Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Lowering on 22s

Hey guys, I have a 2012 2SS with Modulare 22s. I run 255/35/22 up front and 305/30/22 in the back. I would like to lower my car to get a better stance. Ride Quality is the most important thing, I don't do AutoX or circuit racing. I might go to the strip once a month, but that's it. I am interested in lowering springs or coilovers, may consider the Airlift digital kit. I will be pushing at least 700hp to the wheels soon, so that is also a factor. Thanks in advance for your responses.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
At 700rwhp you will be needing some more extensive suspension upgrades besides just lowering. Otherwise you won't be able to make use of all that power. What is your budget for your suspension upgrades?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
2SS45th

Well, whatever it takes to make it ride and handle right.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Well, whatever it takes to make it ride and handle right.
With 700 rwhp on the horizon I would recommend the following:

Pfadt Race Engineering Rear Arm Package
Pfadt Race Engineering Differential Bushings
Pfadt Race Engineering Solid Subframe Bushings
BMR Fabrication Rear Upper Control Arm Bushing Kit, Inner

There is a lot of flex and movement in the rear of these cars and those upgrades should eliminate wheel hop and improve traction and control. Regarding the coil over versus lowering springs debate, with coil overs you can tune the ride to be just about any way you like it. However, if ride quality is your only concern and you are not tracking the car then that comes at a considerable cost. A good set of lowering springs are 1/10th the price of a good set of coil overs and the ride quality is very good. I would probably go with lowering springs if I were in your shoes. Specifically, with the Pfadt ZL Spec Stage 2 (lowering springs and front and rear adjustable sway bars) and upgrade the front end links.

If you did go with the set up I just described, you would have a complete suspension package capable of supporting and fully exploiting the power you will soon be making and all for about the same money as you would have paid for just a good set of coil overs. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
2SS45th

Sweet! I thought I was about to get hit with some 5k dollar package or something. Hmmm I wonder who I should buy this from?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
chase
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a 2012 2SS with Modulare 22s. I run 255/35/22 up front and 305/30/22 in the back. I would like to lower my car to get a better stance. Ride Quality is the most important thing, I don't do AutoX or circuit racing. I might go to the strip once a month, but that's it. I am interested in lowering springs or coilovers, may consider the Airlift digital kit. I will be pushing at least 700hp to the wheels soon, so that is also a factor. Thanks in advance for your responses.
I run the same tire setup you run and close to the same power,give us a call i can save you some money and headaches lol
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
chase
Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Brandon@LSRPerformance

Drives: N/A
Quote:
You are definitely going to want to upgrade the suspension with that much power. I'd be glad to put together a kit for you if you want to shoot me a PM.
Brandon@LSRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
TinyToasta

Drives: way too fast....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
With 700 rwhp on the horizon I would recommend the following:

Pfadt Race Engineering Rear Arm Package
Pfadt Race Engineering Differential Bushings
Pfadt Race Engineering Solid Subframe Bushings
BMR Fabrication Rear Upper Control Arm Bushing Kit, Inner
exactly that

I've added the Pfadt LCA and Trailing Arm Bushings for the front to that very setup and I'm more than happy with it. A complete different car after changing out the stock components. You have so much more control over what is going on with the car in any situation, plus no wheelhop whatsoever, not even talking about the plus on traction...

But I wouldn't ruin the setup by just lowering the car using springs... get the most decent coilovers your budget allows, and you're golden!!!

Even if rare in the States just don't get a KW V1 - it's rubbish....
CTS-V Brake upgrade, Street: 22'' Vossen CV1, Strip: 18'' Forgestar F14 on MT Street Radials
TinyToasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
2SS45th

I am ordeering some Eibach R2 External Reservoir coilovers, they should be ok

Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
I run the same tire setup you run and close to the same power,give us a call i can save you some money and headaches lol
I would also like to throw out there that i cut 1.7x sixty foot with my combo
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote