Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Playing with ideas

I've been reading various threads and it's great to see people so excited about customizing their Camaros. There have been some very cool ideas I've seen so far.

I've been playing around with ideas for my own car; haven't quite decided what I want to do yet. I've literally spent hours and hours and hours adding things, subtracting things, changing things with Illustrator on a pic of my color Camaro and the more I play with it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that less is more with this car.

It's already got an incredibly strong identity in the way every line in every panel ties in and flows together for the entire car shape. Changing ANYthing really has an impact on the whole look.

I know some members in other threads had inquired about pinstriping; here's a snap of ideas I'm currently playing with for my own car; feedback is appreciated!
Attached Images

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
I sorta like the orange striping would have to see real world though. I don't like ss and rs bardge being diff colors, both badges might be ok but same color maybe. I will most likely keep my bowtie and proudly display my chevy.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Interesting. 77 people have viewed this thread but only 1 left a comment. I know people are usually very vocal about what they like or don't like so I'm not sure how to interpret no comment. Do people sorta like it but are afraid to say so? Do people not like it and don't want to offend by saying so? Maybe people aren't sure one way or the other so they aren't saying anything.

Interesting.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-31-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Interesting sort of take on hockey stick stripes, but I think I'll stick with the upper pinstripe ones from Rider Grafix.

I don't really have an opinion about the lower (and tire) pinstriping. Just not for me.

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I wouldn't mind seeing a badge with RS on top of SS for the grill. That might look good.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
First, I like how it's SUNOCO inspired....pretty cool, there. But a lot less race inspired and with a lot more every day street potential. I think it all depends on taste because like you said, there are so many things you could do!

I do like the tires...raised lettering, black rim, matching pin stripe around the edge of the wheel (or just inside the outer edge so you don't scratch it up if you happen to run up against a curb...that could mess up not only the rim, but the entire line).

What color were you looking to go for with the pin stripes? Is it more of an orange or yellow like the SUNOCO car? Either orange or yellow would go well with this combo. I've always been more of a fan of yellow with this shade of blue. Don't get me wrong, orange looks good too, but I just like how the yellow pops and compliments the IBM.

Badges: I think I'd put the Camaro with SS below it on the sides and only put the RS in the center of the grill. At least, I'd like to see how that looks. If you keep both, I'd either make both the same color, or keep all SS's the same color and make the RS pinstripe color too....or chrome. I am the type that likes a main base color shade on the car with a second shade of color (stripes, etc) and then a "highlight" color....which would be all your pinstripes, etc. Going beyond that gets to be too much of a color spectrum and makes it, IMO, too busy (not that you are doing that, but the red in the grill seems like it throws off the theme).

Looking at the side shot, were you planning on doing anything to the back? ...maybe satin in the back panel?...no pin stripes back there, right?

I like the sig pic...looks good. Other ideas...black door handles and spoiler? I do like the light color painted bottom (can't tell if those are GFX in the sig)....but yeah...that would be tough to keep clean...

All in all I like it. Different take on the hockey's for sure...but they do work with the car and the lines.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Interesting take on the striping, dude. The only thing I'd correct is to tone down the badging. Keep the SS in the center of the grille but ditch the red RS. Where do you plain on getting WRL tires?
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I like it. I usually am a purest, but I think I really like that setup. The blacked out rims and and the matching stripes on the wheels/tires is a nice touch. I can't wait to see what you finally decide to do in real life.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
I don't like the pin stripes at all but that's on your photoshop, would be interesting to see the actual pin stripes in person or a real Camaro.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
chevy dude

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM Camaro
Not bad...If your a Nascar fanI think you might have a problem finding low-profile tires with white-letteringOther than that i think it could be done.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
I like the striping layout, looks pretty cool.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Thanks for the feedback guys! And Tag is correct on the Sunoco inspiration. Perhaps I should tell the story of what started this...

I was a huge fan of the old Penske/Donohue Sunoco Camaro's and Ferrari's. I loved the deep blue and Sunoco orange/yellow combination. My first idea was to come up with a modern variation based on the Sunoco theme, which was a close to full race look with numbers just like Mark Donohue's old cars. Then I pulled the race logos/numbers off and played around with that look. Then I studied the Donohue Sunoco Ferrari 512 and added the polished metal lower area his Ferrari had (I couldn't figure out how to get a polished metal look with Adobe Illustrator so it's kind of whitish but you get the idea). I kept subtracting, modifying until I came up with the first image I posted in this thread.

Based on the feedback I've done a shot without the red RS logo which makes the front cleaner and now that I've looked at it, I like it better that way (thanks to those who suggested it!). I've done one without the white tire lettering; one without the wheel pinstripe; and finally one with only the hockey stick.

They each have their own appeal which is why it's been hard to decide which way to go. Maybe if everybody sees the flow of ideas and inspiration behind the varioius looks they can get a better idea of what I was trying to do.

I appreciate the feedback everyone!
Attached Images

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here are some of the images that were the source of "inspiration".
Attached Images

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-31-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

To answer a few of the other questions:

I don't think you can get tires with the white lettering anymore so I'd just use a lettering stick to white in the letters.

Color on the pinstripes would be the Sunoco yellow/orange. As you can see in the photos of the old Sunoco cars, they had both yellow and the yellow/orange of the SUNOCO lettering.

Haven't quite decided what to do with the back other than black out the rear panel and put an SS logo there. The back already has so much going on I don't know that it needs anything else really. Hardest part of the car to modify without messing it up I think.

I tried the idea of the RS on top of the SS and then I tried it below the SS but it looked too clunky; too much lettering in the grill so I just left it off with only the SS which I think looks pretty good as-is.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 05-31-2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spell correction