Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
oakaro68

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
GM Authority: Five Chevrolet Camaros Stolen From South Carolina Car Dealership

I feel bad for the person who might have ordered a ZL1 only to find out this happened to it:

Article copied from GM Authority

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/08/...ar-dealership/

"We’ve all seen Gone In 60 Seconds. If not, then shame on you. And while most automotive thefts aren’t as lavish, sexy and precise as what we witnessed in that movie, this story of grand theft auto just might be.
A South Carolina dealership fell victim to some serious larceny, as car thieves made off with five Chevrolet Camaros, including a red 2013 ZL1 that was nicked right from the showroom floor. The others were a yellow 2012 1SS coupe, a red 2012 1SS coupe, a white 2012 2SS coupe and a black 2012 1SS convertible. The car-jackers were also sly enough to disable each vehicle’s OnStar vehicle locator, making them difficult to trace. Altogether, over $240,000 worth of automobile went missing.
Of the five, only the ZL1 has been recovered so far, reportedly suffering minor damage to the rear end. And investigators aren’t certain if the thefts were a part of a larger theft ring."

Oh! and a Magnuson blower
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
I think this was posted here before.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
oakaro68

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
well i guess the moderators can delete this if it's a repost. thanks for the heads up.

Oh! and a Magnuson blower
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Texas2SS
Loves Nitrous

Drives: Rarely
I haven't seen this before. Thanks for posting.
Texas2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Repost. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244736
Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakaro68 View Post
I feel bad for the person who might have ordered a ZL1 only to find out this happened to it:

Article copied from GM Authority

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/08/...ar-dealership/

"We’ve all seen Gone In 60 Seconds. If not, then shame on you. And while most automotive thefts aren’t as lavish, sexy and precise as what we witnessed in that movie, this story of grand theft auto just might be.
A South Carolina dealership fell victim to some serious larceny, as car thieves made off with five Chevrolet Camaros, including a red 2013 ZL1 that was nicked right from the showroom floor. The others were a yellow 2012 1SS coupe, a red 2012 1SS coupe, a white 2012 2SS coupe and a black 2012 1SS convertible. The car-jackers were also sly enough to disable each vehicle’s OnStar vehicle locator, making them difficult to trace. Altogether, over $240,000 worth of automobile went missing.
Of the five, only the ZL1 has been recovered so far, reportedly suffering minor damage to the rear end. And investigators aren’t certain if the thefts were a part of a larger theft ring."

I hadn't seen the story yet, so thanks for the post.

Also this part concerned me most: "The car-jackers were also sly enough to disable each vehicle’s OnStar vehicle locator, making them difficult to trace."

Time for me to think about a hidden kill switch.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFREEKSCOTTY View Post
I hadn't seen the story yet, so thanks for the post.

Also this part concerned me most: "The car-jackers were also sly enough to disable each vehicle’s OnStar vehicle locator, making them difficult to trace."

Time for me to think about a hidden kill switch.
That's probably the only thing that would work. It's not hard to find out where the onstar boxes are in a particular car. It's also not hard to determine where a dealership keeps the keys for their cars. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often really...
Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
Some years ago a couple kids stole cars from our local Chevy and left them on the railroad tracks. That was a fun morning

I got two weeks of work out of it installing new fences, guard rails, and bollards.