting a rebuild or anything.

Things that come off an assembly line just have bad odds to have a bad part here and there

look at my engine.. i had it fail because of a lifter blew apart and such.

You'll have your car back in a week or so, with an engine that has 0 miles. And i'm sure it'll be good from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvincent4708 View Post


They are replacing the engine as a whole.

Which means.. fresh sealed engine.

You cannot have broken metal parts from your old engine in your new engine.

And most likely it blew up inside of the block.. so I'm not sure how a part would cause an issue later anyway.



Sometimes you're just unlucky. It happens. There's a bad apple in every bunch. Let them take care of you and then go enjoy the new engine.
__________________
"Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff." -CamaroSpike

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
motorhead
bars suck
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,335
That sucks ,but hopefully you have a good dealership that will get you back on the road.

Why does it seem like these V6's seem to grenade a lot? Or, is it just another case of only hearing the bad stuff?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
toesuf94


 
toesuf94's Avatar
 
Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
If you just bought it, turn it back in under the Like it or Return it policy. I would demand a new car.

Sorry about your bad luck.
__________________
Cars and women are both going to give you problems...but you can pay somebody else to fix your car!
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
68/2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL
Posts: 3,956
I would want a new car!!!!!!
__________________
68/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
kevin1106


 
kevin1106's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 3LT-Z51 Vert
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: La plata MD
Posts: 2,304
How long have you had the car? 200 miles, I'm sure it can't be but a few days or so... I'm with you! I'd demand a new car!!!

You bought a new car! Not a rebuilt new car with a new motor!!

What about matching numbers??

Man I'd be pissed!!! I feel for ya!
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
awfarley

 
awfarley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFFKY9 View Post
Yeahhhh well they finally called me back...

Something in the engine exploded and blew up a ton of pieces, some of which are missing, others are lodged somewhere in the engine itself.

This is just absolutely ridiculous. 200 miles into a car's life and it's already trashed. They are offering to replace the engine, which is going to take at least a week, and then just send me on my merry way.

They better be prepared for a fight because there's no way I'm accepting damaged goods like that that I just paid 30k for.
Good thing GM is now offering that 60 day "bring it back" style advertisement
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
imgntht
 
imgntht's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 GMC Acadia
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Western Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 19
I agree, I'd demand a new car. No rebuilds for me. I'd be paranoid from that day on wondering what next...sure it could happen to another new car too, but at least you cut the odds down. If this motor gave out, what else could have gone amiss in the assembly process?
imgntht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
james347
 
Drives: 2006 Crownline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: .
Posts: 708
Should be covered by the 'Happy or return it' something-or-other policy they have out now. Just say you want to return it and get your money/deposit back.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
Nessal


 
Drives: Lotus Exige
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA, Bay Area
Posts: 2,269
I got you beat. Broke a valve spring at 60 miles.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #21
Sin
 
Sin's Avatar
 
Drives: DEAD
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 352
Don't settle for anything less than a new car.
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #22
LimaCharlie


 
LimaCharlie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,574
A car has mechanical moving parts everywhere. Moving parts always have the potential to break, whether they are 5 mins. old or 50 years old.
Does this make it acceptable for a 2013 car with 200 miles to break? No...but the potential is there. Did you hear any abnormal sounds coming from the engine when it was new at the dealership? During your drive this morning?
__________________
2011 Summit White Camaro 1SS/RS
-6.2 LS3, TR6060, 3.45, G80

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #23
Brutal SS


 
Brutal SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dinwiddie, Va.
Posts: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68/2010 View Post
I would want a new car!!!!!!
__________________
Brutal SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #24
blue89bird
 
blue89bird's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 68 Camaro
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 122
While I'd want a new car, I don't think they necessarily have to give you one. As new or used as it is, it's covered under warranty and they'll replace whatever is broken.

That being said, if you bitch loud enough I'm sure they'll eventually give you what you want. You may have to go through various levels of corporate BS to get there, but if you push hard enough for a new car you'll probably get one.
__________________
Jason
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - 1968 Camaro - 2000 Ford Exploder
blue89bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #25
clg_98ta


 
clg_98ta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,701
Sorry to hear this happened to you, but getting a new engine is a good outcome. If they wanted to tear it down and rebuild (as they often do), you would have a legitimate concern...

My advice: let them replace the engine, take the car back and see if you have any further issues. If they damaged any paint replacing the engine, make them pay to have it repainted.

A failure like this is extremely rare (from any car company these days). I suspect that you will be happy with the new engine if you give it a chance.
__________________
Black 2SS ordered 1/4/2010, received 2/19/2010



clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.