Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #51
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
they dont use salt where Im at in WA. Even if they did Id still drive her. Im from Chicago and Ive never had any problems with rust. Thats where taking care of your car comes into play. Besides I love driving in the snow. If I could afford to have something else to drive in the winter months, I might consider not letting her see the snow....but I doubt Id keep her cooped up all winter
Old 02-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #52
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
No snow driving for this valley-dweller. TCS or not, no thanks
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #53
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
here in toronto the snow gets pretty bad, this year has been the worst. during the last snow storm comin back from a hockey game a guy driven a 4th gen (probly a v6) was having a lot of problems staying striaght on the road, he wasnt going fast but everytime he would seem to hit the gas he would swerve. all was good tho. my mazda pwns in the snow tho winter tire's+snow = controled drifts lmao

EDIT: BROKE THE 150 post mark WOOHOO
Old 03-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #54
lafountain

Drives: 1995 3.8L Camaro
Was doing a google search for a question about the Camaro and it brought me to this thread.

As for the post, I only have a 1995 Camaro and here in Idaho the Winters are sometimes pretty bad but they don't use salt on the roads, just sand. I have owned this car since 1996 and it has made it through many winters without problem (of course many of those were in North Carolina and Georgia, but quite a few were in Vermont and Idaho). The car has something to do with how it handles the winters, but the driver is the key component.
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #55
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
ugh no way in hell am i gonna drive the camaro in the winter up here salt combined with an annual Golden Snowball winning city (yes this is a real award... awarded to the large city with the most snowfall every year) the lake effect in Syracuse is enough to drive any person insane... hell we'll have snow on the ground for another few weeks here... I definitely feel dragoneye on this seeing as we get similar weather. i think i'll keep my cavi for now and hope to god i can afford the insurance on that and the camaro... if not i'll take it off the road in mid-late april and change everything to the camaro then in mid nov, if we haven't gotten any snow yet, i'll put the cav on the road again... word to the wise, sand or salt don't put the camaro on the road in the winter... the sand has rocks in it and that will ruin the pain, and the salt will just eat it away... too many a good F-bods have died that way up here...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #56
truvkngfan

Drives: Porsche928,AMV8,Acadia,Accord
Any problems you see with older rwd cars in the snow is typically because they are lacking the technologies that are available today such as traction and stability control. These are wonders of the automotive world when it comes to driving in any sort of inclemant (sp?) weather. I spent a day at Ford's Proving ground in Romeo Michigan driver training for our Aston Martin. They had simulated ice and with the controls on, the car would not spin out no matter what I wanted it to do. I haven't been following the technicals enough, but I would assume that these will be available on the new Camaro.
truvkngfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #57
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
who is going to have to drive their 5th gen in the snow

well my dad has tons of cars...and trucks... but hes all about... if this is the car you want it must be practical... you have to drive it all year... you have to put up the pros and cons... life lesson kind a thing... i drove my twin turb 350z through the snow and im going to probably have to drive the camaro in the snow... which sucks... but then when i can afford my truck ill garage my 5th gen...

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #58
ChrisB

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
I will drive mine for sure

I live in Quebec city we have tons of snow, hell we had over 500 Cm this winter thats over 200 inches of snow and i still drove my 1999 firebird all winter long with the cheapest winter tires on the market.Got stuck 3-4 times like i do every winter just make sure to always have the traction aids in the truck.

The main problem is the car is so low(sports option package) if there to much snow on the groud im like the snow plow lol
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 AM   #59
CAMAROssRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 Black
Aluminum Frame

I will be driving my 5th gen Camaro SS Rs during the winter here in Michigan where we do get lots of salt. My question is that since the 5th gen have an all aluminum frame, does'nt that mean that it wont rust? or are we worried of rusting underneath the car also?

P.S im a newb to sports cars, used to diving luxury but I guess my old 300c had a bit of both
CAMAROssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #60
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
First let me say, if you know how to drive in winter weather, I expect the Camaro to do a *decent* job of it. My expectation is based on my experience with the 4th-gen LS1 cars with traction control, and I was surprised that they had so much grip in slushy/icy weather. The 2010 *should* be better thanks to its newer traction control, stability control, and independent rear suspension.

That said, what would I do if I lived in a cold-weather state? I'd drive a beater in the winter. My 4th-gens only saw winter weather on a couple of occasions when I couldn't avoid it, and I hope my 2010 never does.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #61
Phil Oliver

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 1LT
I'll be parking mine in the winter just to avoid the salt.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #62
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROssRS View Post
I will be driving my 5th gen Camaro SS Rs during the winter here in Michigan where we do get lots of salt. My question is that since the 5th gen have an all aluminum frame, does'nt that mean that it wont rust? or are we worried of rusting underneath the car also?

P.S im a newb to sports cars, used to diving luxury but I guess my old 300c had a bit of both
Huh?

Last I checked, the only major bits on the Camaro that were aluminum were the hood and the engine block. Heck, even the base Corvette has a steel chassis.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #63
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Huh?

Last I checked, the only major bits on the Camaro that were aluminum were the hood and the engine block. Heck, even the base Corvette has a steel chassis.
would hate to be in a aluminum can in a crash!

Last edited by Brokinarrow; 05-18-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: sp
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #64
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
Dude seriously if you are using it all year round get the v6. Getting winter tires/rims is a must also make sure u use a touchless car wash to keep the salt dmg down. When im done with this car my sunvisor is going to be worn out. Guys who pay 40-50kfor the top model then cover it up in the garage or trailer it around and never put any miles on it make me scratch my head. Cars are meant to be driven not laying around collecting dust. I have die cast models on my walls for that. Driving around going to drive in,playing loud music with my kids in the back being silly,racing at the track,doing burn-outs,doughnuts in the mall parking lot,making out with your lady friend in the back seat this is what this car was meant for imo. You want awsome memories with this car its screams this stuff.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #65
GOLDDOG

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS & 08 JSB Corvette
I order the 2LT/RS and it will be a year round daily driver. Already have one garage queen, dont need another. A seperate set of snow tires will definitely be needed since i got the RS package.
GOLDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #66
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Dude seriously if you are using it all year round get the v6. Getting winter tires/rims is a must also make sure u use a touchless car wash to keep the salt dmg down. When im done with this car my sunvisor is going to be worn out. Guys who pay 40-50kfor the top model then cover it up in the garage or trailer it around and never put any miles on it make me scratch my head. Cars are meant to be driven not laying around collecting dust. I have die cast models on my walls for that. Driving around going to drive in,playing loud music with my kids in the back being silly,racing at the track,doing burn-outs,doughnuts in the mall parking lot,making out with your lady friend in the back seat this is what this car was meant for imo. You want awsome memories with this car its screams this stuff.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #67
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
I'd go with the beater and the camaro. Just my opinion, goodluck
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #68
jking

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
When the time comes that I get my new Camaro (and it's starting to look like it'll be next year), I plan on driving it all year. I live near Cleveland and our winters can get nasty, but I don't have the luxury nor the room to store it for six months.

Luckily, I work out of home and don't do a lot of driving, but if I have to go out in bad weather, I'm not at all worried about it. I'm 50 and learned how to drive as a teenager near Chicago and lived near Toronto for many years. I've been around the Great Lakes all my life and I've never had issues driving in the snow. Growing up near Chicago was a great place to learn how to drive in bad weather, all with rear-wheel drives cars and without the luxuries we have today with anti-skid, etc.

I'll just be sure to keep it clean at all times using touchless car washes (there's one about 10 minutes from where I live) to keep the crap off it, but other than that, I plan on driving it year-round!
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #69
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss/rs
my camaro will be in the garage. i got the truck for the winter
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #70
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
any sports car can drive in snow with the correct tires and weight in back, is it deal NO, is it the safest idea, NO. If you put different tires on and 100lbs in trunck you will get by, but your still not going get anywhere in a descent time. Im not one of those people who can say my car never has seen rain or keep my car in the garage when theres a one cloud in the sky. But I have driven a TA in the snow a few times. Its just not feasbable. And next thing is if you drive that thing in the salt your going to start seeing rust on the frame after first winter.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #71
GTAwheelman

Drives: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
my 3rd gen has done pretty well in the snow the couple times i drove it in the snow. i bought it from a guy that lived in chicago and used it as a DD. he said he never had a problem. granted it had a 50lbs sub box in the back. still when i sold that and moved it around my driveway with bald tires in about 2-3ins of snow i had no problems.

however when i get my 5th gen it will be in the garage when it snows. i have a truck for the winter.
GTAwheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #72
NickPic

Drives: 2006 GMC Sierra 1500HD
if u can afford keep the grand prix and get the camaro
06 gmc sierra 1500HD: w/ 6.0, K&N CAI, air raid TBS, pacesetter ceramic coated LT headers, magnaflow X-pipe, SLP loudmouth I resonators, gibson 4' tips, blackbear custom tune, 20 inch rims, bfg 33" tires, 2-10" mtx subs, 2000 watt audiobahn amp, 10 farad tsunami cap, HID's, air horns etc......

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3103872

slp tuned diablo programmer for sale. pm me for info.

06 pontiac G6 GT: bone stock except hid's
NickPic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #73
Brokinarrow

I'll be interested to see how well the 5th gen will do in snow. My 4th gen wasn't the greatest, even with snow tires and a couple sandbags in the back. But the 5th gen IS about 500ish lbs heavier, plus traction control and all. Shouldn't be too bad.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #74
BlackRaptor

Drives: 08 GMC Sierra, 07 G6 GT
Mine will sit through the winter.
MN salt wrecks most everything it touches
Old 05-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #75
Blacked Out
i luv it wen people stare

Drives: 1lt camaro, virctory red
that was the one reason why i wasnt going to get the car. i live in new york so its not that bad but wut model r u looking at caus it doesnt make that much sene 2 get a 2ss fully loaded if your only guna use it when its not snowing.

IN LOVE!

1LT
Victory Red, Black Interior
Straight Piped
K&N Air Charger
Automatic Transmission
(future mods coming)
Ordered May 9 2009
Delievered October 9 2009
Blacked Out is offline   Reply With Quote