Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Nate GM
Rand Paul/Ted Cruz 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
How to make 2012 V6 faster?

I have 2012 RS Camaro with a v6 and was wondering how else I could make it faster? I've already put on Flowmaster Axle Back exhaust and will be putting on a CAI Cold Air Intake soon as well as tuning it. What can I do after this since long tube headers don't fit the 2012 v6? Could I have a list of things that I can do other than these and turbo and super charging? Because I will be turbo charging eventually when I get the money. And please dont tell me that I should of got the v8 or that I should just enjoy the car, there is a reason I didn't get the v8 and I have a need for speed. Thank you!
Nate GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Ported throttle body. Vmax iceolator. You're already getting the intake so that's done. I'd suggest getting a catch can to help your engine last too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Chevrole+

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyGamr2 View Post
Ported throttle body. Vmax iceolator. You're already getting the intake so that's done. I'd suggest getting a catch can to help your engine last too.

i have an LLT though, so long tubes is on my parts list. also might want to think about handling too. people dont think much into this, but i find the twisties more fun than the straight aways. and to feel a turn at 1g is amazing!
Chevrole+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyGamr2 View Post
Vmax iceolator.
Only for LLT I believe.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
butters
It's not the batmobile!

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Wagner View Post
I have 2012 RS Camaro with a v6 and was wondering how else I could make it faster?
Click Here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148
Old 08-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
From a bolt on stand point all that would really left is a ported throttle body and an intake scoop. After that suspension upgrades, gearing, and weight reduction (particularly unsprung weight) would be helpful.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Sell it and buy a v8
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
Sell it and buy a v8

OP, after you cover the bolt ons be sure to look at weight reduction and suspension upgrades like Chase said. Lighter wheels and tires will help a lot. Trailing arms and an upgraded rear sway bar will help it hook up nicely.
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk350 View Post
Only for LLT I believe.
Thought that might be the case. Thanks.
At least there's still the throttle body. And I forgot about a scoop for your intake. I've been wanting to get one.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Nate GM
Rand Paul/Ted Cruz 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
Sell it and buy a v8
Like I said there is a reason why I can't buy a v8, I can afford it just fine but because of insurance purposes I can't, not going into it any further.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Nate GM
Rand Paul/Ted Cruz 2016

Thanks for all of the helpful responses guys, I've gotten some good ideas.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
The 2010 and 2011 V6s finally have a fairly decent list of mods available. Take it from someone who was in this from the beginning...we didn't have squat for a very long time. Exhaust, and intake was it for a long while. Then came headers, and then a tune...and then so on and so forth.

You really should have posted this in the LFX section, but hey we all make mistakes.

As for your car, you've got intake, exhaust, ported throttle body, and tune available for you. In the future, I'd expect to see a bolt on high flow cat set from SOLO performance for the LFX. I don't think it is yet available, but it might be. Otherwise, if your OK hacking up your stock cats/downpipe you could just cut them off and replace with a single set of highflow cats.

Sure, its not a ton of mods, but b/c of where the LFX starts from, all of this would pretty much be the equivalent of an LLT with exhaust, intake, tune, headers, ported TB, ported manifold, and manifold spacer. Figure around 340 to 350 HP for both above scenarios.

The only other (big) N/A mod left is cams and ported heads which is just now available for the LLT. If this works out as well as we all hope for the LLT, you can bet a set will eventually be made for the LFX.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
I can't believe questions like this still get asked. Go on the dyno sticky and 1/4 mile thread and see what other guys have done. Now with cams out with full porting you don't have to spend a ton to play with the top rollers.

------------------------------------
Jay@Mace Engineering USA
Direct Email//Google Talk: Velocityport410@gmail.com
Home of the 31hp/33tq 25mm insulator/stg-3 ported manifold.

Drives: 2013 5.0 GT MT82 DIBM. Premium package//Track App//Navigation with back up camera//JLT oil seperator//Ford Racing GT500 AB//Ford Racing Strut//Ford Racing Procal.
12.4@114! With 2.0 60ft on all season street tires only at 500 miles easy 11's with drag and CAI! With full warranty intact. Gotta love it!
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I once drove an SS, it made my man land a solid 3 inches larger, true story.

In all seriousness though, I second what KM said.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
decepticon-vert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to decepticon-vert
regardless of what you get, you really need to get the catch can on there as soon as possible. This engines gunk up and while this gadget wont help you beat the neighboors mustang it will help you keep your engine running clean. I hope by time you read this you order for a catch can has been placed. BTW you dont need to blow a ton of cash on one either but if youre going to turbo it get one that works for that.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by decepticon-vert View Post
regardless of what you get, you really need to get the catch can on there as soon as possible. This engines gunk up and while this gadget wont help you beat the neighboors mustang it will help you keep your engine running clean. I hope by time you read this you order for a catch can has been placed. BTW you dont need to blow a ton of cash on one either but if youre going to turbo it get one that works for that.
2nd on the catch can.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green SE
Try some meth........anol injection
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #19
kenredconvert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1Lt RS red convertable
excuse my ignorance, but what is a catch can?
kenredconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #20
WCoolBreeze
2LT/RS RJT

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT W/CGM Rally Stripes
This thread should be moved to the LFX section, they yelled enough to get one and now they do not even use it.

Walt B.

Mods Done
CGM Gills, "RS" in both headrests, GMPP Exhaust w/Tips, RJT XM Antenna, RS Foglight/DRL Plug/Play Harness, Leather E-Brake Boot & Auto Boot, HUD Installed, Full ABL doors & Dash, RJT Heritage Grill, T-Rex Lower Grill, Roto-Fab CAI (RJT), W/W Reservoir, V-6 Radiator Cover (RJT), ADM Race Air Scoop, GM Cupholder & Footwell LEDs, Retrofit GM MyLink (w/Nav), Frameless Rearview Mirror, Backup Camera, T-5 Splitter, and Conv Spoiler.
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Try some meth........anol injection
First glance def thought you said anal injection

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenredconvert View Post
excuse my ignorance, but what is a catch can?

An oil catch can is used in (but not always) high-performance race applications where excessive blow-by (leakage past the piston rings) of air and fuel vapor occurs. This creates a positive pressure in the crankcase. Engine manufactures have placed a valve on the engine block which releases this pressure. This valve is known as a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off. However, some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a "gunk." The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake. Typically the blow-by gasses are passed through a wire mesh, which give the vapor droplets something to adhere to. Since the oil catch cans condense the vapor portion of the gasses, they will need to be drained periodically of all the oil, fuel and other contaminants.

In summary, get an oil catch can ASAP.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
rangomr

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT V6 Convertible
Quote:
First glance def thought you said anal injection

An oil catch can is used in (but not always) high-performance race applications where excessive blow-by (leakage past the piston rings) of air and fuel vapor occurs. This creates a positive pressure in the crankcase. Engine manufactures have placed a valve on the engine block which releases this pressure. This valve is known as a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off. However, some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a "gunk." The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake. Typically the blow-by gasses are passed through a wire mesh, which give the vapor droplets something to adhere to. Since the oil catch cans condense the vapor portion of the gasses, they will need to be drained periodically of all the oil, fuel and other contaminants.

In summary, get an oil catch can ASAP.

Thanks so much for telling some of us what a catch can is and how it works. Is this something that a average person (that does not work on engines) could I put this on or would I need a dealer? Plus assume it's a plus for the warranty. Where is the best place to buy one?
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #23
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangomr View Post
Thanks so much for telling some of us what a catch can is and how it works. Is this something that a average person (that does not work on engines) could I put this on or would I need a dealer? Plus assume it's a plus for the warranty. Where is the best place to buy one?
Not hard at all to install. There are lots of installation photos floating around here that you could take a look at. Look at purchasing the RX catch can or the Mike Norris Elite catch can. Not cheap, but they work well.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #24
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Not hard at all to install. There are lots of installation photos floating around here that you could take a look at. Look at purchasing the RX catch can or the Mike Norris Elite catch can. Not cheap, but they work well.

Install is pretty simple. Get the Rx Catch Can. If there is one thing that Rx produces that is above the competitors in function and actual quality, it's their catch can. When I was at Tracy's shop he was showing me a lot of the catch cans he has bought and sliced open to see how they're designed. A few of those cans are completely empty, a Coke can would work just as good.. I'm sure the Mike Norris one works great too, but I personally have the Rx can and it's great.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #25
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:

I just read the write up on your car in CamaroNow. Very cool.