Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2 Codes and Question

I just installed some Solo HFCs.

I am getting the codes pictured below. They all indicate that there is something wrong with my post cat sensor on bank 2. I felt below the vehicle for leaks, and couldn't find any. But I noticed that the O2 sensor was cool to the touch as the bank 1 sensor was getting warm. This was on a cold start.

Does this mean that there is something wrong with the O2 sensor? Or is there something wrong with my mid pipe?
Attached Images

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
jeepguy_1980

I just hit the sensor with my multimeter and the heater element (the two white wires) was indicating an open circuit. My good sensor was indicating 6.3Ω
Old 08-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Drives: Mercedes
it means you took the stock cats out and need to tune it to disable the code.

oh they said no cel with their product? psh.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
it means you took the stock cats out and need to tune it to disable the code.

oh they said no cel with their product? psh.
The O2 sensor is legitimately broken. The heater element is regestering an open circuit and does not heat up. The left sensor heats up just fine, indicates 6.3Ω and does not throw a code. One of my O2 sensors fell off of my work bench and I think it is the broken one.

I suspect the heating element is a piece of ceramic or something and it must have cracked, causing it to be an open circuit.

Can anyone confirm that the correct part number is 12609457?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
I installed the SOLO HFC's as well. I got the same exact thing. CEL and the code was for Bank 2 Sensor 2.

In hopes of tracking down if it was the sensor or not, I took it out and moved it to the opposite side. Tightened everything back down and the error never came back. Its been about 6-7 weeks since then.

There's a possibilty that it wasn't seated properly, or the 02 extension wasn't sealed all the way. I'm guessing that when I tightened everything back up it fixed the problem.

Or yours is in fact broken and mine was loose.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
I installed the SOLO HFC's as well. I got the same exact thing. CEL and the code was for Bank 2 Sensor 2.

In hopes of tracking down if it was the sensor or not, I took it out and moved it to the opposite side. Tightened everything back down and the error never came back. Its been about 6-7 weeks since then.

There's a possibilty that it wasn't seated properly, or the 02 extension wasn't sealed all the way. I'm guessing that when I tightened everything back up it fixed the problem.

Or yours is in fact broken and mine was loose.
I'm about 90% certain that I broke it. I was checking for leaks and noticed that it wasn't the slightest bit warm. The codes I popped also indicated the heater element was the problem. Then I Googled some O2 troubleshooting tips and found this page. It suggested using the multimeter to measure the resistance of the heater element. I found that mine was an open circuit and that the #1 sensor was not. I then broke the wire insulation to see if I just had a broken wire, but that was not the issue either.

I found the sensor for $33 on Amazon, with Prime, so I should be good to go by Tuesday.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Drives: Mercedes
lol, sensor falling off bench is critical missing part of story!
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
lol, sensor falling off bench is critical missing part of story!
Between my initial post and my subsequent posts, I learned a lot about O2 sensors. I knew there was a heater circuit, but I didn't realize that it heated the O2 sensor. I thought it measured the heat. Looking at an O2 sensor, you wouldn't think a fall would affect it at all.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Did you use the O2 sensor extensions provided by Solo?

They should be on the "post" sensor.

Did your wires get twisted when re-installing the sensor?

I'd unplug it and re-plug to make sure all connections are tight.
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Did you use the O2 sensor extensions provided by Solo?

They should be on the "post" sensor.

Did your wires get twisted when re-installing the sensor?

I'd unplug it and re-plug to make sure all connections are tight.
Yes, I used the extensions, I have completely removed it from the car and took it to the store and then put it back in the car.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
ikey5582

Drives: 2010 camaro lt v6
hi

can anyone tell me what this code means?....[p0430] thanks
ikey5582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
ikey5582

Drives: 2010 camaro lt v6
i had a injen cold are intake on my car...took it off because the filter wasn't protected and got wet.so that caused my engine light to come on and the car was ridding rough...the dealer told me to take the after market intake or else that would keep happening.so i took it off put the stock back and my engine light still on...thats when i got it checked out at autozone and this was the code that came up...[p0430].......the slip they gave me with the code ance causes where this...definition....catalyst efficiency low-bank2.....explanation...oxygen sensor monitor the catalyst converters...ability to store oxygen..problem cause catalytic converter defective failure..due to either engine misfire or running conditions or large vacuun leak or engine oil leakage into exhaust valve guide...but i have no idea which one it is...i dont wanna bring it to the dealer so they can kill me in labor
ikey5582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6M Black-s/s
With a PO430 code it usually means a bad O2 sensor or cat, but I was getting this code because I installed long tube headers and hi flow cats with a 3'' exhaust. I never heard it coming after installing a CAI. A good tune fixed my problem. Did you have any exhaust work done?
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. Hurst short throw shifter, DSS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport swaybars w/HD adjustable links. Monster LT1-S twin, clutch, Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 60'.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
10 2SS/RS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
I'm getting the same code PO 430 catylist system effiency below threshold bank 2. I have no air leaks. Doug Thorley shorties JBA high Flows, Flowmaster thunder 409s exhaust. Cleared the code drove 75 miles code didn't come back on. Ordered 02 sensor extensions from Solo today,will try them first. Can't get tune yet still 1 year warranty. Any oyher suggestions.
I had my ECM tuned because of my mods and to benefit from the parts I installed, I have no warranty problems. Depending on what breaks could cause an issue though (even if it wasn't tuned it would a issue though).
With your mods you definitely need a good tune or that light will always come on and the main reason is to benefit from the parts you installed, you can get a good tune right here on the forum like "Jannetty Racing", good luck!
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. Hurst short throw shifter, DSS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport swaybars w/HD adjustable links. Monster LT1-S twin, clutch, Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 60'.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post
I had my ECM tuned because of my mods and to benefit from the parts I installed, I have no warranty problems.
Even if that statement is true for you, it's unhelpful, since pretty much everyone else will have a problem. Regardless of what circumstance you have that allows you to retain, or believe you still retain, your warranty, it's not likely that many other people will be as fortunate.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
10 2SS/RS 6M

Like I said "it's what breaks", that should sum it up, you put mods on your car it's going to have some impact on your warranty, depending the part, it's not just the tune that effects the warranty.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post
Like I said "it's what breaks", that should sum it up, you put mods on your car it's going to have some impact on your warranty, depending the part, it's not just the tune that effects the warranty.
That is a true statement. But the tune pretty much ensures that you lose your entire engine warranty, if not powertrain.