Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Drbormd
 
Drives: 13 Optima Turbo 13 F150 Eco 14 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lincoln California
Posts: 102
Front camera

Has anyone set up a camera for the front of the car so you don't smash into curbs? Pics and info would help.. Thanks
Drbormd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,266
If you don't find anything here try go ogling it, I seem to remember someone making a kit. Maybe Ofir. Sorry if I killed his name.

Sent from a large Hammer.
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
NZZL1
 
NZZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 56
The following would be a better solution than a camera, but I have't purchased one as yet.

http://www.brandmotion.com/curb-alert/curb-alert-1.html
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
z28lt1
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 121
I have Curb Alert on another car, and it works great. The perfect solution if all you want is to avoid hitting the parking curbs. Pretty easy installation as well.
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 4,220
I'd be happy if they just put a few of the ultrasonic sensors they use on the rear bumper on the front of the car.
You would think it should be simple since they already have the technology on the car.

Engage the front sensors when you are is 1st gear and <5mph, and engage the rear sensors when in reverse.

I don't really need a full camera, just some simple beepers.

I even brought up the idea to one of the Official Camaro Disciples at last years CamaroFest in Indy. They didn't seem all that interested.

Most everyone else I mentioned it to just said 'learn how to park'.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,072
My new SS has the front parking sensors, so we know GM can do it.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Drbormd
 
Drives: 13 Optima Turbo 13 F150 Eco 14 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lincoln California
Posts: 102
Thanks for the ideas..
Drbormd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
64stingray
 
Drives: 64vette,2010 2SS,2013 Zl1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: kanata,on,can.
Posts: 79
I just finished installing one on my 2013 Zl1, its so nice, I can park 2" from the curb, no problem. I got the camera and relay on ebay, works great and cheap. the biggest problem I had was to display the front camera in the info system. If you want to use a separate display, it simplifies things because the only way I found to switch the info system display is to put a gnd on a pin on the engine module so you need to send a wire from the trunk to the reverse switch on the transmission. Anyway, if people are interested, I can take picture and numbers. Mine works with a wireless transmitter and relay but a switch and wire would work fine. Believe me, it's worth it
64stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,651
Sorry but I do not want or need a camera to assist me in parking my car!

Maybe I'm just too old to relearn using an aid perhaps? This is the way I learned, take a cone or a chair or other object and set it up in an open space preferably a parking lot. Just place it in front of your ZL1, drive around and PRACTICE getting as close to the cone or object without hitting it. Spend some time doing that and you will instinctively know when to stop before hitting a concrete wheel chock or the curb ever again.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
Rainbow1616
 
Rainbow1616's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 269
Took your advice, just ordered a Curb Alert. I don't want to take any chances.

Problem with that logic is I'm not the only one that drives the car.
Rainbow1616 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
Drbormd
 
Drives: 13 Optima Turbo 13 F150 Eco 14 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lincoln California
Posts: 102
Must be an expert driver.. LMAO
Drbormd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
Emvici
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St Pete Fl
Posts: 509
64stingray, so are you telling me you hooked a camera on the front of the car, into your Navigation display system that is built into the car?.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus
 
Drives: White ZL1, Blue E39 Touring
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Maybe I'm just too old to relearn using an aid perhaps? This is the way I learned, take a cone or a chair or other object and set it up in an open space preferably a parking lot. Just place it in front of your ZL1, drive around and PRACTICE getting as close to the cone or object without hitting it. Spend some time doing that and you will instinctively know when to stop before hitting a concrete wheel chock or the curb ever again.
S'what I did. Cheap. Doesn't add weight (the whole ounce or three). More fun to "install" too.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
Rainbow1616
 
Rainbow1616's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbormd View Post
Must be an expert driver.. LMAO
Definitely better than anyone that lives in California
Rainbow1616 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #15
JamesZL1
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 1996 C4 Corvette
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 264
I just back into parking spots and use the rear camera and sensors...problem solved
__________________
Roto-Fab CAI, Texas Speed Headers, Texas Speed X-Pipe, Texas Speed LS3-B Blower Cam, Metco 9.55" Crank Pulley, Metco 2.5 Upper Pulley, ID 850 Injectors, Kenne Bell BAP ???HP / ??? Torque (Needing new Dyno run)
JamesZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
64stingray
 
Drives: 64vette,2010 2SS,2013 Zl1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: kanata,on,can.
Posts: 79
Yes EMVICI, that's what I did and it works great, shows you what in front of the car for about 12-15 feet since the camera is looking at the road right in front of the splitter. it even has lines so you know exactly how far you are. when you start the car, it's always on rear camera, one touch of a button and you get the front camera displayed in the info center no matter what gear you in. I took a few pictures but I'll get more and put then here
64stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #17
camaro-ss65
 
camaro-ss65's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64stingray View Post
Yes EMVICI, that's what I did and it works great, shows you what in front of the car for about 12-15 feet since the camera is looking at the road right in front of the splitter. it even has lines so you know exactly how far you are. when you start the car, it's always on rear camera, one touch of a button and you get the front camera displayed in the info center no matter what gear you in. I took a few pictures but I'll get more and put then here
did you tap into the backup camera wires in the trunk? or at the mylink HU wiring harness?
I'm looking into installing a front camera as well, just need to find the video input wire at the mylink HU. I'll be installing a switch to turn on the front camera...only want it on when needed.
__________________
2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE CRT - RS - Recaros - NPP - Sunroof - Nav
camaro-ss65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
BeastMode13
 
BeastMode13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
My new SS has the front parking sensors, so we know GM can do it.
Really!?! They need this on all cars.
Oh well, just have to keep parking shallow to avoid scraping the bumper.
__________________
BeastMode13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #19
Ksmoke
 
Ksmoke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT/RS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-ss65 View Post
did you tap into the backup camera wires in the trunk? or at the mylink HU wiring harness?
I'm looking into installing a front camera as well, just need to find the video input wire at the mylink HU. I'll be installing a switch to turn on the front camera...only want it on when needed.
Im interested if you can get my link to display a camera feed if you didnt have a camera installed when purchased the car.
Ksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #20
camaro-ss65
 
camaro-ss65's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksmoke View Post
Im interested if you can get my link to display a camera feed if you didnt have a camera installed when purchased the car.
If your car didn't come with a camera I believe you can still add a rear camera but the mylink needs to be programed at the dealer..I think I read that somewhere on here.
In my case my car came with a rear camera...so I was thinking of tapping into the rear camera wires for the front camera and install a switch to power the front camera. I just need to find the wires at the mylink HU.
__________________
2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE CRT - RS - Recaros - NPP - Sunroof - Nav
camaro-ss65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #21
64stingray
 
Drives: 64vette,2010 2SS,2013 Zl1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: kanata,on,can.
Posts: 79
My car had a rear camera already so I taped in the video wire from the camera to the display, in the passenger side of the trunk,unrapt a bit of the clothlike stuff and find a foil rapted wires , unrapt a bit of foil and cut the tiny pink wire inside that is the +vide0, the only one you need. I connected this wire from the camera to the normally close contact of a relay and the common contact to the other end of the pink wire going to the display then the wire coming from the front camera to the normally open contact on the same relay. Both the front cam. and the relay are on switch pwr. so only on when the engine is running. the only way I know of putting the mylink display to display the camra is to put a ground on pin 45 of x3 conn. on the engine control module. this makes it send a message all over the place that the car is in reverse and turn on the camera and display. to do did I sent a wire from another set of contacts on the relay through a hole in the corner of the trunk's floor and sent it all the way under the car to the reverse switch on the transmission. so when I push the front button on the remote, there is a ground from the relay and the car think that its in reverse no matter what gear you're in. that's about what I did, works great
64stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
camaro-ss65
 
camaro-ss65's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64stingray View Post
My car had a rear camera already so I taped in the video wire from the camera to the display, in the passenger side of the trunk,unrapt a bit of the clothlike stuff and find a foil rapted wires , unrapt a bit of foil and cut the tiny pink wire inside that is the +vide0, the only one you need. I connected this wire from the camera to the normally close contact of a relay and the common contact to the other end of the pink wire going to the display then the wire coming from the front camera to the normally open contact on the same relay. Both the front cam. and the relay are on switch pwr. so only on when the engine is running. the only way I know of putting the mylink display to display the camra is to put a ground on pin 45 of x3 conn. on the engine control module. this makes it send a message all over the place that the car is in reverse and turn on the camera and display. to do did I sent a wire from another set of contacts on the relay through a hole in the corner of the trunk's floor and sent it all the way under the car to the reverse switch on the transmission. so when I push the front button on the remote, there is a ground from the relay and the car think that its in reverse no matter what gear you're in. that's about what I did, works great
Thank you for your explanation... just have a question... where is that Connector X3 pin 45 located. Can you take a pic of it?

Thanks
__________________
2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE CRT - RS - Recaros - NPP - Sunroof - Nav
camaro-ss65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #23
red-aro
 
red-aro's Avatar
 
Drives: Victory Red LS
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 84
My 2 Cents

Hey. Just wanted to give you my 2 cents. If you park next to another car you can use the reflection of the other car to give you an estimate of where you are. I do it all the time when I can. Just thought I would share.
red-aro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #24
64stingray
 
Drives: 64vette,2010 2SS,2013 Zl1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: kanata,on,can.
Posts: 79
Front camera

Here is a pic. of the engine module and the connectors. I have no idea how to get in there and would rather not. its a lot easier to get to the transmission switch.
Name:  100_4458.JPG
Views: 876
Size:  334.8 KBOne more thing, the connector and pin # depend on the transmission option in your car. My Zl1 has MG9 = X3 pin 45. for M10 = X1 pin 8, for MV5 =X2 pin 23
64stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #25
camaro-ss65
 
camaro-ss65's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-aro View Post
Hey. Just wanted to give you my 2 cents. If you park next to another car you can use the reflection of the other car to give you an estimate of where you are. I do it all the time when I can. Just thought I would share.
lol thats the method I use but sometimes there isn't a car next to me
__________________
2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE CRT - RS - Recaros - NPP - Sunroof - Nav
camaro-ss65 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.