Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #69
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Sorry Coyote, I just want to get informed sir!

Don't get mad at me.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #70
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
I thought we were talking about TBs.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #71
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Velocity makes power along with flow. You can bolt a 55 gal drum on a motor and make no power if the volumetric efficiancy is not there.

Oh, and Bo is one of the very FEW that I respect as to his hand porting ability.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #72
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I posed the same question a few weeks ago and didn't get much info. I did measure the stock intake and it was basically 94mm. I think the BBK throttle body looks promising.

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #73
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Drives: 2014 C7; 2015 2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
I posed the same question a few weeks ago and didn't get much info. I did measure the stock intake and it was basically 94mm. I think the BBK throttle body looks promising.

as long as it isn't bigger than the intake opening, I agree. hate to disrupt that flow.....

and sc2150, I agree. however, with all the bends and shape changes n the intake tube, stock intake manifold, etc I really have to wonder if a vmax vs bbk is a drum vs straw or vice versa. Would a 102 hurt torque on a stock engine? I don't really think so, but I don't think it would show more gains than a 95 or vmax either....except that it is too big to fit anyways...

my point is I think the 93.8mm opening at the intake manifold opening is plenty to maintain velocity. no?
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #74
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post

Oh, and Bo is one of the very FEW that I respect as to his hand porting ability.

Agreed Bo knows ........Flow

Lol sorry I couldn't resist, don't worry mr White the young guys won't know where that comes from anyways lol!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #75
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
this thread is so off course. At least we are still talkin about intakes...
I got an e-mail back from BBK today and their TB HAS NOT been released yet. I'll speak with the owners and production manager in two weeks and I'll give you the info I get from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #76
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Agreed Bo knows ........Flow

Lol sorry I couldn't resist, don't worry mr White the young guys won't know where that comes from anyways lol!
I thought of the Bo Knows reference earlier but didn't think anyone would get it. Lol

4 pages. Hell yeah
Old 08-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #77
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Like on another engine Im familiar with, the Yamaha 700cc single.
You can take a ton of material out of the ports, going from 163ish cc size to close to 190cc in a port that is short:

The stock TB is 44mm, the aftermarket TB that is used is 54mm. No loss of torque even at 2000rpm but oddly enough the stock TB can be used with the big port with equal power through out the rpms compared to a port matched for the stocker.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #78
JEFF75645

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I got an e-mail back from BBK today and their TB HAS NOT been released yet. I'll speak with the owners and production manager in two weeks and I'll give you the info I get from them.

When I saw these make an appearance online several months ago i wanted one, but I've written it off due to the extended release date.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #79
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
I thought we were talking about TBs.
You know what I meant lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
as long as it isn't bigger than the intake opening, I agree. hate to disrupt that flow.....

and sc2150, I agree. however, with all the bends and shape changes n the intake tube, stock intake manifold, etc I really have to wonder if a vmax vs bbk is a drum vs straw or vice versa. Would a 102 hurt torque on a stock engine? I don't really think so, but I don't think it would show more gains than a 95 or vmax either....except that it is too big to fit anyways...

my point is I think the 93.8mm opening at the intake manifold opening is plenty to maintain velocity. no?
After owning a 5.0 with a BOSS intake, I'm pretty sure you might not lose torque, but you are gonna have to turn the hell out of the car to get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post

That's awesome. Look forward to seeing what they have to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF75645 View Post
When I saw these make an appearance online several months ago i wanted one, but I've written it off due to the extended release date.
Man you would have hated the Vararam throttle body spacer then....
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #80
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

coyotek, intake manifold is a different part than the tb. I really don't think you can go too big on a tb....especially with a stock intake and heads. of course, you need to tune the car with a larger mm tb for good idle.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #81
JEFF75645

Quote:
Man you would have hated the Vararam throttle body spacer then....
I never really got wrapped up in the thread. Plus a wiser man than me suggested I avoid it.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #82
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
coyotek, intake manifold is a different part than the tb. I really don't think you can go too big on a tb....especially with a stock intake and heads. of course, you need to tune the car with a larger mm tb for good idle.
Sure it's different but it's still got flow issues because of increasing or decreasing flow mass and speed. The boss setup had long, tall runners that produced excellent horsepower but torque suffered greatly, unless you were running full bolt ons or forced induction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF75645 View Post
I never really got wrapped up in the thread. Plus a wiser man than me suggested I avoid it.
yeah. The more I think about it, the more I think it's just another snake oil product from a snake oil company.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #83
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Quote:
Sure it's different but it's still got flow issues because of increasing or decreasing flow mass and speed. The boss setup had long, tall runners that produced excellent horsepower but torque suffered greatly, unless you were running full bolt ons or forced induction.

yeah. The more I think about it, the more I think it's just another snake oil product from a snake oil company.
usually long runners are torque producers and short runners are hp producers.

either way, if the intake manifold and heads provide velocity, all you need to do is have as much air as you can present and available when the valve opens.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #84
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
A 102 on a basically stock motor doesent do alot and can hurt. Really need the head runners/bigger valves and a cam to realize the gains (headers of course).

Velocity is uber important for sure no doubt.

The IM chokes down a bit just inside the opening so the opening itself at 93mm is misleading and yes, NEVER bigger to smaller in any transition.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #85
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
A 102 on a basically stock motor doesent do alot and can hurt. Really need the head runners/bigger valves and a cam to realize the gains (headers of course).

Velocity is uber important for sure no doubt.

The IM chokes down a bit just inside the opening so the opening itself at 93mm is misleading and yes, NEVER bigger to smaller in any transition.

the 102 to stock intake would be bigger than the intake opening so that's why I agree it's not good on a stock manifold. I didn't mean to imply a bigger tb than the manifold opening even though I failed to clarify. just that up to as big as the stock intake opening. sort of points in the direction of vmax or bbk being optimally sized for stock intake. it's good to know the intake is 93.8, though, I wonder if the bbk necks down to match and only the front is 95mm?

seems like that would also contribute to the drawing earlier of velocity enhancing shape.