Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #51
Wantconvertible

 
Wantconvertible's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHILA PA
Posts: 1,736
If they paid you out would you buy another vert
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #52
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantconvertible View Post
If they paid you out would you buy another vert
A Camaro Vert? Man this is a hard question. The quality of these cars are really good. I have been so caught up in my own issues that I am not sure if the quality of the tops and the mechs have improved.

I have never driven or even ridden in a Camaro coupe.

I don't know. But I'd love to have THAT problem.

If it was not another Vert it would be a 1LE. I will drive a CAMARO.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #53
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
A Camaro Vert? Man this is a hard question. The quality of these cars are really good. I have been so caught up in my own issues that I am not sure if the quality of the tops and the mechs have improved.

I have never driven or even ridden in a Camaro coupe.

I don't know. But I'd love to have THAT problem.

If it was not another Vert it would be a 1LE. I will drive a CAMARO.
Having owned both a coupe and convertible I would take the convertible 2 to 1 over the coupe. The coupe is nice but even with the top up, to me the convertible feels less closed in. I am pretty sure the late 12's and the 13's have the top problems solved, so if you love the convertible and switch to a coupe you may wish you had gotten another convertible.
But that is my opinion.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #54
cmore
 
cmore's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Tn
Posts: 628
Not sure but might not. For sure would not get an auto.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #55
Wantconvertible

 
Wantconvertible's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHILA PA
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
A Camaro Vert? Man this is a hard question. The quality of these cars are really good. I have been so caught up in my own issues that I am not sure if the quality of the tops and the mechs have improved.

I have never driven or even ridden in a Camaro coupe.

I don't know. But I'd love to have THAT problem.

If it was not another Vert it would be a 1LE. I will drive a CAMARO.
Good luck and keep us up to date
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #56
Wantconvertible

 
Wantconvertible's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHILA PA
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Having owned both a coupe and convertible I would take the convertible 2 to 1 over the coupe. The coupe is nice but even with the top up, to me the convertible feels less closed in. I am pretty sure the late 12's and the 13's have the top problems solved, so if you love the convertible and switch to a coupe you may wish you had gotten another convertible.
But that is my opinion.
I go thru this in my head off and on ,rather i should get the coupe and get rid of the vert ,I'm going to keep my vert
plus I have the best color ever made
Attached Images
 
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #57
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
UPDATE

Service manager called today, they are back up and running post Hurricane Issac.

The car is going to the trim shop tomorrow for a new water management bag install. He hopes that it will only take a day. The car will then be returned to the dealership for the new carpet install. They hope to have the car back to me by Monday.

Absolutely nothing was said about the mold and mildew. I am not going to continue to plead my case to people who can do nothing. GM is going to call me tomorrow following up on my BBB claim with an "offer."

My dealer has had this car since the 7th of August and because it rained EVERYDAY in August it has been taking on water till the 25th when I discovered it being stored outside with standing water and growing mold and mildew. :(

EDIT: Notice the mold or is it mildew growing on the seat belt pad. Also there looks like rust on the dynamat.
Attached Images
 
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #58
Storm T
Can't slow down
 
Storm T's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 305
Is that Dynomat? What about it? They replacing it too?
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #59
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm T View Post
Is that Dynomat? What about it? They replacing it too?
Dynamat.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #60
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997
 
PIPE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,042
Dynamat is made with Aluminum backing so I doubt its rust. It could be small metal specs from the sheet metal of the car or welding slag that the water pooled together there in the lowest spot once dried turned into rust. Hard to tell on the seatbelt cover. However I'd bet my paycheck its got some sort of mold spores on/in it. Dont give up[on this. Trust me people die everyday from mold spores and infections. They will not get it properly cleaned. They cant just rip out the carpet and replace it without cleaning it first. Any mold spores left over after carpet removal will latch onto the new carpet and start eating and growing again. Especially if its damp, and in youre case down south with heat and humidity it will be damp
__________________
PIPE
PIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #61
strych9
Nice rear end!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: Not a Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,998
This whole situation sucks, but gawd damn is there a ton of misinformation in this thread, and it's the same misinformation that abounds in these forums. Let me clarify a few things here:

1. A dealership is a private business. The owners enter into a franchise agreement to sell cars, parts, and service for a particular make. The the corporate "franchiser" has no direct authority over a dealership's business practices.
2. If the dealer promised you that they would put the car indoors during a storm, then they made a verbal commitment to you. Pursue it.
3. Every dealer has a disclaimer: "Not responsible for..." covers just about anything bad that could happen. Theft, damage, whatever, the dealer accepts no responsibility for it.
4. File a claim with your insurance company. This can be fixed, and that's what you pay them for. Maybe your dealer would be willing to step up and help you with your deductible.

I have to laugh at the, "demand a new car" comments. I can't say I disagree, but my extensive dealership background and the realist in me knows that it's rarely going to happen. And in this case, it would have to be proven that a warrantable defect caused these issues. Sucks, but these are facts.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #62
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
This whole situation sucks, but gawd damn is there a ton of misinformation in this thread, and it's the same misinformation that abounds in these forums. Let me clarify a few things here:

1. A dealership is a private business. The owners enter into a franchise agreement to sell cars, parts, and service for a particular make. The the corporate "franchiser" has no direct authority over a dealership's business practices.
2. If the dealer promised you that they would put the car indoors during a storm, then they made a verbal commitment to you. Pursue it.
3. Every dealer has a disclaimer: "Not responsible for..." covers just about anything bad that could happen. Theft, damage, whatever, the dealer accepts no responsibility for it.
4. File a claim with your insurance company. This can be fixed, and that's what you pay them for. Maybe your dealer would be willing to step up and help you with your deductible.

I have to laugh at the, "demand a new car" comments. I can't say I disagree, but my extensive dealership background and the realist in me knows that it's rarely going to happen. And in this case, it would have to be proven that a warrantable defect caused these issues. Sucks, but these are facts.
I have no idea about the structure of GM and their sanctioned outlets.
I do know that this car has several problems and GM sends me to a place they authorize to have it taken car of. While at this place that I was directed to... my own mechanic can not perform warranty work... the car is damaged. The extent of which has yet to be determined.

These are the facts, and that I would have to get crunched between GM and a dealership and the BBB and the state's lemon laws is a most frustrating and very discouraging development.

I have not be negligent and have in good faith sought to maintain this car as directed by GM. As a result of this direction from GM my car has been at the dealer for over 45 days and had had several items serviced repeatedly.

I continue to work within the system, the service tech told me to call GM and GM told me they deal with the BBB.

Man all I did was lay down 50 large for my dream car and all this "stuff" should be settled between GM and their authorized dealership.

Ya know in the face of love it or return it all i can do is...
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #63
oyealiz

 
oyealiz's Avatar
 
Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,219
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
The car's top has a leak and it was stored outside by the dealer while waiting on parts for three weeks now. Can there be mold in the AC system?
They knew it had a leak and "stored" it outside? I would be beyond angry.
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #64
sstnt
 
sstnt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 194
This is big money...you've got to go to a Lawyer to determine your rights. There are so many permutations here that all us jailhouse lawyers are just going to confuse you.

Go to a Lawyer that specializes in Civil liability cases. Lay it out for him, along with any and all paperwork. Write down everything you remember (names, dates, times, what people said, what you did). Let him look at it and see what your rights are.
__________________
1SS ABM Manual, Black int., 20" PAWs, Sunroof
$$ down on dealer car #3466, pending Pw: 6-10-2009
Car Picked up by Shipper: 6-22-2009
Car has ARRIVED: 6-24-2009 (and she's a beauty!)
sstnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #65
hightower
LS3 Black Widow
 
hightower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Madison, GA
Posts: 4,561
This sucks man. I wish the best of luck to you. I've seen your 'vert on the forum a lot, beautiful camaro, I hope it's restored to it's former glory, OR you get it bought back and have an opportunity to buy another camaro!

Either way, best of luck to you!
__________________
hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #66
Wantconvertible

 
Wantconvertible's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHILA PA
Posts: 1,736
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #67
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 8,534
So, it was at the dealer. What caused the water damage...I don't mean "water". I mean...was it weather related, or did they put it through a car wash with the windows open.
__________________
2014 LBM Stingray Z51, Mag Ride, Perf Exhst, Comp Seats
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Steve Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #68
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush
 
Bodih's Avatar
 
Drives: it like I stoles it...
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstnt View Post
This is big money...you've got to go to a Lawyer to determine your rights. There are so many permutations here that all us jailhouse lawyers are just going to confuse you.

Go to a Lawyer that specializes in Civil liability cases. Lay it out for him, along with any and all paperwork. Write down everything you remember (names, dates, times, what people said, what you did). Let him look at it and see what your rights are.
^^This!

Lawyer up. It's the only way you're going to know what you have legal claim to, and get them to repsond legitimately. Otherwise, they're all just going to keep pointing at each other and providing lip service, hoping you'll finally give up. Best of luck to you. Hate to see this happen to such a devoted vert lover!
__________________


My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #69
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
Dropped in on the trim shop. The dealer had removed the wet dank carpet. The trim shop does not believe the original bag had any problems. In fact he stated that they never touched the original bag at all to put on the new top. I got a chance to look at the old bag and the "split drain tub" explanation from the service department does not hold water.

The car is currently in limbo because the new bag has an additional set of drain tubes that no one knows where or how to route.

The foul smell inside the car is gone. Not sure how that was done.

And another wrinkle to this top story is that I have figured that about 80 miles have been put on the car in the last month that the dealer has had it. It is about 10 miles between the dealership and the trim shop. No one told me the car was going to driven between the locations.

Can these dealerships do what they want how they want for as long as they want without reprisal?! Is this what GM wants associated with its brand?
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #70
owensmat
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 222
Thought I'd share my story with ya, based on things you've said in your thread. Different circumstances, but hopefully you'll find it helpful? Like you, I bought my car to keep and love. I've had all kinds of nice cars and I love this SS vert! Had an accident in May that was not my fault. Happened just after I got it exactly where I wanted it with a drop kit, tint, stripes, headers, tune, CAI, debadged, blacked out, new grill, etc. Car was gone for three months for repair. The accident was devastating to me. In short, they stripped it back to the firewall. I thought I'd never think of it the same way, that it would never be the same again, and that I'd want to dump it afterward. I picked a good shop and rode them throughout the repair. I've had it back a month now and I can honestly tell you that I love it still. It drives like new and has no issues whatsoever. I even had them throw a ZL1 front bumper on. So, in spite of bad circumstances, sometimes things workout well. I hope the same goes for you too! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Dropped in on the trim shop. The dealer had removed the wet dank carpet. The trim shop does not believe the original bag had any problems. In fact he stated that they never touched the original bag at all to put on the new top. I got a chance to look at the old bag and the "split drain tub" explanation from the service department does not hold water.

The car is currently in limbo because the new bag has an additional set of drain tubes that no one knows where or how to route.

The foul smell inside the car is gone. Not sure how that was done.
owensmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #71
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmat View Post
Thought I'd share my story with ya, based on things you've said in your thread. Different circumstances, but hopefully you'll find it helpful? Like you, I bought my car to keep and love. I've had all kinds of nice cars and I love this SS vert! Had an accident in May that was not my fault. Happened just after I got it exactly where I wanted it with a drop kit, tint, stripes, headers, tune, CAI, debadged, blacked out, new grill, etc. Car was gone for three months for repair. The accident was devastating to me. In short, they stripped it back to the firewall. I thought I'd never think of it the same way, that it would never be the same again, and that I'd want to dump it afterward. I picked a good shop and rode them throughout the repair. I've had it back a month now and I can honestly tell you that I love it still. It drives like new and has no issues whatsoever. I even had them throw a ZL1 front bumper on. So, in spite of bad circumstances, sometimes things workout well. I hope the same goes for you too! Good luck!

Thanks. When I saw the car today I was glad to see it. Sounds strange to have these feelings for a car... at least on this site I am not alone.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #72
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 8,534
I never heard an answer to my question as far as what the dealer actually did.

The reason I ask is that others have brought up the lemon law. IF this damage occurred because of Hurricane rain on the lot, lemon laws probably would have nothing to do with this.

The dealer would still be responsible, however I believe it might be treated different from a car that had ongoing mechanical problems they were working on. Now, the damage is storm related, and might be covered in a different way than a normal repair would.

Lawyer up, regardless.
__________________
2014 LBM Stingray Z51, Mag Ride, Perf Exhst, Comp Seats
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Steve Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #73
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I never heard an answer to my question as far as what the dealer actually did.

The reason I ask is that others have brought up the lemon law. IF this damage occurred because of Hurricane rain on the lot, lemon laws probably would have nothing to do with this.

The dealer would still be responsible, however I believe it might be treated different from a car that had ongoing mechanical problems they were working on. Now, the damage is storm related, and might be covered in a different way than a normal repair would.

Lawyer up, regardless.
Dude you have to read the thread... my car was stored outside by the dealership for over three weeks BEFORE the hurricane. They stored a car that they were repairing for a top leak outside!!
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #74
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 8,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Dude you have to read the thread... my car was stored outside by the dealership for over three weeks BEFORE the hurricane. They stored a car that they were repairing for a top leak outside!!
I did read the thread.

I understand it was at the dealers for 3 weeks outside. My question still stands. Did the water damage happen DURING the aftermath of the hurricane, or had it rained during those 3 weeks and that was when it was damaged. That part was not clear in any of the posts.
__________________
2014 LBM Stingray Z51, Mag Ride, Perf Exhst, Comp Seats
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Steve Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #75
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
Read the op it had been three weeks on 8/30
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
mold water corrosion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.