Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Harry.S

Drives: 2011 2lt black Camaro
know nothing about car audio!!

Hey guys so I want to start improving the sound in my car, but I don't know anything about car audio at all.

I'm not looking for something really fancy just need bit more bass and better quality over the boston acoustics i already have. Would just 1 10" subwoofer and an amp be enough?

Also what's the difference between these two?

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Su...w-clone-1.html

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Su...e-clone-1.html

The second one comes with two subs and is only $24 more..is there something i'm missing here?

Also would it be cheaper if i just buy a box from subthump and get the speakers somewhere else?
And what kind of speakers are a good quality just for everyday use?

Thanks
Harry.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
Im looking at adding a single 10 to my Camaro in the trunk rear side enclosure. The first thing I'm going to change is the amp and see how I like it. The next step will be the sub. Some people desire a harder hitting sound with more bass than others and prefer a 12 in sub, but if you're just looking just to balance the system out by filling in missing low frequencies and don't play music at high volumes a 10 will work fine.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
Harry.S

oh thanks a lot that helps! what kind of amp and sub are you going to be putting in?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
Looking at JL audio XD700 5 channel amp, so if I add a sub, then I'll already have an amp. Ive ordered the FARK, factory amp replacement kit for the BA setup, from subthump along with the amp mount for the stock location in the left rear of the car trunk. This makes it a plug and play deal. The amp is the weakest link in the system from reading on this forum. The head unit and speakers are pretty good. I'm also going to use one of their enclosures. They have a shallow mount stealth enclosure or a little larger one that fits behind the rear wheel. Haven't decided on what sub to use yet. I'm not looking for a huge amount of thumping bass or a lot of volume.....just quality sound at reasonable volumes.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Harry.S

Sounds like exactly what i would want to do.
I was looking at the fark from subthump but there are two of them..which one did you purchase? Is one for 4 channel and one for 5 channel amps?

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Su...ement-Kit.html

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Su...Kit-clone.html
Old 08-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Steve@Subthump

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
1st link is for coupe, 2nd link is for convertible. If you drive a coupe, buy the coupe one and so forth. Basically our coupe kits have more parts because of the way the speakers are wired. You can run 4 or 5 channel amps with our fark kits.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Looking at JL audio XD700 5 channel amp, so if I add a sub, then I'll already have an amp. Ive ordered the FARK, factory amp replacement kit for the BA setup, from subthump along with the amp mount for the stock location in the left rear of the car trunk. This makes it a plug and play deal. The amp is the weakest link in the system from reading on this forum. The head unit and speakers are pretty good. I'm also going to use one of their enclosures. They have a shallow mount stealth enclosure or a little larger one that fits behind the rear wheel. Haven't decided on what sub to use yet. I'm not looking for a huge amount of thumping bass or a lot of volume.....just quality sound at reasonable volumes.
Great amp choice.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
Harry.S

thanks guys really helpful!
can anyone recommend a nice affordable 10" sub with the JL audio XD700/5 Amp?
Old 08-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
How much are you wanting to put into a sub?
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
Harry.S

i was looking to do something with 500-600 on everything including sub box and amp they can be used but is that realistic or should i save more?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Harry.S

bump