Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
VRYALT3R3D
 
VRYALT3R3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS RS //cancelled order//
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North America
Posts: 181
Just the facts: 2013+ SHELBY GT500 VS 2012+ CAMARO ZL1

VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
DRKS1D3

 
DRKS1D3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,790
And... Nothing new to see here: More weight, less HP...still a bada$$ car.
__________________
MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (LS3)--K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST, HYPERTECH MAX ENERGY 93 OCTANE TUNE, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK 20x9 STYLE 41 WHEELS

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
TOBY J
 
Drives: BLOWN CAMARO SS PORSCHE PANNY TURBO
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 262
GT500 is a beast performance wise but if looks counted it wouldn't be a contest. the camaro and challenger win that hands down.
TOBY J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
LimaCharlie


 
LimaCharlie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,602
GT500 is a numbers car, just like this video shows. However, the ZL1 seems like it is easier to live with and it stays *consistent* on all performance aspects.
__________________
2011 Summit White Camaro 1SS/RS
-6.2 LS3, TR6060, 3.45, G80

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
motorhead
bars suck
 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,704
The facts are that people will buy what they like regardless of what a piece of paper has on it. The real winner is measured by how many are sold and how much money is made by selling these types of cars. The camaro has blown the mustang out of the water in sales ever since its return. So I ask, who is the real winner here. I thank GM every day for bringing back the camaro and the ZL1 package. It forced Ford to build a better car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
gearhead08
 
gearhead08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 gt500
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: destin fl
Posts: 177
The sales did blow out of the water, hence Why I didn't buy one everyone and their brother has an SS, ZL1 not so much. At the time the power of my used 09 shelby took my attention over any new ss.
gearhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
C5RocksC5
Banned
 
C5RocksC5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sin City
Posts: 697
Again? So the GT500 has the overall better performance numbers...doubt any ZL1 owners care.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Bola1103
 
Drives: 2001 camaro ss
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston mass
Posts: 53
To be real the gt500 is the faster car and that is the main thing we judge these cars buy.if I ran ford I would have done the same thing.I said to my buddy a long time ago that if gm put a blower on a camaro it would smoke a gt500 I forgot that they won't make it too fast because of the vette.that's sucks big time. For me a mustang should never be able to pull on a camaro.but that just me
Bola1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bola1103 View Post
To be real the gt500 is the faster car and that is the main thing we judge these cars buy.if I ran ford I would have done the same thing.I said to my buddy a long time ago that if gm put a blower on a camaro it would smoke a gt500 I forgot that they won't make it too fast because of the vette.that's sucks big time. For me a mustang should never be able to pull on a camaro.but that just me
The ZL1's weight (4100 lbs) is a huge factor in its performance.
The Vette only weighs around 3300 lbs. So around an 800 lb difference (that's a ridiculously huge difference in weight).

GM could make the Vette considerably faster if they wanted. So however fast the ZL1 is, GM can easily make the Vette faster (if they want).
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Topher3134
 
Drives: delete me
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: delete me
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
The facts are that people will buy what they like regardless of what a piece of paper has on it. The real winner is measured by how many are sold and how much money is made by selling these types of cars. The camaro has blown the mustang out of the water in sales ever since its return. So I ask, who is the real winner here. I thank GM every day for bringing back the camaro and the ZL1 package. It forced Ford to build a better car.
\

This is both the dumbest and most intelligent thing I have read here in a while. I think you have a large amount of camaro buyers pent up because of years with no camaro. Also if you look at sales since inception the mustang crushes the camaro. I think the mustang has led GM to make the retro look camaro and put everything that it has into it. Hell GM had to steal cars from holden just to make it happen. I don't want a mustang...well besides a 13 gt500 and maybe a 2004 cobra in yellow. I wanted a camaro because I like they way it looks. We the people of the forum are the ones who can't leave anything stock and ergo who cares about whats faster stock.
Topher3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
PoorMansCamaro
n00b
 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 53,671
i guess i'm the only one that read the table at :52 seconds in?
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
L99CAMA2011


 
L99CAMA2011's Avatar
 
Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Masachusetts
Posts: 2,569
"who cares about whats faster stock." Good point. Which is why the ZL-1 vs GT500 battle is a huge waste of time when comparing the stock capabilities. Many even the manufacturers know that both these cars will have an increase in power from aftermarket support. Now let's see a ZL-1 with the similar acceleration capability take on the GT500, both cars capable of similar 0-60, 1/4 mile and so on.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Fenderaddict2

 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
The facts are that people will buy what they like regardless of what a piece of paper has on it. The real winner is measured by how many are sold and how much money is made by selling these types of cars. The camaro has blown the mustang out of the water in sales ever since its return. So I ask, who is the real winner here. I thank GM every day for bringing back the camaro and the ZL1 package. It forced Ford to build a better car.

Which car has the better margin and therefore is making it's manufacturer more money. Also, the last few months has seen the Mustang outsell the Camaro. Then let's consider sales of the cars since their introduction... See what I did there? Manipulated the criteria to declare a winner just like you. The cars like it our not win and lose in equal measure because the cars are by definition two variations on the same concept giving the buyer choice. That makes the winner, the customer...of either.
__________________





What's next?
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Which car has the better margin and therefore is making it's manufacturer more money. Also, the last few months has seen the Mustang outsell the Camaro. Then let's consider sales of the cars since their introduction... See what I did there? Manipulated the criteria to declare a winner just like you. The cars like it our not win and lose in equal measure because the cars are by definition two variations on the same concept giving the buyer choice. That makes the winner, the customer...of either.
If there ever was a post that was to end this never ending debate, then it would have to be the one I just quoted.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by epkmvuoq View Post
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
SSlut
 
Drives: Summit white 2010 Camaro RS/SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Little Rock AFB
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
If there ever was a post that was to end this never ending debate, then it would have to be the one I just quoted.
Agreed! That was well put!
SSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....
 
Ladybugsmom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 6,571
This is a pretty fair evaluation, in my opinion....



Overall, the bottom line is that both GM and Ford have produced exceptional cars.
I like how they keep using the word "sophisticated" when referring to the Camaro. Also, the part about the Camaro's braking system being far superior. If you want to go fast, you want to be able to stop, right???
__________________
High Heels and Fast Wheels!!
Ladybugsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
MEDISIN

 
MEDISIN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead08 View Post
The sales did blow out of the water, hence Why I didn't buy one everyone and their brother has an SS, ZL1 not so much. At the time the power of my used 09 shelby took my attention over any new ss.
The problem is your GT500 still looks like every other 2005-2013 Mustang on the road and those can be seen rusting on the shoulder of every road in America

The '13 GT500 is one heck of an engine. Hopefully Ford will do something with the rest of the car.
__________________
2012 - Present: 2011 CTS-V Sedan, A6, Airaid and Tune by R.P.M. = 515 hp/487 lb-ft.
2009 - 2012: 2010 2SS RS IBM M6 Photos, MGW Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms/Tunnel Brace, Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported TB, Kooks 6511-Complete (Headers, X-Pipe, Mufflers), dyno tuned by R.P.M. = 415 hp/412 lb-ft.
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
Xedes

 
Xedes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
This is a pretty fair evaluation, in my opinion....



Overall, the bottom line is that both GM and Ford have produced exceptional cars.
I like how they keep using the word "sophisticated" when referring to the Camaro. Also, the part about the Camaro's braking system being far superior. If you want to go fast, you want to be able to stop, right???

You're overlooking the fact that the mustang was the first muscle car to get compared to the BMW 3 series. A testament that shows just how refined the mustang has come.
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....
 
Ladybugsmom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 6,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedes View Post
You're overlooking the fact that the mustang was the first muscle car to get compared to the BMW 3 series. A testament that shows just how refined the mustang has come.
It may be more refined than it used to be, but that particular review still said the Camaro was more sophisticated. (and I am in no way hating on the Mustang! The only thing that made me get the Camaro over the Shelby was the fact that we were also getting a truck for my husband at the same time, and the Silverado Duramax diesel gets better mileage than the Ford diesel. For me, it was a muscle car toss up, I would have been a winner either way. )
__________________
High Heels and Fast Wheels!!
Ladybugsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #20
gearhead08
 
gearhead08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 gt500
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: destin fl
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
The problem is your GT500 still looks like every other 2005-2013 Mustang on the road and those can be seen rusting on the shoulder of every road in America

The '13 GT500 is one heck of an engine. Hopefully Ford will do something with the rest of the car.
LOL there are alot of mustangs your right, they didnt have to stop producing them to re evaluate their path they were taking. On the same note for something that came out damn near 3 years ago there are tons on the road. My GT500 gets lots of looks and thumbs up... I just dont think I would get that on a camaro cause they all look the same also you cant pass up the look from 2007-09 I think it looks best.... but come on your a chevy lover and I love all cars. So I think thats where the actual problem comes into play oh ya and it can spank a ZL1 pretty easily where it counts win/win for me. I would take a ZL1 though they do look quite amazing. On a side note I dont really see that many mustangs rusting on the road.... but maybe in 10-20 more years this statement might be correct. Also if you cant tell a gt500 from other mustangs then you obviously have your eye blinders on to every other car brand out there. There are many differences in mustangs just as camaros, challengers, chargers, and so on and so forth.
gearhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.