Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
Thumbs up iphone compatible

I picked up my new Camaro yesterday , and plugged my iphone into the usb connector and immediatly my car found it and all the songs , podcasts , everything displayed themselves on the main window of the stereo. all songs were in alphebetical order and played perfectly . Today I turned my bluetooth on , in my iphone settings and pressed the phone button on the stereo and it verbally spoke direction how to pair them together and now I'm handsfree from the steering wheel. hope this answers some questions !!!
glambert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
WELCOME and thanks for sharing
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert1 View Post
I picked up my new Camaro yesterday , and plugged my iphone into the usb connector and immediatly my car found it and all the songs , podcasts , everything displayed themselves on the main window of the stereo. all songs were in alphebetical order and played perfectly . Today I turned my bluetooth on , in my iphone settings and pressed the phone button on the stereo and it verbally spoke direction how to pair them together and now I'm handsfree from the steering wheel. hope this answers some questions !!!
Thats pretty cool
Old 05-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
camaro noob

Drives: 2009 Honda Civic
WAAAIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!

...iPhone 3G, or first gen iPhone? Cuz I read somewhere on here a while ago that the iPhone 3G doesn't work the same, only the iPhone OG. Hope this isn't the case...I gots me a 3G
camaro noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
I'd like to know this as well.

I have a first gen iPhone but my wife has an iPhone 3G. I'd love it if mine worked.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
1st gen works (mine does)
dunno about 2nd gen but would like to know
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
glambert1
HOMER

3 g

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro noob View Post
WAAAIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!

...iPhone 3G, or first gen iPhone? Cuz I read somewhere on here a while ago that the iPhone 3G doesn't work the same, only the iPhone OG. Hope this isn't the case...I gots me a 3G
mine is a 3g 16 gig works great
Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
iPhone 1st Gen - Ok - but...

Just like glambert1 indicated my iPhone (1st gen, sw 2.2.1) did connect to the headunit first time out - though the iPhone does display the "this accessory is not compatible..." message and asked if I wanted "airplane" mode which I pressed "No". I can play the iPod songs through the head unit OK - the menu needs a little bit of getting used to... The Bluetooth works A-OK and the quality is better than my previous car.

So far so good. Today on the way home the head unit did not recognize the iPhone - displaying only the CD and Aux options, including an "Aux Out" which I don't recall seeing before. I pulled over and first restarted the Camaro to see if it was a gremlin but no joy. I then rebooted the iPhone holding both power and home buttons for 10 seconds to ensure a full reboot - at first the head unit didn't recognize the rebooted iPhone (obviously once the Apple logo was replaced by the home screen) but then the headunit recognized the iPhone again.

Unsure why this occurred but at least a reboot of the iPhone seemed to restore the connection - perhaps a low memory issue on the iPhone.

Regardless - enjoying the Camaro and iPhone connectivity...
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 & booked for #5
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Scott Jones

Drives: Black 2010 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
Today on the way home the head unit did not recognize the iPhone - displaying only the CD and Aux options, including an "Aux Out" which I don't recall seeing before. I pulled over and first restarted the Camaro to see if it was a gremlin but no joy. I then rebooted the iPhone holding both power and home buttons for 10 seconds to ensure a full reboot - at first the head unit didn't recognize the rebooted iPhone (obviously once the Apple logo was replaced by the home screen) but then the headunit recognized the iPhone again.

Unsure why this occurred but at least a reboot of the iPhone seemed to restore the connection - perhaps a low memory issue on the iPhone.

This happened once with my iPod. I just unplugged the Ipod from the car's USB port and then plugged it back in and it recognized.

The connectivity and convenience package is great.
Scott Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
tjd24

Thanks Scott. I did try unplugging the USB cable but that didn't work for me - I saw in another thread it may be an issue with what audio device last used before shutting off the car - upsetting the iPhone connectivity.

I'm not going to be paranoid about it but more aware of what conditions may cause this if it repeats again.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I have paired my Iphone 3G through a camaro and it worked great. The only thing you cant do is send music through bluetooth. There is an update comming that will allow you to do that with the Iphone 3G, but for now, you can pair it and talk.
The cool thing is the range of the Bluetooth, it goes pretty far. So at the dealer training, they were sending music to the car through a Blackberry Storm, and from outside the car, and about 15-20 feet or so, maybe less, they were controlling the music in the car Changing songs, pretty cool
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:31 AM   #12
camaro noob

Drives: 2009 Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
I have paired my Iphone 3G through a camaro and it worked great. The only thing you cant do is send music through bluetooth. There is an update comming that will allow you to do that with the Iphone 3G, but for now, you can pair it and talk.
The cool thing is the range of the Bluetooth, it goes pretty far. So at the dealer training, they were sending music to the car through a Blackberry Storm, and from outside the car, and about 15-20 feet or so, maybe less, they were controlling the music in the car Changing songs, pretty cool
Dude, that's friggin sweet! I wasn't really all that excited about the Bluetooth update before, but now I can't wait for it! Oh wait...I still need to get the Camaro in the first place...lame. Glad to hear about 3G compatibility from first-hand experience. Thanks guys
camaro noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I have BlueTooth headphones and have allways hated that I couldn't use them with my iPhone. This will be pretty cool.

BTW, you can listen to music with bluetooth headphones if your talking on the phone at the same time. lol
Old 05-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
This is good to know.....I have an iPhone 3G, and it sounds like it will do everything in the car that I need it to.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #15
Ristaze

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6 Speed
I have an iphone 3g and it worked perfectly. Today I plug it in and it was not recognized by the radio. I got worried, but after reading this thread I went and REBOOTED the iphone and all is well.
Ristaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #16
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Yea just sounds like a handshake issue. No biggie it needs that for the physical data connection.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
tjd24

Glad to hear the reboot worked Ristaze and that the forum post helped.

I had no issues today & if it happens again I'll try to do a better root cause analysis...
Old 05-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #18
etrigan

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black Camaro
My iPhone 3G works great. Just wish I could call with voice activation.

VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9106795

1100, Preliminary order accepted:10/13/08
6000, Del. to me:5/20/09
etrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:19 AM   #19
glambert1
HOMER

voice activation

why cant you call with voice activation ?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:09 AM   #20
Johnyoder

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
Just like glambert1 indicated my iPhone (1st gen, sw 2.2.1) did connect to the headunit first time out - though the iPhone does display the "this accessory is not compatible..." message and asked if I wanted "airplane" mode which I pressed "No". I can play the iPod songs through the head unit OK - the menu needs a little bit of getting used to... The Bluetooth works A-OK and the quality is better than my previous car.

So far so good. Today on the way home the head unit did not recognize the iPhone - displaying only the CD and Aux options, including an "Aux Out" which I don't recall seeing before. I pulled over and first restarted the Camaro to see if it was a gremlin but no joy. I then rebooted the iPhone holding both power and home buttons for 10 seconds to ensure a full reboot - at first the head unit didn't recognize the rebooted iPhone (obviously once the Apple logo was replaced by the home screen) but then the headunit recognized the iPhone again.

I have this same problem with my iPhone 3g. Plug in the usb plug and nothing happens. Tried my wife's first gen iPhone and nothing. Tried the reboot and nothing. While I was waiting for my car to come in the dealer let me take home the demo car for the weekend and that one worked great with my iPhone. Looks like my usb port my need repaired.
Johnyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #21
tjd24

Happened again - this time after connectivity my Sirius Starmate 4 to the Aux port - the Sirius played just fine and I was able to place the dot antenna on the rear speaker shelf inside the glass (great reception btw).

I then tried to connect my 1st Gen iPhone - no joy - rebooted the iPhone and it recognized it - so unsure if its the USB or a sequencing issue with when the USB port is called upon for use after another Aux device or the Bands.

Its not a big deal so far - I would like to understand the root cause - if its "when you do this then this will happen/not happen" - but as long as the iPhone connectivity comes back after a reboot I'm ok if not alittle annoyed...
Old 06-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #22
Venom40k
No... not the SS...

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS *Red*
Is it possible to set up the stereo to play your stored music from the bluetooth connection, or does it always have to be connected by usb for that?
Venom40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #23
Bradhd2003

Drives: 2011 camaro llt rs
Can I use navigation from my iPhone

I have a iPhone 4 and I would like to know if I can send turn by turn dirctions from my phone to the camaro like onstar does. If I'm able to what steps do I need to take to do so?
Bradhd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #24
woolfman72

Drives: Black 1LT RS
yes . My navigon works by just plugging it in like you would when listening to your music. I just turn on navigon before i plug it in. Turn on ipod control through navigon and it works perfect!

Also keep in mind if you want to use bluetooth to transmit your music and such . You have to pair your phone up twice. One is for the hands free calling and the other is called gmusicconnect. Its two complete different set ups.