Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
Competition Mode

Who uses it and what does it do really?

I've been tracking my car with all the nannies on and am getting more comfortable with the car and it's limits to where I'm thinking about turning some of the nannies off.

Seems like there are a couple options with the control settings:
1. Full on. (default setting when car is turned on)
2. Traction Control Off (1 Click)
3. Competition Mode w/ Traction Control and Stabilitrac Off (2 Clicks)
4. Full off (Hold down the button for 5-7 seconds) [edit: 8 seconds]

I'm thinking of first turning the traction control off and then trying competition mode. I'm guessing the Competition mode still has the nannies on, just in limited/reduced settings? Or are they completely off all together?

Thanks

Last edited by Spoolin; 09-09-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
damian559

Drives: 2015 1SS, 1LE, Recaro, NPP
Does it show anything when you hold it for the 5-7 seconds?
damian559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Spoolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian559 View Post
Does it show anything when you hold it for the 5-7 seconds?

I just saw in another thread that it's actually 8 seconds. Apparently it shuts almost everything down. The dash lights for TC and Stabilitrac come on to warn you that they are disabled but there is no Competition Mode prompt on the DIC, only that Traction and Stabilitrac are off.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I run mine with every thing off ,but there is no rain ,snow or ice in Phoenix. I suppose in inclement weather it would be usefull ,but so far I haven't needed the nannies.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Given the level of slip the nannies allow when fully on, I do not turn anything off the street use. If I'm that far out of shape on the street, something has gone terribly wrong and by all means Mr. Computer man, come and get me.

On track though, full 8 seconds. I've never tried the in-between ones (1 click and 2 click). Of note, I do not do burnouts or otherwise attempt to spin the tires like an 18 year old.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
Retro69

Drives: 2011 2SS M6 Synergy Green
I run mine in Competition Mode when I run on any track, autocross or drag strip. I like the little bit of safety left in Comp mode rather than having the nannies completely off, especially at the strip just in case I get really sideways on a launch.

Comp Cams cam and trunion upgrade
CAI intake, Rotofab washer bottle
Dynatech 1 7/8" long tube headers, hi-flow cats
VMAX CNC Ported TB. Pfadt Performance Kit - Stage 2 ZL-Spec
Ideal Garage clutch master cylinder with remote reservoir
Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
I use competition when I track and auto x, turn them all off when drag race. On road and feeling sporty, competition mostly to firm up the algorithm for power steering assist. Full trac\stab control if caught in rain or less than 50°f ambient temp.

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
Spoolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGGS-LS3-1LE View Post
I use competition when I track and auto x, turn them all off when drag race. On road and feeling sporty, competition mostly to firm up the algorithm for power steering assist. Full trac\stab control if caught in rain or less than 50°f ambient temp.

So Competition mode not only reduces the traction and stabili-trac from kicking in, it also changes the steering assist?

Does it change any other tables that you know of?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #10
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLOW 1 of Only 28
This is the only mode I can brake the tires lose is with the nannies off. And when they are both off Mine does display in the DIC Competition Mode. Also both warning lights are on for TC and Stablity control.

skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
markgws6

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I've not tried a "road course" yet with the traction control completely turned off. I have too nice a car to trust myself fully yet when going that fast around the turns. Especially if some moron went off and sprayed gravel up on to the turn for me to then "discover". Sometimes I have done it with the traction control set to competition mode but the last time I did that I almost got in real trouble on the track but was able to not go completely off. So the next time I went out I made sure all were turned on and still turned some decent times. I think it depends on the driver, tires, and the conditions as to what works best. Experiment, but I don't recommend turning all them off until you have many, many track hours under your belt and are confident you can handle the car well this way should something go very wrong and trust me, it will some day.

Performance: CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, ZR1 diff fluid, Dot4 brake fluid, Russell brake lines, SLP skip-shift override, SRP Racing Pedals, No trunk or hood insulation, No Spare tire inflator (at the track), NPP fuse pull, octane fuse reset
markgws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE / 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I've not tried a "road course" yet with the traction control completely turned off. I have too nice a car to trust myself fully yet when going that fast around the turns. Especially if some moron went off and sprayed gravel up on to the turn for me to then "discover". Sometimes I have done it with the traction control set to competition mode but the last time I did that I almost got in real trouble on the track but was able to not go completely off. So the next time I went out I made sure all were turned on and still turned some decent times. I think it depends on the driver, tires, and the conditions as to what works best. Experiment, but I don't recommend turning all them off until you have many, many track hours under your belt and are confident you can handle the car well this way should something go very wrong and trust me, it will some day.
I completely agree with Mark here. In my autocross event this past weekend with all nanny's completely on I could still get the rear end to slide and wiggle as I navigated thru the course. With tires like the GoodYear G2's you don't get any warning sounds when they are loosing grip. It's just grip grip grip...no grip. And then you are sliding with no warning. If you are not driving professionally for a living or drive every weekend at a track and have hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience I don't see why so many people feel they have to turn the nanny's off to have fun. Unless I feel the computer intervene and slow me down on the track then I figure it's not hurting me so leave it on. Never once even with my back tires sliding and even spinning a little did I ever see the "Low Traction" light come on the dash or DIC. So if it's not getting in my way and preventing me from driving how I intend to then there's no reason for me to turn it off.

In fact with the Z/28 the engineers even flat out say that even professional drivers will turn a faster lap time with the PTM system active vs completely turned off. The traction and stability control systems these days are not the same as they were in the 4th gen years. I think they are very refined and do their job well without taking any of the fun away.

2013 Victory Red 2SS/1LE W/RS/NPP
2002 Bright Rally Red Camaro SS 6-speed Manual
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
raptor5244

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I completely agree with Mark here. In my autocross event this past weekend with all nanny's completely on I could still get the rear end to slide and wiggle as I navigated thru the course. With tires like the GoodYear G2's you don't get any warning sounds when they are loosing grip. It's just grip grip grip...no grip. And then you are sliding with no warning. If you are not driving professionally for a living or drive every weekend at a track and have hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience I don't see why so many people feel they have to turn the nanny's off to have fun. Unless I feel the computer intervene and slow me down on the track then I figure it's not hurting me so leave it on. Never once even with my back tires sliding and even spinning a little did I ever see the "Low Traction" light come on the dash or DIC. So if it's not getting in my way and preventing me from driving how I intend to then there's no reason for me to turn it off.

In fact with the Z/28 the engineers even flat out say that even professional drivers will turn a faster lap time with the PTM system active vs completely turned off. The traction and stability control systems these days are not the same as they were in the 4th gen years. I think they are very refined and do their job well without taking any of the fun away.
Good point with the grip explanation. These cars stick like glue until they hit the limit and then bam, you get sideways and it comes on quite abruptly. If you are pulling 1g in a turn and then the tires let go is quite violent. I was surprised how much slip and spin you can achieve with the nannies all on. It will let you get a little sideways before kicking in. Now if this were a subaru brz You can just slide the tail all over the place.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #14
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Once I'm familiar with a track I go comp mode all the way. 1. Firmer steering 2. It doesn't cut power if you get loose, so you can keep your foot in it. Street, why bother?

I don't know why some think the goodyears let go and it's game over (actually I do, that's exactly how they are on street) but once they are warmed up they are very subtle about giving up traction.

F/S: New SW rocker panels, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318642

F/S: 1LE front brakes, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374575

F/S: 27mm adjustable front and 28mm rear sway bars http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374583
White_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #15
Spoolin

Next track day I will give competition mode a shot and see how it goes. When in the First setting I see TC and Stabilitrac kick on quite a bit at the road course, could be because I drive like a Nut but I do see it kick in all the time. So driving in Competition mode might challenge me to be a better driver.

I agree with White_SS/RS on the Goodyears. Once they are warm they are very very predictable. When they are cold however, forget about it, I have no idea what they are doing and when they will let go.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #16
hcsi99
Service Advisor Cadillac

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Competitive Driving Mode is great for track days. I turn it off when I autocross because the speeds are much slower, and I feel it works a little to well when autocrossing. I just did a track day on Sunday (my second with my 1LE) and I learned to trust the competitive driving mode a lot. Around 30 seconds in to this video you can see it kick in. I never lifted when the stability system kicked in, and that's how it's designed. If you stay on the accelerator the car makes the adjustments needed to keep it pointing in the correct direction without affecting speed much. Traction control in the old days would just cut throttle when wheel slips was detected and power would be lost. In my last session going from the left to right into the long sweeper that goes into the new section ( between 9 and 10a) , I would go in wide open and could feel the back end of the car start to slip a little, and could also feel the stability system doing it's thing. This was much faster then turn 3 when I felt it in the video.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #17
markgws6

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Does anyone know whether competitive mode is any different in the 1LE Vs. a standard SS?

Performance: CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, ZR1 diff fluid, Dot4 brake fluid, Russell brake lines, SLP skip-shift override, SRP Racing Pedals, No trunk or hood insulation, No Spare tire inflator (at the track), NPP fuse pull, octane fuse reset
markgws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
hcsi99
Service Advisor Cadillac

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
I'm sure the software is a little different because the grip level is better in the 1LE, but the idea and function is the same.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #19
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
I run with everything off on the track......I run in competition mode on the street because I like the feedback from the steering wheel which is not present in the standard mode.......unless it is raining.

FYI: I believe I said hold it for 8 seconds in another thread....it could be 5-7..I just hold it until everything lights back up!

Matt
Old 09-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #20
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
No problem for us that know how to drive ,but I can see where someone who is clueless could get in trouble with it off . For me it just feels better and is more fun off.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #21
PwrCrusr

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
If I'm that far out of shape on the street, something has gone terribly wrong and by all means Mr. Computer man, come and get me.
LMAO! That's awesome... Sig worthy even...

I leave mine on unless I want to play. Just don't turn it off every time I get in the car - pretty much the same reasons as Billy.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
No problem for us that know how to drive ,but I can see where someone who is clueless could get in trouble with it off . For me it just feels better and is more fun off.
I think for people like you and I, with something like 40 or more years worth of driving experience with neither TC nor stability control available, we're more comfortable without the interferences. The kinds of times when they'd start doing something about the situation are pretty much the times when we don't need to be distracted by even a momentary concern of "what just went wrong with my car?", either because it did something we didn't tell it to do or because it wouldn't do what we did tell it to do.

On the track, to the extent that TC uses the brakes at one or more wheels, I wouldn't want that system working at any level. It would tend to teach me to be too abrupt with the throttle (because the TC eliminates much of the warning I should be learning . . . as it goes about its business of minimizing the adverse consequences).

On the street, I'd really rather let easy wheelspin under low traction conditions (rain, snow, gravel, whatever) tell me how badly traction sucks, so that I can adjust my driving to suit. Having an easy time getting going may mislead a driver into thinking that the traction is better than it really is . . . until it comes time to stop or turn a corner.

Even the nannies cannot magically create more grip than is physically present. Remember this.

Remember, that's from the perspective of 40+ years driving without TC even available, plus another 6 or so where it was available to me but where I have chosen to disable it almost every time I start the cars so equipped. IOW, I don't (probably can't) see the picture the same way that younger drivers who have had the nannies available most or all of their entire driving lives may be seeing it.

Norm
Norm Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #23
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I think for people like you and I, with something like 40 or more years worth of driving experience with neither TC nor stability control available, we're more comfortable without the interferences. The kinds of times when they'd start doing something about the situation are pretty much the times when we don't need to be distracted by even a momentary concern of "what just went wrong with my car?", either because it did something we didn't tell it to do or because it wouldn't do what we did tell it to do.

On the track, to the extent that TC uses the brakes at one or more wheels, I wouldn't want that system working at any level. It would tend to teach me to be too abrupt with the throttle (because the TC eliminates much of the warning I should be learning . . . as it goes about its business of minimizing the adverse consequences).

On the street, I'd really rather let easy wheelspin under low traction conditions (rain, snow, gravel, whatever) tell me how badly traction sucks, so that I can adjust my driving to suit. Having an easy time getting going may mislead a driver into thinking that the traction is better than it really is . . . until it comes time to stop or turn a corner.

Even the nannies cannot magically create more grip than is physically present. Remember this.

Remember, that's from the perspective of 40+ years driving without TC even available, plus another 6 or so where it was available to me but where I have chosen to disable it almost every time I start the cars so equipped. IOW, I don't (probably can't) see the picture the same way that younger drivers who have had the nannies available most or all of their entire driving lives may be seeing it.

Norm
While I agree with you, there is an indication that it is engaged. If a person doesn't see the indicator on the dash, they have other issues besides being over confident in bad weather and having the nannies on or off isn't relevant.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #24
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Yes, I realize that there are indicators telling you when those systems are actively doing anything.

But I really don't want to spend the time noticing the lamp and acknowledging that it's associated with something I probably already felt. I'm either going to be busy enough and don't want to be bothered by it at all, or it will indicate an earlier than necessary intervention and will do more harm as an annoyance than good as a poor-ish explanation of what my car might be trying to do on its own.

I don't expect everybody to think that way, and as time goes on fewer will. I'm not convinced that it'll be 100% a good thing.

Norm
Norm Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #25
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
My Butt-o-meter feels that with the 8 seconded hold the car seems quicker and revs faster after the shift. With just traction control off I have a feeling that the computer is retarding the engine when shifting to protect the trans and driveline from shock.

Also I prefer the 8 second off when driving the car for fun, I like that I can drift it out longer to my needs, where the stabiltrack on does allow some slide but it limits you when you need a little more.

I came from Fox mustangs so I am used to kicking it sideways.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote