Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....
 
AngelSpeedFreak's Avatar
 
Drives: Boosted, Cammed, Bagged, Dipped...
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 2,888
Ice down supercharger??

Hoping to get a little help from the big boys around here.

I've been hitting the strip a lot this year and probably have around 60 passes on my car. I never really take my time there super serious but maybe its about time to start trying a little bit harder.

Couple questions:

1 - Do you suggest placing icebags on my supercharger in between runs to cool it off? I see a lot of people around me do this but I have never tried.

2 - I have had people suggest I leave my car with the ACC on (key in) so that the pump runs to my intercooler while the car is waiting for its next run. Think this helps any?

Any other little tips that you think might help would be greatly appreciated.

My setup: TVS2300, Longtubes, cat delete, noweeds, corsa (although not used as I leave the noweeds open), 3.2 pulley running 7psi, rotofab CAI. 608hp on last dyno. I do have Meth kit ready to install and tune but that may still be a few more weeks/ months away...

Thanks for any suggestions.


__________________
AngelSpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
Hoping to get a little help from the big boys around here.

I've been hitting the strip a lot this year and probably have around 60 passes on my car. I never really take my time there super serious but maybe its about time to start trying a little bit harder.

Couple questions:

1 - Do you suggest placing icebags on my supercharger in between runs to cool it off? I see a lot of people around me do this but I have never tried.

2 - I have had people suggest I leave my car with the ACC on (key in) so that the pump runs to my intercooler while the car is waiting for its next run. Think this helps any?

Any other little tips that you think might help would be greatly appreciated.

My setup: TVS2300, Longtubes, cat delete, noweeds, corsa (although not used as I leave the noweeds open), 3.2 pulley running 7psi, rotofab CAI. 608hp on last dyno. I do have Meth kit ready to install and tune but that may still be a few more weeks/ months away...

Thanks for any suggestions.


Ha, 60 passes.... That's a gd wind!!

I've heard two schools of thought on the ice thing. Obviously the gd is the cooling. The bad being the rapid heating/cooling/heating process which can lead to something cracking.

I run my ice/water chest while in the pits and use fans to cool the car. In 20 minutes it's almost to cold.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Rcfiddy1

 
Rcfiddy1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manalapan, New Jersey
Posts: 1,923
Ive heard that the cooling can cause bearing failure in the S/C. I usually just leave hood open and wait till last minute to run and keep the car off as much as possible. You can alwayd use a fan to circulate air if you have a generator or power source.
__________________
Build Thread
ECS Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Blower Cam, Alky Meth, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,003
Never shut the car off when you get back to your pit. All youll accomplish is crippling the car with heat soak. I'd let it idle until the Trans temps bottom out and then all cooling ability of the car are exhausted.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
bcguy
bcguy
 
bcguy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss/rs m6
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: british columbia canada
Posts: 383
So what times are you running. Reaction, 60 fts
__________________
edelbrock e force ,fast 85 injectors,jre fuel line upgrade,lunati valve train,high perf timeing chain and gears,melling high volume oil pump,competition cams blower cam,cold air kit,1and7/8 headers,no cats,rps street slayer dual carbon billet,lonnies dual fuel,dss aluminum drive shaft,ford 9 inch with strange pumpkin,3.73 ratio,1400 hp axels,boost and air fuel pillar guages. Weld rts 17x10 and 17x4.5 with m and h drag radials and skinnys
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....
 
AngelSpeedFreak's Avatar
 
Drives: Boosted, Cammed, Bagged, Dipped...
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Ha, 60 passes.... That's a gd wind!!

I've heard two schools of thought on the ice thing. Obviously the gd is the cooling. The bad being the rapid heating/cooling/heating process which can lead to something cracking.

I run my ice/water chest while in the pits and use fans to cool the car. In 20 minutes it's almost to cold.
I've never done it, but when I look to the left and right of my car they are all sitting there with open hoods and bags of ice covering the charger and hoses... I'm afraid of the cracking thing myself.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "I run my ice/water chest in the pits"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Ive heard that the cooling can cause bearing failure in the S/C. I usually just leave hood open and wait till last minute to run and keep the car off as much as possible. You can alwayd use a fan to circulate air if you have a generator or power source.
I try to sit about 20 mins or so in between going up to let it cool, but when its 100 degrees outside it doesnt feel much cooler after that wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Never shut the car off when you get back to your pit. All youll accomplish is crippling the car with heat soak. I'd let it idle until the Trans temps bottom out and then all cooling ability of the car are exhausted.
You keep the car running the entire day? I must not be understanding you as that doesn't sound right? Are you saying to let it stay on for a few minutes before turning it off? Then leave the ACC on to let the pump keep circulating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
So what times are you running. Reaction, 60 fts
Reaction has no merit in this discussion. I can cut a light pretty good when I need to. I'm really looking at little ways I can cut some time off my runs.

60's are pretty consistent in 1.7's. Everyone has to remember that I am a mile up here in NM so even though that sounds horrible, I don't think it really is? I have the best 60' out of any 5th gen I have seen here. Most of the street cars I know are running 1.8-2.0's with drag radials in my HP class. I am using 17" bogarts with M&H radials. M6 car, Launch at about 3800rpm with no bog and just a little bit of spin. any lower and I bog, any higher and I spin to much and the 60' time goes up. I have found that 16psi seems to work best for me.

I'm sure there are a million things I need to buy to get my times down, but I am more looking for things I should be doing rather than buying. This is my first car that I have ever taken to the track so I am definitely still learning.

Any suggestions are very helpful and appreciated.

thanks again all.
__________________
AngelSpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
bcguy
bcguy
 
bcguy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss/rs m6
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: british columbia canada
Posts: 383
i didnt really have to much to add to your thread topic ,except i have run 3 back to back runs and the times were close to each other,did not see an et drop,super hot weather i might.i asked your et and reaction ,60 ft for my own benefit as i am also a new racer and ran a11.34 at 126 .434 reaction(ya i know) with 1.9 60s,my car has not been dynoed so just seeing if i am in the ballpark
__________________
edelbrock e force ,fast 85 injectors,jre fuel line upgrade,lunati valve train,high perf timeing chain and gears,melling high volume oil pump,competition cams blower cam,cold air kit,1and7/8 headers,no cats,rps street slayer dual carbon billet,lonnies dual fuel,dss aluminum drive shaft,ford 9 inch with strange pumpkin,3.73 ratio,1400 hp axels,boost and air fuel pillar guages. Weld rts 17x10 and 17x4.5 with m and h drag radials and skinnys
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,003
I have a 5 gallon cell in the trunk the I dump ice in. In the cell there is an inlet and outlet. The returning warm intercooler water enters, melts the ice, then the ice water is pumped directly into the blower. It works like a champ for lowering iat's and reducing the amount of timing pulled. One of the things undiscovered is that when I leave the pump on, tank off, the ice water still circulates and cools the entire engine. You can watch the coolant temp drop from 200 to 125 in 10 minutes.

I only let the car idle for maybe 5 minutes. This allows the Trans fluid to circulate through the cooler and lower the temps. After about 5 minutes the temps will reach a point where they won't go any lower. Then the fans cool it the rest of the way.

Hot lapping could lead to excessive heat build up in the Trans and prematurely make it fail.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....
 
AngelSpeedFreak's Avatar
 
Drives: Boosted, Cammed, Bagged, Dipped...
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
i didnt really have to much to add to your thread topic ,except i have run 3 back to back runs and the times were close to each other,did not see an et drop,super hot weather i might.i asked your et and reaction ,60 ft for my own benefit as i am also a new racer and ran a11.34 at 126 .434 reaction(ya i know) with 1.9 60s,my car has not been dynoed so just seeing if i am in the ballpark
Looking at your sig, you are way ahead of me on mods
My best time is 11.9@115. Last weekend I was pretty consistent around 12.1 to 12.3 and around 113mph. Again, I am almost a mile up so that does take quite a bit away from me I think. DA was at 8,200. Looks like if you can cut the 60's down you could be in the 10's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I have a 5 gallon cell in the trunk the I dump ice in. In the cell there is an inlet and outlet. The returning warm intercooler water enters, melts the ice, then the ice water is pumped directly into the blower. It works like a champ for lowering iat's and reducing the amount of timing pulled. One of the things undiscovered is that when I leave the pump on, tank off, the ice water still circulates and cools the entire engine. You can watch the coolant temp drop from 200 to 125 in 10 minutes.

I only let the car idle for maybe 5 minutes. This allows the Trans fluid to circulate through the cooler and lower the temps. After about 5 minutes the temps will reach a point where they won't go any lower. Then the fans cool it the rest of the way.

Hot lapping could lead to excessive heat build up in the Trans and prematurely make it fail.
Wow.. That sounds like a great setup. I
Saw your car in Indy, it was a pleasure to checkout. I remember seeing you use fans to cool off the front but didn't see the ice. I assumed the box in the trunk was for race fuel.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any other helpful tidbits are always appreciated.
__________________
AngelSpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
Looking at your sig, you are way ahead of me on mods
My best time is 11.9@115. Last weekend I was pretty consistent around 12.1 to 12.3 and around 113mph. Again, I am almost a mile up so that does take quite a bit away from me I think. DA was at 8,200. Looks like if you can cut the 60's down you could be in the 10's...



Wow.. That sounds like a great setup. I
Saw your car in Indy, it was a pleasure to checkout. I remember seeing you use fans to cool off the front but didn't see the ice. I assumed the box in the trunk was for race fuel.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any other helpful tidbits are always appreciated.
The cars tank is full of race gas!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Rcfiddy1

 
Rcfiddy1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manalapan, New Jersey
Posts: 1,923
I run a dual pass heat exchanger and I will leave the pump on for it to draw the heat out of the intake. Another good way to drop engine temps is by adding a electric water pump that allows you to circulate coolant when the engine is not running.
__________________
Build Thread
ECS Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Blower Cam, Alky Meth, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
wirebender
 
wirebender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 BRM, auto sunroof
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 585
I read that RX has someting that connects directly to the AC and use its cooling ability to get IATs down....alot....works even when AC is not on......
__________________
RF CAI & res,VMAX PTB,160*,NGK,LPE upper, lower pulleys & isolator,Kooks 2"LTs&cats,FAST 90# inj.,M2W,Afco HX,ATI bal.,Alky Control, DRL Harness & LEDs,LED Fogs
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,077


Only adds 12-14# and no ice to add, no water to drain, and cools 30-50* in less than 3 minutes.

Never have to buy anything more as it is always there.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
toesuf94


 
toesuf94's Avatar
 
Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 4,824
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Stupid question: Does the super chiller drip? If you are running the A/C normally, the expansion tank usually ices up and drips. Does this happen with the super chiller? I have always been told that ANY drips out of the car = OFF THE TRACK NOW. Just curious.
__________________
Cars and women are both going to give you problems...but you can pay somebody else to fix your car!
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,077
Thats why we have a competiton mode that shuts the cabin AC off so no moisture is extracted to drip on the track. It also diverts all the chilling to the HE so you have the most cooling available.

A simple switch in the cabin and a LED indicater light mounted in the drivers HVAC vent indicates your in competion mode.

We are a drag racing shop here....so track rules are a must.

Search my other posts/threads for more info.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.