Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #201
Tal

Drives: Old
That's a nice trick for some added visibility. GM could really do a lot by simply moving the wiring harness/plug back just a little bit into the headliner so that stupid plastic cover wasn't so thick and limiting the mirror's upward adjustability so much. Actually they could probably cut costs and get rid of the plastic entirely if the plug was moved, the wires would need to be sheathed into one covered bundle but not hard plastic like the current solution.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #202
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Im 5'10", I can get away with not doing the mirror flip, but I did it today, and it really helps. Now it's definitely bareable!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:05 AM   #203
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
This reminds me of the same kind of thing with my RX8; tall mirror curved on the bottom that blocks forward visibility. It makes no sense because right above the mirror is an overhead console which is where the stupid buttons should be. I don't need to see half the back seat and I sure don't need to see the buttons on the bottom of the mirror. Cut the mirror in half so that only the rear window is visible and move the buttons onto the overhead console which is there for you know...buttons.

I'm getting a 1SS so I guess I'll get the different mirror but I'm always interested in better forward visibility so I'll be looking carefully at a better solution once I get my car. This is something GM should fix though; redo the overhead console panel, move the controls now in the mirror to the overhead console instead, cut height of mirror almost in half; dramatically improve forward visibility.

BIG CLUE TO AUTO DESIGNERS: if the rearview mirror presents such an obstacle to forward visibility that the driver has to physically move around to see AROUND THE MIRROR for safety, then the MIRROR IS UNSAFE and needs redesigning. The "rearview" mirror is for viewing out through the rear window; it's not for buttons, controls or anything else.

Been one of my pet peeves for years; glad I'm not the only one and I totally sympathize with the OP.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #204
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
Steve da Wrench did the mirror flip mod on our 5th Gen this week. It makes a BIG difference both in visibility and appearance. Definitely worth doing!

http://modernclassicsauto.com
'68 Chevelle Malibu Coupe; '67 Chevelle Wagon; '99 Convertible Camaro SS #0069; '02 Z06; '06 Silverado Crew Cab 2500 4x4 dually; '14 Sonic RS Hatchback
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #205
Moth

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT/RS camaro
i rather go with no rear view haah
Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #206
MY1STSS

Drives: Waiting impatiently for Blk2SS
are u still able to press the buttons?
MY1STSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #207
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
i rather go with no rear view haah
Good luck with that. Visibility is bad as it is... take away the rear view and you might as well lower insurance deductibles to 0... you're gonna need it!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #208
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STSS View Post
are u still able to press the buttons?
buttons are totally usable.

thanks folks for posting the positive comments!

on a funny note... i got to apologize to the Prius driver today! turns out he lives in my neighborhood!
he was totally cool. he said he was scared of my car 'cause it looked so pissed off (mean)
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #209
hamburgers

Drives: 2010 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGn63 View Post
GM, if you are listening, please address this issue for ALL Camaros… now. Hey, I said Please!
GM cannot fix your driving problem; honestly...i'm 6'4 and i can adjust the seat to sink down so low that i can barely see over the steering wheel. This car is very versatile for anyone big or small. I suggest you use even more caution than you did at the stop sign from now on.
hamburgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #210
OddJob

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburgers View Post
GM cannot fix your driving problem; honestly...i'm 6'4 and i can adjust the seat to sink down so low that i can barely see over the steering wheel. This car is very versatile for anyone big or small. I suggest you use even more caution than you did at the stop sign from now on.
You pulled a thread that is ~3 months old in order to post your very first reply? Ok, then.
OddJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:52 AM   #211
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJob View Post
You pulled a thread that is ~3 months old in order to post your very first reply? Ok, then.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #212
lemurgirl454

Drives: Victory Red 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGn63 View Post
Thanks to all that provide help or some serious thought to a resolution.

To those of you do not have problems seeing… I am TRULY happy that you do not have this problem.

To those who feel it necessary to bash me for making an honest plea for help… write back when you hit puberty!
Sorry, but I couldn’t resist… I just cant SEE how criticism of me gives any help at all… but maybe I cant SEE it because this DARN MIRROR is in the way!
Well, I'm 5'7" and I have trouble too! I think I really noticed it while at a 4 way stop as well. I also noticed that window (front) panel by the passenger is tough too. It's usually the car to my right that I have a problem seeing. I thought it was just me.

Oh well, I keep telling myself it's just a matter of getting used to the car. I've owned Mustangs for years and have barely owned the new Camaro for a month. It's like everything else...it takes practice and patients. It's so worth it!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #213
u812

Drives: 2010 Camero
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I think he is saying he wants to replace his mirror with a different one but is concerned about losing the onstar??

I take it as he is not happy about the blind spot. Its the price you pay for driving this car. Try driving a corvette. In the mirror you see into the trunk, the entire top of the car and a dental floss line that is out the back window. Not to mention the side view blind spots. This aint your mommas caddy here, you have to pay closer attention and deal with the slightly obstructed view.
Frankly I thought the RV mirror mod looks great and something GM could learn from. The on-star button could go on the dash
u812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #214
toetter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS CGM 6M
I just took delivery on 11-12. My mirror is barely 9" by 3.5". It was also already all the way in the up position. I am 6'1" and did not even notice it! The rearview mirror never even stuck out to me nor did I think "that is huge". I wonder if they changed it a bit for the ones just off the line?
toetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:38 AM   #215
MartiMcFly

Drives: 2SS-RS
lol, I hope you do not use a navigation system that attaches to the windshield.
MartiMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #216
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
I finally flipped my mirror today and it's such a relief! In the stock position it not only looks stupid and rounded and droopy with the shape contradicting the shape of the back window that's reflected in it but it's definitely dangerous. It's like it was designed by someone that has never used and never will use a mirror or a windshield. I can't believe that a company that is as obsessed with safety as I know that GM is would make such a huge mistake. I'm a little appalled by people here that admit there's a problem but say you just have to get used to it but I'm genuinely frightened by the people that say they don't have a problem with their mirror at all! They're actually driving down the road totally unaware that they can't see out of half their windshield at this very moment! I've had a full size van totally behind my mirror and almost pulled right into the side of it! I fixed mine finally and feel so much better!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #217
camero

I took some pictures that show how much of an improvement the mirror flip fix really is! I feel like I can actually see out now!

Last edited by camero; 05-25-2010 at 09:32 AM.
camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #218
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Dude! Geeze... take it from me - I'm 900 freggin' feet tall. Just adjust the height of your SEAT and the blind spot will disapear. Surprised you didn't try that first. And don't forget that how close your seat is to the dash board also affects your viewing angle. Sitting closer to the window will give you a wider and taller view but may not be as comfortable.

Trust me, the enginners thought about all of this already. ADJUST YOUR SEAT!.

lordy!
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #219
dplyttle

Drives: 2SS RS Black with Cyber Gray Stripe
I kind of agree with the mirror being a blind spot. I am 6 foot tall and have my seat all the way down. Short of reclining the seat all the way to the back the rear view mirror poses a blind spot for me. I just have to duck my head a bit when at a traffic stop. I like the flipping of the mirror DIY and may give it a whirl at a later date if the issue still bugs me.
dplyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #220
camero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
Dude! Geeze... take it from me - I'm 900 freggin' feet tall. Just adjust the height of your SEAT and the blind spot will disapear. Surprised you didn't try that first. And don't forget that how close your seat is to the dash board also affects your viewing angle. Sitting closer to the window will give you a wider and taller view but may not be as comfortable.

Trust me, the enginners thought about all of this already. ADJUST YOUR SEAT!.

lordy!
Do you talk to people as if they are idiots in real life or only on the internet?
How many people have to post on how many pages that they adjusted their seat and the mirror is still in the middle of the windshield? I don't care how many engineers "thought about it" the mirror is still twice as big as it needs to be to see the back window and is impossible to raise up to the top of the windshield without flipping it. I don't even know how you can argue with any of this.

Last edited by camero; 05-25-2010 at 09:33 AM.
camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #221
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to StlRomAniaN
The reason you're almost t-boning cars is that you're taking pictures while driving!

Pre-ordered on October 24, 2008

Inferno Orange Metallic 2SS/RS
Auto w/ TAPshift
=
funnnnnn, just like Megan Fox!

1100 = Preliminary Order: 10-24-09
2000 = Accepted by GM: 3-30-09
2500 = Referenced: 3-31-09
3000 = Accepted by Production Control: 4-18-09
3100 = Sequenced: 5-1-09
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5-12-09
3400 = Broadcast: 5-19-09
3800 = Produced: 5-27-09 VIN# 12768
4000 = Available to Ship: --
4200 = Shipped: --
5000 = Delivered to Dealer: --
6000 = Delivered to Customer: --
StlRomAniaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #222
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I need to do something about the mirror in mine also ( and my mirror is already smaller than the one the OP has)
I am only 6 feet tall and I already have the seat as low as it goes and that mirror still sometimes blocks visibility.

What I'd like to do is relocate the onstar buttons to someplace else such as up on the overhead console then get a very slim mirror. (this mirror is easily twice the height it needs to be for our small back window)
Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #223
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 14 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, AudiQ53.0T
Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #224
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
Thanks for the mirror flip idea. Making right turns in the cars I have test driven was like driving blindfolded. I'm 6'8 and had the seat all the way down.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #225
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
Just got my car.

Thanks for the flip idea, a lot better. I've been searching the forums for a replacement mirror or some solution. I'd really like to add a back up cam.

The mirror (sorta fixed), the seatbelts (sorta fixed with the nylon solution), and the lack of push button start (guess I'm stuck here, but gd economy cars half the price have push button doors/start).. are pissing me off.

Thought I just needed to get used to these annoyances, but they really are designed poorly. Love the car otherwise.
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote